Bronze Medals Offered for African-American History Month

In recognition of African-American History Month, the United States Mint has created a new section of their online product catalog to showcase medals commemorating the achievements of African-Americans and their contributions to the nation’s history. In all cases, the medals represent bronze duplicate versions of Congressional Gold Medals which were authorized under Acts of Congress.

Some of the medals included in this section were originally issued during the course of the past few years and have been previously covered on Mint News Blog. For example, the medal honoring Dr. Martin Luther King and Coretta Scott King was issued in June 2014. Although originally authorized by Congress in 2004, additional authorization was required to allow the medal to be given to the Smithsonian Institution after the passing of Coretta Scott King. Additional legislation was enacted on June 9, 2014, allowing the medal to be awarded on June 24.

Two other medals which have previously been covered include the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing Victims Medal awarded on September 10, 2013 and the Montford Point Marines Medal awarded on June 28, 2012.

Jackie Robinson Medal

The remaining medals included in the section were originally issued before Mint News Blog started covering medals. In many cases the medals have not been available for purchase from the US Mint for a number of years.

The additional bronze medals made available for African-American History Month include the following:

• Senator Edward William Brooke III – Act of Congress 2008
  • Tuskegee Airmen – Act of Congress 2006
  • Jackie Robinson – Act of Congress 2003
  • Brown vs. Board of Education – Act of Congress 2003
  • Dorothy Height – Act of Congress 2003
  • Rosa Parks – Act of Congress 1999
  • Little Rock Nine – Act of Congress 1998
  • Jesse Owens – Act of Congress 1988

It is interesting to note the connection that some of these medals have to United States Mint commemorative coin programs. In 2007, the Little Rock Central High School Desegregation Commemorative Silver Dollar was packed together with the Little Rock Nine Bronze Medal in a special set. Prior to the issuance of the Congressional Gold Medal, Jackie Robinson was honored in a commemorative coin program in 1997. Lastly, the Jesse Owens Bronze Medal was packaged with the 1995 Track and Field Olympic Silver Dollar within a special set.

All of the African-American History Month Medals can be viewed or purchased at this section of the US Mint’s website.

1. D Rittenhouse says

I can barely wait for the start of European-American History Month. Lot’s of important U.S. history created by those people.

2. KEITHSTER says

Too bad they did not make these in silver would have been in for a few? Not into the bronze much but do have a backorder on the 2014 FS ‘s those are hot now much like the C&C in the end stage Both have the remind me that I forgot but as that don’t work must be the new sold out reminder? Hope they leave them as is as it would be in the best intrest to keep um hot ya know? If they can make those Pres. medals in silver why not these??? As Always Good Luck All :>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

3. jayarejr says

More kow-towing by the government to minorities. The achievements of Africans are nothing compared to Europeans.

4. JBK says

Many of these have indeed not been available for some time – it is good to see a few of them back on sale, although the reissues seem to be the ones available only in the smaller size for the most part.

The Tuskegee Airmen medal design is especially nice. I finally picked up the small version and need to get the larger one before that one disappears.

I only wish the Mint would reissue some other medals from recent decades.

5. cagcrisp says

Numbers are Out.

I am Surprised that Sales of the Marshal coins are as strong as they are Considering there are no shipments.

Remarkably Strong are Sales of the Golds Considering a ship date of 05/05/15.

There are only 1,743 sets of the 3 coins left to hit 15,000…

6. cagcrisp says

According to the latest Mint numbers, $2,015,061(less expenses) has been raised for the Marshal museum.

Now if the Mint could get the coins out the door Before the Gold market continues to slide…

IF there is a deal with Greece and the Ukraine, look out below for Gold…

I have to agree somewhat with D “Written”…I was challenged in 3rd grade to memorize the first lines of the D of I…I did, I was told it was extra credit to memorize the last line and if I did it I would never forget it, I did and to this day “and for the support of this declaration with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.” Amen!

8. jeff says

Welcome to the New U.S. Mint Gold & Sliver Nah, Copper & Bronze you betcha less expense more profitable, now were talking. I can see it now why bang out precious commodities that cost dollars when you can strike for pennies. Keep buying suckr…

9. jeff says

cagcrisp says

February 17, 2015 at 5:38 pm

As I said spitting out the propaganda, we sold tens of thousands even though no on has received them yet. Really.

