2014 US Mint Circulating Coin Production Exceeds 13 Billion

evergladesThe latest updated figures show that the United States Mint struck more than 13 billion circulating coins in 2014. This now represents the fifth consecutive year of growth after circulating coin production bottomed in 2009.

For the month of December, production totaled 878.76 million pieces and was confined to just three denominations. The monthly total was up sharply compared to the year ago period of December 2013 when production was only 285.96 million pieces.

The table below includes the latest production figures broken down by denomination and mint facility for the latest month and the full year.

2014 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 2.50 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 5.60 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 3.08 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 15.26 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 19.88 M
Total 878.76 M 13,283.76 M

As mentioned, production for the month was limited to three denominations, cents, nickels, and dimes. The cent accounted for 72.4% of all production with 636.40 million pieces struck. This was followed by the dime with production of 199 million pieces and the nickel at 43.36 million.

Full year production for 2014 reached 13.28 billion pieces. This was up by 11.5% compared to the full year total for 2013 of 11.91 billion pieces. Looking further back full year circulating production levels reached 9.34 billion in 2012, 8.20 billion in 2011, 6.37 billion in 2010, and 3.55 billion in 2009.

The following table takes a look at the 2014 circulating coin production totals by denomination compared to the prior year.

2014 vs 2013 US Mint Circulating Coin Production
Full Year 2014 Full Year 2013 Change
Cents 8,146.40 M 7,070.00 M 15.22%
Nickels 1,206.24 M 1,223.04 M -1.37%
Dimes 2,302.50 M 2,112.00 M 9.01%
Quarters 1,580.20 M 1,455.20 M 8.59%
Half Dollars 4.60 M 9.60 M -52.08%
Native Am Dollars 8.68 M 3.64 M 138.46%
Pres Dollars 35.14 M 33.46 M 5.02%
Total 13,283.76 M 11,906.94 M 11.56%

As can be seen, there was growth in production for the cent, dime, and quarter, with a small decline in production for the nickel.

There were larger swings in production for the half dollar and Native American Dollar. In late 2013, the US Mint struck an extra production run of 6 million half dollars in response to an order from the Federal Reserve, which was subsequently canceled. This resulted in the unusually high half dollar production in 2013. For an unknown reason, Native American Dollar production was unusually low in 2013 and rebounded to normal levels in 2014.

Overall Presidential Dollar production was up modestly from the prior year. Production levels may see some larger moves upwards in the coming years as the recent Presidents are honored.

The final table below shows production totals by design for the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters and 2014 Presidential Dollars. There have been no changes or additions to these figures since last month.

2014 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Great Smoky Mountains 99.40 M 73.20 M 172.60 M
Shenandoah 197.80 M 112.80 M 310.60 M
Arches 251.40 M 214.20 M 465.60 M
Great Sand Dunes 171.80 M 159.60 M 331.40 M
Everglades 142.40 M 157.60 M 300.00 M
Warren G. Harding 3.78 M 6.16 M 9.94 M
Calvin Coolidge 3.78 M 4.48 M 8.26 M
Herbert Hoover 3.78 M 4.48 M 8.26 M
Franklin D. Roosevelt 3.92 M 4.76 M 8.68 M

1. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Guess that puts another day into the books. Time to sign off now with the National Anthem and then either a long (TV) “beeeeeeeeeeeeee” sound or white noise . . . then disembodied voices talking in that noise.

Good Night all !

Mr. “Cool” Dave 🙂

I was checking to see if any there have been any Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse uncertified gold proof coins that sold recently on eBay. I saw none. The eBay auctions that the sellers posted recently were closed without sales. It makes me wonder if these sellers who intended to flip their coins for a quick profit may have returned them to the US Mint for a refund within the 7-day window period. If so, those who missed out on buying the proof coin should have a chance to own one (or more).

Bottom line: keep checking USMint.com for the availability of the Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse gold proof coin. They may re-appear when you least expect it…..

3. Rick says

As I said, I returned all three er proof coins of mine. A friend of mine returned at least 6 more. Under 10 x loupe, these look 69 or 68.

