Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

Today, February 5, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for products containing circulating quality Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollars. This will represent the first release of the year and the thirty-third release overall for the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

Harry Truman Presidential Dollar

The obverse design of the Harry S. Truman Dollar features a portrait of the president designed and engraved by Don Everhart. Inscriptions include “Harry S. Truman”, “In God We Trust”, “33rd President”, and the dates served “1945-1953”. In the design selection phase, this design had been supported by both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

The reverse of the coin carries the image of the Statue of Liberty intended to represent Liberty, which was also designed and engraved by Don Everhart. The inscriptions include “United States of America” and the denomination expressed as “$1”.

The coins also include edge incused lettering with the motto “E Pluribus Unum”, the date, and mint mark. Under the authorizing legislation, these inscriptions were to be placed on the edge of the coin in order to provided additional space for larger and more dramatic artwork.

The products available today contain circulating quality examples of the 2015 Harry S. Truman Presidential Dollar from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint facilities in either 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, or 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95 each. The price levels are unchanged from the prior year. All products feature packaging which contains the name of the President, the face value of the contents, and the mint mark.

There are no stated product or ordering limits imposed. Customer demand will determine the number of coins minted. Since 2012, newly released Presidential Dollars have not been distributed for general circulation and have only been available within numismatic products.

1. KEITHSTER says

Will get some but will wait no hurry on these! Funny they don’t have the mintage out yet but they must have minted most of them by now? Any think the smokies will go up in smoke soon? Any C&C thoughts on the last shipment how do they look? Good Luck Ton All:>:>:>:>:>

2. Mark says

Why would someone buy bags and rolls of these. If you are doing a set o.k, ,, but more than a few WHY?

3. cagcrisp says

@Mark, I have given away 100 coin bags of Sacawawea before to some young ones. Here are some reasons that I did what I did:
    1. Some were birth years and hopefully when they are old they will give $1 coins away to their grandchildren that has their birth year.
    2. Inexpensive premium $111.95 for $100
    3. Teach young ones to count. They look at a toys flyer and they want several item. Lay out 100 dollar coins and then let them pick out an item and put that amount in a pile. You will be amazed how fast children learn how to count IF they can relate to something…

4. Bernie in FL says

Wow. Inflation has really hit. I used to teach my kids to count with pennies. Now we are up to Dollars! 🙂

5. CasualCollector says

Speaking of “visual aids” to teach kids counting. Have you ever seen the pictures of how to use Legos to teach kids fractions? I used it a long time ago when my kids were young — and I have to say it made it very easy for them to understand the concept of 1/2 or 1/4 etc…

Circus Coins, Golden Dollars, War Medals, US Marshals…

CasualCollector says,

“Circus Coins, Golden Dollars, War Medals, US Marshals”

That is so funny. I can’t believe we have to feel like we can’t say what we want to, when all along this thread is an open invitation to join the conversation. I sure hope the “on topic” Fuzz doesn’t show up an start busting some sculls!!

7. Ends in Error says

Every once in a while I buy a $250 Box of Native or Presidential $1’s. I use them to buy Tim Hortens Coffee or in vending machines at work. I feel no urge to hoard them – that would be a foolish thing to do.

8. jeff says

So Cagcrisp if the Marshal coin net 1.4 mil. in the first 2 days sales for this museum . What’s the lost revenue numbers. Compute that, bet it’s more. Don’t matter I’m sure they feel free money is free money ..

9. Ralph says

thePhelps: Thanks. Hope I can come to your defense sometime. Of course it will coin related!

Just picked up my 3-coin set’s. Going to check them in a minute.

I worked with someone who has collected all o f the Presidential Doll Rolls so far. He has them on enrollment. I asked him why not wait until the 4th release is out, buy all four and pay one shipping charge. Not like they’re going to sell out by then. Didn’t have an answer. I then asked him if he know how special the W. H. Harrison rolls are, and he had no clue. Just likes to stock pile white boxes I guess.

“The only problem giving out the Presidential dollars to young kids is that the coins have the appearance of play money.”

Want to really confuse them have them play the French version on Monopoly… where they might actually be playing with real money.

11. CasualCollector says

Off Topic

That Sacagawea Edge Lettering Error is still at $6,450. But I noticed there is a 10% Buyers fee — meaning the current price to the buyer is $7,095

So anyone that was planning to bid — be prepared to pay an extra 10% above your winning bid (yikes)

OffT: I got two 50 TRILLION crisp gem notes for a novelty, then I read that the Country had 50 BILLION % inflation in 2009…Dashed my hopes of the notes being worth anything again one day…Cool to look at though

Tim says
    FEBRUARY 5, 2015 AT 4:34 PM

One of the few designs that actually looks like the person it is supposed to

Glad Rushmore won for circulating…It is getting harder and harder to find these at my local car washes..lol I think folks are hoarding them i.e., me!

