2015 Proof American Gold Eagles

Today, March 12, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2015 American Gold Eagle Proof Coins. As a change from prior years, there are no product limits or maximum mintages established.

2015 Proof Gold Eagle

The obverse design of the American Gold Eagle features Augustus Saint Gaudens’ classic depiction of Lady Liberty from the double eagle. Liberty appears in full length holding a lit torch and olive branch, moving confidently forward against the backdrop of the rays of the rising sun and the U. S. Capitol building. The inscriptions “Liberty” and the “2015” date appear with a ring of 50 stars surrounding.

reverse

The reverse design features Miley Busiek’s rendition of a family of eagles. The male eagle is shown carrying an olive branch to the female eagle and eaglets in their nest. The inscriptions include “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, “In God We Trust”, along with the precious metal weight and legal tender denomination.

The 2015 Proof American Gold Eagles are offered across four different sizes. These include 1 oz gold coins with a denomination of $50, 1/2 oz gold coins with a denomination of $25, 1/4 oz gold coins with a denomination of $10, and 1/10 oz gold coins with a denomination of $5. Each coin is available individually or as part of a four coin proof set.

As mentioned, the US Mint is offering this year’s coins without stated product or mintage limits and indicates that customer demand will determine the number of coins produced. In previous years, the US Mint had established specific limits for each product option, which also served to create maximum mintage levels for each coin. Last year the limits were 20,000 units for the individual 1 oz and 1/10 oz coins; 10,000 units each for the 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz coins; and 15,000 units for the four coin proof set.

The pricing for the 2015 Proof Gold Eagles has been established based on an average market gold price within the $1,150 to $1,999.99 range. Product pricing will vary throughout the course of the offering based on changes in the market price of gold. For the start of sales pricing is $170 for the 1/10 oz coin, $397.50 for the 1/4 oz coin, $770 for the 1/2 oz coin, $1,510 for the 1 oz coin, and $2,797.50 for the four coin proof set.

Over the past several years, sales and the corresponding mintage levels for the Proof Gold Eagles have fallen to historically low levels. In particular, the 2012 and 2013 dated issues had established some new lows for different denominations of the series in proof format. The last reported sales for the 2014-dated issues come in slightly above these levels, perhaps showing some signs of stabilization or rebound.

Comments

1. gary says

My expectations for the AGE (and reason for declining mintages) is that it is anachronistic.
    It is composed of an archaic composition when compared to the pure gold buffalo and to the pure gold ounce bullion of most world mints. The .999 (and higher) standard is the new normal. My guess is that eventually (may take many years!) the Mint will get around to addressing this with an appeal to Congress to abolish these. But then again, it may not happen since for eight long years Congress has permitted the Mint to lose money in coining cents and nickels. If they did not want to take the leap to abolish the 1 and 5 cent, couldn’t Congress at least suspended minting them for any years they would lose money?

2. Leo S. says

Off the Subject – Just checked the Mint Schedule and the they have listed the issue dates for the First Spouse gold coins. The 2015 Bess Truman coin comes out April 16, so surely they will remove the 2013 FS coins at that time. Looks like the Mint only sold 10+ 2013 FS coins last week.

3. NC_Stacker says

A public service announcement.

For those that still have the puck subs, just received my pucks from the mint and they will be going back due to damage. The three I ordered were placed in a box that would hold 25/30 pucks and used 3 sheets of wrapping paper for padding and protection ( each no larger than a 8 1/2 x 11 ).

From the C&C set to this..180 deg in packaging.

Now back to our regular scheduled programing.

Just noticed the Mint has put the sold out tags up on the Marshals proof and uncirculated dollars with the remind me button in place to prevent purchases. Are the afraid of overselling?

5. D Rittenhouse says

The Mint today issued a press release at http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/?action=press_release&id=1665 announcing the upcoming Mar 17 availability of the 2014 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set (LS3). In that release, the Mint explains the delay in product availability:

“The release of the 2014 United States Mint Limited Edition Silver Proof Set was delayed because of packaging improvements the bureau made based on returns for the 2013 set. The process took longer than expected, and the sets could not be assembled until March. The coins were all produced in 2014.”

6. D Rittenhouse says

@Dustyroads,
    I don’t see any “Sold Out” labels associated with the US Marshals silver dollar coins, yet. I do see that they have been marked “Out of Stock,” which means the current Memphis warehouse inventory has fallen to zero.

7. Ends in Error says

No limits on 2015 Proof AGE’s? That’s an interesting twist. It will be interesting to see just how high the retirement account fans can stack em up now.