10. A Different Jeff says

@gary –
    Regarding the pricing of the gold coins – these are the same premiums charged for 2013’s Generals and 2014’s Baseball HoF.

@cagcrisp –
    The 3 coin Generals sold out in the introductory period, with adjustments made several months later. The Star Spangled Banner set did not have a limit. between 1997 and 2008 there were few multi coin sets – 2003 First Flight and 2008 Bald Eagle did sell out. Prior to 1997, multi coin sets were offered for both proof and uncirculated coins and none had limits. Note that I am only considering sets which had a gold coin in them.

In all cases, there were multiple times during the year that coins would have extended delivery dates where the mint did not have sufficient stock to fulfill orders. This usually wasn’t an issue until the TPGs started issuing the ill-conceived ‘First Strike’/’Early Release’ labels.

Oh, and current sales (after 3 weeks) of the Marshals golds are ahead of the total for the Generals and within 10% of the totals for each of the other gold issues of 2011 and 2012. Not a failure, in light of recent performance.

Interesting observation ADJ, TY!

12. The Real "Cool" Dave says

The Real “Cool” Dave says

February 17, 2015 at 8:46 pm

@GoldFishin says,February 17, 2015 at 2:45 pm
    “. . . A little “nunismatic rnowledge” goes a long way . . ”

Be careful, since many a good dealers have been/could be fooled as well; it has happened.

13. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Do I hear an echo?

@CasualCollector says, February 17, 2015 at 12:56 pm
    “Free way to get a bunch of email addresses”

This is very, very likely, now that you mention it. Since they opened a bunch of items this way.

@ VA Bob says , February 17, 2015 at 12:50 pm
    “Cool Dave – I never believed they sold them all in the first place.”

Now that I think about it — this too makes sense – I also think they are getting the rejects sent out from the prevous rejects and they might have found some in the worehouse, that should have shipped. Seems they either told that to me or someone on the blog. (?).

I never did send that letter to my senator, but I continue to document this circus, just in case I change my mind. This is just another example, of this new managements, lack of respect for collector/customers, as I said before.

14. Mark says

PCGS 2015 S Clad Half Dollar Proof 70 First Strike …Long Beach Label …Just sold for over $1600.00 on the Bay. WOW.

Different Jeff – “Prior to 1997, multi coin sets were offered for both proof and uncirculated coins and none had limits.”

That’s why I’m personally for no pre-determined mintages, be it three coin sets or individual pieces. It let’s the coins sell or fail on their own merit, ensuring the prospect of market saturation is reduced to a minimum. If it’s a good design it will sell, and be popular (and will likely remain so, i.e. 2001 Buffalo and 2009 UHR. If not sales will be slow, and lack of hype will not artificially inflate their numbers, possibly giving it a second chance in the future.

16. Joe says

I would like to see Chris Kyle the “American Sniper” on a coin / medallion. If the US mint wouldn’t do it I wish a private mint would strike a deal with his family. Any thoughts ?

17. Jerry Diekmann says

Many accomplishments to the benefit of our country have been made by both blacks and whites. Maybe five or more years ago, I came up with the idea of a series of coins (I had half dollars, but they could have been of some other denomination) to honor “American Patriots and Heroes”, from the beginning of our country’s history to the present time. This was a thought-out effort on my part, and I researched a lot of names and history before settling on 50 some candidates for the honor. They were men and women, and black and white, and some of them were people most people, including coin collectors, never heard of. Anyway, I sent my proposals to my State Senators, the U.S. Mint, the Citizens Commemorative Coin Committee, and “Coinage” and “Coin World” magazine/newsletter. The only response I ever received was from “Coin World” and the editor said my proposal could not be supported and was DOA. As far as I was concerned, since these coins were not ever meant to circulate (I guess they could have if struck as clad coins), they could very well have been struck as 40% silver clads. Even back then I was thinking it was time to retire the JFK halves. Those of us older collectors know that these silver clads, since the outer portion is 80% silver, look almost the same as the 90% silver coins, and cost considerably less, and could have been a good choice for getting more of these coins into the hands of collectors, while recognizing some truly great Americans who deserved to be honored. That was the only response – no hello, good-bye, thank you, kiss my ass, or anything from any of the other organizations. So, I pretty much folded up my tent about this project. All I see now is more and more PC coins and PC themes, and the latest mistake, in my opinion, is this planned 2015 $75.00 (?!?!) coin.

