Jack Nicklaus Congressional Gold Medal Design Candidates

Late last month, the United States Mint released the design candidates for the upcoming Congressional Gold Medal honoring professional golfer and philanthropist Jack Nicklaus. The candidates were reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) who each offered their recommendations.

The Congressional Gold Medal was authorized to be awarded to Jack Nicklaus under Public Law 113-210 in recognition of his service to the Nation in promoting excellence, good sportsmanship, and philanthropy.

Jack Nicklaus will be the seventh professional athlete to have received the Congressional Gold Medal. This category has been disproportionately represented by professional golfers. The recipients have included boxer Joe Louis, track and field Olympic champion Jesse Owens, two baseball players Roberto Clemente and Jackie Robinson, and three golfers Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, and now Jack Nicklaus.

The US Mint released the following five obverse design candidates and four reverse design candidates.

o-1 o-2 o-3 16326122415_4aa63fd64b_k o-5 r-1 r-2 r-3 r-4

The Commission of Fine Arts recommended obverse #4 as the best portrait, which was also the candidate preferred by Mr. Nicklaus. They supported the idea of adding some depiction of a golf course landscape in the background as included in obverse #2. For the reverse, the CFA recommended candidate #2, which was also the candidate preferred by Mr. Nicklaus.

The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee also supported obverse #4 and reverse #2.

Other US Mint News

In other news, the United States Mint has released the coin images for the upcoming 2015 March of Dimes Commemorative Silver Dollar. The coins are scheduled to be released on March 13, 2015 to mark the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the foundation.

The obverse design features profile portraits of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk, two leaders in the fight against polio. The reverse features a depiction of a baby cuddled in the hand of a parent, representing the foundation’s dedication to the health of babies everywhere.

Separately, the US Mint has finally provided a release date for the 2014 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. This set will contain the 2014-W Proof Silver Eagle along with the 2014-dated 90% silver proof dime, quarters, and half dollar. Previous Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets have been carried a product limit of 50,000 units.

The sets are scheduled for release on March 17, 2015. Late last year, the US Mint had confirmed that the coins for the set had been produced, but delays in packaging would push the release date into early 2015.

1. cagcrisp says

I may or may not share his opinions on various subjects but I do agree with Most of what he alludes to in this article. How does this concern MNB? World economy. USD strength will Eventually get to Gold and Silver IF the USD continues to strengthen. Personnally I think Gold is Overpriced at this point. Deflation in some countries and dis-inflation in the US. The only reason I see Gold holding current levels is a currency play. What will happen to Greece and if a worse case scenario , what happens to the EU and EURO? Deflation and dis-inflation are harder to stop than inflation…

2. Bernie in FL says

What cartoon artists do they have over there at the Mint? I’ve watch this man all my life and this Looks Nothing Like Jack Nicklaus.

Bernie…I thought much the same thing you did. I’m not sure why they chose to make the Medal and use images that look nothing like the past or present Jack. Whats the point…do they not even have a photo to reference?

4. CasualCollector says

@Bernie in FL
    maybe #3 looks like a younger Nicklaus

I see Bruce Jenner in some of the others (obviously before he goes through his “transformation”)

5. Ralph says

Not 04
    Not 05
    Yikes, can you say UGLY!

They are all really bad, but I guess I’d have to go with 01 as the best.

6. Tinto says

@Bernie in FL

Par for the course for the Mint folks that also gave us the Rumsfeld dollar recently …

7. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Personally, I feel that the silver .10 Cent-W will make it hard to justify the purchase price of the MoD Special Set, limited mintage or not.

I guess if I collected FDR dimes it would be a “must have” though if the set contains a $1 MoD Comm, a RP .10c and a Silver .10c – I put the set around $69-$75 for starters.

But 1) we have no idea what the price of the set will be at this point or when it is coming out
    and 2) it will have the first and so far only reverse proof dime. I am in for one for sure as long as the price
    is not too high.

9. Keep Calm & Stack On says

’14 LESPS Pricing, here’s some speculating.., $139.95. The $4 decrease from the Proof ASE will be offset from higher “packaging cost” If not, guess that puts us at $135.95 which is still too richly priced for me, limited or not. It’s another expense I can strike from this year’s budget.