True, I was wrong about the “sold out”, I didn’t intend to make that my point. I did intend to bring up , as it has already been done here before, the fact that the Mint is continuing to prevent sells of coins by displaying it’s “REMIND ME” button, a completely unneeded facet unless they really think they are about to oversell the coins. Also I can’t help but to wonder if the murder of Marshal Josie Wells, which made headline news had an effect on coin sells.

Leo,

While the Mint taking the 2013 First Spouse coins off-sale when Bess Truman goes on sale certainly sounds great, I’m not counting on it. I’m really hoping I’m wrong, but I’m afraid the new normal for the Mint regarding the FS coins will be to continue selling them until they achieve a natural sellout. It’s frustrating that the 2013’s are continuing to be sold, since they should have been cut off on 12/31/14. The Mint sets a precedent for the first six years of the program, then pulls an underhanded stunt like this with the 2013’s. I never would have bought any extras of any of them had I known the Mint was going to change the rules in the middle of the game!

Not that it will really matter, but the Edith Roosevelt proof coin should sell out in a few more weeks, with only 17 left at the time of this writing. However, they’re only being sold at a snail’s pace. As I recall, there were only 63 of them left the night of January 2nd, when we sold out the 83 remaining Eleanor Roosevelt proof coins. It’s taken almost 10 weeks just to sell 46 coins!

10. Leo S. says

Brad

I agree with you but I keep hoping. At the rate the 2013 FS are selling, the Mint won’t close them out till 2020. At this point, I think I will end up with a bunch of 1/2 oz gold bullion coins.

11. Ends in Error says

I’m getting the feeling the 2013 FS Golds have become like the 1999 Proof Susan B Anthony $1. The SBA remained on sale for a couple years. Finally it did sell out but it seemed like forever and a day.

This new fulfullment firm has brought a new game with their own rules. Your guess is as good as anyone’s as to what these new rules are.

12. GoldFishin says

Called Customer Service at the Mint today to inquire about my request to replace Not refund the USM clad proofs I returned because of poor quality. I know because of the info from this site not to expect replacements, but it was on the return form that I could have them replaced so I thought it was worth a try. SO, I called and talked to one CSR that told me I would have to repurchase….well, I told her that the form said I could have them replaced and that I had paid introductory pricing for the ones that I had purchased and now I would have to pay a higher price. She was about to talk to someone and asked me if I could hold…..yes….I was disconnected. SO, I called back and instead of going through everything again, I asked to speak to a Supervisor….can you hold…..yes………………….came back told me they would have to call me back…..ok…..your number is……yes….ok……thank you. That was early this morning…no call back….so frustrating that they can’t get their quality up and act together. I will buy my dimes on ebay already graded. 5 weeks now and still waiting on USM Silver Proofs.

On the positive side the return was painless and was credited back to my account in less than a week including shipping time. I almost always ask for replacements when I return something and Do Not like the new policy of having to reorder.

13. cagcrisp says

@GoldFishin, I got 20 clad Marshal’s inToday. Terrible quality on ALL. I got them to give out to children IF/WHEN the museum is built. My Option is to send them back, get refund, pay an Additional $80 and HOPE that I get 20 that are good Quality. I doubt if I ordered 500 clads from “D” IF I would get 20 suitable…

14. Tonyw says

No limits? No purchase for me then. I’ll buy gold bullion another way.

Although I will buy if everybody thinks like me 🙂

15. GoldFishin says

@cagrisp- I read your earlier post…that is just terrible. Here you are trying to a great thing for the kids and can’t even get one keeper? Now, you will probably have to wait another 6 weeks like me if you reorder. One thing the US Mint did have before was good customer service and it seemed their procedures were geared around ensuring that we ultimately received the level of quality that we would be happy with. Not so much anymore. I get the impression that the production and fulfillment operations have ZERO contact with one another. The CSR’s have no idea about coin related issues, other than what they see on their screen, which is exactly what we see on the US Mint website. Good luck to us all!

GF..cag – it seems like we operate in a vacuum some times. The “D” mint has been terrible for quality for years. You often see them fail to put out more than a handful of MS70 commemorative coins. We joke and comment on it, and yet there seems to be nothing change at that mint.

thePhelps~ Good one, didn’t see it coming. Thanks for the big laugh.

GoldFisnin~ Yeah, I feel like my back’s against a wall with CS, I’m just hoping they can improve.

cagcrisp~ Personally, I agree with Mr. Phelps, the halves are difficult to find in good condition, especially from the Denver Mint. Have you seen a video of the coins being produced? They are all on top of each other and sliding around.

18. Ends in Error says

Thephelps

Denver is know as the ” Mile High” City isn’t it?

Also isn’t Cannabis legal out there now?

Maybe the employees are just too high to do a good job making such mundane items as Coins. They probably daydream about taking some Coins to a vending machine and testing them out. Got to make sure the things work in a vending
    machine, right?

