24 Karat Gold 2014 Kennedy Half Dollars

2014 Kennedy Half DollarThe agenda for the forthcoming meeting of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) has revealed the United States Mint’s plans to offer a special product featuring a 2014 Kennedy Half Dollar struck in 24 karat gold.

Specifically the agenda includes “discussion of a 2014 24K Gold Kennedy Half-Dollar Special Product.”

Collectors have known since last year that the US Mint was evaluating potential numismatic products to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the series. A survey distributed in the spring had mentioned a range of potential products, which mixed various combinations of mint marks, finishes, and compositions. The mint marks had included “P”, “D”, “S”, or “W”. The finishes had included proof, reverse proof, or uncirculated. The compositions had only mentioned copper-nickel clad and 90% silver. Initially, two-coin, three-coin, and four-coin sets had been considered.

As yet, the Mint has not confirmed the specific configuration for the set or sets to be offered. The offering of a set including a 24 karat gold version of the Kennedy Half Dollar would serve to create a more upscale set and create some considerable excitement for collectors.

The US Mint has broad authority via the Secretary of the Treasury to mint and issue gold coins. Under 31 U.S.C. § 5112(i)(4)(C), the Secretary may prescribe procedures and specifications for the minting and issuance of new gold coins, including the diameter, weight, fineness, or design. This authority was used to produce the immensely popular 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin.

Back in 1999, the US Mint had also struck a limited number of Sacagawea Dollars in a composition of 22 karat gold, which carried a denomination of five dollars. The Mint had planned to sell such coins to collectors as numismatic items, although the plan was halted. Twelve examples of the gold coins carrying the “W” mint mark were sent into space aboard Shuttle Columbia and then placed in storage at Fort Knox where they still reside.

matte-finishThe US Mint has previously released a numismatic version of the Kennedy Half Dollar carrying a special matte proof finish. The coins were issued in 1998 as part of the Kennedy Collector’s Set which was available to order during a six week period. The set included the uncirculated version of the 1998 Robert F. Kennedy Commemorative Silver Dollar and a 90% silver 1998-S Kennedy Half Dollar struck with a matte finish. The coins had an approximate mintage of 62,000 pieces.

The CCAC meeting will be held on February 11, 2014 during which additional details on the 24 karat gold 2014 Kennedy Half Dollar and special set should be revealed. Coin Update News will have coverage of the meeting and Mint News Blog will circle back with some additional discussion.

Comments

@smiledon – here is the criteria used for the March of Dimes coin:

Numbered H.R. 3187, the March of Dimes Commemorative Coin Act specifies that the silver dollar design contain motifs that represent the “past, present, and future of the March of Dimes and its role as champion for all babies.”

Known today as the March of Dimes Foundation but originally named the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis (NFIP), the organization was established on January 3, 1938 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to combat polio. With vaccines ending the polio epidemic in the U.S. around the mid 1950′s, today the March of Dimes works to improve the health of mothers and babies

I would assume it will reflect on those themes.

The US Marshalls coin has the following design criteria:
    The Obverse will have a US Marshalls Service Star (aka Americas Star)
    The mint date – plus the dates 1789 and 2014…
    (plus the standard verbiage)
    The reverse…”The image should depict Marshals as the lawmen of our frontiers, including their geographic, political, or cultural history, and shall include the Marshals Service motto `Justice, Integrity, Service’.”

I finally have a surcharge fee I don’t mind paying…the March of Dimes is a worthy organization!

Reading everyone’s comments about how they won’t buy if the “BIG” dealers get their hands on them. Well I hate to break it to you guys, that is a given. With that philosophy, why are you even collecting coins? The “BIG” dealers have their hands in everything. That is how they became BIG in the first place. Also, if this is the only thing that is keeping you from collecting this then I hate to say what you and everybody else already knows is true, you are not real collectors in the first place.

4. smiledon says

This is really why I like this place; funny comments that are both spot on, and from the heart.

jaceravone is a BIG dealer! lol From what I have read, we all just FAIR and EQUAL access at the same time as the BIG dealers! This is the US Mint who says “SO ALL PEOPLE HAVE FAIR AND EQUAL ACCESS” on their website!!

6. Eddie says

If you think about it would be cool to have The March of Dimes Commemorative to be like a dime. It would be something different for a change. I would buy one.

@fm – a real collector is a person who would rather buy a coin or a set of coins from a BIG reseller after they are graded. A real collector wouldn’t buy directly from the US Mint – that is old skool stuff. A real collector believes the BIG dealers deserve first crack at any mint offering – so they can make sure the BIG dealer has plenty of repackaged coins to sell to real collectors at marked up prices – before the non collectors buy them and keep them in non-collectors OGP. I am sure there are other “real collectors” who would help define what it is they do…

8. Buzz Killington says

A real collector is someone who buys coins for the enjoyment of coins.

A speculator buys coins when he thinks he can make a profit on them, and therefore cares about what other people are doing, because it influences the market.