The Wolf laser cut out, although innovative, IMHO should never have beaten the Fortuna Redux! That thing is simply stunning and innovative. I think it should have won, but the simplistic approach to the Wolf and the way it was designed it truly unique and for this reason it should be recognized, seems collectors loved it as well…

16. cagcrisp says

When I go to the blog and there is a Major Increase in Comments, I know One of two things has happened:

1. Something Major is causing a Lot of Comments
    2. I Specific poster has posted….

Circus Coins, Golden Dollars, War Medals, US Marshals…

17. Dave SW FL says

Just what makes the WHHarrison dollar rolls so special?
    I am noticing that the mint wrapped are going for 3X bank wrapped ( although some are trying to get the premium on the bank wrapped.)
    Also noticing proof rolls do not carry the big price tag, either.

Please enlighten us on this point.

18. mark says

Yes they sold out very quick. As soon as they sold out, the prices shot way up. I grabbed a p roll and d roll on the bay for $85 for both rolls. And flipped them $300 each. Just like the 2014 bronze first spouse medal sets are doing now.

19. jj says

have 2 rolls of each why is Harrison so collected? also hoping sets will be worth something later

20. Jerry Diekmann says

Bernie – when you were a kid, a penny was worth a dollar! Ha ha – I don’t know how old you are, but the devil made me do it. Actually, I remember when a penny (cent) was a decent coin, and 5 of them would get you a pack of baseball cards (with chewing gum) or a pack of cards with cars from the beginning to the brand new (which were the 1955 models back then). I learned a lot about baseball and cars from these little cards. Some of them wound up in our bicycle spokes because they made a neat noise when you rode your bike. Yes, memories!

P.S. – And the cents were made almost entirely of copper. They sometimes would tarnish into pretty colors, and even the old ones aged better than the junk cents the Mint has issued since 1982. Billions and billions of them, nobody likes them, nobody collects them – just worthless pieces of zinc, and they tarnish very quickly into ugly, ugly coins, and the Mint keeps making them – and losing money in the process.

21. Jerry Diekmann says

frmtransmitter – about President Truman – I think it is one of the very best renditions the Mint has done in the entire series – better than Washington, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and so much better than the disastrous FDR coin which looks like someone other than FDR – really a shame, actually an in sult, since there are so many pictures and photos and newsreels of FDR available. The Truman coin is just great, IMO, very well done – it shows him to be a strong person and of strong personal character, something sorely missing in the presidents of this last generation – Republican or Democrat. History has shown him to be a much better President than what many people thought of him, especially when he was President. I also like the Ike dollar very much. I think the JFK dollar is a mistake, on par with the FDR coin, and the LBJ coin unfortunarely bears some resemblance to Nixon, and the men didn’t look anything like each other. I am NOT a collector of the Presidents coins, since I only collect the presidents I respect, and that leaves me with about half a complete set. I did buy a roll of FDR dollars because I believe our country was much better off at the end of his Presidency than at the start of his Presidency (my test for a “good” president). But for the first time since 2007, I’ll probably buy a roll of all four presidents, and that will definitely finish my “collection”. The only other President I would buy a roll of coins would be Reagan, and unfortunately, for some unexplained reason, he won’t be on a dollar coin – another unexplained mistake by the Mint, and there have been so many over the years. I was thinking that maybe in the future, once Congress gets its act together regarding coinage, and gets rid of the dollar bill, that there will be an enormous need for dollar coins, and maybe the MInt can then strike millions of Reagan dollar coins – that would be OK with me, even though I generally, but not always, vote forthe Democrat – again, I think he was a good president because the country was in better shape when he left office than he first began his presidency.

Dang, that’s why they said the sacabuck had to be in holder, wanted to swap out the missing edge lettering ones and throw u a 70 for your troubles..lol

Thanks Jerry D. I agree. The explanation of no Reagan is because the law said up to the last dead president. So because Jimmy is alive Reagan loses out. Has Jimmy gone on, we would’ve gotten both based on how the law was written.

24. VaBeachSteve says

OT: Receive my three coin set today from the mint today. These are some of the best designs I’ve seen in a while. I also noted that the mint was kind enough to send me two COAs. If anyone receives their set and they are missing their COA let me know and I will send you my extra

25. Jerry Diekmann says

Thanks, frmtransmitter. Seems a little illogical in the law, as Presidents don’t always conveniently die in the same order that they served in office. But it does open up an opportunity for millions of Carter and Reagan dollars to be minted if Congress ever does get rid of the $1.00 bill. it copuld be similar as to the milliions (billions) of coins minted after clad coins came on the scene in 1965, which happened at the same time that the “frozen” 1964 dates were being removed form all circulating coins. I’m sure that there will still be 1964 cents and nickels and 1965 through 1967 dimes and quarters still in circulation in 2064 and 2065, there were so many made.

