2015-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle

Today, March 26, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will start accepting orders for the 2015-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle. This represents a collectible uncirculated version of the popular bullion coin.

The US Mint introduced the collectible uncirculated or “burnished” version of the Silver Eagle in 2006. That year the coins were first incorporated into the 20th Anniversary Set and subsequently offered individually. For the following two years, the coins were offered individually as well as within the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. The offering was canceled in 2009 and 2010, but made a return in 2011 as an individual offering as well as within the 25th Anniversary Set. From 2012 onwards, the coins have been offered individually as well as within the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.

2015-W Silver Eagle

The 2015-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle carries Adolph A. Weinman’s iconic design featuring a full length depiction of Lady Liberty with one hand outstretched and the other carrying branches of oak and laurel. She walks confidently forward towards the rising sun. The reverse design by John Mercanti features a heraldic eagle with a shield at its chest and an olive branch and bundle of arrows in its talons.

Each coin is struck in .999 fine silver with a weight of 1.0000 troy ounces and diameter of 40.60 mm.

The coins are offered for sale individually, packaged in a blue velvet, satin-lined presentation case and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. There are no mintage or household ordering limits established.

The price of the offering is $39.95. This compares to regular pricing of $43.95 for the prior year offering, although the coins were also available at the discounted price of $39.55 if ordered through the US Mint’s online subscription program. The subscription program discount is no longer available.

The annual sales level for the collectible uncirculated Silver Eagle seems to be bouncing back after hitting a low of 221,981 for the 2013-W issue (broken down between 178,941 individual sales and 43,040 through the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. The 2014-W issue reached individual sales of 224,532 at the time of sell out and the 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set has reached sales of 26,336 units according to this week’s sales report. Across both options, this makes for 250,868 pieces and climbing since the set option still remains available for sale.

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

I do prefer these over the proofs just because of the lower mintage but will wait for unc set.2014 bronze sets are here on Monday anyone get theirs yet and look them over I know these are sometimes rough looking but do they seem worse than that ? Like they are the rejects from the first buyout? Also opened a roll of my die-break Homestead D mints and found a new type in with the others also took a count of all the other types in a roll but seem to have misplaced the #s .But will post it sometime after a recount if anyone is interested at what you get in a average roll of die-breaks? Good Luck All:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

2. KC says

Just found out JFK gold coin disappears from USMINT website. Got three before they closed out. They are beautiful. Wish I could get more of them.

3. I started collecting yesterday says

I like Silver Eagles, especially the proof versions. This is the kind of American artwork that I really enjoy and it has a good representation of Lady Liberty. Speaking of Lady Liberty, I found the below article by Louis Golino very interesting and well written. In his discussion of representations of Lady Liberty in high relief designs for 2015, Golino wrote “Many collectors see that as a politically correct agenda. But Liberty is not a static concept, and since it or she has never been depicted as anything other than a Caucasian woman, perhaps it is that version of Liberty that is actually politically correct.” I believe Golino’s statement to be true: the politically correct version is the White woman that we’ve always seen. Anything other than the force-fed and traditional view of Liberty is considered politically in-correct. So when my friends here start going off on political correctness, I hope they will keep this proper understanding of “politically correct” in mind. Thank you Mr. Golino for writing about this.

Until the US Mint can solve the problem of milk spots showing up on these numismatic versions in one or two years after minting, they are off of my list.

5. MarkInFlorida says

I would like to see a listing of issue prices of items like this (unc + proof, silver + gold) compared to current values. I notice Numismatic News lists issue price and current value for proof sets, and it’s a real eye-opener to see that sets issued for $13 are now worth $4. But I wonder if anyone has done such lists for silver and gold coins.