4. Larry says

A quick look at sold listings on the bay shows the C&C set is now up to right around $40.00 in OGP! Hard to believe the best investment coin from the mint for 2014 is a Sacawagea that came out of nowhere! A 280% increase ain’t bad.

@Larry – it’s clear that as the available secondary market supply declines, buyers are willing to pay more for the enhanced uncirculated coin. How far the price increases will depend on how much buyers are willing to spend for the coin.

6. Tinto says

The Sac C&C gave me the most thrill in years when it comes to coin collecting …. thanks to MNB and the folks that post here I would have never known about it until it was too late (as usual). Nothing hyped or over hyped or way over hyped like the JFK 50th ann. …. the collectors discovered it for themselves. And the bonus for me is that EU Sac is actually going to be part of the small number of EU coin types I already bought from the Mint …

@Tinto – expect to see a lot more enhanced uncirculated and reverse proof offerings from the U.S. Mint in the future. The U.S. Mint now has another “finish” it can offer to the public – thereby increasing the number of coin variations it can sell.

8. Bernie in FL says

@The Real “Cool” Dave

Thanks again for the Info. I appreciate any help and enlightenment on this subject!

9. Larry says

@ Hidalgo, or maybe not. Look at the two matte finish Jeffersons. Since then, there have been no more matte finish coins, at least that I can remember. If history shows anything, we really never know what the mint is going to do.

10. Tinto says

Yeah, I hope they limit the offerings … can’t afford too much stuff anymore .

And Dick Peterson is being moved over as Deputy Director for Manufacturing and Quality … hmmm maybe the screams of frustrated buyers who got cr*p quality products have been heard …

Don’t know if it is against the rules on MNB to post a link ..

@Eagle One: IMHO I would add a few SEs to your list. 86 PF for obvious reasons, 94 PF, and a cpl others. Any ideas on the HR coin this year? Wouldn’t it be awesome if they hire Mercanti to design it? Hmmm…

It is a Medal so I think you can be a retired former Chief Engraver since no monetary value but also as we have seen, the new designers use computers and Mercanti is old school so I could see, and hope, he is at least a contributer to the design and a current Mint designer puts it on a hard drive…

Has there been any more chatter in regard to a 2015 reverse proof set? While this sounds like an interesting and desirable offering, it would mean another reverse proof Kennedy immediately on the heels of the first one. The ’14 Kennedy RP would, therefore, no longer be unique.

@Hawkster – here is a Coin World article dated August 7, 2014 on the 2015 reverse proof set. Based on the article, it seems like it’s a “Go” for the U.S. Mint. I presume that 1,000s will be sold. They will be of interest for the novelty of the set — I doubt they will be rare. Dealers will buy them, have the coins certified, and sell them at high prices (especially for “70” graded coins).

15. Keep Calm & Stack On says

“matte finish” with respect to “in an elegant hardwood box” doesn’t count, unless we’re now collecting boxes and bags 😉

Tinto – it was good, regardless of the finish, I hope the mint keeps the subtle surprises coming!

NGC/PCGS Members – are the Sacabuck grades tucked away or hidden somewhere in the respective population reports?
    I can’t find the grades for the Enhacenced Sacabuck anywhere and was looking to pull the numbers, it’s been like 6-7 weeks since the release…

16. Keep Calm & Stack On says

PCGS ~
    2014-S 50C Enhanced – Silver 50th Anniversary Set, DMPL, 68-2; 69-33; 70-30; Tot: 65

NGC ~
    2014 S SILVER 50C, HIGH RELIEF, SPEHD (DPL), 68-1; 69-223; 70-710; Tot: 934

@Keep Calm & Stack On —

Matte finish refers to a special type of finish found on some US Mint coins. It’s the same type of finish that was and is being used on some paper-copy photographs. (On photographs, it prevents fingerprints from appearing (unlike glossy photos)). I believe all of the American Buffalo one ounce gold coins have been minted with a matte finish, but I could easily be mistaken.

