2014-W Uncirculated American Gold Eagle

Today May 22, 2014, the United States Mint has started accepting orders for the 2014-W Uncirculated $50 American Gold Eagle. This represents a collectible uncirculated version has typically seen a low final mintage compared to the more popular bullion and proof issues.

2014-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle

The obverse design of the coin features the classic full figure depiction of Liberty by sculptor Augustus Saint Gaudens. The reverse features a depiction of a family of eagles designed by Miley Busiek. Both designs have been used across all bullion and collector coins of the series since 1986.

The 2014-W Uncirculated Gold Eagles are struck on specially burnished blanks with a finish similar to the bullion counterparts. The coins are more clearly differentiated by the placement of the “W” mint mark on the obverse below the date. Each coin is struck in 22 karat gold and contains 1 troy ounce of gold content.

As in prior years, the United States Mint has offered the coins without a stated mintage limit and without a household ordering limit. Initial pricing is $1,575.00 per coin based on a weekly average gold price within the $1,250 to $1,299.99 range. Pricing may be adjusted weekly based on changes in the average market price of gold.

As mentioned, the collectible uncirculated Gold Eagles have typically seen low final mintage levels. The mintage levels for the bullion versions are driven in large part by precious metals investment demand. The proof versions, which have been offered since 1986, have a larger collector base which drives higher sales and mintage levels. The collectible uncirculated version was introduced in 2006 for the 20th anniversary of the series and has seen relatively slow sales in recent years.

The 2012-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle currently holds the lowest mintage for any coin of the series at just 5,829 pieces. (See all Gold Eagle mintages here.) Last year, the 2013-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle sold out with last reported sales of 7,293 pieces.

Comments

1. HIdalgo says

@Joe – my 2000 silver panda coin from China, from what I can see, looks authentic. After I weigh it, I can confirm its authenticity.

I have had more problems with dishonest sellers from the United States. I remember one time I bought what the seller said was a 1955/55 double die Lincoln penny. The photos were a blurry, but the seller sounded honest so I purchased it. When I received it, I immediately saw that the coin was a 1955 “poor man’s double die.” I tried to return the coin, but the seller would not allow me to do so or even allow me to receive a refund.

I contacted PayPal and eBay for assistance. Both were of little help. I called my credit card company, and they immediately put a hold on the transaction. Thank goodness for credit card companies — they really are interested in stopping fraud. :) I left the seller with negative feedback and a comment that would warn others of the seller.

Anyone see that half eagle C mint mark on Pawn Stars…Cha ching…Cannot believe someone would walk into a Pawn shop on national TV and sell it for half it value. Any coin shop would of been a better option not to mention just getting it graded and certified. Guy said he needed home improvements but didn’t look hard up for cash. Was his Grandfathers…That was hard to watch him give that coin away…

Same here with a V.D.B., picture showed it clear as day, I couldn’t see it with a 20X loupe when it got here. No recourse.

4. HIdalgo says

@fmtransmitter – I’ve learned that when you buy anything via the internet, to pay for the items with your credit card. Credit card companies do an outstanding job in preventing fraud and deception. If you have a legitimate concern, pick up your phone and call them. They’ll stop payment quickly. :)

Don’t rely on PayPal or eBay to help you out.

fm…yeah, I saw the 1861-C on Pawn Stars….they gave him $8000 I think. I agree, he should of had it graded as that could/would make a big difference in its value. Well, at least they were honest with him and told him it was real.