9. KEITHSTER says

Ya the dime size but it isn’t going to happen would have been nice and do it in Palladium please? While your at it how about a 3 coin kennedy set in gold platinum & palladium that should give your big boys somthing to do? Good luck all even tiny tims:>:>:>

I just found this video of NGC. I love NGC! But why don’t they wear some sort of gloves? I realize they are ONLY touching the edge of the coin but still oils from your hands will get on the coin and be encapsulated with those oils which may make toning or spotting occur? Maybe not. I also notice the grader is grading the coin through a coin flip? And when it is out of the flip he is using his naked eye but a loupe when inside the flip. Any thoughts?

11. Don says

John bought his collectible coins through a dealer. Bob got his coins directly from the Mint. Mike was given his Morgan silver dollars by his dad. They all have modest size collections, obtained in different ways. And they all enjoy their coins. So who is “real” collector?

12. RSF says

If you consider your coin collection to be a collection, then you are a collector.
    If you consider them inventory, then you are a dealer/flipper/investor.

13. Sith says

VA – I hear that but hopefully the RP will pickup. Just saying its not mintage, its demand that will drive the price. This offering being a unique one year coin, honoring a popular president means that demand should be higher than the RP…IMHO

14. Sith says

All this talk about real collectors buying coins…I would consider someone who went through their spare change for state quarters to fill a Whitman album a real collector, limited in scope but a “real collector.”

Acually, you can be a collector/investor/flipper all at the same time…that’s how I view myself.
    I have coins that are in my “collection” that besides being classics, have some special meaning to me. My 1882-CC Motgan (also the year my grandad was born)….my 1925 Stone Mountain half dollars…(I live near there and it is also the year my parents were born)….my 1955 Proof set (the year I was born). Those are coins I’ll always keep.

Modern coins, I buy, flip and keep some too. As an example, I bought 3 sets of the 2013-P ATB 5 ozcoins…I sold two sets(made about $175/set) and kept one…so the set I kept only costs me $460.

Anyway, I don’t mean to bore you guys with every buy/sell I do, but I just wanted to say I was first introduced to coin collecting at a young age… 7 or 8 with my blue Whitman albums…and I collected mercury dimes…and most were well circulated, but that didn’t matter to me…each different date and mint mark (especially the “S”) made my heart pound with excitement as I went through my dads change. And I stll have those Mercury dimes today…and while they may not be worth much, the joy and memories of my childhood they bring are priceless.

@samuel: ok, lots of new members since then I assume. Great! So what are your thoughts? Do you have a link to the thread where it was discussed? Appreciate it, anyone else have any thoughts? Thank you all for ALL viewpoints. It really helps.

17. Samuel says

fm, thats long time ago. basically, no one like their coins handled by naked fingers, but u have no choice. i also shared my experience about a 70 coin with smooth edge, u can see finger prints there.

18. Buzz Killington says

Steve, you are right, you can be all of them. If you like coins, you may also speculate in them. But the original comment was right on target, if you are worrying about what other people are buying a coin, you are not buying it as a coin collector, you are buying it as a speculator, considering what the future price will be.

Here is a good example, a speculator would say “I am not getting this coin, because the dealers will have big inventories.”

A collector might say, “I am not getting this coin from the Mint, because I think the price will decline, and I can pick it up from a dealer who has to take a loss.”
    This was true for lots and lots of Modern commems — they did not retain the value of their issue price.

I also bristled at the idea that windows where coins can be purchased without limits is bad for the hobby. It is the best and fairest way.

I have been in the game long enough to remember when the White House silver dollar commanded a premium because of the “tiny” 200,000 mintage.

19. Buzz Killington says

Sorry, the “tiny” White House mintage was 500,000 that sold out. Those were the days!

Wow Steve, you remind me so much of myself. I had a grandparent born 1893 and a nice AU Barber half to commemorate his birth, but sold it not long ago. I’ll find another one someday that is uncirculated. I can testify to the fact that the S mint mark will always be a special one to me, that’s the reason I enjoy owning the complete sets of the AtB quarters with the S mint mark. I’ve never really like the word collect, since people can collect anything for all kinds of reasons, and too many instances end up with more stuff they know what to do with. I guess I’m blessed being that I am not overflowing with cash and buying everything in sight, so I do try to wisely buy what I feel will appreciate, and that is bringing a great deal of enjoyment when I hit it just right. I like the Kennedy half in particular because of the reverse and would like to see it remain if the gold coin is produced, but as Brian posted earlier, it would be easy for some to gold plate a 2014. The new gold half would half to be unique for sure, a privy mark would be excellent.

21. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Michael’s blog is good because we can have our opinions heard. I think a lot of great designs in the past few years has been due to this blog.

I started collecting coins in the 60’s when my dad pointed out that the US was no longer going to make coins out of silver. My initial foray was collecting war nickels. In the 80’s and 90’s I ordered select products from the mint via mail order, and in the late 90’s I started ordering online. (kind of fun to look in your order history and see what products you missed along the way – but they are listed all the way back to 2001).

This trend of competing against large marketing firms for mint releases isn’t an age old thing – it is a newer trend driven by the internet and cable T.V. You can look at eBay and see many people buying brand new mint releases from resellers and realize that many people still don’t even know they can buy directly from the mint for much less.