I have access to the PCGS population reports and the NGC census. However, I do not see any listings for the 2014 D Native American enhanced uncirculated coin. Possibly, it is too early for both organizations to post their data. NGC will sometimes take its time before it posts updates.

18. Keep Calm & Stack On says

’14 DMPLs ~

2014 25C Great Smoky Mtns NP 5 oz Silver, DM, 69-336
    2014 25C Shenandoah NP 5 oz Silver, DM, 68-1; 69-270
    2014 25C Arches NP 5 oz Silver, DM, 69-315
    2014 25C Great Sand Dunes NP 5 oz Silver, DM, 68-1; 69-648; 70-1
    2014 25C Everglades NP 5 oz Silver, DM, 67-1; 68-2; 69-285

19. Eagle One says

Regarding the Reverse Proof Set…

I could truly appreciate a one-time Reverse Proof Set in Silver. But, the additional production of a Clad Reverse Proof Set sounds like more toxic waste is on the way. Additionally, they should have waited for the ATB Quarters Program to have finished before doing this. Now we will have one year of ATB quarters at random that are reverse proofed and nine years that are not. I perceive this as poor planning. Furthermore, I can’t wait to see the ATB quarters be gone. Statehood Quarters, US Territories, and now the National Parks – I’m so freaking burnt out on the quarter dollar circus that I cringe when ever I look at my change as I think about all the money I wasted collecting Statehood Quarters. I would sure like to see the quarter dollar go back to the standardized heraldic reverse design. JMHO.

20. A&L Futures says

For those wishing to track population figures for the recently released Sacabuck (via PCGS), simply add a version of each (e.g. Position “A,” or “B” to your Registry. It’s the easiest way to track them.

@A&L Futures – are the numbers for the 2014 D $1 Native American dollar that you posted inclusive of the Enhanced Uncirculated finish? Or are they exclusive?

Eagle One,
    I completely agree with you in regard to the one year and out reverse proof set planned for 2015.
    While seemingly a good idea, it will be strange to have one random year of five reverse proof ATB quarters. Additionally, I brought up the point that we will have two consecutive years of Kennedy reverse proofs. So much for a unique, one year Kennedy reverse proof.
    In 2005, halfway through the state quarters program, the Mint decided to come out with satin finish specimens in the uncirculated sets. So, now we have half the state quarters from the unc.sets with the satin finish and the other half with the regular finish. Sometimes you have to wonder about the decision making in the Mint offices.

23. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- NGC hasn’t released any population data as of yet. The Early Release cutoff date was 12-24-14. I think, but not sure, it is normally around 30 days after the cutoff date before they release census numbers, but you probably know more about that than I do.

A 2015 proof set will, in addition having one random year of ATB quarter reverse proofs, also have one random year of reverse proof Presidential and Sacagawea dollars. Pretty odd. Of course this is assuming the Mint does the complete set in reverse proof.

Hawkster… the Kennedy RP will be 2 years of unique coins. 2014 Kennedy a Higher relief coin and the 2015 will return to the standard relief. I’m no fan of the planned RP set…I see no point in it.

Speaking of wondering about decision making at the Mint, I wonder if this will be the year they return to looking like they know math and how to count and give us our 30th ann. ASE? I think the last time they used real math was 1995 for the 10th… I’m thinking .9999 gold Enhanced Uncirculated Eagle with edge lettering copies of signatures of Adolph Weinman, Ronald Reagan and John Mercanti. Also, change back the U in United States to a capital, what was that all about?

27. The Real "Cool" Dave says

“The Mint hasn’t had a Mint Director for quite a while .. I just read on the online Numismatic News (article date Jan 9) that the Mint has appointed a new Deputy Director, Rhett Jeppson.”

Wow — that is interesting, especially in light of the e-mail I sent to R. Peterson, on 06, January.

However, I am still waiting for a response? I am still also waiting for an order from 05, December.

