2015 March of Dimes Silver Dollar Design Selections

Yesterday, the United States Mint announced the design selections for the upcoming 2015 March of Dimes Silver Dollar. The commemorative coin was authorized to mark the 75th anniversary of the non profit organization founded by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to combat polio, which now works to improve the health of mothers and babies.

Under the authorizing legislation, up to 500,000 silver dollars may be issued in proof and uncirculated qualities during the one year period beginning on January 1, 2015. The designs for the coins are to be “emblematic of the mission and programs of the March of Dimes, and its distinguished record of generating Americans’ support to protect children’s health.” Even more specifically, the legislation provides that the design shall “contain motifs that represent the past, present, and future of the March of Dimes and its role as a champion for all babies, such designs to be consistent with the traditions and heritage of the March of Dimes.”

The US Mint had originally released a large slate of design candidates for the program, including 22 different obverse and 18 different reverse designs. Many of the candidates carried depictions of mothers and babies. Some carried images of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and/or Dr. Jonas Salk, who discovered and developed the first successful polio vaccine. A number of candidates also incorporated images of the Roosevelt Dime, the Mercury Dime portrait, or the dime books associated with the organization’s fundraising efforts. Images of all design candidates can be found in his article.

As provided by the authorizing legislation, the design candidates were reviewed by both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. The final selections were made by the Secretary of the Treasury, taking into account he recommendations of the two groups as well as the March of Dimes Foundation.

March of Dimes Silver Dollar

The selected obverse design features profile portraits of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk. The depiction of the two leaders in the fight against polio is intended to represent the past of the March of Dimes Foundation. The inscriptions read “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, and “2015”. The obverse was designed by Paul C. Balan and will be sculpted by Michael Gaudioso.

reverse-2

The selected reverse design features a depiction of a baby sleeping peacefully in the hand of its parent. The image is intended to represent the Foundation’s present and future mission of advancing work that supports healthy pregnancies and addresses prematurity. The inscriptions read “United States of America”, “March of Dimes”, “$1”, and “E Pluribus Unum”. The reverse was designed and will be sculpted by Don Everhart.

During their review, the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee had recommended the selected obverse design featuring the portraits of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk. For the reverse they had recommended an alternate design showing a mother cradling a baby in her arms. Full coverage of the CCAC’s review and recommendations can be found here.

The Commission of Fine Arts had recommended an alternate obverse design carrying an image of Dr. Jonas Salk, a 1946 Roosevelt Dime, and a dime fundraising card. For the reverse they had recommended an alternate design showing a dime being inserted into a collection card slot and a pair of leg braces and shoes. Coverage of the CFA’s recommendations can be found here.

Although the designs for the upcoming silver dollar will not incorporate any dime images, it is still possible that the US Mint may create a special numismatic offering incorporating one or more dimes. Over the summer, the Mint had distributed a survey to customers gauging the potential demand for a numismatic product containing a special silver proof dime and/or reverse proof silver dime, possibly carrying the “W” mint mark.

Comments

1. Eagle One says

JD,

Just goes to show that it is so hard to make money legitimately in this country right now. The unethical SBs are willing to try just about any freaking thing.

2. Jerry Diekmann says

About the nickels. Some day – eventually, when Congress finally decides to act, nickel will be removed from the nickels and replaced by nickel-plated steel, as Canada has been doing for over ten years now. However, I don’t think hoarding nickels would be practical if the Mint does switch to a baser metal. The nickel only contains 25% nickel – the rest is copper. This is a far cry from silver coins, which contained 90% of the precious metal, which was worth far more than nickel. I’m guessing that when the Mint finally goes to a cheaper alloy it will mint billions of them as it goes about reclaiming all the older nickels. I don’t see the value of the older nickels increasing, though, even after millions of them have been melted down to recover their copper and nickel. This will be a lot like Europe, in which many countries switched to euros and the marks and francs were no longer specie – they haven’t gone up in price because they were replaced by euros.

3. Eagle One says

JD,

You are right. We are becoming more and more like Europe every day. Fewer and fewer property owners and more Peasants. The Proletariats continue to be reduced to the Vulgar as the Bourgeois continue to encroach on the World’s economy. In Europe, families hoard metals and the possession of metal is a source of family income and a sign of family wealth. But the greatest index of wealth in Europe is property or dirt. The same is true for Asia. The same behaviors – identical but to varying scales. But far more deep seated than that observed in the US where we buy stocks and dirt. It just hasn’t gotten that bad here yet. I have traveled the World and observed it all first hand. When there is no income avenues for the common people; they tend to hoard metals, engage in unethical business practices, and work for grossly depressed wages. So, this may be the trend of things to come here at home. As far as your concern regarding circulating coinage, hardened aluminum alloys would serve better.

