2015-P Reverse Proof & 2015-W Proof Roosevelt Dime Images

The United States Mint has released high resolution images of the 2015-P Reverse Proof and 2015-W Proof Roosevelt Dimes, which will be included in the upcoming 2015 March of Dimes Special Set.

Preliminary details for the special set were first revealed on February 6. The on-sale date, pricing, product limit, and household ordering limit were confirmed late last week.

The set will contain the proof version of the 2015 March of Dimes Commemorative Silver Dollar along with two specially produced Roosevelt Dimes struck in 90% silver. A product limit of 75,000 units has been established and an ordering limit of 5 sets per household will be imposed. Sales will begin on Monday, May4, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET.

The sets will be priced at $61.95 each. This pricing is $10 greater than the regular price of the individual proof silver dollar.

The two dimes will each represent firsts for the series. The 2015-P Silver Reverse Proof Roosevelt Dime will be the first time that a coin of the series been produced with a reverse proof finish. The 2015-W Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime will represent the first time that the West Point Mint has struck a dime in proof format or 90% silver composition.

The high resolution images of the coins are included below. Click any image to enlarge.

2015_March of Dime_10c_Rpf_P_O2015_March of Dime_10c_Rpf_P_R2015_March of Dime_10c_Prf_P_O2015_March of Dime_10c_Prf_P_R

THIS design on a SE planchet would have been awesome and sold like hotcakes IMHO…Especially RP….

2. Larry says

I hope they limit it to one per customer, at least at first. With a limit of 75K, and since everyone knows about it, it should sell out pretty quickly, especially at only 62 bucks. Last year the mint had talked about a reverse proof set, I wonder if we will see it this year, since it is not in the product schedule.

3. Ends in Error says

The Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime has been available as part of the annual Silver Proof Set for a while now. Has anyone really noticed?

Certainly not me. I’ve never especially liked the Roosevelt design. Not even when they circulated as 90% Silver.

So do I think a reverse proof and a W mintmarked Dime with a 75,000 mintage will be worthwhile? Well at $5 each they certainly are priced well. Too bad that hideous $1 Commemorative has to come as part of the deal.

My guess will be a sellout in 1 day. The big buyers might grab the entire mintage in 3 hours so be quick or be gone. BUT ……… the OOS …. and the Sold Out games will come into play for sure.

This could drag out into a month or 2.

Let the games begin……………………………….

4. Ends in Error says

Oh this terrible game needs an error or two. Could we get a couple dimes without the mint marks, please?

And how about a $1 Coin with little horns on the babys head? That would be so cool.

I really like this set, and not because of the two dimes. I definitely plan to buy one or two for my collection.

I have seen photographs of the actual coins (I believe Coin World posted them). And the photos definitely are far superior than the enhanced images seen above.

6. John D Moore says

I am going to pass.The two dimes are not worth the 61.95.
    I do not care for the design of the dollar.

Hidalgo~ You and Brad are right, the Mints images do stand improvement. Honestly, I can’t tell if they’re photos or computer generated. I think the Mint uses these images because of the lack of variances from one to the next. That in itself insures no mistakes will arise with the images, just awfully bland.

I agree with you in that a dime -size canvass is not the best format to execute a reverse proof. A larger planchet would definitely have worked better to display the Roosevelt dime design in RP. It’ll be difficult to appreciate such a small RP without whipping out a magnifier.
    The best example of where a larger planchet enhanced the coin design has been the ATB pucks. They are impressively large, but they are still quarters.

fm~ Just read the story, it makes me think about the dangerous situations these people run into, now his family has only memories of him. I wish more people could stop making themselves the pinnacle of all they will ever be and remember that we all share this world.

Josie Wells?…. Don’t tell me his father didn’t like Clint Eastwood.

10. GoldFishin says

Thanks FMT for the link about the young man that died in the line of duty as a US Marshal. It is so sad that such an outstanding person with a great smile should die so young. My prayers go out to his loved ones. I wish more accolades were given to all the law enforcement personnel that try to keep us safe on a daily basis. They have an incredibly difficult job and most of them are worthy of our praise and gratitude.

Hawhster~ I believe that eventually, in the not too distant future we will get a RP 5 oz. puck.

Dusty…how about just a proof 5oz ATB… I wonder if they might consider doing that as the series closes.

13. GoldFishin says

@Dusty- first we need a proof 5 oz puck before we can get a RP, don’t we? I like the idea of ending the ASE design by producing a two coin set of a 5 oz Proof ASE and a 5 oz Reverse Proof ASE as the last offering of the series. Then on to a New design. One can always dream, right? 😉

14. Dave SW FL says

Buy the sets, sell the dollars, sell the packaging, keep & grade the dimes. Probably best preserved in NGC holders. Best flipped in PCGS holders graded 70 and sold ASAP in the AFTERMARKET.

