2014-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle

Yesterday, April 10, 2014, the United States Mint began accepting orders for the 2014-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle. The coins were launched during a busy week, which also saw three other numismatic releases, the sell out of the Baseball Hall of Fame Silver Dollars, and the CCAC’s discussion of a potential redesign for the Silver Eagle.

2014-W American Silver Eagle

The numismatic offerings for the American Silver Eagle have become some of the US Mint’s most popular products. In recent years, the individual proof offering has become the Mint’s top seller in terms of unit sales, exceeding the sales level of the traditionally popular annual proof set. For the three prior years, special anniversary sets containing Silver Eagles with special finishes have created considerable excitement for collectors. Somewhat out of the spotlight, the US Mint has also been offering an annual collectible uncirculated version of the coin.

The collectible uncirculated or “burnished” American Silver Eagle had been introduced in 2006 as part of the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set. The coins were described as having been struck on specially burnished blanks and carrying the “W” mint mark. For the inaugural year, the coins were offered as part of two different anniversary sets as well as individually, reaching combined total of 466,573 coins.

In the following two years, the collectible uncirculated Silver Eagles were offered individually and within a newly introduced Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. Sales were relatively robust, reaching 621,333 coins in 2007 and 533,757 coins in 2008 across the product options. In 2009 and 2010, the offering was canceled due to high demand for bullion coins and the requirements of the law in place at the time.

The offering would be resumed in 2011, reaching individual sales of 309,927 plus an additional 100,000 included in the 25th Anniversary Set for a total of 409,927. In 2012, the coins were offered individually and within the relaunched Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set, reaching sales of 230,872 across both options.

The prior year 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle reached sales of 178,941 when it sold out in December 2013, however the coin still remains available within the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set which has sales of 37,343. Across both options, this makes for a total of 216,284 coins and counting.

This year’s 2014-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle features the standard design of Adolph A. Weinman’s depiction of Walking Liberty on the obverse paired with John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle design on the reverse. The coins are struck on specially burnished blanks and carry the “W” mint mark on the reverse. Each coin is struck in .999 fine silver with a weight of 1.0000 troy ounces and diameter of 40.60 mm.

The US Mint has offered the coins without a stated maximum mintage or household ordering limit.

Initial pricing for the coins is $43.95. Orders fulfilled through the US Mint’s Online Subscription Program are charged the discounted price of $39.55. Last year, the offering had initially been priced at $48.95 per coin, but was reduced to $43.95 following a decline in the market price of silver.

Comments

1. ips_stuff says

Looking for some insight/help

When ordering from the mint and having products shipped to my house, the tracking numbers work great and give valid information. When shipping to my PO box they never work. I now have a shipping that I believe is missing. The tracking number is suffixed with UPS and I know it does not ship ups, since on the same order I have already received “the bag” and silver hof coins and the box was marked usps priority mail. I also received a gold shipment of HOF today for a different order that indicated it was shipping on 4/10. I can’t even use the number below the ZIP USPS signature confirmation on the box I received to find what is or is not a useful close for my missing item. The mint can only tell me they will send me a form for missing shipment that indicates it shipped 4/7, they can’t track it either.

any help or insight would be appreciated.

2. Sith says

…for the most part I hate expedited shipping. I understand why its is done but not how it is implemented

ips, I had my gold shipped to me with a USPS tracking number and a UPS at the end. Although I couldn’t track it, the US Mint customer service rep was able to track it. If I were you, I would call the Mint again and try another rep. Or, your post master should be able to track it.

4. IndenturedServant says

regarding the 5 oz ATB pucks and quality issues mentioned by Provident. Initially I started collecting these both the bullion and collectible version. What a fiasco that first issue was! Anyway I seem to recall that getting very high grade bullion coins was very difficult because the devices on the coins stand just a tidy bit proud of the rim so when the put them into the tubes they rub against each other and cause damage. Since Provident has stopped selling individual coins and switched to monster boxes only leads me to believe this is still the case.

How many coins come in a 5oz ATB monster box anyway? Surely not 500 I hope!