4. posterhunter says

The March Of Dimes probably will not get a single penny out of this commemorative because sales will be horrible. They have to sell enough to cover mint costs and I doubt they are able to achieve that level.

The Civil Rights coin has also had horrible sales so far this year, not enough to make money for the charity.

They should have made the March Of Dimes coin an exact replica of the Mercury Dime and they would have made millions.

5. VA Rich says

GF – trip was good, glad I went. I walked the bourse Friday afternoon and popped in Saturday and the only JFK sets I saw was the one I had in my hand and the two on display at the mint kiosk (they weren’t selling, just had a single display and computer/phone for purchases). PCGS would have graded them for $75 for standard JFK/FS label – I passed. Too expensive and too iffy, my Enhanced do not look like the pics I’ve seen on line, of the 5 coins, I have one that has a consistent laser polish. A couple of my proofs have issues as well so I will wait a while like you and grab a set at a reasonable price as I suspect a tuck load will be graded as a result of the quick shipping.
    Learn a lot from the class, and appreciate the openness of the dialogue- it was really insightful. I learned that I can’t tell the difference between 1926-D 5c that is spliced and halved back together with a different reverse to make a MS67 and the real thing! I’ll share some highlights that relate to past discussions/comments over the past year as I recall.
    – Grading is FAR MORE subjective than I realized. I think we’re our on worst enemy thinking these grades are the end all. It was interesting to hear that someone submitted a coin 23 times to PCGS and finally got the desired grade, talk about grading fees!
    – There was discussion on grading practices and policies that was in a very profession context, I can’t go into the details here, though I WILL NEVER buy a slabbed coin from any TPG other than NGC/PCGS, which also guarantee their product.

6. VA Rich says

– All grading is done by hand. NGC attempted to use a computer with software written to grade Morgans, though couldn’t get height determination right – so no computer grading. There’s only like 22 graders which 9-10 focus on moderns, 10 world graders, and 1 ancient.
    – If you want to be a grader you won’t be taking vacation January thru March as you’ll grading Eagles at a rate of 1 per 3-5 seconds. Yeah
    – My hats off the individual graders as they seem to have such a passion for coins. The impression that I got is that they know coins so intimately they need 10-20 seconds to make a grade, unless it’s a rarity.
    – NGC’s process is to have 3 graders review each coin, unless it’s a bulk run or moderns and if they agree it gets slabbed I recall. They have no idea whose coins they are grading, the First Baseman receives the coins in a flip via a runner, after the second review the Finalizer approves the grade or made the final determination.
    – We were taught just a use our vision and rotate under incandescent light. Only used a 5x magnification to go into problem areas. I used my loupe too much!
    – Rotating the coin under good light is key. Start with it upright and then turn 90 degrees and rotate again.

7. VA Rich says

– I learned a lot about toning, and would NEVER buy a toned coin that wasn’t certified. Saw a 2006-W ASE that was toned, someone had drilled a hole in the top on the slab and pumped gas in to it. That resulted in a criminal case.
    – There’s a Type 3 Buff, in 1917 they made Chiefs nose a little smaller! lol
    – They don’t screw around with people altering slabbed coins and apparently criminal prosecution is rather frequent.

8. VA Rich says

– They spend a lot on technology and trying to stay ahead of counterfeits. We may see the hologram soon whereby you shoot a laser at it and NGC is projected on the wall – that’s cool.
    – Accidents to happen in the process of slabbing a coin. If a finger print is left and like tones, they will buy it back as part of the guarantee.
    – If cleaning a coin, you had better know what you’re doing, especially use of a Q tip as hairline marks may be left.

9. VA Rich says

– Had an interesting chat with a nice gentleman from the mint. I found it intriguing that they really view themselves as vendors just like everyone else at the show and not like in charge of a show when a new release is offered. The mint just wants to stick to their charter and bring new offerings out to collectors and sell coins, period. They could care less about dealers and there’s no cahoots going on. They really didn’t expect the high sales of the JFK clads and were taken back on the bus loads after the gold JFKs, the level of demand at the show totally unexpected . Due to the complexities of production, packaging, shipping, etc., they often don’t know how much product will be available for shows.
    – Many of the questions we ask on MNB and want answers too, due to the complexities of production, packaging, shipping, etc., they often don’t know either. Everything is gauged by demand trends to meet demand and minimize cost.
    – We may see UHR sales at a show next year though timing of the release may be altered from what we’ve seen in the past, if I understood correctly. I see several possibilities here for the good.
    – All in all, I walked away with strong appreciation for just how much these graders must know all about all the various coins and varieties, very impressive, and I have sooo much to learn!