15. Dave SW FL says

But I will be keeping all of mine. A must have for RP sets and Roosevelt dime sets.

GF- I like your idea for the 5 oz ASE’s, but as for changing the design the CCAC recommended changing the reverse for several years and came up with that great eagle design everyone likes that will be on the HR gold coin and silver medal this year but this Mint nixed the plan to change the ASE reverse.

17. Jerry Diekmann says

GoldFishin – About the young Marshal who was killed in the line of duty – you have expressed my feelings better than I could ever have done myself. Thank you, and thank you to all the law enforcement professionals who put their lives on the line every day to protect the rest of us from the bad guys.

18. Jerry Diekmann says

Louis – since the ASE first came out in 1986, I thought the reverse design was a poor replacement for A. Weinman’s beautiful reverse on the Walking Liberty half dollar. Almost 30 years later, I still have the same opinion. I think the current design is trite and it should have been replaced long, long ago with a reverse that actually looked like an eagle, not some bird that had been stamped to death by a heavy shield. And while I’m at it, IMO there were a lot of Mint engravers who did better work than Mercanti. His design for the 1991 Korea commem dollar in particular is terrible, but there are other mediocre designs by this artist.

Dave SW FL,
    Your way of thinking, that of needing the two dimes to complete sets, is exactly what the Mint is counting on to increase sales of a very lackluster commemorative. My only question is whether the packaging for the MOD sets will include a complimentary magnifier to actually see the RP and proof details on the dimes.

Jerry D.,
    Fortunately, the obverse of the ASE is beautiful, especially in proof and enhanced uncirculated. It is this side of the coin that is prominently displayed in the ASE blue boxed sets which have been produced by the Mint during the past few years. Unless the acrylic capsules are popped out of their holders, one never sees the reverse. I guess, for those who dislike the flip side, that’s a good thing.
    Jerry, just focus on the awesome walking Lady Liberty and ignore the reverse.

My whole family is law enforcement. It is just one of those things I grew up with, as a 5 year old waving goodbye and asking for the big blue light on top of the car to get turned on as the squad car pulled out of the driveway. Many memories, they put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Was very well said…

Now OFF T: Was over on the other side of the pond and if you stare at this coin for a bit, and I mean really stare at it, it becomes 3D and moves off the coin. Anyone else see what I mean>?

I am starting to feel ill and it could just be the cold medicine…Ha

22. D Rittenhouse says

Dustyroads wrote on
    MARCH 11, 2015 AT 6:43 PM

I guess it is entirely coincidental that the Mint, just today, published an article about the people responsible for those illustrations – AKA, the Graphics Branch.

23. BFN says

I must add my 2 cents regarding the dismal designs displayed on the 2015 ATB Silver Proof Quarters – particularly the Blue Ridge Parkway design.

As a resident of NC living adjacent to the Parkway, I was hoping that the insipid design selected, not with standing, the actual quarter produced might miraculously result in a gem akin to that on the reverse of the 2006 Nevada State Quarter. But alas that did not happen. Tragically, the Grandfather mountain portrayal offered a magnificent opportunity for the spectacular. Sadly, our Mint is stuck on stupid and needs to clean house before returning to avant-garde quality products.

24. Jerry Diekmann says

Hawkster – agreed – focus on the obverse of the ASE, yes! But why would the Mint pair such a beautiful obverse with such a pedestrian and seen-too-many-times spread-out eagle, when they already had the magnificent reverse that A. Weinman had already paired with the classic obverse? All I can say is that Mercanti didn’t come close to having the imagination or skills that Weinman did. Anyone comparing the two reverses would have to agree that the Weinman reverse is clearly superior to the pallid effort that Mercanti put forward. Mercanti reminds me a little of Longacre, Barber, and Sinnock – mint engravers who were really mediocre in their designs. I have never been able to tell if Liberty on the Barber coins is male or female, or some androgynous human being.

25. Jerry Diekmann says

fmtransmitter – I just don’t know why the Royal Mint can’t come up with better coins depicting Churchill. You probably have seen the crown they minted in 1965 at his death. That one is even worse than this one – it looks like he is dead. Weird-looking eyes. Even the Queen on the obverse looks better.

Obviously, the ASE is minted as a bullion coin and a collector coin. When the design was chosen in the mid 80’s, it almost seemed that the Mint married up the two versions by selecting a classic, collector obverse and a bullion-type quality reverse.

27. Gary not Dave says

Laura Lee: Kansas was all golden and smelled like sunshine.

Josey Wales: Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.

RIP Josie Wells

D Rittenhouse ~ The 5 member team does some nice work, although I think it would be nice to see an image of the coin I am considering buying in a real view way, not the kind of cookie cutter way they present them in the images. Thank you for the link. BTW, that is a coincidence.