That is what the resellers a preying on. The HSN guy hyping his purchase of 5,000 1st day 1 of a kind special label can’t find it anywhere else set of these beautiful coins… (which are still available for purchase straight from the mint).

So maybe I’m not a real collector. I just think the mint needs to be a bit more fair in the ordering process. The WP set showed exactly how flawed it is. Deep pocket buyers can order months of production and wreak havoc on the system – within minutes of the product going to market. That process both inflated the original resell price – and has deflated the value of the sets as time goes by. The mint made a killing, the resellers made a killing, and collectors either canceled their orders or waited it out.

Even a 1 week window of household limits would end most of that gaming the system for most of us.

23. Don says

Sooner or later, as a collector, you will buy or trade coins for many purposes, including upgrading your collection, streamlining and specializing the collection, etc. One’s interests change and evolve over a period of time. This is true of all types of collections–cars, antique tools, model trains, etc. So yes, you can be a collector-dealer at the same time.

Dusty Road,
    I agree. The Kennedy Half reverse is a very impressive design.

24. Eddie says

When I said what I said about The March of Dimes being minted the size of a dime be still have 1oz content. This is what I had in mind:Niue 2013 $50 Fortuna Redux Mercury unique Cylinder Shaped 6Oz Proof Silver Coin.
    It would be something different unique. I know I would diffidently want a couple.

Yes the Kennedy reverse is a Frank Gasparro design and I often look for his designs, how I came across the Wedge Tail Eagle. I respect Frank’s story, he was a humble man. He was proud of his penny reverse and often mentioned to people that they have his art in their pocket. With that said, I am plan to have a FG coin/medal sent in for grading as I received an email back stating they WOULD grade it. Looking forward to seeing what happens. Good luck all!

26. Eddie says

fm
    I want one of those so bad.but with the Gold Kennedy coming out this year I’ll have to wait until next year to saVE UP AND GET ONE.

yea me too…they seem to be around but prices are going up as they get bought and who knows, another stunner may come out. They sure know how to keep us intrigued! lol

28. reddirt says

Couldn’t agree more….
    ———————————
    If the big dealers are allowed to purchase mass quantities I’m ordering NONE. They have killed the hobby for me as far as modern coins are concerned.
    ———————————

The game is now rigged for the big online guys… The mint should stand up and take notice to this. How shameful the West Point set was. Do the right thing USMINT, do the RIGHT thing!

29. Eddie says

@jj
    Are you saying the Mint will be minting a UHR gold Kennedy half? That might work. Because the Mint will have to make it thicker to mint a UHR. At least could make it the size of the Kennedy half but will be thicker than the regular half. Someone smarter than me might be able to tell us.
    That would be great IMHO.

30. Jerry Diekmann says

frmtransmitter – very sorry – I left off the “D” – twice as many 1964s as 1964Ds. Spell check wouldn’t catch that, if spell check worked on this blog.

31. Jerry Diekmann says

Smiledon – no more military or sports coins for me – so I won’t be buying a coin for marshalls, whoever that might represent. Given the kinds of commemorative coins the Mint churns out, you would think the USA is a reincarnation of ancient Sparta – all military and sports. There are other aspects of life at least as important or more important than warfare and the Olympics – I wish we would see more of people who were not involved in either endeavor – it’s been overload now for a long time, IMO.

32. Jerry Diekmann says

Why don’t they make the March of Dimes commemorative (if there is to be one) on the dime – it would be perfect on the reverse of the FDR dime since he was associated with the March of Dimes. Better yet, make it a 1-year circulating commemmorative. Probably won’t happen because it would be logical and logic is not in the Mint or Congress’ dictionary.

33. Eagle One says

I have been anticipating this Gold Kennedy coin for a long time now. Finally, it looks like it’s gonna happen. However, the thought of an UHR bothers me. I think the coin should maintain the exact dimensional specifications as the original coin. The size and shape should remain constant as a tribute to the coin itself. I think the Mint did a great job with the 1998-S Silver Matte Coin and this is one of my most favorite coins. If the mint could do the same with Gold and in a matte finish – that would be great. There is no need to target a mass of one ounce. Just make it out of gold and who cares what it weights. Put a “W” mint mark on it and make two silver mattes with “P” and “D” mint marks. And there you go; a perfect three coin set tribute. The end to an amazing 50 year run.

34. Eddie says

But the Irish Kennedy coin gets very tiresome .I thought like you did the more I Looked at it the more I bored I got with it.

35. Eddie says

I also hope the Mint doesn’t over price the coins ans sets so much over price the little guy can’t afforded one because that was what the first coins were all about putting one in about hand in not who’s hand could afford one hand. @ eagle On
    I agree I agree with you with all of the technology we have today the Nint should be able to make this happen.

36. SKM says

“Put a “W” mint mark on it( i.e. Gold) and make two silver mattes with “P” and “D” mint marks. And there you go; a perfect three coin set tribute. The end to an amazing 50 year run.”

Well said, Eagle One!!