10. GoldFishin says

@VA RICH- very insightful…..I already practice most of the precautions about purchasing non graded coins that you mentioned. I am skeptical almost to a fault. I don’t even accept that is coin is authentic even if it is in a slab. I report sellers on ebay all the time and I am surprised how many people fall for their feits and leave great reviews.
    Cutting a coin in half I haven’t heard….wow on that one. I would like to think I could spot something like that by the deviation in polish marks, but if you couldn’t tell I am not so sure.
    How much attention do they pay to strike? I know PCGS places a huge emphasis on Strike and Eye Appeal….sort of gives them the last say when you dispute a coin’s grade.

My take away is….not enough grading time is given to grade the coins. I rotate my coins under my recess lighting if it is at night or if during the day I stand near a window without direct sunlight and do the same thing. If outside I stand in a shaded area on a sunny day and rotate the coin. I have found that either indirect sunlight from a window or outside in the shade makes imperfections jump out at you. I use 5x because you can see the entire coin better, I then go over it in detail with a 10x before I will submit them(to save money). I probably spend minutes checking a coin out, but the most obvious things you can see right away. It seems to me that the bulk graders still gain an advantage because of the lack of time spent grading their bulk submission. I think you could still interpret that as an intentional bias towards the big customers.
    I never clean a coin and I never use a Qtip on a proof coin. I have used Qtips to remove foreign objects(arm pit hair) from a coin, but all you have to do is lightly touch it and it will pick it up. I never swab the coin at all.

It sounds like you learned a lot and now we have your comments archived so we can use them as a reference. Thanks!!
    I have one question, how many beers does it take before a MS61 coin looks like a MS67 coin? 🙂

11. GoldFishin says

@VA RICH- also I never buy a ANACS or an ICG coin,,,,never. I don’t care how ANACS started out. I have been shouted down here on MNB by a very prominent poster because I made that comment once, so I just leave it alone, obviously stepped on the toes of someone’s collection. 😉

12. Tinto says

@GoldFishin

“….not enough grading time is given to grade the coins.”

Totally agree …. how on earth can a limited number (have NGC/PCGS/ANACS given information on how many graders they employ?) of graders truly assess and correctly grade perhaps thousands of coins in a short time span (have these TPGs broken out the number of coins one of their graders grade on an average day?) is something I find totally puzzling.

13. Hawkster says

Tinto,

After a grader has examined 100’s of coins during the course of a day, I would think eye fatigue would eventually set in, compromising the grading. Or, the grader being ill. Or, the grader not sleeping well the night before. Or, the grader being in a bad mood after a fight with his wife. I think you get my point: There are too many variables that make grading far from objective.

14. Joe says

I see they are selling TPG coins ( ASE’s) with the MLB licensed SF Giants and KC Royals labels. What is the connection ? There is none. The extra money to be made by selling the labels is all. They will probably expand to all the professional sports teams in time.

15. TimTom says

On ANACS/ICG/PCI etc … if you are a single collector, grading with them just for authenticity and most problems seems fine. But when you see that FDOI or whatever pedigree name on the slab, run away, because it’s most likely been graded “differently” or it’ a crap coin to begin with. I’m referring to the hucksters on shopping channels, tv commercials, non-PNG dealers or just cheap e-bay dealers. It’s sad to say but not knowing where a submission originated makes it almost impossible to trust the grade/value of the coin inside the 2nd tier slabs. And that’s why we refer to them as 2nd tier slabs.

On a personal note – I prefer PCGS for some coins, NGC for others and would not be against submitting to ANACS on my own just for grade/authenticity. But if I tried to sell that coin on the bay or any other avenue, I know it won’t realize as much as I think it should/would in NGC/PCGS even if the grade is “right”

16. Hawkster says

Getting back to the March of Dimes, which is supposedly a non-profit, charitable organization: The executive director makes $102,000 per year and the average salary of its employees is $45,000 per year.
    So yes, a good percentage of contributions go toward paying salaries.

17. sharks2th says

Metals are continuing their slide in Asia right now. Silver is down over 2% and below $16. It looks like gold and platinum could drop a tier this coming week at the Mint. If the slide continues they could possibly drop 2 tiers.

The Mint is going to have trouble selling the upcoming P pucks if they don’t lower the price. $154.95 for less than $80 of silver is a bad deal. The premium wasn’t this high when silver was pushing $50.