28. Tinto says

I guess it’s okay for me to give a link to the article itself

Here’s some quote from that article … maybe he will instill some discipline to the US Mint

“Jeppson was previously the Acting Chief Operating Officer of the Small Business Administration and as an Associate Administrator for Veterans Business Development. Prior to that, he served 24 years in the U.S. Marine Corps. “

I’m also not a fan of a reverse proof set. Reverse proofs are fine with certain coins in silver and gold, but do we really need RP presidential dollars, Lincoln cents and Jefferson nickels?
    If the Mint is really intent on making a RP set, why not do it with the 2015 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set? Wouldn’t that make more sense? Of course the mintage limit would have to be raised from its present 50,000 to a higher level to accomodate greater customer interest in such a set.

30. Eagle One says

On the RP Set….

I’m thinking they should shelve the RP Set until the ATB Quarter Program ends. When the Quarter returns to normal is when the RP should be used. Also, it will give them time to figure out what to do with the Kennedy half. An Allan Sheppard or Neil Armstrong half would be great IMO. Does anyone know when the ATBs and Presidential Dollar programs expire?

31. Erik H says

I wouldn’t mind a reverse proof cent in 95% copper, a nickel, a silver quarter with the original 1932 design, or a $20 gold eagle with or with out motto reverse. Other than that. .. no thanks I have enough reverse proofs.

32. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Hey all —

Be careful about opening links a I picked up the following:

This threat is part of the Win32/Chroject malware family. This family of threats can use your PC to perform click fraud. They run in the background and use a significant amount of your PC power and network bandwidth. This can severely impact the performance of your PC, the speed of your Internet connection, and may lead to excess data usage charges from your Internet service provider.

I noticed it before my Virus program, as if you turn your speakers to about 60%, you can hear it rapidly clicking. And my hard-drive on my notebook running over, also my resource meter registered it running.

Click fraud When a malicious hacker makes money by using your PC to click ads. The malicious hacker uses malware to do this in the background, so you won’t see it happening. The MMPC blog post “Another way Microsoft is disrupting the malware ecosystem” explains how click fraud works.

Command and control server The server from which an operator controls the bot nodes in a botnet. This server acts as the command center for the network.

Compromised website A website that includes malicious pages or links to malicious content. A website can be compromised with or without the website owner knowing about it. Compromised websites can be used to spread malware to unsuspecting visitors.

Constructor A program that can be used to automatically create malware files.

33. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Analyzed the thing. The bastard — now lets run a little feedback loop through his server, see if we can burn it up, hope it is cooled — LOL!

34. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – hey I got some responses back and while I’m still waiting on a couple more, it appears they decided to sit on the sidelines on this one. I’m guessing, to your point, that the price adjustment(increase) was viewed as too much of a potential cut to margin and carried too much risk. Or perhaps with the JFK sets floundering (among others), they are carrying too much inventory and choose to shore up the balance sheet (like many of us here on MNB!). I sense I may be in a bit of a pickle now, will give a shout out as I know more. Just learned a big lesson in how unpredictable this hobby can be, just when you think you have a plan!

35. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- for some reason they went all in on Shenandoah, Arches, and GSD and didn’t touch Smoky or Everglades. I thought for sure after what happened with Smoky they would be all over Everglades after they saw the first weekly sales report. Learned a lesson indeed, they don’t pay much attention to current market sales data. Your point about being overextended on the JFK offerings is a good one and I hadn’t really taken that into account. I know they took a lot of losses on the aforementioned pucks, so I guess I should have seen it coming. I have a backup plan, but not sure I have the money to execute it. Pretty sure I don’t. I need to shore up the balance sheet also. 😉

@RCD- I am going to beeeeeeeeeeeeee out early tonight…. going to crash with the white noise sound and disgruntled disembodied dallas cowboy fans voices crying over a horrific call fading into the white noise 😉

I get phishing e-mails from time to time wanting me to click on a link and update info. They’re easy enough to spot, so I use them as teaching tools for my kids and mother, who I worry about the most.

37. Ends in Error says

ATB Quarters coming to an end? What a shame. Maybe they could put Video Game Heros and Villains on the Quarters as a way to get kids into Coins again.
    What the heck, they put Spouses on Gold Coins. What a waste that was.