I started collecting yesterday~ I read his article too. In defense of the other commenters who have expressed their opinions here over the last few years, I can say that there is for the most part an anti-PC sentiment that persists. Of course we read a posts now and then which may be short sighted, but these guys and a few gals here are really a pretty good group of people. I read not long ago here that a Greek looking Liberty is well suited for the rendition of liberty..she was for the Morgan silver dollar. That wasn’t the case for the Saint Gaudens gold coin female figure on the obverse who coincidentally was a black model, that doesn’t seem to bother anyone today.

7. I started collecting yesterday says

Dustyroads, I did not know the Saint Gaudens gold coin female figure on the obverse was based on a Black model. Now that’s an interesting piece of American history. Thanks.

8. Eagle One says

11 2006-P Rev Proof 250,000
    12 2014-W Burnished 250,868
    13 2011-W Burnished 409,766
    14 2006-W Burnished 466,573
    15 2008-W Burnished 533,757
    16 2007-W Burnished 621,333

Thanks for the kind words on my article. I was mainly just trying to stimulate debate.

Also, the Greek connection is imp. A lot of Americans think Lady Liberty is uniquely American, but in fact it is a concept rooted in the original democracy of ancient Greece, and many other countries have their own versions such as Britannia, Germania, and others.

Are any of you going to the Baltimore Expo tomorrow? If you go, look for me in the afternoon. You can recognize me from the photo in the article.

12. A Bob says

When I was in New York, I made it a point to see this Saint Gaudins sculpture. It is amazing.

13. AZ Dan says

I’ve been staying away from the Proof versions and just concentrating on the UNC’s instead. Back in the mid 90’s there was a guy on TV named Buddy Pardue and he always said that if it’s a choice between the UNC and the Proof to go for the UNC as they are often minted in lower quantities and generally worth more than the proofs in the long run. I also collect the regular bullion version of these coins as well. I’ll get the Proof on the silver but not on the gold or platinum. Still hoping the Mint will renew the 1/2 oz platinum version of the eagles.

14. Larry says

@ AZ Dan, The only problem is the proofs look so much better to me. If I was in this just for the money, you are probably right, just go for the unc’s. But I buy what I like, so I will stick with the proofs.

15. David says

Are these 2015 W’s burnished? I am trying to justify the premium as it’s much more than what the silver spot price is.

16. Teach says

I picked up one today, along with the proof ASE and the latest P puck. Next mint purchase will be the MoD special set and the next P puck. All good stuff!

Eddie says
    MARCH 26, 2015 AT 3:50 PM

Regarding the 2014 LESPS what did the mint do to improve the packaging of the set?

I second that?

@David – if you are looking for bullion you can get it near spot many places. These are considered collectors coins…

19. gary says

So many world mints are banging out 1 oz. silver bullion coins and going at prices WAY below what the U.S. Mint is charging for their ASE. The U.S. Mint makes thousands more of the ASE coins so you would perhaps think that they could still make a good profit at a $27.50 to $30 for the burnished or proof.

@gary: That is why I have zero modern ASE bullion coins….I COLLECT coins, not the other way around…

With that said, there are some bullion ASE’s with value, not many but they are out there…

22. kc says

I have many ASE proof, then I realized ASE and ATB bullions are equally beautiful as the proof. But they are only $3 and $5 above spot. Some people are hoarding bullions for black swan events, such as planet X, russia/iran starting wwIII, or china collapsing. I like modern coin, proof or bullion.

whatajoke~ If I’m correct, that’s your second reference to the Babylonian chief goddess Ishtar. Our culture is much different than what theirs was then. Uses of images was common in the day. If we ever become image worshipers, she would be the one. However, she is viewed as a symbol , not as a graven image. Her likeness has been borrowed to represent freedom and liberty, not to be worshiped. I doubt we are about to begin living Greek Mythology.

24. kc says

Dustyroads- Then you need to ask why our modern culture still believes gold and silver have intrinsic values.

25. Sith says

@Kc – Hopefully we are not going through this intrinsic values thing again, but I’m curious are you saying we have to believe in Greek\Babylonian Gods to believe that gold and silver have intrinsic values?

