2015 Harry S. Truman Coin and Chronicles Set

Today, June 30, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2015 Harry S. Truman Coin and Chronicles Set. This represents the first of four special sets to be issued for this year’s Presidential Dollars.

The United States Mint has used the Coin and Chronicles Set format in the past, incorporating coins and/or medals with other collectible items and related historical information. The sets have typically carried limited mintages and have often been popular with collectors. Previously issued sets include John Marshall (2005), Benjamin Franklin (2006), Abraham Lincoln (2009), Theodore Roosevelt (2013), and Franklin D. Roosevelt (2014). This year, the format will see its broadest use across all four 2015 Presidential Dollars.

coins

The Harry S. Truman Coin and Chronicles Set will include one 2015 Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollar struck in reverse proof format at the Philadelphia Mint, one 1.598-inch Harry S. Truman Presidential Medal struck in .999 silver at the Philadelphia Mint, and one 1973 Harry S. Truman eight cent postage stamp. An informative booklet about the 33rd President is also included with the set.

As confirmed previously and stated within the Mint’s press release, the reverse proof Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollar is only available within this product.

The coin, medal, and stamp are displayed in a red folder covered a soft-touch material with a textured appearance. The sets are limited to just 17,000 units. There is an ordering limit of five units per household in place. The price of each set is $57.95.

set

Recent previous Coin and Chronicles Sets have had sales around the maximum mintage level established for the present set. The 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set had sold 15,145 units. Last year’s Franklin D. Roosevelt Set, which still remains available for sale, has sold 13,093 units.

The US Mint may have used these sales levels as the basis for the 17,000 maximum mintage established for the Harry S. Truman Set. However, while the two previous sets had contained specially minted medals, this year’s sets contain specially minted coins. Such limited mintage specially produced coins have seen strong demand from collectors. Recent examples include the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set, which contained an enhanced uncirculated Native American Dollar, and this year’s March of Dimes Silver Set, which contained two specially minted dimes. These two sets had sold out quickly at respective mintage limits of 50,000 and 75,000 units.

Collectors interested in the 2015 Harry S. Truman Coin and Chronicles Set will want to be ready to place their orders early when sales open today at 12:00 Noon.

Comments

1. gary says

50,000 will be a pants’ load of the HR gold and it will be available all year. It will be interesting if the 3rd party grading companies will assign the erroneous “Proof Like” adjective to their slabs. The 2009 UHR in “proof-like” are in fact struck from worn dies and worse, if labelled as “first strike” is outright false.

2. Ends in Error says

It would be cool for the Mint to sell hi-end Wood Boxes only for those wanting them . They could be limited in number and really costly like a Coffin for Coins. Maybe there would be those few misguided souls who would only collect Mint Packaging. Ha ha wouldnt that be an odd twist? If a person waited long enough the Coins would drop in value on the market. Maybe the limited Coffins would go up in value.

3. Clark says

For a brief time, MCM sold OGP, but quickly realized the lack of demand and high cost of warehousing space-consuming OGP. It would be interesting to learn what they do with all that empty OGP left over from grading 1000s of coins.

4. Brad, my brother Brad, and my other brother Brad says

@KCSO & Erik H, we are now over 800 posts (804 at this post) . I am guessing MZ is on holiday as he hasn’t updated the CoinUpdate sales post (typically evey Tuesday). He will have a lot of catching up to do!

Clark, Well just don’t through them out. Where ever your collection ends up, the boxes will still be considered part of the package.

KCSO – Depending on gold prices at the time, I believe I’m in. The funny thing is I showed the wife the design and she wants one too. So I’m probably in for two. The finished product image did it for me as I wasn’t excited by the line drawing. I was going to get a JKO, which would have be my only FS, but passed when I saw the HR.

Dusty – Thanks for the 2016 packaging clarification. I can see people wanting a single of a certain type, but as a collector an example of each is a no-brainer provided on has the funds. Which they have a three coin option., though, as it is usually a little cheaper. I would like to pick up two of each if possible. IMO it doesn’t matter how many of these sell, they will appreciate the moment sales end. People passing in up, especially flippers, will be leaving money on the table.

