2015 Native American Dollar Design Candidates

The reverse design candidates for the upcoming 2015 Native American Dollar have recently been released. The coins will honor the Mohawk Ironworkers who worked from the 1920’s onwards building prominent landmarks in New York City such as the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the George Washington Bridge, and the World Trade Center. They had a reputation as top notch workers on high steel who did not fear heights or dangerous conditions.

A total of 20 different design candidates were provided by the United States Mint (numbered 2015-NA-R-02 to 2015-NA-R-21). These were reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) at a meeting held yesterday and will also be reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA). As required under the authorizing legislation, the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians will also have an opportunity to review the designs and offer their recommendation. The authority to select the final design rests with the Secretary of the Treasury.

Detailed coverage of the CCAC and CFA discussions and recommendations will be forthcoming on Coin Update News.

For now, here is a look at the design candidates. Click any image for a larger version.

2015-NA-R-02 2015-NA-R-03 2015-NA-R-04 2015-NA-R-05 2015-NA-R-06 2015-NA-R-07 2015-NA-R-08 2015-NA-R-09 2015-NA-R-10 2015-NA-R-11 2015-NA-R-12 2015-NA-R-13 2015-NA-R-14 2015-NA-R-15 2015-NA-R-16 2015-NA-R-17 2015-NA-R-18 2015-NA-R-19 2015-NA-R-20 2015-NA-R-21

Comments

I love 07 just as a new perspective for a coin. That looks way cool. Still need to study the rest but wanted to give a comment on first “gut” response.

Sith, I like 13 for same “perspective” reason and/or the bolts on the sides! Way cool!

Feathers coming out of the hard hat…Would like to see a real photo of that first.

4. VABEACHBUM says

Of the 21 examples, I see a lot of great artwork. But, I think many of them are so intricate that the details will get lost within the space available on the field of a Golden Dollar.

I love the perspective views of 07 and 13. At the moment, 13 is my personal favaorite. I think it adds a nice balance of negative space, and I love the way the artist incorporated the Iron Worker into the “portal” of the field. Still, I think the level of detail for the cityscape will be tough to convey on the Dollar Coin, but I hope they can find a way to make it work. 07 is a great presentation, too, but the extreme level of detail and the lack of negative space will kill it.

Between both committees, I think 04 will get the nod. Although not my favorite, this coin creates a simple yet effective display that delivers the message. The Sky Walker is a singular device within the negative space and is balanced against the sky line. This will make a nice PR coin and will be easily recognizable on the BU issues.

5. Sith says

fmtransmitter – 7 initially looked “funny” but looking again its an interesting design

6. JBK says

Who comes up with these designs? Yes, they all look great in sketch format but most would look terrible on a coin. The detail would be lost and some of them would be downright unidentifiable,

3, 4, or 18 for simplicity and “coinability”. If you want a picture to hang on your wall, then maybe one of the others.

7. MarkInFlorida says

Interesting. I like 07 best too. Too bad these won’t be in circulation.

OT- did you see the huge hoard of coins that was discovered, including 10,000 1909 VDB cents, bags of large cents, bags of bust halves, etc.? possibly $20,000,000 worth, just hoarded away, now to be sold at auctions. But it seems this will be likely to depress the values of collector coins for a long time, until they are all bought up by the market.

I had no idea of the story behind the Mohawk iron workers, so this is an interesting post.
    Looking at them all, I didn’t notice the first time through that the workers hand is grasping the rim of the coin in 13. To me, the hand may signify a deep “spiritual like” viewpoint of native American Indians, as though the worker is co-existing in two worlds.
    I think the coin we will see chosen will be one that is uncomplicated and clean and will be able to establish that the subject of the coin is without a doubt native, such as a clear view of the face or feathers.
    I’m not a fan however of 7 because the design eludes to a single story of the natives being unafraid of heights which is not their entire story.
    Not to say they were, but it did cross my mind.

9. gary says

Another bullion coin to compete with is back this year. There will be an uncirculated 2014 Platinum eagle bullion variety coin.