26. KC says

@Sith- I just try to continue the blog 🙂 Wonder what you think about Mayan mined and produced gold for?

27. Sith says

Not sure about the Mayan but the Incas called it “Tears of the sun,” and their reverence of gold has much to do with their worship of the sun god, Inti. But your losing me…if that was the only reason gold was precious it would have gone the way of quetzal bird’s tail feathers, which the Mayans used as currency and were sacred, and the same can be said of Wampum.

The main reason gold was precious in ancient civilizations was “Gold (and silver) was used for ornaments and decorations because of its sun-like reflective quality, malleability, ductility, and its resistance to corrosion and most other chemical reactions…just look at how much gold people have as jewelery

28. Sith says

@KC – Going back to an old argument, gold only has intrinsic value because it takes effort to produce, the rest of the value is very subjective, but then isn’t everything. I consider gold to be the greatest fiat currency ever, but saying that until something superior comes along I will take gold over paper. Now silver is another matter, which is why I prefer silver over gold.

29. Jerry Diekmann says

kc – it’s just supply and demand. People like objects that are beautiful and if they are also rare then they will pay to obtain these objects. This has been going on for thousands of years. Silver and gold are rare and people will pay “money” to obtain them. Gold is rarer than silver, so people will pay more for gold than they will for silver. People also pay extra money for platinum because it is rare, not because it is especially beautiful – it looks like a lot of cheaper metals, like nickel, chromium, etc. Copper is a very pretty metal, but it is more common than many other metals, so it is worth less – people won’t pay the same for brass as they will for gold. Same thing for diamonds, emeralds, and rubies. That’s why they cost a lot more than a similar size of quartz. Just the law of . supply and demand

However, all the gold ever mined in the history of the world still exists, whereas silver gets used up in all kinds of applications, and the day will come when there is less silver than gold left. Also, there are many metals that are much rarer than either of them or platinum.

31. Sith says

@Louis – I could not say it better, what I find funny is a few years back everyone was talking about China’s monopoly on rare earth elements, and how vital they were…yet silver has more (vital?)uses and it is rarer than any of them.

32. Sith says

@Louis – I don’t think silver will ever overtake gold as being rarer because of recycling…at a certain price point people will take vacations and go pan for gold, homeless people recycle aluminum, and everyone has heard of crack heads pulling copper wires from abandoned homes when it was worth their while, of course at what price point does it become economically feasible to go dumpster diving for old broken iPads is another question.

33. Jerry Diekmann says

The “rare earths” are a lot more common than say, lead, copper, nickel, zinc, mercury, bismuth, and of course, silver and gold. Did anyone know that titanium is the 9th most common element on earth? It would make an interesting coinage metal – heavier than aluminum, but lighter than most other elements. And like aluminum, it is used in aircraft, and like aluminum, it doesn’t rust. End of chemistry lesson.

34. stephen m says

Silver and gold are the metals I’ve grown up to know. While there may be other more valuable metals can they be more beautiful than the silver and gold. My enrollment for the W ASE this morning says processing. I’m more partial to the proofs but get the W too.

35. whatajoke says

@Louis- All the gold ever mined is still sitting in someone’s vault I believe, but silver has been trashed for the last 50 yrs and is sitting in our landfills and dumps in minute amounts. But it is still there although very expensive to get to and I think that was the plan all along because only the big buck conglomerates will have access to it . America started out with a silver standard as money because it was the money of the common man and it still is today and that’s why I love it. it’s the only real money people like me can get, so I buy as much as possible while it’s still available. And to tell the truth I don’t care whose picture is on a coin because I have a torch and it really is just the metal that actually counts.

And Happy Ishtar (Easter) to all you pagan sun worshipers out there.

I missed when silver was the standard? When exactly did they establish silver as the backing of American currency?