6. Pittsburgh P says

Hildago you said you’ve had a lot more problems with us sellers. What is your split in dealing with us/international? Is it 50/50 or more like 90/10? Only wondering…

7. Pittsburgh P says

Fmt I saw that on Pawn Stars too… Guy sellin it was clueless! He woulda took a grand if thats what they told him it was worth. It isn’t hard to do some research these days with the internet then go to a coin shop or two and get max value…

Well, at least they were honest with him and told him it was real.
    That is when i would have thanked them for their time and walked out. Rick said he was taking the risk of it coming back cleaned. That was worth 7 grand? lol

@ Eddie, There was a Gold, Silver, Clad Proof auctioned on 05/13 for $1449.00. Previous to that there was a Buy It Now on 05/09 for $1399.00 for a Proof set. Prices are stronger now for the Golds in hand than either one of the previous sale dates

10. Pittsburgh P says

@eddie a 6 coin set was sold for around 2 grand about a month ago but I am sure it would be more now.

fm…they estimated the coin MAY be worth 15k…but it wasn’t graded and the guy was walking around with it in his pockect. Do you have any references as to what the value may of been?
    All I have is a 2009 Redbook….gold was at $900 then.
    The value for a 1861-C ranges from $2650 in VF-20, $5000 in EF40, $8750 in AU50, $13,500 in AU55 and $28,000 in MS60.
    I think his coin was between EF40 and AU50 at best…it was hard to tell. What do you think it would grade at and how much do you think his coin was actually worth?

12. VA Rich says

Eddie – don’t target the crap on eBay presented as a complete set. Buy a good loupe, go to a few coins shows, & target a good PR $1 & half, & MS $5.

At this stage, with the BHoFs, I wouldn’t buy anything from the retailers or bay site unseen, seriously, I wouldn’t. BTW- I put down my fly rod for browns

13. VA Rich says

Eddie, that should make sense thou post sent prematurely, good luck, back to fishing.

Well, a MS 63 is 100k! An 1861 D Would have been the killer, only 1597 made. 6879 C’s. 3750 VF-20, 6K for EF-40, 11k for AU-50, 16k for AU-55, 30k for MS-60…They made money and he knows it…

15. HIdalgo says

@Pittsburgh P – I would say that my transactions with coin dealers/sellers are about 70%/30% US to international.

I have purchased coins from established organizations and independent sellers from North America (Canada),Europe (UK, Poland, and Germany), Asia (China and Japan), and Australia.

Believe it or not, I can’t recall ever having a bad transaction from an international seller. I can recall a number of bad transactions from US sellers. That’s why I will always, always pay for my purchases with credit cards. That way, if I receive an item that is not as described, is lost, or the seller is dishonest, I will tell my credit card company to hold payment until the matter is resolved.

It’s clear to me that some of the posts on this blog are from sellers and coin dealers. And from what I’ve seen from some of them,, I will continue to purchase my coins with a credit card :) .

16. natatack says

I got 2 orders from China that sold me counterfeit pandas. I happened to have the real ones from Pandaamerica and they were easy to tell. If I didnt have the real ones to compare by, it may have slipped by.they have websites devoted to gold/ silver bars and coins, U.S., China, Canadian etc. I will not buy anything from China again too risky and time consuming to ship back and pay for shipping.

I was scanning trade dollars on ebay and found no less than 5 knock offs just from the photos and educating myself what to look for.

18. halfpint says

HIdalgo,you are one lucky person buying across the pond ,there are articles in coin world all the time ,telling people not to buy,not my money so do what you like

19. VARich says

SNP puck hasn’t gone to a back ordered status once since release unlike GSM, they must have minted the whole shabang early on.

20. Eddie says

I have all of them but am waiting for the 2 gold ones from the mint. Then I will have a complete set of the BHoF coins.
    I am back and forth about getting the gold ones. As you all know money is kinda tight at the moment. So I hope I will be able to get the gold ones when the mint sends them out.
    Thank you for all of the advice you have giving so far. So that is the reason I am asking about the price for a GOP set I was just wanting to know if yall thought it would in my best interest to keep the gold ones and not cancel them.

21. Eddie says

As you know there will be only 18,000 sets if that. I figure that will they will be worth more for that reason alone. Am I on the right track about thinking that way.
    If I do get the whole set my problem is finding a case to keep them all together. To me the set will look great displayed in one case all together.