10. Keep Calm & Stack On says

That’s why it’s fun to speculate, to see the realm of possibilities of thought out here on MNB, so what do you say Louis on #1 & #2?

a $1 MoD Comm, a RP .10c and a Silver .10c – how much is too much on the price?

11. Keep Calm & Stack On says

If the mint goes down the Reverse Proof road with the sets in 2015, that would take a lot of fun out of it. So the ’15 10c-W would really be unique to the FDR dime, right? Thinking out loud here…

I’ve purchased the last couple of LE sets and I am not sure I’ll buy this one. The packaging delays are something the mint has to deal with. They have got to find a local packager or they can start to count on lost sales. Importing packaging that is timely is one thing – but they have consistently been buying from a bad source and not meeting commitments of demand. I suspect the LE will be lucky to reach 25,000 in sales, it is so last years product.

13. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Some of you all must have had too much beer last night.., kind of dead today…

14. Keep Calm & Stack On says

My coins in my 2012 LESPS are turning a profound yellow, from the rim and moving inwards.., I presume from the ink or card board.

The ASE in my ’13 LESPS is toning a dingy tan around the rim already. Presume again from a less than perfect seal on the capsule(?) – hate to see the investment corrode like it’s doing. If it keeps up, the only thing to do with it is run a .99 cent auction with photos of the set.

I just got my Marshals coins. The silver proof is quite nice – although the silhouette horses on the obverse are lacking something. The reverse is just as nice as expected.

16. Keep Calm & Stack On says

cag – should you stumble across an link for this month’s USM Board meeting, would you post it please, I’d like to read how they perceive the sales and product availability is going (or not going). This group really seems squared away, too bad their coins aren’t up for sale.

17. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, I spoke to a representative of Rep Steve Womack (R) Arkansas this morning. I really don’t want to repeat what all was said, however, the jest of the conversation was that HE was satisfied that the museum received over $1 million from sales for Day 1. IT SEEMS that they are Under the Impression that $1 million out of Possible $5 million is ON COURSE. So the rep for Rep Steve Womack said “Demand was greater than we thought”.

SO….from a Political Spin……….They are Happy Happy Happy that Demand is greater than they anticipated and that the Marshal coins Raised over $1 million in First Day Sales…

I think as Louis has mentioned before, That is a Glass Half Full Approach…

18. Larry says

The 2014 LESPS is hard to justify buying. You can still buy the 2014 silver proof set and 2014 proof silver eagle from the mint for about $40 less than the LESPS will most likely cost. And you get all the rest of the coins in the silver proof set. So unless the mint pulls off one of their surprises and puts something special in the LESPS, what reason is there to get one, other than the packaging? What reason has there ever been? This is one I have never understood. It wouldn’t be too hard to understand if you could no longer get the 2014 silver proof set and 2014 proof silver eagle, but you can. Maybe I could understand it if it was in the red oak presentation case!

19. jeff says

The mint must be a great place to work. Because they don’t strike any metal as we can tell with the marshals. Clads are available lol

20. Keep Calm & Stack On says

cag – that’s quite interesting (your conversation), thanks for sharing. Hope it works out for them, though I suspect they’ll get a lesson in the momentum life cycle of these coins in due time.

Yeah, jeffcoins always gets his first, that’s A LOT of work selling individuals like that.., a full time job!

21. Keep Calm & Stack On says

You guys with a box of USM $1 PRFs could sell out at $84.50. Buy one from the proceeds of two.

I have stopped trying to pick these designs.

KCSO~ That was not at all funny mister.

Louis~ Yes, firsts are nice.

23. Larry says

Silver Proof Marshal was listed as Backorder this AM, now out of stock again. This is just ridiculous.

24. Ikaika says

It would be great if Michael or Louis found out what the heck is going on with the US mint’s website. What is causing this “bipolar disorder” on the ordering system. The more they provide explanations regarding the Out of Stock and Backordered status, the more I get confused. Goodness gracious!

25. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Ikaika – think you’re dead on WRT to the gold JFK. While I too appreciate and am impressed with how the coin turned out, there’s no denying that it is WAY over sold; the question that should be on our mind is – to what extent do people have multiples of, and how bad are they wanting to unload when the opportunity permits.
    As a few wise souls out here have commented numerous times, buy the coin…, ’cause you like it and for your collection.

26. GoldFishin says

O-1 looks like Johnny Miller, O-5 looks like Arnold Palmer. Only O-2 and O-3 look like Jack, so I would pick O-2. O-3 looks a little too much like Bruce Jenner without the dress. I think I would pass on that one also. Non starter.

27. jeff says

Can’t believe there’s no mention on the coin of the GOLDEN BEAR . That alone speaks volumes how uninformed these artists are, for get about E Pluribus Unum where’s the damn Golden Bear..lol

28. Keep Calm & Stack On says

I forget who commented that they’re still waiting on their last week order to ship – seems you’re not alone…

Here’s my 12:01 am order with a 30 Jan ship date:

Label Created On: 01/30/2015 – A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status–including the scheduled delivery date–will be updated.

So it hasn’t even shipped yet; this is for a 12:01 order for a 3-coin set.

Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk look like they are staring hungrily at that waiter serving up some fresh newborn in that side by side reverse/obverse. Sure wish they went with the Mercury design. IMO it’s all right, nothing to make me go wow, awesome.

Even though sports fans might be a big draw for some of these medals. I can’t get into them. If I were getting paid big bucks for playing a game I liked, I’d surely be donating some of that money to charity as well. Not saying these folks aren’t generous, but I’m sure they took the tax write-offs. Jesse Owens is probably, IMO, the most deserving. I’d prefer if large donations weren’t involved and they were issued more on an act of charity.

30. jeff says

VA Bob say, you don’t mean tax evasionist these criminals call themselves AMERICANS while stealing money through loop holes . Real Americans support those in need not steal from AMEICA

I do not plan to get any more LESPS’s- I was a skeptic about these from the get go and the packaging is a nightmare. You can tie a yellow ribbon on it or whatever, but a pig is still a pig even with lipstick!
    As for reverse proofs, the idea for a 2015 set was just something that was talked about, and I highly doubt there
    will be one this year, which is why I said the dime would be unique or at least a first.

Jeff – I don’t have intimate knowledge of their finances to make that claim, but my guess is there are bigger hearts with not so deep pockets that will never get the recognition they deserve.

33. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Louis – Lots of things are proposed, discussed, whatever, but actually being issued is another matter.

And then getting the item available for purchase AND shipped.., well that is another entirely different matter… just got off the phone with CS, couldn’t even tell me whether it would ship or has been picked up by UPS, just that a shipping label has been created. Whatever.., maybe a coin ETF that comes with a hi-res photo would be the way to go

34. Pool Shark says

As an avid golfer who came of age when Jack was winning everything in sight; I followed his career pretty closely. I bought his books, watched every tournament I could on TV, and tried to model my swing after his.

The only one of these images that even remotely resembles Jack is #04. That’s somewhat close to how he looked in the mid to late 70’s; when he was at the top of his game.

Jack was a true gentleman; he epitomized everything that made the game of golf different from other sports.
    In what other sport do you assess your own penalties? Could you imagine players in the NBA calling fouls on themselves?

That’s what made the game of golf (at least until recently) a gentleman’s sport: your honor counted more than winning any particular round.

Jack has given so much to the game. I realize it means nothing to non-golfers, but it’s great to see Jack honored for his contributions.

So now…following the tax laws as defined means you are a tax evader? Jeff many of us use whatever loopholes there are when filling our taxes. I’m sure you just use the 1040ez and call it a day.

The fact is our government is now trying to find ways to milk every penny they can from me and you – so they can create more share the wealth programs and give our money to someone else. 50 years of sanctions “failed” against Cuba has the feds throwing in the towel – 50 years of welfare – has us increasing funding even as the welfare roles expand.

