2015-2016 Native American Dollar Designs

The United States Mint has announced the design selections for the 2015 and 2016 Native American Dollars. These coins will continue the series featuring annually rotating reverse designs which celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of Native Americans.

Originally, the Mint had prepared 20 design candidates for 2015 and 18 design candidates for 2016, which were reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) and Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) in March 2014. Coverage of the reviews and recommendations of the groups can be found here, here, and here. Within the design review process, additional reviews and recommendations were made by the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians. After weighing the input and recommendations from the various groups, the Secretary of the Treasury made the final design selections.

2015 Native American Dollar

The 2015 Native American Dollar will honor the Mohawk Iron Workers as builders of New York City and other skylines from 1886. They had worked on prominent landmarks within New York City such as the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the George Washington Bridge, and the World Trade Center. They had a reputation as top notch workers on high steel who did not fear heights or dangerous conditions.

The selected design depicts a Mohawk Iron Worker reaching from an I-beam as it swings into position. The city skyline appears in the background with the curvature of the Earth providing a sense of the great height. There are two rivets incorporated into the border of the design. Inscriptions include “United States of America”, the denomination “$1”, and “Mohawk Iron Workers”.  The reverse was designed by Ronald D. Sanders and will be sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.

Although the CCAC had showed support for the selected design, they had ultimately recommended a different design featuring a Mohawk iron worker waking across an I-beam against a stylized city skyline. The CFA had also recommended the same design. Likely, there was some support for the selected design from some of the other groups included in the selection process.

2016 Native American Dollar

The 2016 Native American Dollar will recognize the contributions of the Native American Code Talkers of World War I and World War II. The Code Talkers had served in the United States Armed forces and used tribal languages as a basis for secret communication which proved unbreakable to enemy forces. Code Talkers from individual tribes have been honored through an extensive series of Congressional Gold Medals launched last year.

The selected design includes two helmets against two feathers arranged to form a “V” to symbolize victory, unity, and the important role that the Code Talkers played. Rather than the dates shown on the candidate design above, the final design will include the inscriptions “WWI” and “WWII” with “Code Talkers” at the base and “United States of America” and “$1” above. The reverse was designed by Thomas D. Rogers Sr. and the sculptor will be selected at a later date.

Both the CCAC and CFA had recommended the selected design. They each had suggested replacing the dates with “WWI” and “WWII”.

Following the format of the series since 2009, the obverse design of each coin will feature the depiction of Sacagawea and child designed by Glenna Goodacre. Incuse edge inscriptions will include the date, mint mark, and motto “E Pluribus Unum”.

Comments

MarkH… mintage totals are 1 way of measuring a coins worth in the future, but the coin has to have some redeeming qualities to actually be worth anything. The CR coin has very few and the uncirculated one has even less. At least the proof has the enhanced reverse which isn’t all bad. This coin was hashed and trashed here many times when they opted to make it a protest piece.

2. Sith says

@markH – It may pick up in value but I doubt it as the uncirculated Girl Scout Commerative has a mintage of 30k, 35k if you add the young collectors set, and no secondary market value.

Jon in CT – nice link, so simple a concept, but so few understand it.

3. MarkH says

I did read all the comments on the CR coin…they weren’t exactly laudatory. Oh well, I bought them just to make my collection complete.

MarkH

4. David says

As much as I like the idea of the dollar coins, I think its time to stop producing these. Nobody wants to use them and they end up sitting in government vaults. Heck there’s not even a spot for them in most cash registers. They will never ever work until the green back is withdrawn from circulation. Btw, the edge lettering stinks and having them have $1 instead of ONE DOLLAR looks like a Chuckie Cheese token!

5. Blair J Tobler says

David, I agree on pretty much all your points, especially the fact that the year is on the edge!

6. Hawkster says

Pitt,
    It’s too bad you missed out on Cag’s trade offer. Back in my younger days, I used to ask my wife that when she turned 40 could I trade her for two 20’s.

7. VA Rich says

2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN 63,388 8/25/2014
    2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN 64,305 8/31/2014

+917

8. VA Rich says

I lost count. Got a little obsessed over this week’s JFK sales, came close to asking if you wanted to split up checking on the hour and half-hour. Some other interesting numbers as well this past week.

9. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF excel spreadsheet update for 08/31/14 (change from 08/24/14 spreadsheet):

Gold proof BHOF 32,845 (down 0)
    Gold unc. 18,446 (down 0)
    Silver proof 268,067 (down 262)
    Silver unc. 132,074 (down 26)
    Clad proof 209,687 (up 1,614)
    Clad unc. 131,331 (up 1,031)
    Young Collector 19,186 (up 700)

Gold BHOF oversold 1,291
    Silver BHOF oversold 141

I always ask for dollar coins at the bank and $2 bills if they have them. It is like a treasure hunt. I got 6 consecutive crisp 1976 $2 bills and sold on ebay for about $55. Pretty cool. The dollar coins just help me save a little money in a different form other than looking at a computer for my balance.

11. Bob R says

Has anyone noticed if the bay is down, I have been unable to login, they do not recognize my user name or email, and their phone line is down, that makes me nervous.