5. MarkInFlorida says

ips same thing happened to me I called the Mint and they tracked it and I asked the tracking number and it was the same as the one online, but without the UPS at the end, and with an extra zero. Then I tried taking the UPS off my other shipment number and added zero, nothing, added 1, etc. until I added 4 and it worked!

So take the number, delete the UPS and try it with 0, then with 1, then with 2, etc. and eventually you should get your real tracking number. By the way,my gold arrived safely at my PO box with that number.

The only problems I personally have encountered with the AtB bullion coins is the rub marks which seem to be prevalent on many of the coins and do appear to originate at the Mint. Provident must believe that they will do ok selling only in high quantities, which will probably be the case. I really can’t blame Provident for not wanting to deal with all the nit picking from conscientious bullion collectors, they can just order theirs from APMEX, as I will!

7. Ray says

@Dustyroads, how do you have UPS 2nd day air delivered to your po box? jw. I also liked having a po box, but ups and fedex wouldnt deliver to it. Maybe its an old policy.

8. IPS_STUFF says

@MarkInFlorida

Thanks for the tip – so added #7 and found my tracking. It indicates it was delivered on 4/9
    I have received other packages on the 9th and three today (11th), so either they local post office has lost it
    or someone took it. I will take the tracking information to the local post office on Monday and try to be polite about it.

9. HIdalgo says

Off Topic – I noticed this message on USMint.gov this morning. I’m not sure what its impact will mean to those who ordered the maximum (or near-maximum) numbers of BHOF coins.

2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Coin Program: Due to the extremely strong demand for the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins, household order limits apply to all products. The United States Mint will continue to evaluate these ordering limits on a regular basis and adjust or remove the limits accordingly. We appreciate your patience as we work hard to provide you all of your coin collecting needs.

@Hidalgo – that message means almost nothing. That is/was posted when the HOF coins were released and the mint set the HH limits. The mint could have adjusted the limits again higher or lower – but they typically don’t do it discreetly. If they were going to change the limits they would have announced it again. They aren’t just changing them quietly – they set them and haven’t changed them to something else after the orders were taken.

There aren’t any – you ordered 50 we are shipping you 40 notices going out.

11. HIdalgo says

@thePhelps – your assumption is the same as mine. However, as you know, one should never assume….

I do find it interesting that the US Mint would post such a notice on its home page. I don’t have to worry since I did not place any orders at or even close the maximum amounts for the gold, silver, or clad BHOF coins.

12. Doug says

Curious when someone finally gets an order for ATB from Provident. Did you guys check out the picture they posted for the single GSM ATB. Poor George looks like they took a rake to his head with deep grooves going across the coin. So may be they opened there first monster box and found all the coins had these scrapes? Wouldn’t you just take a picture of one of the 2013 ATB’s for the image of George if this was the case? I guess kudos to them for being honest about quality control and telling everyone there are issues with the coins and actually posting the image of the real coins even with the damage. I hope when buyers get their bullion with this damage they won’t just send them back since you were warned to begin with. Since they told me they wouldn’t issue individual coins I already purchased elsewhere but I really prefer to use Provident again.

Ray, I didn’t have the Mint ship in any reticular way, I just have a P.O. on file with them. This most recent shipping of the gold HoF order is the first time the Mint has shipped to me using USPS, and the UPS on the end of the tracking number is a mystery to everyone, even the Mint rep. Typically the Mint ships to me using Fedex, and they deliver to a post office 5 miles north of my town, then that post office delivers to my post office. I’ve never had a problem with it.

14. HIdalgo says

By the way, the announcement about ordering limits for the BHOF coins appears on USMint.gov’s “Shop” home page (versus the main home page).

The “Shop” home page also clarifies the USMint’s policy on its free bag giveaway. It states:

About the Shipment of Free Bags: Customers whose products are on backorder received their free reusable bags in a separate shipment as part of our “We Love Our Customers” promotion. Customers will not be charged an additional $4.95 for their upcoming order.