I couldn’t care less what Jack does with his money – it is none of my business nor should it be anyone’s, except in today’s in your face society – everyone thinks everyone else owes them something.If our government would figure out how to manage money – they’d have plenty.

36. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- I have been an ebayer a long time and I don’t know how you find out the sales price when a best offer has been accepted and they don’t show it anywhere. Could you tell me how you find out the final price. Thanks.

Also, my label for my USM order was created on 1-30 also to be shipped by USPS to my PO Box. It just hit the tracking with arrival in Memphis. I imagine yours will also go out today, maybe hasn’t hit the tracking update yet.

37. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – you’re like one of my mentors, my sensei, out here on MNB, why I’d be honored! 🙂
    Go to watchcount . com, enter the fleabay item #, it’ll then show it as Sold as Best Offer – click on (also check price here on eBay) – Whalaa! Great little trick for great intel!

Bernie in FL says
    FEBRUARY 2, 2015 AT 12:40 PM

It’s the HSN guy! LMAO

Larry says
    FEBRUARY 2, 2015 AT 5:58 PM

I think they are testing a Mint to order format and figure out who are dealers/flippers and who are regular joe’s and create a database..Makes sense for future offerings and what they might be doing to avoid over/under production costs..The stuff is for the most part precious metal, it melts very easily but is IS a hassle to transform it again into mintable coins…

40. GoldFishin says

@KCSO-thanks, that is so cool…could have bought something I was looking at last week and didn’t know it. Handy little tool!!

KCSO….thanks for the info on watchcount…very useful. Up until a couple of years ago, ebay would show what the “best offer accepted” price was, and I missed it, so thanks again!!

VA Bob~ I just laughed and felt sick to my stomach at the same time. That was really bad..

43. Tim K says

Like I said, I’ve seen better coin design in 3rd world countries. It’s embarrassing for me as an American, that this crap represents “me” and “my country”.

44. MK says

Boy am I a dummy. I paid for standard shipping on the three coin sets that I ordered 12:04p, and fedex economy shipping on a silver order at 12:23p. The second ordered actually shipped on Friday, and the mint did the fake “shipped” status on the first order on Friday as well. Now both orders are scheduled to arrive on the same day (Weds). Nothing irritates me more than when companies label an item shipped, even though they’ve just created a label and the product is still sitting. Live and learn I guess…

45. Ikaika says

My Marshal proof set was delivered 30 min ago. These are great looking coins. Mint did an excellent job using the different strikes 🙂

Pool Shark,
    You gave a nice tribute to Jack, but you didn’t mention if you’re in for a medal or two. Come on, don’t leave us hanging.

47. cagcrisp says

Order #1 has now “Arrived at USPS Origin Facility ” in Memphis. Current ETA is Wednesday. Shipping label was created 01/30. Order #2 arrived 2 hours ago…

Dusty – Yeah, that might have been over the top a bit, I admit, but who holds a baby like that? It looks like a waiter showing a steak at a fancy restaurant before they grill it up.

I’m trying to figure out why, every time I see your “handle”, I think of ready-to-assemble furniture that comes in cardboard boxes.

50. Keep Calm & Stack On says

OMG! LMAO, I think of the same thing. Every time I truck down I-95 towards Fredericksburg there’s this big yellow IKEA sign on the side of the road, so big a blind man couldn’t miss it.. & I think “how does Ikaika spell his handle?”

Sorry Ikaika, but hey, you’re thought of in a good light my friend! So, is that your name or a special meaning? I speak a little Japanese and thought there may be a connection there.

51. cagcrisp says

Order #2 that has been received that was not for me. I understand that the Reverse of the half is a LOT nicer than expected and that I will be Buying some more… I have yet to see the design…

52. Jerry Diekmann says

I’m not that much into professional sports, so I don’t quite know why professional sports athletes should be getting gold medals anyway. They have already made millions of dollars during their careers – maybe if they did something good for humanity with all their wealth then to receive recognition, but for just hitting or throwing or kicking a ball, which pretty much sums up all sports, not really. I realize that I’m probably in the minority here, and that’s OK – we’re all different – I just think sports gets way too much publicity – and taxpayer dollars for stadiums that most of us could never afford to pay for tickets and parking to attend a game. It’s getting to be like Disneyland – $500.00 for a family of four to enter the “magic”.