37. Sith says

@Louis – Absolutely, as indicated at what cost point is it economical to go dumpster diving for silver

@thePhelps – The Coinage Act of 1792 – This act established the silver dollar as the unit of money in the United States, declared it to be lawful tender, and created a decimal system for U.S. currency. The Act also defined the proportional value of gold and silver as 15 units of pure silver to 1 unit of pure gold. Section 19 of the Act established a penalty of death for debasing the gold or silver coins authorized by the Act.

38. Sith says

@thePhelps –

The United States adopted a silver standard based on the “Spanish milled dollar” in 1785. This was codified in the 1792 Mint and Coinage Act.

In 1900, with the passage of the Gold Standard Act, the dollar then consisting of twenty-five and eight-tenths grains (1.67 g) of gold nine-tenths fine, thus the United States moved to a gold standard, making both gold and silver the legal-tender coinage of the United States, and guaranteed the dollar as convertible to 1.5 g (23.22 grains) of gold

39. Dave says

This is for Keither, what is a die break roll? You said you did a die real roll on the new quarters I think you said?
    Is a roll die break a special product or just searching regular rolls of the product?
    Thanks

40. Dave says

Hey K.C. I just bought 3 PCGS 70’s with all the OGP and special label from Chicago? For $1100 each, and yes I agree they are beautiful coins!

@Sith – thanks. I’m still not certain I would call it a standard more than a unit of currency – but to each their own.

42. KEITHSTER says

@Dave yes the die-break rolls of which I speak were all gotten from two branches of the same bank in the upper-Midwest. I have gotten 27 of the uncirculated rolls of the Denver Mint Homestead quarters after having found the die-breaks and die-break combo’s.There seems to be many types a single a chip and die-break a double chip and die-break combo. And some new ones that are more rare I call them shits on a shingle because it looks like someone took a dump on the top right side of the roof of the house! Have only found two so far with the triple log so to speak three little balls all connected each was found in different rolls. The roll I was talking about was a random roll just to test it 7 were showing no die-break 12 had the single break to the right17 had a double die break one on each side of the roof 2 with other combos 1 with the triple turd and a new one with just a single poo the rarest of all so far will have to test another roll and let you know the #’s Good Luck Finding Some:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

43. Billy the Kid says

Gold over silver…yes.

Gold coins take up less room in my “bank security box”.

Billy the Kid

44. Sith says

@thePhelps – Per definition a silver standard is a monetary system in which the standard economic unit of account is a fixed weight of silver. The dollar was originally defined as a unit of silver with gold being pegged to that unit. In 1900 the the dollar was changed to be based on a fixed quantity of gold. Maybe it is just semantics as the US was trying to use a bimetallic standard but…I agree with “whatajoke” the gold standard favored the bankers, while “the silver standard” favored the common person, and we all know who won that fight. It is a lot easier to control the money supply on a gold standard, especially when you make it illegal for citizens to own it in monetary form.

Jerry Diekmann~ Titanium is used where light, strong metals are needed. I don’t recall ever seeing a pressed titanium piece, just machined. I wonder if the metal would have flow problems if used for coins or metals.

46. Billy the Kid says

Perhaps it is time to bring back Silver certificates and Gold notes…

Let’s make the Treasury accountable to the their citizens.

Billy

47. Sith says

@thePhelps

Oh and as a FYI The pound sterling is the world’s oldest currency still in use and which has been in continuous usage since its inception. As the name suggests it originally was equivalent to one pound weight of sterling silver… 🙂

48. Jerry Diekmann says

Dustyroads – you may be right about titanium and how the metal may flow when under tremedous pressure like in a coinage press. I don’t really know. I do know that aluminum and its alloys have made serviceable coins for other countries. It may not be used in the USA because its lightness might connote cheapness to some people. Aluminum is used in some Euro coins and is widely accepted. Even though it costs less than other metals, if it were used for the lowly cent, its cost to obtain, mint, and distribute might still be more than one cent, which should put the nail in the coffin for minting any more cents.