15. stephen m says

The first year, 2006w uncirculated ase, that I purchased in NGC black label 20th anniversary 70 sets has appreciated to the point that the asking price for the uncirculated coin in the set has an asking price of what I paid for the three coin set. I don’t know why but the same coin in ms70 without the black label sells for considerably less.

16. mark says

The 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle in the Blue Label comes from the gold and silver set not the silver set. The one from the silver set will have a Black Label, . Hope this helps.

17. Ikaika says

@ Stephen m

The black label coin was part of the three coin anniversary set. The TPG companies only assigned this label if they were sent in the sealed mint box. Besides this, there is really no difference in the coins. In fact, the regular 2006 w burnished might have come from the same batch as those placed in the anniversary set.

18. S. Knight says

These “W” uncirculated American Silver Eagles from 2006 have been dropping in mintages.

I believe – don’t know if this is the Mint Audit number(s) – this is the score:

2006 W = 466,573
    2007 W = 533,757
    2008 W = 533,757
    2011 W = 409,927
    2012 W = 226,120
    2013 W = 216,000 ish still in a UNC dollar set being sold now
    2014 W = unknown but issued

I bought right they would make a NICE sub-set – kinda like in a way –
    like the CC Morgans of yesteryear. So would the sub-set ASE REVERSE PROOFS as,
    Of course, the 2011 S = 99,882 to match.

Best wishes out there.

19. stephen m says

Ikaika, That’s right but the black label w70 commands a premium. Only difference is the label or pedigree. Thanks. @mark the blue label, in ms70, you speak of commands an even higher price than the black label. As Ikaika said all three could have came from the same batch. The difference is the label signifying where it was supposedly to have come from.

20. Ikaika says

@ Stephen m

Yes, the label in these cases is the difference. If the coins were removed from the holders, nobody could tell which came from where. Similar things happening with these releases by the mint at the coin shows (e.g. ANA RP buffalo and the BHOF coins). I personally do not care about these, but there is always someone willing to pay more for the label. IMHO, in the long term these labels will be meaningless.

I picked up my Shenandoah circulation quality AtB-S roll yesterday at the post office, these are very “proof like,” they even appear more so to me than all the other examples of this type of quarter. Anyone else think so?

22. Mark Rex says

@Dusty; didn’t know the post office sold new atb coins; is that all or just select post offices?

Does anyone know the populations of ms70/pr70 for the gold bhof in ngc and pcgs? Can’t seem to find it anywhere, I want to find out the odds of getting a 70 for my coins.

@Mark Rex – I think Dusty meant he picked them up at his PO Box at the post office.

I think it is too soon to get a good reading on the 70 numbers. I couldn’t find the numbers either – but I’ve seen them posted somewhere. If they are anywhere near last years WP ASE it would be a definite huge win for the mint, but I suspect they will be much less than that.

24. Blair J Tobler says

Now we have to click on “Older Comments” to see the beginning? Definitely not a fan of the new format…..

PCGS population report for gold. 75% unc & 80% proof have graded 70. About 125 of each graded thus far.

Silver…63% unc and 64% proof have graded 70. (out of 380 uncs and 545 proofs graded)

The pop reports are only upgraded once a week.

26. Dave says

So the true premium is not really on the 70, but what’s printed on the pretty slip of paper at the top of the slab? Sorry, that’s not for me – think I’ll stay with gvt. Box & cert!

Dave – I think many of us believe the label craze will eventually fade. (I really hope people figure out they can buy a printer and make labels).

The grading aspect is what TPG is suppose to provide – not some “retro-cool-classic-holder and label”. It does appear far too many new collectors are into labels, and far too many profiteers are all about making the labels an aspect of collecting.

Since I started collecting coins years ago – and first started seeing graded coins regularly – the mantra has always been buy the coin not the grade – and has evolved to buy the coin not the label. Early on grading by different companies left a lot to be desired and you were always told to use your own eyes – I don’t see this as having changed that aspect to me. My eyes tell me a graded 70 coin – that I agree with the grade – is worth no more in a retro – cool holder than any other equally 70 graded coin.