The Mints xls. file is out

Gold BHOF Proof 38,972 down 21
    Gold Unc 21,921 down 8
    Silver Proof 286,518 down 175
    Silver Unc 149,954 down 11
    Clad Proof 172,530 up 6,963
    Clad Unc 98,052 up 2,348

23. Pittsburgh P says

Eddie if you can afford it I definetly would not cancel the golds… Imo they will def be worth it. I don’t beleive that there will actually be half 18,000 complete sets… As for display cases there will be some made for this set for sure. I just made my own out of a bat for one set and am using a 3D frame for the other one… The frame actually looks better since the coins look as they are floating and it can be flipped over to see both sides….

Start saving a little each couple weeks or month and by the time they are actually shipped(in 2015) it might be more feasable :-)

24. Pittsburgh P says

Cag thx, Looks as if most are not canceling even 2 months after sellout and no shipments…

25. Eddie says

cagcrisp -You have 21,921 for the gold unc I thought there were only 18,000 minted.

@ Pittsburgh P the frame you described sound awesome. Would love to see a couple of pitures of it. I really like the fact you can turn it over to see the back of the coins. I really would love to see it.

26. Pittsburgh P says

Eddie thats how many were sold on including the wait list… Some will not receive their order.

I will try to upload some pics but I can’t on this blog… I will get you a link to the frame itself so you can see it at least…

27. bg35765 says

Eddie – you would be crazy not to take delivery of the gold coins. If money is tight, post them for sale on one of the coin message boards. (I’m not sure if that would be allowed here.)

You should be able to double your money for less than an hour’s work of packaging them and going to the post office to send them via registered mail.

The HARD copy of the Mint’s production numbers are out and the Great Smokey Mountain (NR1) has dropped to 24,742 from last weeks number of 25,421

This has probably been mentioned…..but I just noticed that the 2014 LESPS has been moved to “date to be determined” on the product schedule. While I haven’t purchased any LESPS’s I was thinking about picking up this years for the great quarter designs and the Kennedy Half…as most Kennedy products this year may do well down the rode.

30. KEITHSTER says

My first order Shenandoah was delivered today the rest are set to show up tomorrow. Don’t get the GMS#”s early today the xls shown 25,427 or an increase of 6 over the former 25,421 but now the true number seems to be 24,742 sure it may change by a few but not by many I’ll bet? So that leaves 685 that were ordered that won’t be filled while it is a pleasant surprise to me sure will be a let down to those orders:( But small compared to the BHOF let down yet to come! So what could it have been there has been the lack of blanks that’s my guess they used what they had left over from the Shenandoah’s and came up short? My hope was a boo-boo on the last of them maybe one to costly to fix? Oh well time may tell or not? Good Luck Anyway:>:>:>

31. HarryB says

I want to thank all for the discussion on eBay selling and buying. I only purchase Graded and encapsulated on eBay and always pay with a credit card for the reasons stated by others. I have never sold anything on eBay, also for the reasons stated. I do not sell many coins, and I sell at gun shows, preferring face to face, selling Modern silver comms in OGP. I will have some BBHOF coins to sell, as my yield of NGC 70s was very poor. My decision now is if I should crack out, as I had my capsules sent back.. On topic, the burnished gold is one of my interests, have them all in OGP. A question, why the PM spot price decline today.

32. Jim says

HarryB,

In regards to the PM drop today, the dollar rose to an 8 week high due to improving US economic data, which also led to equity investors becoming less risk averse. When that occurs PM’s feel the pain.

Harry B,

You state that you only pay for ebay items with a credit card. Just to clarify: Does this mean that when you use the ebay checkout, you select to submit your credit card information (which is managed by PayPal)? By doing it this way you don’t have to actually join PayPal, which I’m not a big fan of because of previous hacking problems experienced by this company.

Harry B, Good question, but I don’t think anybody can definitively answer that. It could be the Ukrainian Presidential elections, but then again, I doubt he will be able to fix their problems. It may just be that something had to give, no one has been making much money in gold lately with the gold market so sideways with only smalls gains. I personally am surprised it didn’t happen earlier, I have been watching the $1273.00 mark closely, and it was finally broken, looks like the trend will continue even though the floor test was a good one.

