2015 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set

Today, April 22, 2015, the United States Mint began accepting orders for the 2015 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set. This product includes uncirculated examples of each of this year’s quarters from both the Philadelphia and Denver facilities.

2015-quarters

This year’s quarters feature reverse designs representing Homestead National Monument of America in Nebraska, Kisatchie National Forest in Louisiana, Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware, and Saratoga National Historical Park in New York. The obverse design of each quarter features the 1932 portrait of George Washington designed by John Flanagan.

setThe 2015 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set includes uncirculated examples of each of the five quarters from both the Philadelphia and Denver Mint, making for a total of ten coins. These coins come package in a folder containing interesting facts about each of the national sites.

Each set is priced at $12.95 plus applicable shipping and handling. This price level is unchanged compared to the prior year. There are no mintage, product, or household ordering limits imposed.

The ten coins included within this set will also be offered within the full 2015 United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set, scheduled for release on April 27, 2015 and priced at $28.95.

Comments

@longarm: Read this and found it makes good “cents” to your post yesterday…

Why should we value our currency on gold? There is a finite supply of gold, and its value fluctates with demand, whics is a function of many different factors as gold has uses from jewelry to electronics. The fact that there are alternate uses for gold makes it a very poor surrogate for currency..

The reason that currency exists is to facilitate trade. If I grow corn and want to buy a horse, I can take you a few bushels of corn and exchange it for your horse.. but what if you dont’ want corn, you prefer tin? So now I take my corn to the tinsmith and see if he wants corn for tin, get the tin, take it to you, and so purchase your horse…

Which can get to be pretty convoluted if there are many goods and services in the economy—so we create a medium of exchange – a currency – so that I can sell my corn to the grain elevator, get currency, take that currency to you and buy a horse, and you can take that currency to the tin smith to get your tin.

As the value of our productivity grows – tin, corn, horses, and all other goods and services in the econonmy – the amount of currency to represent those goods and services also has to increase.

To the extent that too much money is printed, so that it outstrips the increase in goods and services, each unit of currency represents less value, so it takes more units to buy something – that is how printing too much money creates inflation.

Currency as a medium of exchange not only has nothing to do with gold – trying to hold it to a gold standard means that not only do changes in the output of a society affect the value, so do changes in the supply and demand for gold as a product, which is very different.

2. cagcrisp says

Another 1,500 bullion Turkey pucks were Sold yesterday to the AP’s. Total sales are 29,500

3. Larry says

@FMtransmitter, to me it all boils down to this. If I give you an IOU, and if you return it to me for payment, and all I will give you is another IOU, than my IOU is worthless. Whatever “money” is, it is not federal reserve notes. Back in the good old days, federal reserve notes used to say they were redeemable in lawful money at the US treasury or any federal reserve bank. So back then even the government knew it wasn’t real money. But now, because they say it is, it is. Just because you say something is so, does not make it so. There may be something better than gold for money someday, but until then it works better than anything else.

4. Larry says

Common sense would tell you that if you include the “S” mint quarters, you might actually sell a lot of these.

@Larry, I agree with you!
    @beaver: Yes, I want to see it in real life, please post a link to a youtube video or actual photo if you find. Thanks!

“So back then even the government knew it wasn’t real money”

What is ‘real” money? When asked if we should keep paying the Romans taxes, one asked whose face is on the coin, the answer was render that coin to whomever face is on it. What IS money, that is the question? lol

7. longarm says

I know what real money is to me, it’s the gold and silver I order each week when I get my paycheck. Because when they devalue their fiat debt notes they devalue my labor and hard work because I work for those fiat debt notes.

fmtransmitter – That same man also told someone to go catch a fish to pay their taxes because the fish’s mouth was full of gold coins.

8. SmallPotatos says

What is Money? Ayn Rand said it best:

Money is a tool of exchange, which can’t exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. When you accept money in payment for your effort, you do so only on the conviction that you will exchange it for the product of the effort of others. Those pieces of paper, which should have been gold, are a token of honor–your claim upon the energy of the men who produce. Your wallet is your statement of hope that somewhere in the world around you there are men who will not default on that moral principle . To trade by means of money is the code of the men of good will. Money rests on the axiom that every man is the owner of his mind and his effort. Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more. Money permits no deals except those to mutual benefit by the unforced judgment of the traders.