19. Jerry Diekmann says

Gary – good point on Congress’ inaction regarding the AGE (and ASE) and the nickel and cent coins. But the Congresses we have had in the 21st century have to be regarded as smong the most dysfunctional legislators in the history of this country. Coinage is just the tip of the iceberg on their inability to direct or govern or do anything that might benefit most American citizens. The way to solve the problem, at least with the cent and nickel, among the least of the problems Congress has caused for itself, is to immediately cease production of the cent (it is worthless – they already know from experts that there is NO alloy that exists that would cost less than 1 cent to make and distribute). If that is not the classic definition of worthless – “not worth the powder to blow you to hell”, than I don’t know. Then, make the nickel thiiner, continue no reeding, and make it out of some alloy that has stppd the test of time and has been used in other countries with success, like for example, aluminum bronze or nickel plated steel. The have commerce round alltransactions to the nearest 5 cents. This is not rocket science – it is just common sense. Why pour taxpayers’ money down a rathole just because you can’t get your act together?

The second part of the efficiency solution would be, I know ad naseum, ad infinitum, is to stop printing dollar bills and dollar coins at the same time. Just pick one – I don’t really care – and go with it. I personally think the dollar coin is more cost effective, and again, this type of unit, like the pound and euro, has achieved success and consumer acceptance throughout much of Europe. But this argumenbt has been made for so long now, with no action, being taken, and it is still as valid, if not more so, that the day the idea was first proposed, that I actually don’t care what happens now – I am burned out on the subject, and I bet a lot of you are sick and tired of the subject too.

The bloggers on this web site for the most part have soo many sensible and superior ideas on how the Mint should operate, it’s a wonder that no one in Congress or the Mint ever seems to take notice, or care about doing a better job for the people they are supposed to represent. aAnd like I said, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to leadership in our government. Common sense in the federal government, I.m afraid, is not common at all. Nothing partisan – both parties are at fault here.

20. Ends in Error says

So how did the Big Boys end up owning the 2015 Proof AGE MS70 First Strike and Early Releases market?

Well, it seems the Mint flubbed up and set no limits on mintage at all. This kept the smaller buyers in chains as they rightly feared a possible 100,000+ mintage. Meanwhile the big boys loaded up and of course they got the lions share of 70’s from the TPG’s.

After a short time Gold shot up to the moon and sales dropped dramatically. The Mint called a cap on production , as usual but by then sales stayed dead. Between sky high gold, OOS and Sold Out games and sorry grades from the TPG’s a really small mintage was the end result. And of course the FS & ER deadlines were long gone.

Way to go Mint. You screwed the little guys again. But no worries, being in bed with the big boys is better lovin for you in many ways.

21. Jerry Diekmann says

GoldFishin – I can’t help thinking that your comments mirror exactly what happened to a once respected and venerable insatitution called Sears, or Sears, Roebuck & Co. Many years ago the hotshots at Sears made the strategic decision that doomed the company. They decided to save money by foregoing customer service , firing most of their sales force, and letting young people work for peanuts doing little other than ringing up purchases. The cashiers knew very little or nothing about the products they were selling. This policy may have worked for a while, but it drove away long-time customers, people like me, especially when they compounded their mistake and ended catalog purchases. Remember Sears Roebuck catalogs? The old ones were used a lot like those corn husks some bloggers were talking about when the Homestead quarters came out. Well, the company started to lose sales, and earnings plummeted. Eventually they were taken over by Kresge and became part of KMart, a company which doesn’t earn or deserve much respect anymore. The guys running Sears back then never understood that in the retail business, the last thing you want to do is lose customers, especially long-time customers. Sears is now just as shell of the company it once was, and I expect that it is just a matter of time until it joins Montgomery Ward, once its main competitor, in the ranks of extinct and failed businesses.

This situation mirrors what seems to be happening with Congress and the Mint when it comes to efficiency of operations and customer service, with one big difference. The difference is that as part of government, it has really no incentive to improve operations, always being able to raise taxes or print money, and so it really could care less about customer service. This is the main difference between private enterprise and the government. If private enterprise creates a situation where they lose customers, either poor products or poor customer relations, they most certainly will either go out of business or be taken over by some other company which values customer service more highly. Not so the government – they really have very little incentive to do the job better and they have absolutely no accountability to the customer. The IRS operates the same way – they require – demand – an accounting from every taxpayer every year for what they earned and what they spent. Have you ever got an accounting from the IRS or the government saying how they spent all the money they collected in taxes? No – when you are dealing with the government, it is never a level playing field. They make the rules, and they change the rules whenever it suits them.

End of rant – glad I got that off my chest – but every word is true.

