2015 Mamie Eisenhower First Spouse Gold Coin

Today, May 7, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2015 Mamie Eisenhower First Spouse Gold Coin. This will be the second release of the year for the one-half ounce 24-karat gold coin series.

mamie-eisenhower

The obverse design of the coin features a portrait of Mamie Eisenhower designed by Richard Masters and engraved by Joseph Menna. The inscriptions include “Mamie Eisenhower”, “In God We Trust”, “Liberty”, “2015 W”, “34th”, and “1953-1961”.

The reverse design of the coin shows a simple depiction of a woman’s hand holding a political campaign button with the slogan “I Like Mamie”. This is intended to refer to Mrs. Eisenhower’s popularity as First Lady and her involvement in her husband’s presidential campaigns. The inscriptions read “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, “$10″ and “1/2 oz. .9999 Fine Gold”. The reverse was designed by Barbara Fox and engraved by Renata Gordon.

Within the design review phase, the Commission of Fine Arts had recommended both the selected obverse and reverse designs. The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee had recommended the selected obverse design, but a different reverse design showing the clasped hands of Mamie and Dwight Eisenhower, a globe, five stars across the top, and a DC-54 airplane.

The Mamie Eisenhower First Spouse Gold Coin is offered individually in proof or uncirculated versions, both struck at the West Point Mint. The coins are initially priced at $790 for the proof version and $770 for the uncirculated version. These prices are based on an average price of gold within the $1,150 to $1,199.99 range. The price of the coins may be adjusted weekly based on changes in the market price of gold.

A maximum mintage of 10,000 pieces has been established across proof and uncirculated versions of the coin, with customer demand used to determine the ratio of proof coins to uncirculated coins produced.

The previous release of the series featuring Bess Truman has reached cumulative sales to date of 1,450 proofs and 1,025 uncirculated coins.

Comments

1. Goat says

Oh look 2013, 2014 gold spouse still on sale ? Didn’t know I could wait this long to complete a set, would of been cheaper. Maybe I will wait to get the MOD set ? lol. Good day to all gota to go now.

2. Scott says

Most of these spouse coins are a hideous and a waste of gold that could have been used for something more artistic. This series should have been terminated a long time ago.

So many are always hating on the First Spouses. They will have their day in the sun though, and I expect to live to see it. Heck, some of them have already been quite lucrative. I’ve made thousands in capital gains from selling extras of some 2007-2014 coins. Eleanor has been especially good to me!

4. Goat says

The mints web sight was very slow on May 4, 2015 ??? Good, today must not be much interest. Maybe someday people will see value in this series ? Hope my grandkids are aware at that time. Might have a haunting to wake them up at that time.

5. Goat says

Brad ; I think the increase in gold value in most of the series has helped. Gold value on a decline (for the last few years) would of made low mintage coins , until the MINT change selling coins 3 years out. Just when you think you got it all figured out someone sets you back . That’s Life keep trying.

6. Zaz says

Her face got run over by a garbage truck on the way to West Point. Quite possibly the ugliest FS ever and that’s saying something about Lou Hoover and Margaret Taylor, the previous titleholders. Did
    think the line art could translate so poorly and yeah, it’s a waste of the PM.

7. Ikaika says

Will for sure pass on this one, but looking forward to the Jackie Kennedy FS.

I said on last posting about Mrs. Kennedy necklace. It looks like brick pavers and not perfect round pearls that which would have been worn by the first Lady of the United States back then, and now…

Start making perfect circles like that, close together, in pure gold and you start running into flow issues I assume…

10. Goat says

Can someone get me up to speed on this product from the mint ( Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Bronze Medal ) it’s without image ? It’s not on the 2015 Product Schedule but in the what’s new section. Thanks

11. I.F. says

Stuart, I have to agree with you, She does look a little bit like Trixie Norton.

So products from 1997 are appearing on the NEW improved website? Is there ANY accountability?