Let me give you a tip on a clue to men’s characters: the man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it.

9. longarm says

I was just checking the Mint’s website and noticed there’s no Arches or Shenandoah p-pucks, I guess they finally sold out.

10. Jerry Diekmann says

I don’t think any country can be on a gold standard or a silver standard anymore, because there is only so much gold and silver that can be recovered on this planet, andit isn’t enough to back up all the fiat money that is out there. Nations now must rely on the good faith of each country’s government and politics. So, a lot of countries issue paper bills that serve as money but can’t really be counted on to be worth anything over a long period of time. This would include most countries in the entire continent of Africa, and you could probably also include Greece, Mexico, Russia, Brazil, India, and I wouldn’t trust China either. Any country that allows its citizens to counterrfeit the coinage of other countries deserves neither trust nor respect.

11. Sith says

All this talk about money, and what is real money. Money is anything people will accept as money, including Federal Reserve Notes. A well manged flexible currency is better than any gold standard. The key words here are well managed. Eventually all fiat currencies get printed to oblivion, as the county\government in question spends itself broke, IE they are never well managed. The Federal Reserve Notes have backing, it is backed by treasury bond, and that is based on the fact that the government can tax you and everyone you know to death to pay off the bond. That means they are ultimately backed by your labor

Its not perfect but I like a gold or silver standard simply because it acts like a fly wheel, and it stops government spending before the government has to tax you to death. IE confiscate your labor to pay for their mismanagement, that is unless they default…again, which means that they will devalue or destroy your savings if it is saved in their money.

12. Sith says

@Jerry Diekmann – That is the point, printing more money does not make the populace any richer. If it did work the people of Zimbabwe would be the richest people on the planet . If what you proposed happened, again all it would do is drive up inflation, and waste. Rome and Spain being the prime examples of having virtual unlimited amounts of gold and silver. Anyway your rational is why some gold bugs are calling for $10K an oz gold, their is plenty of gold to cover our currency at that price.

13. Sith says

Oh and I forgot, countries don’t need to trust each other Iran, and Venezuela barter their oil for goods and services. Barter is rather primitive but it works, of course the next step is to use a medium of exchange that cant be manipulated. I wonder where they will find a commodity like that…hum.

14. bobo says

If you have not seen Mike Maloney’s videos they are just excellent. Here he explains what money is, and why fiat currencies backed by politicians’ promises are worse than gold backed ones:

He showssome beautiful coins too. And he talks about America’s first hyperinflation with the continentals. A very interesting review of the history of money.

Basically human nature has proven itself to be consistently greedy and deceitful, at least about money. If you give anyone the power to just print currency and buy real things with it, they will go overboard every time. This is why every fiat currency in history has become worthless. Honest currency, meaning paper redeemable for real money like gold and silver, forces politicians and bankers to be more honest, which they don’t like.

Jerry, about your point that there isn’t enough gold to back up all the fiat money that is out there, that would not be true if gold had a much higher price than it now has.

15. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Money is the sweat of your brow so we tiny creatures can retain sustenance on this planet.

The USD is favored around the world because of a few reasons. First, it’s credit worthiness. Next, and greatest in my opinion is because of our resources, almost everything the world needs is right here on our soil. Then of course there’s our military might. I don’t like the fact that the economy is so credit driven, but it’s the only way to grow an economy at the rate we must in order to stay competitive. So, having a gold standard would actually stand in the way of the type of economic growth the US needs. In other words, it’s only business, don’t take it personal…

@Dusty: it is and I read the article, just that is a photo. I want to see the real picture of one. Hard to photograph coins. I noticed sellers on the bay that have a good system down sell for much higher premiums than the average cell phone shot. I returned a coin because the photo that was posted for the auction, although real, was so manipulated that when it arrived it had zero of the luster that the picture showed. That seller was either embarrassed or mad when I returned it because they are the only one to ever block me on the bay. Their loss.

18. Sith says

@Dustyroads – So you think we can’t have a gold standard because it prevents The Fed from competitively devaluing our labor?