26. mark says

Someone said they were missing a coa. Still waiting for all these 3 coin boxes for sale on ebay, none yet.

27. Ralph says

Dave SW FL: Seems you have received answers on the WH Harrison rolls. Had no idea they went for as much as $300 each. Good job mark!
    Really have no clue as to why they are so high.

28. stephen m says

Jerry D, The older penny (cent) when aged looks to have a lot of character to me. Is it dangerous to a humans health to carry around, zinc, all those worthless pieces of zinc in their pocket? Could be a conspiracy of some sort happening here carrying all this zinc around. I think we should keep that worthless cent but I don’t like the zinc penny. Bring the copper cent back maybe then a bad zinc one would be collectable.

29. Dave SW FL says

I don’t get it either, Ralph. Maybe instead of TPG labels, the new “thing” will be mint roll paper wrappers!? Really, what’s the difference between a roll in mint wrap vs String wrap???

30. Bernie in FL says

@Jerry Diekmann

I loved the comment. Pennies are reason I collect today. Yes I am an Old timer and have been collecting over 50 years now. You are right on the money. Memories, that is what coin collecting evokes in me every time I look at the coins of Old. Sad to say my two Daughters never caught on. They are too much into the technology of the day. Instant gratification and the need for the item to do a song and dance. If the Mint ever made a technological Coin that sang a song and did something other than just sit there. They’d be on it ASAP!

Sorry to say you and I are a dying breed. But I never started collecting for anyone but myself. If you have to explain to someone why we do it. Forget it. They will never understand.

Keep collecting and keep the Memories. After all is said and done. It’s all we have at the end. Memories!!!

31. jeff says

Hell I’d by happy to id someone gave me 1.4 mil. how’s the mint treating you over the last 10 days with no sales what so ever let don’t talk about that , propaganda pump you up ..

32. Keep Calm & Stack On says

The USM introductory sales period ends on March 2, 2015, at 3 p.m. EST. The $1 go up $5, & the Half-Dollars go up $4.

Does anyone know how much the $5’s go up?

33. Alex in MA says

@U.S. Marshals Museum Officials Pleased With Coin Sales, Expect Success To Continue

According to this article 90,000 coins will be sold there. If you play percentage game: 7,000 – gold, 33,000 -silver, the rest 50,000 – clad. And no sets there, no sets @ Long Beach…

34. cagcrisp says

@Alex in MA, $90,000 in coins for sale. If they Expect 400 people that is only $225/person. That’s 5 Silvers or 1/2 a Gold…

35. Mark says

Moderncoinmart has Marshals gold NGC pf70 …First Day Of Issue…for sale $630.00 if paid by check …… I gambled on one.( only 4 left)

I remember when those 2009 Mint-wrapped Harrison rolls were fetching insane money on the secondary market. I haven’t looked for a while, but the last time I did they seemed to be softening some. They were still going for a lot more than issue price, though.

The funny thing was, the Tyler rolls that immediately followed sold out at the exact same mintage level, but they were deemed pretty much worthless on the secondary market.

Often times it seems, mintage levels are not as important as PERCEPTION.

Consider the 2013 and 2014 Presidential Dollar Coin & First Spouse Medal Sets. We all remember late last year when the 2014’s and 2013’s all seemed to go to “out of stock” status in rapid-fire patter. The reported sales numbers for most of the 2013’s are actually LOWER than the 2014’s. However, the 2014’s are commanding crazy premiums at present. Check out the eBay auction where some lucky seller is actually realizing $219 EACH for the Herbert and Lou Hoover set, which sold around 4,500 units. The Harding and Coolidge sets, which also sold around 4,500, are going in the neighborhood of $90 each. Only FDR & Eleanor with their “high’ mintage of around 7,000 units is going for the low-end price of close to $40. Even that is still a pretty hefty markup from the original $9.95 price tag.

The 2013’s, on the other hand, are only fetching modest to moderate premiums. They only sold around 4,000 units of each except for Theodore Roosevelt, which sold about 5,000. My guess is that even though they tended to sell out unexpectedly as well (and with lower mintage numbers to boot), they had been around long enough that they have a PERCEIVED lesser value. The 2014’s disappeared so fast, it was basically a “Holy !@#$!” moment for everyone.

Wouldn’t you know, 2013 and 2014 were the years that I didn’t buy ANY extras of these sets. I was tired of buying extras in case they sold out, only to have them languish in the catalog for years. If I had bought even ONE extra of each 2014 set, I probably could have paid for all the extras I bought and am now stuck with of 2009 through 2012 with the profits. I’m sure I’ve blown $40 on much worse things, so why the heck didn’t I at least gamble THAT much? I’m such a chump. 🙁

37. David says

I’ll be glad when this bloody series is over. Biggest blunder the US Mint has made so far. Billions of these monstrosities in vaults because nobody wants to use them. Not to mention they look like Chuckie Cheese tokens.