That is not an error. That is the bronze version of the Gold that was issued back then. They are going to use that die and smack out some more bronze. Since the hype from FS bronze they are digging up other ideas to sell non PM coins/medals. Best profit margin for all dealers and the Mint.

14. SilverFan says

Stuart Bradley says
    MAY 7, 2015 AT 2:02 PM

Mamie looks like Ed Norton’s wife on The Honeymooners.

Looks more like Ed.

15. cagcrisp says

On another blog a poster is saying that he got a set of 5 MOD Special Set this morning. To sum up, he is not happy with the RPs. Says he is not a grader but that he didn’t think any of the RP’s” would get a 68″. On the other hand he thought of the five regular proofs three ” had a shot at 69, maybe 70.”

He has attached pictures showing the Problem areas…

Lesson I learned: buy those coins that you want to own rather than buying in the hopes of accruing a profit. Most speculators love to share stories about the profits they earned. However, you rarely hear of losses. Based on the law of averages, I would say that most speculators break even or close to even. Sure, there are exceptions. A small percentage may profit significantly. Some may incur huge losses.

Personally, I do not know anyone who has become rich from buying and selling coins. There are many safer investments in the long term, like stocks and mutual funds. My mutual fund portfolio has increased by about 15% in the past year. I can’t the same for my coin collection. 🙂

17. cagcrisp says

Another 1,900 bullion Turkey pucks Sold. Total bullion pucks 42,000. With the “P” versions that leaves a Max of 7,378 Left of the Turkey pucks in one version or the other…

18. cagcrisp says

The bullion Turkey pucks have the highest Sales of Any bullion puck since 2011…

Hidalgo- I think we all understand your position by now. Buy what you like, of course. No one would argue against that.

But first, a hell of a lot of dealers have gotten plenty rich buying and selling coins. Second, I agree most individual collectors don’t do that well because 1) they make mistakes and don’t learn from them and 2) even when they do well, they are doing it a small scale, so it may not add to that much. And modern coins are very risky. But the fact remains if you do your homework, you can do alright. I’ve gotten a lot of free coins this way.

20. JohnT58 says

The bigger question is does anyone trust that the mint will hold to their 65,000 mintage limit for the turkey pucks. If there is money to be made, will they just change the rules?

The coin’s reverse basically implied that Ms. Mamie had no significant interests, as well as making no meaningful contributions as First Lady. She openly displayed her displeasure with Jackie and John succeeding Dwight and her in the White House.
    Perhaps this coin will have crossover interest from collectors of THE HONEYMOONERS memorabalia.

22. Teach says

My 3 MoD sets and Turkey P puck just showed up at the door via UPS. I have only looked at one set so far, just to see if there are issues with the RP. I used a 10 X and didn’t see any issues.

@cagcrisp – what were the issues with RP that you have seen?

23. Larry says

Coin dealers do ok because like any business they buy at wholesale and sell at retail. Us collectors, unless you get lucky on ebay, buy at retail and sell at wholesale. That is why we would usually have such a hard time making money.
    However, the enjoyment I get from this hobby is priceless.

24. Sith says

@JohnT58 – Yes I trust them to hold the mintage.

@Teach – I got mine today, and I did a visual inspection and I saw no problems. I will get out my magnifying glass later

@Louis – you got it! Large coin companies can earn profits because of greater economies of scale (compared to individual sellers).

26. Gary not Dave says

@JohnT58
    It would be nice if they hold at the 65,000k but the US Mint makes its own rules. Even with the mintage of the bullion on 40k plus..i think it will eventually carry a nice premium. I bought a roll for $997. And that’s the first roll I have ever bought..i usually just go with singles or PCGS graded. I did buy 2 P pucks as well. FYI…I don’t buy all the 5ouncers, just the ones I like. The Kisatchie bullion is my fav. followed by Olympic and Mt.Rushmore. Even though the Olympic has 100k mintage..i still really like the design in DMPL.

27. JohnT58 says

I just read the following on coinnews.net . The bullion is sold out.