To quote Alan Greenspan – “under the gold standard, a free banking system stands as the protector of an economy’s stability and balanced growth… The abandonment of the gold standard made it possible for the welfare statists to use the banking system as a means to an unlimited expansion of credit… In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation”

19. Sith says

Oh and I have to take it personal, I know The Fed claims their is no inflation, but as a student said, I can’t eat an iPod. My grocery bills have gone up in spite of the collapse in oil prices. I can’t wait to see the prices on food when the California drought actually has a major affect on food prices.

20. longarm says

Put away food and water ( a years worth), guns and ammo ( for protection and hunting) and any other necessary item (toilet paper?) Like a boy scout, be prepared.

21. Larry says

No matter how you sugar coat it, it all boils down to this. By definition, a promissory is a promise to pay by the issuer. A Federal Reserve Note is a promise to pay what? If you take your Federal Reserve Note to any Federal Reserve Bank, they will gladly give you a new Federal Reserve Note in exchange for yours. Well you could say it is a promise to pay you goods and services but the Fed does not own all the goods and services, WE DO. It is a promise to pay nothing, therefor it only has worth because you believe it has worth. As long as there is a sucker to take it, it has worth. I guess you could say the same for gold, but gold intrinsically has more worth than a piece of paper. I don’t care what you back paper money with, as long as it is something that has equal value to what you are exchanging it for.

22. longarm says

Just got the email from SDbullion that they have shipped my turkey pucks, hopefully they’ll be here by the middle of next week.

Sith, I’m on your side. Did you happen to see the news story about how it has become easier to qualify for welfare programs and how the number of recipients have doubled recently. I’m in agriculture, a new farm bill has just been implemented which essentially removes much of the safety net that has been in place for American farmers and moves the money over to welfare programs, free school lunches, and even all summer long free meals for all kids who walk in, and it doesn’t prevent illegal aliens from receiving many of these benefits. Also, there is a large group of people who under report money earned thus qualifying for benefits. These recipients then turn around and sell there benefits for cash at about half face value. It adds up to hundreds of billions in lost revenue.
    If the US is not careful, we are going to be importing much more food, then you will see prices make a much more prominent spike.

24. Jerry Diekmann says

Sith – you do make some good points. So I guess you and I and everyone else who has labored and paid taxes to this government called the United States of America all our lives is now also on the hook to pay for the $1 trillion that was spent to make Dick Cheney and his ilk richer, while costing the lives of 5,000 young Americans, over 100,000 Iraqi citizens, all to insure that we prevent Saddam Hussein from stockpiling WMD which he would use against us. This is the biggest lie ever perpetrated on the American people in the history of this country, and now this sneering coward wants another war!!! I knew Hitler told lots of lies, but Cheney is as evil as Hitler, IMO.

25. Jerry Diekmann says

Larry – you are also right! And the Federal Reserve supposedly isn’t even part of the U.S. government! Actually who in the hell is running, or ruining, this country? The “good faith” of the U.S. government??? Talk about a really wicked oxymoron!

26. Jerry Diekmann says

Dustytoads – Sorry, I’m on a roll on this subject. Every time I fill out my tax return, I realize just how much the rich, and the poor, including illegal aliens, are screwing the middle class. If this continues on, one day there won’t be any middle class left, and we will be another Mexico – a lot of rich, but many more poor. And Congress passes laws that allow Mitt Romney to make over $20 million a year and not pay any taxes, that treats Scientology as some sort of religion that is exempt from income taxes, that allows rich people and corporations to stash money overseas in special bank accounts where the escape taxes, and allows Fortune 500 countries like GE and AT&T to not only not pay any taxes, but to file for refunds of millions of dollars.! All of this is true! All of this corruption is being paid for by the middle class, and the cowardly IRS does nothing to stop this from happening. Yes, I know the IRS is an enforcement agency – it just enforces the laws that Congress passes, but just because you are an enforcer doesn’t mean you have to stop thinking, and trying to take steps to make the tax laws fairer, so everyone pays their fair share. But I guess that would be asking too much of a country that now lives by smoke and mirrors and empty promises and lies. When I was a boy, the USA was the greatest country on earth and we were taught to be proud of our heritage. That is not true today, and our “heritage” of democracy is becoming less evident every day. What a sad commentary to a country that Abraham Lincoln once called “the last best hope for man on earth”.