Today, May 14, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2015 Silver Proof Set. This 14-coin set includes seven coins struck in a special composition of 90% silver.
Each 2015 Silver Proof Set includes the following proof coins struck at the San Francisco Mint and carrying the “S” mint mark:
- 2015-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2015-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2015-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2015-S Proof America the Beautiful Quarters – featuring Homestead National Monument of America, Kisatchie National Forest, Blue Ridge Parkway, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, and Saratoga National Historical Park
- 2015-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Native American Dollar
- 2015-S Proof Presidential Dollars – featuring Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon B. Johnson
The dime, five quarters, and half dollar are each struck in a special composition of 90% silver and 10% copper. The remaining coins are struck in their standard copper-nickel compositions.
This represents the first availability of the 90% silver 2015-S Proof Roosevelt Dime and the 90% silver 2015-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar. The other coins included in the set have been incorporated into various other annual sets or products released previously.
The 2015 Silver Proof Set is priced at $53.95, unchanged from the regular price of the prior year set. The 2014-dated set was available for a discounted price of $48.55 under the US Mint’s Online Subscription Program. The subscription discount offer has since been discontinued.
The US Mint has not indicated a product limit and there are no household ordering limits in place.
In recent years, the annual silver proof set has seen historically low sales levels, although the previous pattern of declines seems to have ended. The 2012 Silver Proof Set sold out with last reported sales of 395,443 units, more than 30% below the prior year level and establishing a new low for the product offering. The 2013 Silver Proof Set sold out with last reported sales of 419,721. Last year’s 2014 Silver Proof Set still remains available and has last reported sales of 420,062 units.