Returning to new products from last week, on April 28, the collector Kisatchie five ounce silver uncirculated coin with the ‘P’ mint mark went on sale for $149.95. It lassoed six-day sales of 15,622, making it the Mint’s third most popular product of the week. That’s down, however, from the four-day start of the previous series coin depicting Homestead National Monument of America. It opened with sales of 16,216.

In related news, the investment-grade bullion Kisatchie five ounce silver coin without the mint mark is now sold out. Earlier today, the U.S. Mint sent the following memo to its authorized purchasers:

“This is to inform you that we are now SOLD-OUT of Kisatchie National Forest — America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coins. The next release will be the Blue Ridge Parkway — America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coin. We expect this next release will go on sale on Monday, June 22, 2015.”

Sales of the Kisatchie bullion coin stand at 40,100, which is the highest total since the Chickasaw piece from 2011. Adam Stump, deputy director of the U.S. Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications, told CoinNews on Wednesday that the authorized limit for both numismatic and bullion 2015 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins for Kisatchie National Forest is 65,000 coins. If you run the math, that leaves 9,278 left before the collectible version would sell out with sales of 24,900.

28. Goat says

@ Louis ;
    Homework, homework, tutored homework.
    Thanks to all that has helped in the past.
    P.S. I am not very bright but I will get there someday.

29. mark says

Jackie …now 20 years older thats all. The mint always goes with the older look. Wonder why that is?

I posted the 2 jackie images side by side on my facebook page and you can see how different they are. One of my friends, who sat near her at an event in the 60’s, says the line art image looks much more like the lady she was.

31. cagcrisp says

@JohnT58, The article you mentioned has now been updated reflecting 42,000 sold and only 7,378 available…

I think the graded dimes will do VERY well on secondary and HSN guy has his bus load of out of work actors buying them up as I type and off to ANACS with the red oak presentation box fit for TWO special dimes!

33. GoldFishin says

@JohnT58- Thanks….I was on the fence about buying a tube of the Kisatchie, got a few splinters in my butt jumping off to get me a MintDirect before prices jump. Got my P pucks ordered yesterday, so I am golden now and broke. ;-(

34. Teach says

Thanks Cagcrisp for the link. I guess I will need to look even closer at my sets.

35. SilverFan says

Off topic: Is it better to sell an unopened box of 5 MOD sets or sell the 5 individually?

36. mark says

Better to sell 5 unopened or individually. Either way has pros and cons. But you better hurry.

37. GoldFishin says

@SilverFan- currently they are both getting about the same money per set….you will save some on shipping by selling the 5 sets together, but you may sell 5 individually a little faster depending on how you price them.

38. Sith says

@SilverFan – Its complicated, but IMHO unopened is better if the iron is red-hot. Dealers have deep pockets, and you will be hard pressed to find a collector who can pay top dollar for 5 sets because they are betting on getting a 70 grade with a first release label. Now the complicated part…is the iron red- hot …Next time place 5 orders for one set to avoid the issue..again just my 2 cents.

39. mark says

Hard to place 5 seperate orders when the system overloads. And the backorder comes within 30 minutes.

40. GoldFishin says

OT- Speaking of ATB Bullion sell outs….I was just looking again at the line up for the rest of the year….Saratoga is the last offering this year and will almost certainly be the low mintage of the year…the design leaves much to be desired( like bodies or better yet CANNONS!!) and a lot of us stackers and collectors will be spent out for sure by then. Just thinking out loud really….

41. Tinto says

Got an email notification from the Mint this morning that my 3 MOD sets are being shipped. Since it’s going to a PO box I’ll get them late next week ….

42. GoldFishin says

@Tinto- I received mine to my PO Box in 2 days, they were delivered bright and early this morning….wasn’t dumb post this time. I was upgraded to Priority mail.

43. Tinto says

@GoldFishin

Mine is a Dumbpost PO box shipping no upgrades as far as I can see from reading the email notice … at least it is being shipped … did you order 5 sets ….