53. Jerry Diekmann says

KC&SO – Back in 1996 the Mint issued a 1996W clad dime for the 50th anniversary of the FDR dime in 1946. Back then it was included only in the 1996 uncirculated coin sets. Maybe that’s where they got the idea for a 1964-2014 JFK half dollar last year, but they really went big time by making it gold. Times have changed, and now everything is much more hyped and expensive, and that’s a shame.

54. Jerry Diekmann says

For the March of Dimes set, at least that have a portrait of FDR that looks like FDR. The FDR $1.00 coin looks nothing like FDR – how did that even get minted? What were they thinking? Show FDR as an older man, fine, show him with glasses, fine, but at least show him looking like FDR and not someone else! Ther Mint could have, and should have, done so much better. This coin was a dishonor to one of our truly great presidents.

In case you really want to add the gold Kennedy half to your collection, you can find some really sexy deals on eBay. Sold coins are going for around $1,000 – $1,160 with a few outliers. Not a bad deal!! I guess third party dealers are unloading their overstock….

56. Ralph says

Good morning everybody. My 2 3-coin set’s I ordered at 3:30 on 1/29 will arrive to me on Thursday.

57. Ralph says

Keep Calm & Stack On: Thanks for the tip about watchcount. I do remember when ebay listed the best offer price. Now they don’t. Maybe the same ebay employee who changed it now works for the Mint!

@Casual… I like the side by side. That one did capture face better…but then totally lost the arms. Jacks high hand finish on his swing is a trademark that gets lost with that image.

59. CasualCollector says

I agree about the lower arms in the portrait.. It’s almost like they wanted to show his entire face for the protrait (including his chin). But look how the artist got his fingers on his left hand — it looks pretty darn close to the picture on the left…

60. cagcrisp says

Both the Marshal Silvers: ” Back Order The expected in-stock date is Tue Feb 10 2015.”

Yesterday the expected in stock date on the Silver proof was 02/04 and Silver unc was 02/05

61. jeff says

Lets get the time line straight coins go on sale at a reduced price Jan. 29th at high noon, coins are out of stock on Jan.31st and will not be available for order until Feb. 10th a total of 11 days eclipse with no sale at the reduced price sad. so they don’t sell any coins lost revenue 10 less days to buy at reduced prices that’s a win, win for the museum what a bunch of jokesters ..

62. CasualCollector says

Thanks for that link on the error Sac. I was one person interested — but it’s already out of my range. Very nice coin and could be one-of-a-kind too (and certified as well). This is one of the cases where the TPG does come in handy — to make sure the error is legitimate…

63. stephen m says

@JagFan & CC, 4600.00 bid already! I need to get out and check my five put away Sacajawea enhanced coins for missing edge lettering. I know there are more, I can feel it.

64. A&L Futures says

@ JagFan

Yes — thanks for the link. It seems the price has jumped to $5,200.00.

I should run home and check mine as well.

65. Tinto says

Would this OOS/BO (body odor) crap for the USM have happened (so soon) if there had been HH order limits at least for a period of time like they used to in the past?

66. jeff says

Tinto short answer yep. I don’t see any being shipped before March even if they open the window. Watch

67. A&L Futures says

@ thePhelps,

Nope — my guy had me send his allotment (200 +) to one of the other TPGs. Don’t think it didn’t occur to me though…(ha ha ha)

so I think there should be a price reduction tomorrow on the out of stock gold Marshals since gold was around $1300 when they were released.

69. Jerry Diekmann says

Pool Shark – I think giving people the measles is the only thing that Disney doesn’t charge for.

70. Jerry Diekmann says

71. Jerry Diekmann says

Don’t want to sound cynical, but couldn’t a TPG grader receiving 200 at one time and finding one without edge lettering just replace that set with an ordinary set and sell it himself later? All legit – right Just like those 5 1913 Liberty head nickels!