18. jeff says

There’s a new cowboy in town his name is Peterson he could care less about the collector. It’s max profits that’s it his republiturd buddy’s will see to it. The plan will be to close down the mint or at least out source it to the Asians lol

Sharks, You’re right on in your expectations, I’m with you. I am pretty certain though that at the present price of precious metals the US Mint is now in negative earnings territory which may rival 2012 Mint losses. This will undoubtedly be an interesting end of the year watching for what mintages will look like.

20. NC_Stacker says

VA Rich

Thank you for the posting. I learned something new today because of your trip.

About the splicing of a coin, it reminds me of the spy coin. Google spy coin

21. Bob R says

Interesting thing about the Kennedy silver set now…a lot of what if’s…
    I don’t see the mint selling near 300k at these prices, what a joke.
    I am old school, 18th, 19th, and early 20th century coins are really collectables.
    They do not and will never follow the whim of SLV & GLD prices.
    The new modern coin collectors only hope to get back into history for values
    only to be crushed with the strength of the dollar, the fall of the VIX,, and the
    hope of a cheap metal to make a come back.
    Sure SLV & Gld will come back again some day (it may hit $6 before it hits $50), and oil will too. As long as the dollar gains strength, Sadie Arabia controls the prices of oil (they are holding prices low to hurt competition, from Russia, South America, Canada, and Northern US) that is the business of commodities.
    Forgive me for my long rant, I enjoy collecting coins, just hate losing values in investments.

22. Tinto says

@Joe

Agree ..

Totally dumb but there’s someone dumber who will buy the MLB label on an ASE …… so the TPG makes out like a bandit … IMO …

what next, horoscope labels … ?

Maybe they have it already for the Chinese lunar coins …..

23. Pittsburgh P says

Damn I didn’t even see this thread til now, was still watching the JFK thread…

VaRich you meet up with any of the MNB crew in Baltimore?

24. cagcrisp says

With the Morning fix in the books ($1,170.75) it would take an Average of $1,216.78 the remaining 5 fixes Plus an Afternoon fix of Over $1,200.00 for there to NOT be a price reduction..

25. CasualCollector says

I see on eBay a few sellers with Kennedy Silver (K13) graded 69 (NGC and PCGS). Some as 4-coin sets, others as individual coins. One seller has 10 available 4-coin sets graded 69.

I wish I had the statistics regarding how many sets that seller submitted to get 10 of each coin as a 69. How many were 70 (or how many were lower than 69)?

26. cagcrisp says

@Mr. Kairu, There really is no set time. The past two weeks IF it was not out by Now it would not be out until Tuesday morning. Since the change over to the new Mint’s site, things have changed.

27. Mr. Kairu says

Ah that makes sense, thanks Cag. I (along with others I would suspect) are anxious to find out what the numbers are for the Kennedy silver set. 😀 Soon I suppose.

28. Eagle One says

I just placed another order for a K13 at 12AM Today (+144 hrs.) and the invoice number was 2,663,7XX. However, I think the counting of invoices is no longer an accurate method of estimating K13 sales. I am waiting for the official number from the Mint too.

CasualCollector says
    NOVEMBER 3, 2014 AT 9:03 AM

Email them via ebay and ask…They may be willing to share their experience and if you could pass it along to the rest of us, that would be welcome too! 🙂

NC_Stacker says
    NOVEMBER 2, 2014 AT 9:59 PM

VA Rich

Thank you for the posting. I learned something new today because of your trip.

About the splicing of a coin, it reminds me of the spy coin. Google spy coin

Also that coin that opened up into a locket on Pawn Stars..That was really cool!

31. Dave SW FL says

Even junk silver coinage is catching a high premium – now above 15% ! That has doubled in the last few weeks. Think my cancelled puck subscription will go to a bullion puck and some of that ” junk”!

32. Samuel says

how to delete the “My Product Enrollments”, since there is no 10% discount?
    have to call?

33. NC_Stacker says

I just received the 2nd order first of K13. I have to send one set back as there is something on the West Point coin right in the middle of Kennedy’s head and it looks like its growing ( could be Ebola). It’s not a coin defect but something when the capsule was placed to seal the coin. I’ll post an image of it later.

Now the bigger question, do I open the 1st order when it arrives to make sure everything is OK or take my chances down the road. Oh the options.

34. John Q. Coinage says

Maybe sell like 10,ooo unc & 50,000 proof IF lucky; maybe if it was to research EBOLA cure the people would care…..maybe an opportunity for a low mintage coin, but who will buy it from YOU or ME? melt value v. cost, melt now @ like $14 & the mint will charge almost $50…yeah that FAIR!

Hey, I was looking at my enhanced s haves I noticed that some are frosted in lines from noise to neck, but one of the 5 shows almost no lines where the laser enhanced the head. Has anyone else noted this?