44. Sith says

@mark – I agree, but if you think it is hard now trying doing it on the old system…or hanging out in the wait room on the modified old system.

45. Sith says

Of course their was a flame about how the greedy flippers who did that were crashing the system for legitimate collectors, but that is now water under the bridge.

46. Sith says

@GoldFishin – Per my older post, I’m not sure what will have the lowest mintage this year, but inventory will be depleted after the Turkey puck, and their is nothing special about Blue Ridge, so I would also watch that one. As far as ugly the outhouse is a lot ugly than Saratoga, and with that coins emphasis on the British surrender rather than “America the Beautiful,” it may draw out history\revolutionary War buffs. Just my 2 cents

I had to send back my first “P” AtB today ever, due to what looked like a sneeze of milk spots on the obverse. I’m disappointed to hear that the Mint has cut the bullion sells. I was hoping for a lower selling “P” puck. I hope the one I ordered today is clean.

48. GoldFishin says

@Sith- yea, you could be right…plus it is the state of NY…that could bring out a few buyers also. I absolutely hate the design, so I guess I am biased against it.

@tinto-yes, 5 sets

49. GoldFishin says

@Dusty- there were a lot of Homesteads that had the sneeze milk spots also. I really hope that doesn’t become a long lasting problem like with the ASE’s. I quit collecting the ASE’s 4 years ago because of milk spots. It hasn’t been a problem with the 5 ozer’s until now.

50. Sith says

@GoldFishin – I hate the design because it suppose to be “America the Beautiful” not “Historical America.” Imagine if Gettysburg showed Pickets Charge, Fort McHenry showed Francis Scott Key writing, and Chaco Culture showed an Ancestral Puebloan making pottery.

51. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Hidalgo says , May 7, 2015 at 3:39 pm”
    “Personally, I do not know anyone who has become rich from buying and selling coins.”

Understood — however, I know/have known a few who either got rich, did very well, or does well when buying, selling/trading. I am not a dealer, however, I’ve made a few bucks . In cases were I turned over some items, for less than I would have liked to, I used the funds to reinvest and then made money after the math on some of that reinvestment. OR I traded and after the math, made a few bucks.

Then of course, as others have also done, I have purchased under valued items and a short time later, they paid for themselves. I have had a dealers/sellers under sale to me — you bet. Have I purchased items at wholesale? Yes. I have I been high bid on a low bided or missed item? Yes. Et cetera, et cetera.

Have I lost a few bucks, depends on what you mean — as stated above, had I sold for a loss and then not turned the funds into new investment, the answer would have been, yes. Have I paid for an education on occasion? Yes.Did it pay off later? Yes. In the end though, all things considered, no one intends on “losing money,” but it does happen. You also have the costs of doing business/collecting — accept it as part of the collecting experience and learn. 🙂

So — in the end, you do not have to be a “dealer” to make a few bucks. If you do what you enjoy/love, the cash will follow.
    🙂

52. The Real "Cool" Dave says

P.S. Have I gotten lucky on occasion? Depends on how you perceive/define “Luck.” I have always taught my son that “Luck,” favors the prepared.

53. Sith says

@mark – Oh and I forgot that is the reason you don’t open the boxes, they will still qualify for first strike months if not years after the 30 day cut off…so in theory your unopened box is now worth more than the dealers opened boxes, and of course if its a hot item the dealer will still try to get as many unopened boxes as possible.

54. Tinto says

@GoldFishin

Thanks I ordered 3 and just checked my tracking number and estimated delivery is next Tuesday … to be safe I’ll drop by the PO box Wednesday afternoon … can’t wait to get see the dimes.

55. GoldFishin says

@Sith- two more days at the current pace of sales of about 5700 a day and the MOD’s will be gone forever. Even if sales slow it looks like a sell out within another week. For the record I am keeping mine sealed for the reasons you gave. I would like to purchase a few more even with the backorder date given, but I am locked out.