49. Jerry Diekmann says

Thanks, Gary. Maybe using titanium would resullt in an unacceptable number of coins with die breaks or other problems. When the Shield nickels were first introduced in 1866, they were made out of 25% nickel and 75% copper (the same composition still used today), and the coins suffered numerous die breaks because the nickel metal was harder than the dies. I am not an expert on Shield nickels, but based on my experience I would say a high percentage of the coins exhibit die cracks, By the time the Liberty nickels were first issued in 1883, the Mint seemed to have solved the problem, as you see very few die cracks on Liberty nickels. Maybe the opposite would occur with titanium – the dies would be too hard for the metal, and maybe it wouldn’t flow right, as Dusty had inferred. That might explain why this common metal that doesn’t rust is rarely used in coinage.

50. deacono says

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Love the burnished. I have all burnished eagles except for two years and none so far have produced milk spots. I have had worse luck with milk spots on Comms than the silver eagles. burnished and proof are Great and timeless coins.

Cag, Clark, Dusty, Goldfishin, FM, Harry B, Louis, Pitt (if you’re out there), thePhelps. VA Bob, VABB, VA BeachEd, VABeachSteve (among others and you know who you are) –

I wanted to tie off you guys – besides chasing my tail traveling for work recently, I had a Director level opportunity present itself and I sold my soul! I’ll be taking an extended hiatus and become one of those ‘lurkers’ until time permits, like next year or sometime.

I wanted to pass along that you guys have been GREAT! You’ve taught me so much about the hobby, kept it interesting out here with the Off Topics comments, and swayed me from making a lot of mistakes over the past 3-4 years AND I do so appreciate it! I have also really enjoyed the camaraderie and the LMAO humor that some of you threw out here, MNB can be great therapy for the soul (and coin collecting). 🙂

You guys have a good thing going out here on the blog, until I’m able to join back in and contribute, all the best in health and in acquiring gold coins, silver coins, & Circus coins Gentlemen ~

MNB – thanks for making this blog forum available, as always it’s been First-Class!

Stack On!

52. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, Good for you. You’re one of the Good Guys on the Blog and I will miss your Insight. I’ve got your email address and will from Time to Time email you with some Potential Opportunities…

Take care Rich and shoot me an email so I have your addy, it got deleted somehow…F

54. Dave SW FL says

KC&SO

Hope it is an enjoyable adventure – I am sure you will bring honesty and integrity to your directorship and that which you represent.
    And thanks for YOUR contributions to MNB!!

KCSO…you know you’ll be back – there is so much to look forward to NEXT year… congratulations on the new position!

56. ti. says

Can anyone confirm the rumor that the mint is sneaking in another EU product late this year unannounced like in 2014 coin and currency?

57. Dave SW FL says

Interesting discussion with mint CS today. First, she GUARANTEES that the proof US Marshal silver dollar is not sold out and then proceeds to tell me that she was not aware that the mint uses UPS delivery service !!! REALLY?
    She cannot explain why part 1 of my order was held with post card notification of pick up availability and part 2 was sent back with no pick up availability.
    Further, she was not aware that CS could order UPS to hold a package for pick up.

They really need to do a better job training their employees.

On another note, my Unc U S Marshal SD came with really ugly spotting from the rim half way down the letters “ERTY” in LIBERTY. It goes back with a replacement request. That is a choice on the packing slip return info, but will that happen? I thought there were no more replacements but only refunds with the requirement that you reorder. Sure wish they could make up their minds. I will let everyone know if I get a replacement – I am not holding my breath. Has anybody received a replacement ?

Completely OT. Anyone notice the huge drop in palladium on Friday? Hope that does not portend things to come in gold & silver?

58. David says

Collector coin or not, paying such a hefty premium just because of the W mint mark is asinine.

Dave – feel free to buy bullion. The mint has been making millions for stackers like you. There will end up being about 250,000 of these. Try finding one cheaper than the mint is selling them.

