Tomorrow March 24, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2015 Proof Set. Although sales levels have declined in recent years, this remains one of the Mint’s top selling products by unit volume.
The 2015 United States Mint Proof Set includes a total of 14 different proof quality coins struck at the San Francisco Mint and carrying the “S” mint mark. Each set includes the following coins in their standard compositions:
- 2015-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2015-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2015-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2015-S Proof Homestead National Monument of America Quarter
- 2015-S Proof Kisatchie National Forest Quarter
- 2015-S Proof Blue Ridge Parkway Quarter
- 2015-S Proof Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge Quarter
- 2015-S Proof Saratoga National Historical Park Quarter
- 2015-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Dollar
- 2015-S Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Native American Dollar
The coins of the set are packaged into three protective plastic lenses and placed within an outer carton containing an image of the Washington Monument at sunrise. The back of the carton contains images of each park or site featured on the quarters, a portrait of each President on the $1 coins, and partial images of the remaining coins. A certificate of authenticity is included.
The 2015 Proof Set is priced at $32.95 per set, representing an increase of $1 from the standard price of the prior year set. The prior year set was eligible for a discounted price of $28.75 per set if ordered through the US Mint’s online subscription program. The subscription discount has since been discontinued.
There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits imposed.
It is interesting to note that 13 out of the 14 proof coins included in the 2015 Proof Set have already been released by the United States Mint within other products. The proof cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar (as well as two quarters) were available from January 13 within the 2015 Birth and Happy Birthday Sets. All five proof quarters were available from February 3 within the 2015 America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set. Four of the proof $1 coins were available from March 10 within the Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set. The only coin available for the first time is the 2015-S Proof Native American Dollar.
As mentioned, the United States Mint’s annual proof set has experienced a steady decline from its peak popularity in the 1970’s and 1980’s. After reaching a 50 year low with the 2012 Proof Set at last reported sales of 794,002 units, the product showed some signs of stabilization. The offering of the 2013 Proof Set concluded with sales slightly higher at 802,460. However, the 2014 Proof Set has current sales of 692,881 units and seems to be on pace to undercut the 2012 low.