2015-W Uncirculated American Gold Eagle

Today, April 30, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2015-W Uncirculated $50 American Gold Eagle. This is the collectible uncirculated or “burnished” version of the coin, which typically experiences a much lower mintage compared to the bullion and proof versions.

2015-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle

The obverse design of the coin features the classic depiction of Lady Liberty by Augustus Saint Gaudens. Liberty is shown holding an olive branch and lit torch as she steps confidently forward against the backdrop of the rising sun and the US Capitol Building. The reverse design of the coin by Miley Busiek depicts a male bald eagle bringing an olive branch to a nest containing a female eagle and eaglets.

The 2015-W Uncirculated Gold Eagles are struck on specially burnished blanks and carry a finish similar to the bullion version. However, the coins are clearly differentiated by the appearance of the “W” mint mark on the obverse. The bullion version does not carry a mint mark. Each coin is struck in 22 karat gold and contains 1 troy ounce of gold content.

The initial pricing for the offering is $1,475.00 based on an average weekly gold price within the $1,150 to $1,199.99 range. The price of the coin may be adjusted weekly based on changes in the market price of gold. There are no mintage or household ordering limits in place.

The United States Mint first offered the burnished American Gold Eagles in 2006. That year, the three-coin 20th Anniversary American Gold Eagle Set contained a one ounce burnished coin. Later in the year, a full line of burnished Gold Eagles were offered across one ounce, one-half ounce, one-quarter ounce, and one-tenth ounce sizes, either individually or within a complete set. The same line up was offered the following two years in 2007 and 2008. The burnished Gold Eagles were not offered in 2009 and 2010. The offering was resumed in 2011, and has been offered each subsequent year in individual one ounce size only.

The recent issues have experienced low mintages within the context of other American Gold Eagles. The 2011-W burnished coin had a final mintage of 8,729, followed by the mintage low of 5,829 for the 2012-W. The 2013-W had a final mintage of 7,298. The 2014-W coin has been listed as “unavailable” on the US Mint’s website for many months after reaching sales of 7,902.

I am kind of surprised that we have new rlease today and no new thread covering it….

I stopped at UPS and picked up my Kisatchie pucks today… between these and the bullion ones – I might have gotten my best pairs so far.

Sith says
    MAY 4, 2015 AT 10:18 AM

@fmtransmitter – They are not rounds, they are a product of the Mexican Mint. If your looking at those you may want to look at the Mexican Pre-Columbian silver bullion. The proof, and some of the bullion mintages even put the proof libertads to shame. I just picked up a proof Pre-Columbian 1 oz silver coin for about $50. The mintage is 500 in proof, but more importantly it looks stunning. I also had to pay $95 for one because it was the key to my collection (not the series, as I don’t collect the series), its mintage was 1K.

Very nice Sith, sounds like a great collection and a challenge. What I feel this hobby is all about.

3. ABob says

Thanks Phelps I don’t know why I was thinking there was a three coin set. brain fart. Still want to see uncirculated coin and Salk medal set.

thePhelps~ You’re right about the higher quality of the AtB bullion’s, mine is in much better condition than the out house was. Missing are all the tolling marks than ran around the entire coin. I haven’t gotten my P puck yet that is on the sub list, I’m just farther away from the Mint distribution house, if fact, they often spend too much time between Dallas and Fort Worth and end up coming in a day or two late.
    Yeah, that is odd. I wish Michael still had it. I felt he put a great deal of passion into his work. I know he still writes, but I don’t believe he can exercise the same freedom he used to.

5. Barry says

@Goldfishin- Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a family issue for a couple days. Thank you for the reply. The Guardhouse capsule was labeled 39mm but, it fit a 38mm Canadian Maple Leaf coin. I bought a silver round ( Hercules _ Mares ) that they mint and they list it as 39 mm. The round didn’t fit the 39mm capsule. Their is an issue with the capsule ( labeling or Manufacture ),the round is a little oversized, Provident denies any error on their part and only said to order Airtite capsules on future orders.

6. rw says

I am torn between silver coins and silver bullion. What is the best bang for the buck?