I’m all for the plain packaging, but I’m under no delusions that the cost savings to the Mint will be passed on to the customer. I believe we will still pay the same premium we do for other gold items. I’d really like to be wrong on these.

7. Clark says

Dusty–Not to worry, I’m keeping them in those heavy banker’s boxes for just that reason, but I don’t plan to be around in 50 years when my heirs remove the complete First Spouse collection from the vault and assess its value then. Here’s hoping all that OGP survives 50 years, but I doubt it.

VaBob–Sadly, you’re probably correct that the Mint will find a way to pocket savings from sans-OGP coin sales. Still, I think my theory is sound.

8. Clark says

@Brads: 1, 2, 3, et al.,–

What are you doing with all your first spouse OGP?

9. a Bob says

Let’s post our own coin news in michaels absence / well deserved vacation.
    The boys town comments are going to happen.

10. a Bob says

I would like to see the mint continue to produce one ounce presidential medals when there is opportunity. They should go back to George W.

11. KCSO says

Thanks Larry for the heads up, great thoughts, & perhaps we’ll have another shot at a proof-like MS!

12. Eagle One says

Golden Dollars Worth Keeping

Native American:

2000-P Sacagawea Cheerios Dollar (Enhanced Tail Feather Variety) : 60-70 known $12,000 in MS-68
    2000-P Sacagawea Goodacre Dollar Mintage: 2000 $1,000-1,400 in MS-68

2008 Q. Adams Missing Edge Letter SF Dollar $250 in MS-66
    2009 Taylor Missing Edge Letter Dollar $200 in MS-66
    2010 Fillmore Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66
    2010 Pierce Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66
    2010 Buchanan Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66
    2015-P Truman Reverse Proof Dollar Mintage: 17,000 $125 in BU

*Double Edge Letters and Over Lapped Letters have similar values to No Edge Letters

13. ClevelandRocks says

These are all basically fake coins. St. Gardens were real coins as were classic commemoratives. Some people used them as real currency. I’ve collected since the 1970s and am sad that the Mint has morphed into the Franklin Mint and so many follow like Lemmings. You guys even fall for these pre-determined fake mintages to get yourselves excited about. I was excited about the ’09 UHR, but nothing really is special anymore. Gimmick sell-outs, tons of “varieties”… I’m sure my comments will be ignored, but once in a while I need to vent. I’ve been on this blog longer than 90% of you and am not happy with the hobby anymore. Big business and not much else. Happy 4th!

14. Gary Not Dave says

Just wait until a Truman Reverse Proof with no edge lettering pops up..Yikes!!

15. Erik H says

(this may show up twice, the one with links is under moderation for some reason)

Eagle One,

How about this, 2009 D Zachary Taylor Presidential $1 coin bearing the date 2010 D. Only one known.

I’d love to own one of the 2000-W Sacagawea 22k dollars.

Or one of the Washington mules on a Sacagawea planchet.

16. gary says

@Cleveland Rocks… you are absolutely right! These special sets and surface finishes are all just trinkets junk, i.e.: polished turds.

17. KCSO says

Hey Cleveland.., did you see any of those first domed BHoF coins? What a Win, Win!
    Amazing definition.., were you able to pick any of those babies up?

18. Eagle One says

@Erik H,

The Sacagawea “Mule” is one to watch for. Eleven are known to exist and the last one sold for $200k.

I myself continually watch for the 2000-P Sacagawea Enhanced Tail Feather Variety. It was estimated that 5,500 were made for Cheerios and only 70 or so have shown up in the hands of real collectors. It is believed that the remaining 5,430 found their way into circulation. That was due to the variety being discovered so late and the obscure notion of rare coins in a cereal box.

19. Eagle One says

I will put the “2009 D Zachary Taylor Presidential $1 coin bearing the date 2010 D” on my radar.

20. KCSO says

Gary, no polished turds in the shape of a football for you, I presume?

I concur with that, the BHoFs was a nice start till the 2019 Apollo landing coin. Anyone that counters that initiative needs a ball check.