10. JBK says

Dustyroads – that was very observant: “It may just be me, but I sense some exploitation in the story of their fearlessness, IE, were they thought of by their employers as dispensable?”

I have no doubt that they were fearless, hard workers, etc., but I’ll bet there was a bit of exploitation there as well. They were probably cheap to hire and were willing to do the dirty/dangerous work because they probably did not have lot of other job opportunities due to discrimination. It was either be fearless or go hungry…

The marketing of this coin had better tread lightly so as not to present an over-glorified or sanitized view of what was going on back then.

11. Curt Gehm says

Not one of them are appealing. The Empire State Building surrounded by Feathers would have been appropriate. I’m also sure there were Steel Workers that were not of Mowhawk Heritage that worked on the Building also. The Mowhawk Workers were selected because they are not effected being at high altitudes and have better balance skills so they were less to fall off the steel beams falling to their death.

I like R-02. I am not interested in seeing the top of someone’s head or their backs.

I think most of these will never get out of review. I like a lot of them – but as has been pointed out – they are far to detail oriented to make a good small $1 coin.

That leaves a lot of them on the drawing table. While I don’t have a preference for the following – I think they are more likely to be selected.

#4 #9 #10 #11 #12 and #18

All the others will never make the cut.

14. Jeff says

What The Hell Are They Thinking. These Images In No Way Depict Every Day Life Of A Native American Or There History I Am Shocked And Stunned Where Are The Other Choices Are We To Believe These Are The Best Pictorials NA Working On The 45th Floor Of A High Rise Building Amazing. What About A canoe, Hunting Buffalo

@Jon – the Native American $1 Coin Act does not designate WHERE the Native Americans lived. The act specifies in part that the one dollar coin shall depict “images celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the development of the United States and the history of the United States.”

The above coin meets the intent of the law.

By the way, the last coin in the series will be issued during 2016 unless Congress passes a law to extend the series.

16. KEITHSTER says

Ya’ll kidding me right #7 makes me want to hurl just thinking about it let alone looking down!If it has to be maybe 13 or14 -15 or 16 please. So how do you go from living free and easy and owning this place to next year your working for the man and building his giant steel tepee’s that was their next contribution don’t think so? If so maybe they should change the obverse maybe showing the the long marches to the reservations? Anyhoo Good Luck To Us All:>:>:>

17. Don says

Steve,
    He kind of reminds me of Steve Reeves, pulling at the chains in the movie “Hercules”.

18. VA Rich says

I have always enjoyed and appreciated the Native American series, though hope to see a change up in 2016. The timing of ’16 plays nicely for supporting the heraldic and allegoric design transition we may see starting in ’15 with the new classic push…, we’re over due to getting back to basics.

You know I have to agree with Jeff. This is a skill and a job a very small portion of the tribe participated in. I knew their story from way back, and while it’s a tribute to these men, it seems more about modern American industrial heritage than their own native culture. What’s next a depiction of a casino? More Native Americans have worked in that endeavor than building skyscrapers, yet I’m sure an image of gambling wouldn’t be PC. I’m in for a roll of P & D, but IMO even the worst of the past years is more in keeping with the sprit of the series. This would have made a better commemorative on silver where details could be better appreciated.

20. Warren says

My favorites are 15, 13 and 7 in that order.

I think 15 would look great as a proof, but not sure how it will come out as a circulation coin.
    I like 13 because the worker is stepping into the coin and using part of the rim as a support.
    And 7 is a great, but unrealistic, perspective. If he were actually looking straight down, he’d see the building or the construction site, not other buildings or a neighborhood.

In 2 they should replace the $1 with a heart because it looks like the two workers are gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes.

21. Ray says

None of the proposed art for this coin looks very good imo. I also dont like the topic. I like some of the past NA designs, and Ive bought some rolls the past couple of years, but this was one product that I decided to not buy moving forward.

Wheres the 100th anniversary celebration of the Mercury dime? And our multiyear schedule?

22. Robert says

A really cool image for the NA $1 would be the Crazy Horse Monument being constructed near Mt Rushmore. Give them some publicity. Help bring in some needed revenue.