22. GoldFishin says

@Jerry- add the retailing giant Target to your list….they are in the process of doing the same thing. Over the last couple years the quality of their products has gone down and the friendly knowledgeable sales attendants that used to be so helpful throughout the store have been replaced by “crickets” and unmotivated part time workers at the cash register. Add to that the inability to keep customers personal information private and you can successfully sacrifice a company on the altar of meeting the latest quarterly earnings estimate. End of similar rant.

Disclaimer-My wife loves to buy her household items such and laundry detergent, paper towels, etc at Target, but little else anymore. Good luck to us all!

Gold coins, Silver coins, Dirty Coins

One of the mint’s big buyers (Gov Mint, I think) has been offering ASE’e with the signature of the retired engraver. The premiums are ridiculous. Their sales are down and they are trying every trick to move their inventory. I believe that if they stay close to spot (even at $15.50 or whatever) they can achieve sales. But the notion that tacking on signatures and added bells and whistles will move their stock seems to fill their brains. For me, JM Bullion and Provident — who sell just over spot — have the right and time tested game plan.

Gary (aka GSDykes)

24. GoldFishin says

I have always liked the AGE reverse mostly because of the nesting eaglet, but I have to admit I never really noticed how out of proportion the left wing span of the Eagle is. I had to laugh when I inspected it closely….it is about as oversized as the eagle wings on the Morgan reverse are undersized. 😆

Jerry Diekmann ~ Nicely said, I enjoy buying tools at Sears because of their replacement policy, but a selector switch for a washer I had them order for me came in dusty and damaged. When I took it back to them in the original shipping box, the girl behind the counter told me she could not reorder the part and that I was stuck with it. That was contrary to what any other store would do, so I told her something close to what you just expressed and told her that Sears just lost me as a customer.

GSDykes~ That is GovMint’s angle. I don’t even bother looking at their catalogs. Their business model must be to sell less for more, advertize, advertize, advertize, and call potential clients over the phone and pressure them in hopes of making a sell.

27. GoldFishin says

I love to Ben Franklin quotes, here is one of the more controversial ones. 😯

I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; he is a bird of bad moral character; like those among men who live by sharping and robbing, he is generally poor, and often very lousy. The turkey is a much more respectable bird.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, letter to Sarah Bache, Jan. 26, 1784

Dusty…even the replacement tool policy at Sears is a thing of the past. I’ve had better luck (and of late tools) by shopping at Harbor Freight. Sears took a venerable tool brand of Craftsman and managed to make them about as good as the Chinese chrome vanadium tools of the 70’s.

Jerry the dysfunction in our government goes far beyond a faltering congress. We as voters own a good portion of it, because of the things we expect them to provide for us – instead of providing for ourselves. I’ve worked in big business for my entire career and can say first hand that once a business (or government) gets too big the waste is inevitable and predictable. That’s why cheering for our government to be involved in any aspect of my daily life is never something I want to do. What starts as a good idea soon becomes a totally out of control bad idea, with the intent lost in the regulations/rules/ and overall poor administration – following closely by rising cost to correct all the failings that never get corrected. Until we have a government that follows what the people want and does the right things instead of what the pandering PACs and lobbyist’s are paying them to do the dysfunction will only continue.

Today we have far too many celebrating constitutional failure as successful leadership.

29. stephen m says

Sears customer service and government common sense are a thing of the past, R.I.P. I would be glad to own the 2015 proof AGE. Last one in my grasp was a 2001 4-pice set and a 2002 $50. Will the metals tumble more, time will tell.

30. CasualCollector says

OT: Has anyone who ordered the First Spouse 4-Medal Bronze Sets in February seen any activity on those orders (credit cards pinged or order-status changed)?

I thought they had an expected ship-date of 3/10 or 3/12? I placed my order back on 2/10/2015 and it is still “Backordered” (with no activityon my credit card).

31. Blair J. Tobler says

@CasualCollector – no, I haven’t had any action on my order placed the same day. I can’t remember exactly what date it had said, but I know it wasn’t any later than today, and still no word.

32. CasualCollector says

@Blair J. Tobler
    Thank you for the reply. I’m just wondering if the new quantity was a case of “found some boxes that were misplaced” or they actually minted new sets (can they mint 2014 medals in 2015? ). Either way, I wonder what is causing the delay???

33. Blair J. Tobler says

@CasualCollector – Who knows? Surely it can’t be packaging delays again!

I don’t think they have the same year restrictions the coins do (especially since they aren’t date), but I don’t know that for a fact. Maybe a lot of people complained and they decided to mint some more. Unfortunately, they aren’t big on keeping us informed these days.

34. Goat says

Heads up got my puck today. Looks like spray spots on obverse and takes up about half of the face. WOW take a sick day don’t sneeze on the goods. Anybody know what these spots are, will they go away. Buy PM’s ? Thanks