38. Ends in Error says

Give me an ” enhanced ” 😉 Type 1 2016 Standing Liberty Quarter and I’ll be one
    happy SOB.

39. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Dustyroads says, January 11, 2015 at 11:39 pm
    “Mr cool Dave, Do you use Internet Explorer? If so, may that be the problem? Are you still using the IE 6? IE 11 is available, but may not properly upload, then you will need to buy a new OS.”

What? LOL! No . . . don’t need a new operating system and I do have the latest version of my browser. I am somewhat computer savvy 🙂

It was/is as I had stated above, nothing more, I just happen to see it, before my anti-virus program notified. Just thought I would throw out an fyi.

Thanks for the info though.

40. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Well folks, guess that puts another day into the books. Time to sign off now with the National Anthem and then either a long (TV) “beeeeeeeeeeeeee” sound or white noise . . . then disembodied voices.

Good Night all !

Mr. “Cool” Dave 🙂

41. Larry says

How about a 2016 Standing Liberty Quarter set, Proof, RP proof, and enhanced unc. Or maybe an Ultra High Relief? Seems to me the mint couldn’t possibly loose with any of those.

42. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Larry – just for you ~

Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Meeting public meeting scheduled for January 27-28, 2015. Review and consideration of candidate designs for the the 2016 24K Gold Coin Anniversary products (Mercury Dime, Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Standing Liberty Quarter).

Mr. “Cool” Dave 🙂 I hope I didn’t give the impression that I don’t see your… more vast computer knowledge, I do, I just want to help out the best that I can with what knowledge I can possibly do so with.

KCSO~Think long and enjoy yourself. Remember, there’s always a curve on the road to successes.

45. cagcrisp says

Looks like a price Increase is coming for Gold products on Wednesday afternoon. The Remaining 4 fixes Just need to Average $1 ,175.10 OR Above for there to be an Increase (Along with a PM fix on Wednesday)…

46. cagcrisp says

silver coins, gold coins, and circus coins…

How do I pay for these? Raise cash. I raised cash today. Don’t like what I See…

47. cagcrisp says

A Gold Standing Liberty Quarter. Dang. I was hoping they wouldn’t do that one. That means Less halfs and Less dimes to offset the Gold quarter. Dang…

If you want very many of Each……, that’s going to cost some Money…

48. Dave SW FL says

You talkin DJIA, QQQ, SPY, XOI, or all the above?

DJIA & SPY are both showing negative divergences between MACD and RSI with price. You could also stretch imagination and see potential Head & Shoulders on the daily chart if you accept angled necklines.

I personally think oil is getting close to bottoming, but I try to avoid falling knives and thus will wait it out.

49. cagcrisp says

@Dave SW FL,

Raising money to pay for silver coins, gold coins and circus coins…

SPY and big Banks. I think the Saudis are Trying to inflict Pain. Not enough Pain that I can see. Oil will stop when Saudi says it will stop and I don’t see the bottom until there is More Pain… Lower and Longer…

Haven’t seen any White Flags being waved as yet…

silver coins, gold coins and circus coins…

50. Dave SW FL says

Agreed. The miners forecast the current gold & silver strength.
    Spot gold needs to get and stay over $1400 and silver $26 ( that’s a looooong way) to get a bull charging. Still appears we are basing. Platinum looks really dead.

To buy or not to buy FS Unc gold before the increase. I am on the fence.

51. Tinto says

How about a Type 1 Standing Liberty quarter in high relief in 5oz size … I’d buy that in a heartbeat

cag…aside from the gold, silver and circus coins…

I saw an article on the web indicating a Saudi Price doesn’t see oil over $100 in the future again. That said, it also looks like the long term goal is to inflict pain to multiple parties. The Prince indicated cutting production doesn’t make sense – since other producers would just fill the void right now – so they would get burned on both fronts – lower prices and lower production. (kind of why OPEC originated to try and control all that and now other players aren’t in OPEC)

I also think they realize that high priced oil leads to breakthrough developments in batteries – engines – and ??? The fact is if they kept oil artificially high they were/are going to push technologies harder and in the long run cut their own throats.