35. HarryB says

Hawkster: yes I try that method first, and if that will not work, I use a CC thru Paypal. Back in 2009 eBay stopped me from any purchases other than Paypal, after I used CCs to pay for $20K in purchases not thru Paypal. I quit purchasing for a while, then eBay backed off and allowed me to pay any way I wished. I do not like eBay, but it was the most economical method to complete my Modern Gold Comm collection in NGC 70, and I use it occasionally now when my FS gold comes back from NGC in 69. Some day I am going to have to find a way to sell all my duplicates and excess where I upgrade my collection.

The History Chanell TV show had an interesting show about the possible collaspse of the US dollar…which this has been brought up before…..and how paper money would be worthless. The TV show had a company that sells silver, gold, platinum and paladium bars that are about the size of a crdit card card. For example, they sell a 50 gram gold card that can be broken into 50 individual 1 gram pieces. Same for silver, etc
    I just thought it was interesting that a company is already providing options in precious metals that may be needed in the future.

37. GoldFishin says

@Keithster- How was the quality of your Shenandoah’s? I had some very good ones and some that looked like baby bat teeth marks on the rim in a couple places, not too bad, just bad enough. The fields were great and I really like this issue having seen it now in hand!

Does anyone know what the normal turnaround time is for replacements from the US Mint? I want to send a couple back for replacements I think.

HarryB,

Thanks for your reply. Up until recently, I have, with prior approval from ebay sellers, paid for my items with a postal money order. Ebay, with it’s revamped checkout process, no longer makes it possible to complete the transaction unless you use paypal or submit your cc information.

39. joe says

Just received my Shenandoah’s from the Mint…both appear to be in great condition. So far, this year’s 5 ouncers are 100% in the plus column.

40. simon says

hw : Off Topic. Saddle Ridge Hoard sale is in progress at Amazon.com . . . @ stunning markups. Ideal for folks with money to waste on ultra hype !

41. john says

I went to a baseball card and toy show over the weekend,I took 2-proof and 2 unc. baseball hall of fame dollars with to trade.One guy paid me 900.00 for all four.if I had more I would have sold them all.That the frist time a made so good money on a new mint coin.

@Steve: I have had the valcombi bars for over a year now and the TBD for 14 LESPS has been there for months now…

The fact that Kagen did NOT include a photo of the coin in the slab showing the Saddle Ridge Hoard Pedigree and fancy gold foil says two things to me. One, if you are not a serious collector he would rather not sell one to somebody who buys labels and hasn’t done their homework, Big props. Minus is, these are going to sit around much longer because of that! lol

IMO I wanted to see that coin in it coffin, in its final resting place, if the holders have scratches, the gold foil marketing theme, the “SADDLE RIDGE HOARD” pedigree on the label…

If I am going to drop thousands on $1300 worth of gold that in not THAT rare, I want to see it all. I want to see what COA’s will look like, I want to take in the coin as a whole like an exquisite painting in it’s frame, I want read more details about that particular year and what was happening at the Mint, etc etc etc…

46. ClevelandRocks says

I think PMs are now significantly undervalued, and I expect an upward “correction” soon.
    Old format please Michael.

47. Jafmidtx says

Mystery of the Mint? I have an order for 2 gold HOF on 3-28 at 7:58 pm. Date moved from 7-14 to 6-30. Any chance that I may get those???? or maybe 6-30 is the date of cancellation !!

48. Natatack says

Saddle Ridge Hoard, curious why Kagin’s didn’t go with ebay or their own auction . They might just be peddling some at retail first and auctioning off the rest later. It would be interesting to see if this plan works out for them or goes bust and they have to auction off the majority due to high asking prices.

49. Gerard Depardue says

I wish someone would tell the people that not representing products at the correct gram or troy once weight of any coin that is not 24kt gold and the spot divided by 31.1, if a full troy ounce, does not represent products correctly and the US Mint should take this issue up, first in line. I’m sick of seeing 22, 14 and 10kt gold valued this way.

50. Mint News Blog says

The coin covered in this article is struck in 22 karat purity, but has a weight of 33.930 grams, yielding one troy ounce in pure gold.