Otherwise with a NFL coin, I might have to suffer through an entire year of hearing about what a great team that piss ant gaggle coined the Browns is… 🙂

21. Ends in Error says

I just can’t for the life of me get into any “plain edged” coin. It’s about as exciting as a “narrow edge reeding” bullion piece.

Now let’s talk about a ” Kennedy looking at Lincoln” Cent. Now that is a collectable. Well the price is right, anyway.

Clark,

All of my First Spouse coins are still inside the OGP, since they’re raw.

Do you have your empty capsules returned after your First Spouse coins are graded? I need a replacement 2008-current size capsule to replace one of my uncirculated Eleanor Roosevelt ones. There was a chunk of the edge broken off of one of mine, but the Mint insisted I had to return the entire coin to get it replaced. Since the coin was sold out, there was no way I was going to do that. I wouldn’t have done it anyway, since the coin itself is fine and I wouldn’t risk getting a bad coin over a broken capsule. The broken edge of the capsule does not expose the surface of the coin in any way, but it’s just so unsightly. All I can find for sale from dealers and on eBay are those cheap knock-offs on the red backer cards. I want one of the official capsules the Mint uses.

John Roberts,

It’s remarkable that you have taken the time to comment on this Blog in light of all the U.S. Supreme Court opinions and rulings that you have been involved with lately. Thank you.

24. Tinto says

I like the Gold HR coin with the final tweaked design, but still on the fence … but will definitely get some of the Silver medal version when they are put on sale.

25. JBK says

The mint did experiment once with a simpler packing option once. I think it was the Capitol visitors center coins. I got the unc half in a mylar packet instead of a case and box.

It was a good idea, and I wish they would offer that type of option again.

26. Clark says

@Brad–

I’ve had to return so many spouses to the Mint for poor quality that I usually purchase them graded (pf/ms70) and request OGP. However, I think I have a couple of 1/2 oz FS capsules left over from the few times I submitted directly to NGC, which you are more than welcome to have.

Do you collect spouse medals?

27. Barry says

Sorry to go off topic- Has anyone had any bad experience purchasing coins direct from foreign mints ? I read some stories here and there about having to drive hundreds of miles to the airport due to customs or else having the merchandise returned. The purchases were not that large as I remember. Any pointers on the subject would be welcome.

28. Zaz says

Brad– I wouldn’t leave your spouses in the fancy shellacked clamshell box for long term storage. I recently bought a proof Helen Taft on the Bay who was outside of the capsule in the box, and I guess the original owner never checked nor noticed. It had toned a beautiful shade of rose gold with merlot highlights. I’m guessing the toning happened as a result of the trapped gasses with the box as it still smelled strongly of lacquer. I’ve never seen 24K coin toned in such a way. Fortunately the seller took it back. I notice the Mint’s capsules aren’t always airtight, silver coins have toned within them. All my spouses have always been taken out of the OGP but left in the Mint capsule and put into T size AirTite rolls and thus into the SDB. You do not want an unpleasant surprise 10 years down the road especially after all the money you’ve put into them.

29. VaBeachSteve says

@ Barry …. I’ve ordered numerous coins from the Canadian Mint, Perth Mint & Royal Mint over the last few years. Never once have I had problems with shipping.

Clark,

That sounds great on the capsules! I’d be glad to send you a “friends and family” no fee PayPal payment to cover the postage to send them to me. We just need to figure out a way to swap contact information without putting it on here for all to see.

Yes, I do collect the First Spouse medals in the form of the Presidential Dollar Coin & First Spouse Medal sets. They’re my favorite way to collect those, even though they cost a lot more than the 4 or 5-medal sets in the envelopes.

Zaz, thanks for the advice on the OGP. I examined each of my First Spouse coins on arrival over the years, but I don’t get them out too often. I last looked at them about a year ago, and the 2007 and 2008 coins still looked exactly the same as they did when they were new, with no toning or storage damage. All of my coins arrived securely inside their tightly-closed capsules. I’d never had a problem until one of the extra Eleanor Roosevelt uncirculated coins arrived with the chunk broken off the edge of the capsule. It was like that before the Mint sent it to me, as the broken piece was nowhere to be found inside the OGP or the shipping box. However, like every other conceivable defect that can arise, they always insist that you have to return EVERYTHING to get a replacement. How hard would it be to send just an unbroken capsule to correct their mistake? It’s so frustrating!