So we’ll have to sit back and see what the long term goals actually are…

53. Tinto says

I just read somewhere that Chevy’s going to introduce a new EV vehicle the Bolt in the next few years, with a range of 200 miles and maybe priced around 30k.

I think the genie’s out of the bottle when it comes to alternative sources of energy for vehicles … and nothing the Saudi’s can do to put it back in the bottle.

54. cagcrisp says

@thePhelps, I saw what the Prince said and Agree… IF you have seen some broadcast with the Prince and in the background you see CNBC on a Flat Screen TV. That tells you something.

High prices cure High prices………..

Pertaining to………..

silver coins, gold coins and circus coins…

In regard to your suggestion for a 5 oz Standing Liberty quarter:
    The ATB quarters work in the large, 5 oz. size, especially the ones that depict sweeping images of the National Parks. Of course, theses scenes are on the coin’s reverse. On the other hand, the Washington obverse takes a while getting used to, many feeling that it has a token-like quality.
    Could a 5 oz. Standing Liberty quarter maintain its dignified appearance in this large size? That is the question I have.

As for our own glut here in the states, if the dollar were to weaken some we should see exports pick up. I think, if I’m not wrong, that would depend on the economy in Europe and if there is to be any intervention from the central banking system there.

57. Tinto says

The only way to find out how the 5oz will look is for the Mint to make a life size mock up of it I guess. As for the ATB working in large sizes, I have to say some like the Perry or the Saratoga do not made the grade ….

Hawkster… I think some of us are hoping for a less than dignified Type 1 Standing Liberty…large and in full display of her beauty.

The reverse might be a little on the light side with a flying eagle – that would become huge on the 5 ounce coin.

Dave SW FL,

Yeah, I guess we have to make a decision on the First Spouses before the price increase. I’m leaning towards going ahead and picking up a few more (probably 5) Eleanor Roosevelt uncs before the price goes up. $125 is $125. With only around 2,400 proofs, the uncs must be a few hundred lower than that. I’m still sticking to 1,600.

I guess I’ll make my final decision when I see the new sales numbers. I thought we’d have them at some point today, but the excel spreadsheet hasn’t been updated yet. Heck, all they’ve done so far is delete the “Availability” Y/N column on the website and the spreadsheet too.

60. cagcrisp says

@Brad, “but the excel spreadsheet hasn’t been updated yet”.

Shouldn’t be hard to Update. There isn’t much selling outside the ASE…

Think they could count ’em on fingers and toes…

The Phelps,
    Would that mean that you’d like to see Lady Liberty’s type 1 bare breast in a larger size and in higher relief with a 5 ouncer?

62. GoldFishin says

@Cagcrisp- pertaining to silver coins…I am waiting with anticipation the numbers on the glades SP pucks. If you get them, could you post please?
    pertaining to gold coins -I do pay attention to slanted h&s patterns and gold broke a reverse h&s pattern on dailys today. There has been some real nice base building in gold for the last six months. I’ll be watching for futher advance and a retest of the neckline. $ seems to have hit a brick wall at 92.4 and has a unorganized H&S, but still indicates strong resistance.
    Pertaining to circus coins, I kind of like the idea of changing up the boring Mint Proof sets with a couple of enhanced or RP designs as long as it is a one off and the Mint doesn’t turn their new website and offerings into PT Barnum Central. 🙂

63. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Dustyroads says, January 12, 2015 at 11:21 am
    “Viruses and malicious software are only becoming more prevalent while tools to combat them are at a minimum. I try to do everything right, but I’m afraid that nagging voice in the back of my mind warning me will never end. This is the world we now live in…”

Oh no, I was just annoyed at the whole virus thing, it might have (my annoyed thing) came across in my post (no worries). I would not say my knowledge is vast, though — LOL!

I did however, at the time, think exactly what you posted above, though. 🙂