29. Dave SW FL says

Thanks for the link to the quality pictures ( I think ) of the RP & PF dimes. I, for one, am psyched to get these. Would they look awesome on an ASE planchet or even a half dollar? Certainly!!! But we gotta take what they give us.
    The enhanced Sac was the big gift as far as I am concerned. Thanks again to MNBloggers for catching that one and sharing.

May 4 – 2016 is going to be a long wait!

30. gary says

Hi Jerry. I concur with you as to Mercanti’s overall skills as an artist-sculptor. The reverse of the ASE is a bland and boring design and is not representative of Mercanti’s best efforts on coin design. When the ASE and AGE were first conceived to be coined, many more design concepts from other artists should have been solicited for by the Mint for flagship coins in a new bullion series.
    The AGE is another example of an inferior reverse design. Though not designed by Mercanti, (it was Miley Busiek) it is a mediocre and awkward portrayal of a great concept of a family of eagles.

31. stephen m says

gary & Jerry, yes the reverse of both the silver and gold American Eagles could have been better. Could the reverses been better, yes. Could the reverses been any worst than they are, yes. Both designs we have, with the classic obverse, grow on me little by little as time goes by. Both are beautiful coins. I’m in for the MOD set.

32. gary says

@stephen… No argument from me as to the obverse designs of the ASE & AGE. As an artist-sculptor myself, I have always admired and been inspired by the works of Augustus Saint Gaudens and Adolph A. Weinman (and Anthony deFrancisci as well!)

33. jeff says

Oh great another poster that yelling a sellout. It’s been nearly 45 days bet many don’t even have them in hand . In regards to the dimes pathetic the mint will even throw you an oz of silver way to bundle crap. We can only hope hsn comes in and buys the entire lot of dimes if not these take months maybe year end to sell out another bust compliments of our mint.

34. jeff says

Come on blog help Dusty out buy the remaining 90 sets come on let’s go it’s a sellout waiting to happen let’s go, let’s go come on let Dusty be the one to make it official it’s a sellout it’s a sellout.

As a public service to MNB readers, are you willing to accept the role of the Marshals proof set countdown coordinator? It is a role that comes with much accountability, and not one to be taken lightly. You have our trust and excitement in this great endeavor.

36. cagcrisp says

@Dustyroads, Thanks for the heads up on the Marshals. With the drop in pricing Maybe this time the SO will Stick on the 3 coin set…

I’ve still got some Unc Golds to get but I’m still holding out for $1,100.00 Gold or at least under $1,150.00.

I Got All Year…I got All I needed of the 3 coin Marshal sets Day 1, Hour 1, Minute 1…

37. Jerry Diekmann says

Gary and Stephen – First of all, I am not an artist, but I think I can appreciate good art. The reverse of the ASE is mediocre to me. The reverse of the AGE is much better, but for the life of me I can’t get over how long the wings are on the male eagle that is coming in for a landing. He looks like a feathered pterodactyl. Neither reverses come evn close to reverses that Weinman (silver) and St. Gaudens (gold) designed. Maybe the Mint recognized that no one came close to the earlier artists in talents when they picked the obverses for the new bullion and collector PM coins back in 1986. If I remember correctly, James Baker was the Secretary of the Treasury under Reagan at that time. he did a creditable job of reversing inflation that had plagued the economy for almost ten years. Perhaps he was the person whyo decided on using the classic images for the obverses, or had some hand in promoting their use – I don’t really know. In any case, it’s time to replace the reverses for both coins. Next year would be good – the 30th anniversary of the coins.

38. cagcrisp says

Just got in 20 Unc Marshal clads. Can’t believe the Bad quality. There is Not a One that is worth keeping. I don’t have much luck with Anything coming out of the D Mint…

Yeah, sorry to hear about Josie Wells, my whole family was in law enforcement, my dad is a retired marshal. I am an ex-Army ranger (Vietnam), and my uncle is a retired coroner of Riverside Co, Calif.. Border patrol agents are targets as well as all security folks in the middle east.

I commented earlier on the 2 dime (3 coins set), in the offer they mailed me. The price is too high, I will pass. I actually like coins in aluminum-bronze BEST. Copper and bronze next, then stainless steel. Nickel and gold are low on my list. And chromium plated items are low too. I really like the warm glow of clean aluminum-bronze alloys. Sterling silver can be nice too. Hence, to me, GOLD coins are for investment only, they have no sentimental or alluring values beyond that to me.
    Gary – GSDykes

40. I started collecting yesterday says

Proof coins from W and P are pretty cool. I think I’ll try and get one of these sets. I’m not crazy about the dollar coin and probably wouldn’t be making space in my storage for it if it weren’t for this set.

41. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Yeah keep the dimes, and melt the silver dollar shape it into a bullet.
    heeeeeyyyy, Josie Wales