31. Eagle One says

Have you ever wondered why this blog has a number of absolutely bitter dissenters and why that may be? Maybe a number of them are blogging from the big house.

Two former Mint employees were found guilty of selling some of the Mule dollars, resulting in imprisonment and fines for both individuals.

A 20-year mechanic at the mint, who admitted smuggling rare error coins out of the mint and selling them to collectors and over the Internet for about $74,000.

A former U.S. Mint police officer pleaded guilty Thursday in Camden Federal Court to stealing $2.4 million worth of “error” coins and selling them to a coin distributor in California.

A former employee of the U.S. Mint stole and sold coins that had been stamped incorrectly, raking in about $80,000 from collectors, authorities said Tuesday.

THEFT: GOLD FROM MINT IN HOLLOW FALSE LEG; Skilled Worker at Denver Held for Theft of $100,000–Ingots Are Found at His Home.

San Francisco Mint Thief. — Albert Houser, an employee in the U. S. Mint at San Francisco, was arrested on May 14th, charged with stealing $400 worth of gold.

All since 2001.

32. Rudy says

Ends in error, speaking of Kennedy looking, did you notice on the Mint’s home page that JFK is “eyeballing” Jackie. I mean, he is seriously “checking her out”. Maybe this is why they made his dollar different, it makes for a perfect set. Now if they only did a Marylin Monroe medal…

33. John Roberts says

Hawkster–Sometimes my work at the Court does take away time from collecting and commenting, but I make it work.

34. Erik H says

Brad,
    One time I had a cracked capsule and the mint said that they would replace it. Long story short, they kept sending the wrong size capsule and after several months of back and forth, I just gave up.

35. Zaz says

@Brad: Having dealt with the PSFWeb distribution center and the CSRs in Dallas, the only thing Memphis can do is refund your money, so you were wise to keep the damaged capsule. You can get replacements on the Bay for a couple of bucks. Just search under “US Mint capsule 1/2 oz.” Your LCS might have some on hand if they submit coins to TPGs and could comp you one too. I had a broken capsule with the Buchanan proof, and when I got a spotted Alice Paul a year later, I merely swapped capsules when I sent it back to Indiana for replacement.

36. Bernie in FL says

@ ClevelandRocks says

Couldn’t have said it Better!!!

The place has started to sound like the Guy on HSN 🙂

37. Gary Not Dave says

The Last Ebay sale of 5 sealed Truman Sets went for $655.65…not bad.

38. Goat says

(5) Five 2015 Coin and Chronicles Harry S. Truman Sets 121692561126 on July 1 sold for $699.99 someone stated earlier that might get $200 max per set. If someone hears/sees/feels a 70 grade reverse Harry S. Truman $1 could you let us know here ? (NGC,PCGS) Thanks

39. GoldFishin says

Could anyone that has received their Truman sets, please post what the dimensions are? Like 4×6, 5×7, Etc. Thanks

NEW THREAD

40. Goat says

That was a post here July 2 that I found. I will find out Monday I hope. My question should these be sent off for grading ? Never done that before by not to old to learn.

41. GoldFishin says

@Goat- that was the dimensions of the shipping package size that Cag was asking about….I was just wanting the set itself. Thank you.

42. MarkInFlorida says

FedEx “Smart”Post looks like it’ll take a week to get to me. When the Mint used Priority Mail it used to take 2 days, and $4.95 just about covered it. So now the Mint is using an inferior service, and presumably making a couple dollars profit on the shipping. That’s how a lot of businesses operate these days, try to squeeze a few more dollars profit out of a product, and alienate your customers.

43. Jeff in TX says

I like to see the different coin products. I hope the mint doesn’t over due it like the royal mint. Laser this and laser that on coins. This may serve good for the 30 year American silver eagle set next year