60. CasualCollector says

@Dave SW FL
    Even though the return slip lists “Replacement” as an option, I have yet to actually receive a replacement (tried it 3 times). They have been pretty good at issuing a refund pretty quickly after receiving the return package — so I can’t complain. I guess if you are returning it, just make sure you can re-order if you want the same product (i.e. item is not SOLD OUT).

61. CasualCollector says

OT: Regarding the Mint using Fedex Smartpost. I’ve seen lots of comments that it is too slow. I’m wondering if I am the only one who has been lucky with Fedex Smartpost? Items seem to come in about a week from the shipped date, and I like that I can get an item on a Saturday (because the local USPS delivers the last part of the shipping route). I haven’t had anything go longer than about a week (i.e. I’ve always tracked shipments using the Fedex App and usually get it on schedule…)

62. GoldFishin says

@VA Rich..aka KCSO- I am going to miss your enthusiastic posts and informative theorizing. You are truly one of the good guys and I hope you can find time to post every now and then. Every time my son and I watch the “Walking Dead” now I always think of your comments about Maggie and the diamonds and think to myself that if I were in the same zombie apocalypse I would want to be surrounded by folks like you. Take that as no higher a compliment! Congrats on your new position!! Keep stacking those gold coins, silver coins, and circus coins! 😉

KCSO~
    -There will be but one end your entire life, the rest of the time will be full of opportunities.

64. Sith says

@CasualCollector – Nope I like FedEx, & USPS, all my delays and problems have been with UPS. I cringe when I see that the mint has done me the favor and updated my shipping to UPS, because of all the delays\issues I have had with them.

65. Clark says

KCSO–I’ll miss the youthful optimism and energy you brought to this forum. All the best to you, brother.

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Theodor Seuss Geisel

66. Clark says

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Theodor Seuss Geisel

HSN guy about his gold plated P and D quarters, “the box is this, these plastic coin holders are this, I am ONLY going to leave this up for sale because I can Only afford to lose so much.” tisk,tisk man. How do you sleep at at night and how wihow will you explain to your children what you do..

D Rittenhouse, please learn to just take the high road and stay silent if you don’t have anything nice to say. It makes YOU look bad, no one else.

69. Ends in Error says

People like the HSN Guy used to be called Snake Oil salesmen. They sold some crap, probably Cocaine extract that supposedly cured everything under the sun. Well HSN sells garbage that they claim will make everyone rich. The only ones getting rich are the HSN people.

Oh well, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. If HSN doesn’t get the fools money, someone else will. Plenty of scams and scam artists are out there.

Larry says
    MARCH 29, 2015 AT 11:47 AM

HSN guy will be buried in a red oak presentation case.

love it!

Ends in Error says
    MARCH 29, 2015 AT 12:42 PM

Agreed, buyer beware ALWAYS! I just feel bad for the folks that may not be online and have access to knowledge which is what these TV coin shows cater to. Poor person was almost tricked into paying $2k for a commem from 93 just because it had been slabbed? cmon…Anyone soon learns that after a certain time the mint ONLY produces 69 and 70 in PF or now EA condition…In fact, one TV show host said it may be worth more as a 68!

72. MikeinPa says

fm, i agree, these guys are nothing more than modern day carnival barkers tring to seperate the dupes from their hard earned cash

“Larry says
    March 29, 2015 at 11:47 am
    HSN guy will be buried in a red oak presentation case.”

Let’s hope his family overpays for this presentation case – like all the naive people he sales to pay for his.

74. The Real "Cool" Dave says

PATHETIC!

Received my 2014 First Spouse Medal sets. Looks like the whoever packed them for shipping grabbed 20 of them with 2 hands, plopped them down in the box, put 2 pieces of that worthless brown packaging, taped and shipped.