12. cagcrisp says

Some General Observations from this weeks excel speadsheet . Excluding the FS coins, ALL gold offering showed increased Sales over the previous week which should be expected because of the price drop. The Magnitude of some sales is Surprising. The 2014 AGE’s have been out 22 weeks. Other than Initial weeks offerings, the 1/2oz had it’s Largest Sales number for the Year (+557) and the 1/4oz saw the 2nd Largest Sales number for the Year (+412).

For the 1/2oz AGE Total Sales for 22 weeks is 3,962 so 16.36% of Previous Sales YTD came last week.
    For the 1/4oz AGE Total Sales for 22 weeks is 4,695 so 9.62% of Previous Sales YTD came last week.

Another thing Surprising is the Weakness in last week’s Sales of the 1/10oz AGE(+265). Only Once this Year has the 1/10oz Failed to Outsell either the 1/2oz or the 1/4oz…

So For Some Reason, Sales of 1/2oz and 1/4oz AGE’s were Strong last week…

13. Dave says

Jon in CT
    Great link! Reminds me of my brother’s old saying, “a gallon of gas was a quarter in 1964, and it will always cost a quarter.”
    Kicker? Just has to be a SILVER quarter.

Dave – I am not able to log into the bay either – much as Bob. I can veiw many items, but if I attempt to purchase it requests me to log in. Then when I try to log in it tells me my password or ID is invalid. It also doesn’t recognize my email address… for password reset. If you try calling the help line you’ll get a message telling you there are techincal issues and then you get disconnected…

15. gary says

no problem here with Ebay except it’s running a little hinkey. Maybe the microwave oven in their break room shorted out.

cagcrisp, It used to be that the 1/2 oz. AGE proof didn’t seem to appeal to as many collectors as the 1 and 1/10th oz. coins. Their higher sells must be from those looking for new lows who have also noticed the low sells in the years of `12 & `13 .
    I have been wondering if the unc. AGE would be able to give the 2012 AGE a run for it’s money, but that would mean it would have to sell out prior to November.
    I know no one here knows the answer to this, but I wish I knew more about why the West Point Mint suspends sells. Is it capabilities, supplies, or constraints of time?

17. cagcrisp says

@Dustyroads, I’m Too am looking at the 1oz Unc AGE. It is going to be close before the year is out. I have both the 1/2oz and 1/4oz 2013 Proofs So I am hoping that they both exceed 2013 so I will Not have to purchase them this year. I gave my daughter the 2013 Buffalo and I keep trying to get her to trade me her old worn out 2013 for a Bright New Shinny 2014 Buffalo. So far she has not bought into that. I wonder who she learned that from?

18. cagcrisp says

Gold Kennedy Guesstimates (resorted from low to high)

• GoldFishin 66,532 – 73,185 07/31
    • Jeff 70k 07/10
    • TimTom 70k 07/31
    • Longarm 70k 08/01
    • VA Rich 50k +/- 8k 07/10 ; 71,293 07/31
    • Louis 50k 07/10; +/- 75k 08/01
    • zeeman 75,000 08/03
    • bg35765 75,920 08/01
    • Dustyroads 86,500 07/31
    • Pittsburg P between 88,000 and 110,000 07/31
    • gary 92,586 07/31
    • SilverFan over/under 100k 07/11
    • VA Bob 100k +/- 5k 07/31
    • A Bob 100,000 07/31
    • VABEACHBUM 07/16 do not think it will either garner the interest or come anywhere close to 109k
    • Sith 60k 07/11; 100k to 120k 07/31
    • thePhelps between 75 and 100k the first week and a total of 125k 07/31
    • Stephen m. 150k+ 07/11
    • Clark exceed 200k 07/26

19. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF Hard Copy Sales for 08/31/14 (change from 08/24/14 HCS):

Gold proof BHOF 32,436 (down 0)
    Gold unc. 17,480 (down 0)
    Silver proof 267,612 (up 55)
    Silver unc. 131,295 (down 16)
    Clad proof 209,687 (up 1,614)
    Clad unc. 131,331 (up 1,031)
    Young Collector 19,186 (up 700)

Gold BHOF Total 49,916
    Silver BHOF Total 398,907

20. cagcrisp says

The Combined Sales of the Unc Clad BHOF coin $ wise for Last week was $41,126.45
    The Unc Kennedy Anniversary Clad (K14) has been available for 6 weeks. Last weeks Sales $ were $41,581.05

21. VA Rich says

High, as people should have spent Labor Day $$$ on gas, wieners & watermelons.., maybe it was beer induced purchases! I’d like to see the next two weeks dreadfully low

22. Pittsburgh P says

Agreed… My investment in W&W Inc. (Wieners & Watermelon)took a hit too! Damn drunks pickin JFK gold over a holiday tradition! 😉

No worries this dogs takin a flea bath next week… – 88 is what I’m seein, couldn’t even break 1000 after all the cancellations & other factors(that I make up as I go)

23. VA Rich says

Ha, too funny! Yeah, think you’re on the money, if there’s half the number next week or the following, I’d be surprised. You know the retailers aren’t buying unless for a tax write off.

Watch these auctions closely Pitt, twice last week there were turkey shoots, don’t think we’ve seen the grand finale quite yet

24. VA Rich says