@Cool Dave: I agree. I came across two Items online on a flash sale. Put them.on bay. Everyone else started to put them on bay, ran a local Craig’s list ad, had a buyer within one hour. Had iitems less than 24 hours. Made a few benjis, he has retail location, will make several hundred on them. Didn’t get greedy, met a new contact, said he’s into Coins. Was fun. There is always a way to have fun and make some Monet. could I have held out for more Monet, sure but I had items less than 24 hours and made over my car payment. Its out there, just trying to do that once a week is the key and the challenge.

Anyone who.finds slabbed dimes first, please post link, I am in the market now. Ha parlay I believe it’s called.

58. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Sith says on May 8, 2015 at 12:19 am:
    @mark – “Oh and I forgot that is the reason you don’t open the boxes, they will still qualify for first strike months if not years after the 30 day cut off . . .”

Uh — no, not accurate —

NGC: Offers the Early Releases designation for selected coins received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository during the first 30 days* of release.

PCGS: THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO OBTAIN THE FIRST STRIKE DESIGNATION

The (your) package (Does not mean in shipped package from the Mint) mailed to PCGS has a postmark date prior to the PCGS cutoff date for that particular coin/issue. Only the coins need to be mailed to PCGS and received within the first 30 days of issue.

Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date.

Occasional, however, they will announce temporary deviations/changes. For example, the 25th Anniversary Five Coin ASE had to be in the original Mint shipped package.

And sometimes they will allow more time.

*In rare instances, production or shipping delays at the US Mint or other mints may require that NGC extend the Early Releases period. The cutoff date will be reflected on the NGC website.

Hope this helps 🙂

Good Night All . . .

@The Real “Cool” Dave – I applaud your efforts, and the efforts of others to make a few bucks to sustain their purchases. I have been quite fortunate in that I have a well-paying job; have investments in stocks, bonds, and property; and made wise financial choices during my life. The earnings from my investments are in the 7-figure range. So I am blessed.

Since many bloggers here seem to want to get rich from investing in coins, power to them. That is their personal choice. And I cannot force them. I am offering words of advice and wisdom. Others have the freedom to listen to it or disregard it. 🙂

60. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Hidalgo

Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Many also have earnings from investment in coins and precious metals. By your choice of words and thought, I get the sense that you dismiss coins/precious metal as investments? And that is ok, since that is what we do on this blog — give opinions, commentary and discussion.

Many of us also have investments in other area’s like you, as well. If other’s want to get rich from investing in coins, who am I to disagree or dismiss? I understand that you are offering words of advice and wisdom, yet that same advice applies to other are not just coins. As far as your information presented earlier, I found myself asking, what is your source for the information/knowledge about the advice you presented? Some advice/opinion’s are more informed than others, some wiser and some not so much.

I am seeking to understand your point of view, in relation to my own and my experience, et cetera; however, I am not clear as to what advice and/or wisdom to which you refer, or to which you would like others to listen. other than your own experiences.

I am always mindful that this blog is visited by individuals from novice to expert and everything in between; thus, I do a lot of listening (often without commenting), seeking to first understand and careful not to give advice — only suggestions, information, my opinion. From their other’s can make decisions on what to do with that content, if anything.

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, & the world around us.

— Socrates

61. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Hidalgo

Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Many of us also have investments in other areas like you, as well. If others want to get rich from investing in coins, who am I to disagree or dismiss? I understand that you are offering words of advice and wisdom, yet that same advice applies to other are not just coins. As far as your information presented earlier, I found myself asking, what is your source for the information/knowledge about the advice you presented? Some advice/opinions are more informed than others, some wiser and some not so much.

I am seeking to understand your point of view, in relation to my own and my experience, et cetera; however, I am not clear as to what advice and/or wisdom to which you refer, or to which you would like others to listen, other than your own experiences.

I am always mindful that this blog is visited by individuals from novice to expert and everything in between; thus, I do a lot of listening (often without commenting), seeking to first understand and careful not to give advice — only suggestions, information, my opinion. From there others can make decisions on what to do with that content, if anything.