When I opened the box, some medals (in cello) were out of their envelope (Mint envelopes); they (envelopes) were not in any other protective packaging. Some of the envelops were damaged/torn. What medals I did look at, I am not sure about — I will look closer later. I am wondering if these were re-shipped “seconds?”

Suffice it to say anything going back — shipping will be paid for by the Mint, I will be calling for an RM label. I am really to my wits end with the Mint. I have received auto parts by mail, packaged more carefully than this!! It as though the shipping company/Mint does NOT seem to understand what they are shipping here!!!!!

What’s it going to take to get through to these “numb-nuts!”

Thanks guys for the kind words, it means A LOT! 🙂 And yes, next year will be the big one not to miss and I hope I have my head above water by then.., until then, I’d like to blow a kiss out to a very “special” friend, anyone have a emoticon of blowing a kiss? I’d like to send it up North where the sun don’t shine 😆

GF – enjoy the time with your son. I think tonight in the season finale, so I’ll be glued to the TV for a double dose of Maggie, they should put her on the HR! Prov released the next Zeek design – Trade $, looks sharp!

Buy up the winner’s for me guys…, peace out!

Same here…after waiting over 6 weeks for the 2014 First Spouse Bronze Medal Sets more than 75% of the sets packaging material was damaged with bent /ripped envelopes. The medals them self where all loose in the box and the box was just to big.
    It’s a shame that they would ship them the way they did.

It’s unacceptable!!!

Very dissatisfied !!!I’m going to return them all!!!

Someone in the shipping department is trying to send a message. They are not very happy with their job. Maybe a ten year old helping a parent after school? Not sure as it is a CONTRACTOR…Mint won’t comment, NO Director!

@CF: Sounds like this will be the 10th return for those medals, and they will go right back out to whomever is next in line in back-order status…

80. Ralph says

The Real “Cool” Dave & CF:

Same here also. I have commented on this on here before. Unreal! My boxes were the same. One had 20 set’s in it. They dumped them into an over-sized box with 2 lousy pieces of packing paper. During shipping they all smashed into each other. Most of the flimsy envelopes they pack the medals in were damaged. There were over 100 loose medals on the bottom o f the box.
    I have had $20 socks from LL Bean packed with more care.
    Totally disgusting! Only word I can probably post on here without getting banned!

Guys… the mint shipping department appears to be nothing more than a box and drop process. There is no “thought” that they are actually supposed to pack for safe shipping anymore.

As far as the assumption that your receiving returns – keep in mind the initial sales for the Spouse coins was only around 2,000 units… I doubt they are getting that many returns to reship. It sounds more like poor production issues.

82. Ralph says

thePhelps:

Agreed! I don’t think they are returns. If they were it wouldn’t have taken 6 weeks to ship them out.

Giving just a little credit, but believe me, not very much, these set’s are doomed from the start. 4 good sized heavy medals put into a very flimsy envelope is a bad design. There is no way to stack these without them crashing and falling over with the medals spilling out all over the place. These 4 medals need a better, more secure package. At least they could put the medals inside the folded inset card and then put it in with the folded edge at the top. This might contain the medals in the envelope a little better. Now the folded edge is upside down with the medals slid in.

Yeah, my medal sets arrived in similar fashion, with some of the medals loose in the box and some envelope flaps worse for wear. It took a few minutes to get them all re-sorted back into sets and placed back in the empty envelopes. At least there were no errors in my box as far as duplicates of some medals and none of others. The way these sets are packed seems to beg for such mistakes. It looks like these sets might be assembled by hand at the distribution center.

Do you guys think these will recover any value after this new supply dries up, or has that ship already sailed? I’m just wondering if they should be dumped for the current depressed prices or if the gamble of waiting a few weeks might pan out. I don’t ever see these getting back to the insane level they were at before the “second wave”, but was hoping to do better than the present price level. Heck, you can barely make $10 a set by the time you pay all the fees and postage!