18. gary says

Jerry, I agree with you about the ridiculous $75 gold thing coming out this year. In reality, the Mint can concoct just about any odd thing and because of it’s “novelty” it will sell very well. Good or bad design is no problem, novelty alone will be it’s selling point.

In the 1970’s Longines Symphonette issued many beautiful medals in silver and bronze and they created a series of medals in honor of landmarks in American history…

19. stephen m says

Three nice bronze medals for black history month. Why have black history month. I believe it’s only a reminder of the past and it can be used so many ways to express so many beliefs and opinions that can do good or not.

20. JBK says

JD, re: heroes coins: all you need is one key person to take an interest, which is easier said than done, of course, but someone had the “hairbrained“ idea to have state quarters, then national parks quarters, 5 ounce silver pucks, etc., and there we go. State Senators would not be involved – you would need to get your Congressman involved ideally. Or, a US Senator.

The other issue is who would pick the heroes. There would be terrible infighting and interference with that. We would probably end up with a laundry list of special interest figures and a politically correct freak show.

This idea might be better for stamps. You can make suggestions for subjects for stamps to an advisory committee which makes recommendations go the USPS.

21. Sam Little says

How about Asian-American month? If you look around most of the physicians (especially specialists such as oncologists) and science professors in the U.S. are Asian.

22. cagcrisp says

@fmtransmitter, No Fed meeting. The Minutes of the last Fed meeting are to be released in about an hour…

The Minutes do Not generate the VIX as much as the Actual Meeting does. (Usually)…

23. A Bob says

“By act of congress” medals are a big deal. Of course there are politics involved but very few Americans are honored in this way.
    Black History Month is exactly the right time for the mint to showcase these medals.

24. JBK says

I would say I agree with “A Bob”.

After all, the mint did not invent African-American History Month – they are just taking advantage of the observance to offer some themed medals and to reissue some that have not been available for years.

I just wish they had a reason/excuse to do the same with other topics/honorees….. Then again, sets like the TR and FDR have provide opportunities to Mint new versions of prior medals.

25. cagcrisp says

The expected in-stock date for the 3 coin Marshal set has been going back and forth between 02/02 and 05/02. Currently it is 05/02. Early this morning it was 02/02. I would Think Something actually triggers the date changes. Maybe where a hamster stops on a hamster wheel…

26. cagcrisp says

Fed Minutes out and Gold actually rallied( Off low). Minutes more Dovish than anticipated…

Circus coins, Gold coins, Silver coins…

27. CoinCollector says

The contributions of black Americans to the best country in the world are well documented. I can certainly understand disagreements concerning design (for example, the civil rights commemorative reads “we shall overcome…liberty” lol) but the events are integral to understanding America and should be recorded on our coinage.

28. Jerry Diekmann says

Gary – what a beautiful set and the people and events being commemorated! Of course, I would never go anywhere near a seller with a 93% positive rating. I wonder how many people have the slightest ideam about the Macon and Akron? Thanks for the info – I never knew about these kinds of sets – I knew about the Franklin Mint, but I couldn’t afford their offerings either. I understand that now all these sets from the 1970s and 1980s are worth only bullion, or a little more.

29. Jerry Diekmann says

JBK – thanks for the reply. Actually, I did send my proposals to each of my senators (Feinstein and Boxer) from California. They are both fabulously wealthy women who most likely couldn’t have cared less about my recommended program. My proposals were probably dumped in the nearest trash can by their staff. The same fate happened at the Mint too, I guess. You are probably right – my idea might be better for stamps, but OMG, some of the subjects on stamps nowadays make you want to upchuck. I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know how to contact this stamp advisory committee, if you know. Since this forum is dedicated to coin collectors, I don’t want to waste other people’s time with an off-topic issue, so if you do have the info, please Email it to me at Thank you.

30. mac says

I also agree with A-Bob; they’re a nice set of medals honoring a group of accomplished and brave Americans, people who worked hard to change an unjust system. I’m happy to have the opportunity to purchase some of these previously out of production items. I’m also more than a bit ashamed of the casual bigotry (comments about PC, European History Month, etc.) shown by some of the people on this thread. If we think they’re being ugly, shouldn’t more of us be calling them out on it?