— Socrates

62. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Comment at 4:54 a.m., corrected for spelling and punctuation, et cetera at 5:02 a.m. 🙂

63. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Hmmm — my comments are being “moderated,” I wonder why? I find that happens sometimes, as though they are flagged by key words, subject et cetera.

64. mark says

@Seth..said try doing on the old system. Been buying every hot item from the mint since 1999. And have been able to get everyone. Even the 2011 silver eagle set. Yes the new system is alot better. But backorder coming within 30 minutes will be the new trend.

65. Erik H says

I have said before, I believe that the “spots” seen on the “P” pucks are residue from the vapor blasting that is used. Unlike “milk spots” these are removable. I don’t buy the bullion ATB so I don’t know about spots on these if any. I have seen toning on the bullion version (that could end up looking nice).

66. Erik H says

Also, I hate when “milk spots” just pop up out of nowhere. On first inspection nothing there. A few months or year later you see them! Canadian Maple Leaf bullion are the worst for this!

Regarding the postmark on the packages – the Mint ships many orders by UPS, and those don’t have dates or postmarks on them.

Thanks, Mark. I see it now.
    The real question is how many sets were ready to go on Monday and are all the rest not coming til August,
    or will some be sent earlier?

69. Ikaika says

Received my MOD set early this week along with the 5 oz ATB replacement. Both came in the same box. Very nice MOD set. My first ATB had two bad stains on the obverse. This one looks perfect although there was a big scratch on the capsule. But I can live with this since I am more interested on the coin than the holder hehehe 🙂

70. SteveF says

@Erik H so how would you recommend cleaning the sneeze spots? My Kisatchie P puck I received this week has this. I’m reluctant to send it back given the 65000 limit and current combined sales of 57,600; I’m afraid I’d receive somebody else’s reject when I reorder.

71. Eddie says

I collect the Quarter Three Coin Sets. What is the best way to store these altogether?
    The Mint doesn’t make any kind of box to put all of them in . So what do you kind your collection in? I just need some ideas what to keep them in. I have all of them so far.

My MoD’s are going to arrive in less than 4 hours and am getting excited.

72. mark says

@Louis…cant you find out how many MOD sets they had ready to go. I cant remember what product it was recently. But they did give you a number of how many they had ready to go?

it’s up now.

as for Mark’s question I’d love to know but have not been able to find out.

74. Eddie says

My MoD sets have arrived and they are beautiful. All 3 sets look to be 70’s if I were to have them graded but I just like OGP.
    My Turkey P puck looks very nice also.

75. Gary not Dave says

The 1996 W has a mintage of 1,457,000…that kinda makes these 75k Mintage Proof Dimes look minuscule. These 2 dimes will now have the 3rd and 4th place lowest mintage of all Roosevelt Proof Dimes.

1950 Proof 51,386
    1951 Proof 57,500
    2015 W RP 75,000
    2015 W PR 75,000
    1952 Proof 81,980

@Louis..would thisbe correct?

Gary- Yes. I looked it up in the Red Book this morning for a longer article I was working on.

77. gbotz says

Received my 5 March of Dimes Special Silver Sets today.
    They were shipped in the standard 11′ ‘x 6′ x 2.75′ box.
    The box is bulging and showing crush marks on
    top. bottom and sides and I can hear shuffling of
    the contents in the box.
    I didn’t plan on opening the box, but now I think that I
    have no choice.

78. Dave SW FL says

Regarding shipping by the mint :

I was assured by customer service that orders UNDER $300 will always be shipped SmmartPost. Also assured that they were REQUIRED to ship $300 and up by UPS.

Looks like another change inPolicy without notification.
    I’ve been on my soapbox regarding SmartPost and UPS before. Maybe somebody IS listening!! I just wish all policy changes were announced in advance ( like the DC sales, the reopening of the BBHOF dollars, etc.)

BTW, did we ever get an answer about why the MOD sets were sold at the DC store after a public announcement that it wouldn’t happen?