84. D Rittenhouse says

@thePhelps,
    Pretty sure people are complaining about their bronze First Spouse medals and nobody can say how many have been sold — the Mint doesn’t report sales of its junk bronze products.l

85. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@fmtransmitter says, March 29, 2015 at 7:21 pm
    “I am not happy you all are receiving crap product but if it was meant for flipping them, I am kinda smirkish about it. Again, nothing personal…”

Nothing personal either, when I say who gives a damn about what flippers do or not do — why should we care? Really?

86. Tinto says

fmtransmitter

That HSN guy was selling 1 oz slver bar bullion for almost 28 bucks and 10 oz version at almost 280 bucks apiece …. I think it was stamped with a walking Liberty design can’t remember since I switched channels almost right away … but over 10 bucks above spot price .. and it was a no name brand … I’ve heard of Sunshine Mint, Johnson Matthey,Engelhard, PAMP etc. but no mention of who the manufacturer is … why pay so high a premium for a no name manufacturer … unless you’re a sucker .

AND I saw this HSN guy on another TV coin show on ….. CSNTV and on their website the same bullion design is being offered for $21.95 an ounce and a differently designed 10oz for 219.50

Sooo glad I never got into the habit of ordering from TV shows …

I Don’t buy the gold FS so i did assemble a collection of the bronze amd they stay nice and perfect in a dansco album and display quite nice, almost like looking at gold versions. It was mentioned before here i was losing value for dping this. I lost value the minute i bought them and the expensive album. That isn’t why i collect the bronze set. But we still have not figured out why they went up in value on secondary in the first place. Guess folks thought they were low mintage. U want anything low mintage, stay with the gold version, they are by far the lowest mintage of any US Mint product. Good luck all.

Ten dollars over spot is sad and then u have shipping and tax. Local shops will do better and 99% of online dealers fot bullion…@Tinto

Agreed cool Dave, seems most i have met here just d. It in order to supplement buying another item amd lowering the premium as much as possible. I haven’t got the time to sell but see myself doing that as well eventually. ..

I was just at a store and the cashier had brand new Mt. Rushmore quarters out the roll. I asked if i could buy all he had, he gave like five dollars worth all nice ans shiny. Gem BU. Gonna stash em away. Love that design.

91. The Real "Cool" Dave says

“Mt. Rushmore quarters ,” Yeah, I really liked that design too and also bought a few S.F. rolls. 🙂

92. Clark says

The unanswered question is why the Mint produced so few 2014 first spouse bronze medals in the first place and then quickly ran out? Now the 2013 FS medal sets now command a premium and were unlikely to see the 2014 fs medal sets return to previously high prices.

This situation is a cautionary reminder that the Mint may crank out medals anytime it wishes, even years after the originals were introduced, as is regularly done with presidential medals. As fm rightly noted, stick with coins if you want a chance to see values increase. Medals are tokens, not coins with unique and mostly limited production runs. I collect–and really like–some medals series (spouse and code talkers) to augment the story of my overall collection and not necessarily its dollar value.

93. jeff says

When items go from the mint to a third party fulfillment center stacked, racked, cracked moved more times than one could imagine then repackaged treated like sh*t during transportation to 1 America drive in your home town. Like I’ve said in the past I don’t buy this crap from the mint Ebay they have more stringent rules and the customer is always right But if I did speak on the mints behalf we thank you idiots for your supporting our excessively over priced products day in and day out peace out suckers

@Clark: I would suggest they were misplaced in transit to new facility and just took them awhile to find them….Lots of inventory to go through and catalog..

The Real “Cool” Dave says
    MARCH 30, 2015 AT 12:56 AM

Yes, I went so far as to have my S rolls stamped twice by the USPS and paid a premium for them. I got the DC stamp from day of release, then the PO near the quarter launch and the flyer from the event. That is a near and dear part of my collection, clad or not, goes well with my 5 ounce bullion and P Minted Rushmore…Those are specail coins IMO and the World even said so by awarding this design an award at the COTY..