Steve, That’s a good one.. you crack me up. I already had an idea about those guys, but didn’t want to say it.

The feathers were put in the hard hat to help them fly to the ground when they fell off. J/K…Relax!! lol

25. Gary says

How about a design depicting a buffalo hunt before the white man wiped out all the buffalo.

26. Jayne says

I absolutely love 7. It will be a coin I would fear looking at. Some of you know what I mean when t comes to heights. That would certainly be a candidate for PCGS MS70 and PR70DCAM for my collection.

I like this artist and feel they have huge potential at the Mint. Just need a little Mercanti experience under their belt about what strikes “right” on blanks and mirror fields. Speaking of, there is a drawing of the Reverse of our Silver Eagle in the new Mercanti book with the heraldic Eagle looking away at an angle. Wow is all I can say about that. What could of been, and what could BE in the future. A special SE, using the second reverse never chosen by Mercanti!!!

That is what is nice about a retired former Chief engraver. He still can consult and help out if he chooses and he can do other projects like the Wedge Tail for other Countries. He is a great artist along with Gasparro IMHO.

My condolences for Dave Harper and family on the passing of his Father. I got Father issues so I will leave it with that. Good luck all as KEITHSTER would say!

29. oldfolkie says

I like lots of the designs, and I see the connection to American history. I could live with several of those mentioned above.

30. ClevelandRocks says

Three ’13 proof plats PCGS PR70 FS avail @MCM for $2349!
    Sure price will jump soon.
    Wish I had more funds…..

31. Eddie says

#07 looks like we have a jumper. It just looks like me is thinking about jumping. Besides I don’t think the Mint would choose it because it is so busy.I wouldn’t be surprised if they picked #18 because it is so simple.

32. VARich says

CR – the mint would have sold a lot more of the ’14 Platinum without those gears…, ..just another example of the cogs of Gov’t screwing up something that could have been quite successful and elegant. And yes, I would have purchased one…, oh well, time to get back to the classics!

33. VARich says

I am a first time subscriber, so if the GSM AtB Puck is to ship on Monday, 07 April, can someone chime in here as to when we should expect the credit card to get pinged prior to shipping please –

34. JBK says

Hidalgo’s take on this is thought-provoking: “the Native American $1 Coin Act does not designate WHERE the Native Americans lived. The act specifies in part that the one dollar coin shall depict “images celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the development of the United States and the history of the United States.”

On a technicality, perhaps Canadian Indians qualify. But then again, I think that the politically correct term “Native American” is used only or mainly in the US, so one could also argue that anything related to Native Americans is US-based, so in that case “Canadian Native Americans” would not qualify. (When I lived in England they referred to them as “Red Indians” so as to differentiate them from “Indians” who were from India, but we won’t even touch that one).

As far as the series ending in 2016, it is just as well. It did not have the intended impact of getting people to use or even collect the coins, other than the same collectors who buy just about everything the mint produces. We seem to be picking up the slack for a lot of failed coin programs…

35. VABEACHBUMZ says

@ VARich – agreed completely wrt snapping up a 2013 Pt if the gears had not been added. When this design was revealed last year, I had commented that this particular portrayal of Liberty on her own could have been the first of this generations’ Classic Coinage. I would have loved to have seen the current ASE series end at the 25th Anny, then start a new series with this Liberty and a different, heraldic Eagle. Here’s to wishing…

For the ATB’s, actual billing usually is tied to the Ship Date, +/- a day. With few exceptions, most of the P-Pucks have been back-ordered from the first day of sale, anywhere from 3 to 15 days.

36. VABEACHBUM says

37. VABEACHBUM says

My apologies to everyone for the duplication. Working through some severe operator error issues today!!

38. merryxmasmrscrooge says

cool, America needs a little more industrialization and grit in their representations.

39. VARich says

Thanks VABB – much appreciated! My fingers are crossed that we’ll see Ms. Liberty again without the cogs in a year or two with the roll out of the Classics! Cheers!