Introductory Pricing for March of Dimes Commemorative Coins Ends April 13

march-of-dimesThe introductory pricing period for the 2015 March of Dimes Commemorative Coins will conclude next week on Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM ET.

The program includes proof and uncirculated silver dollars, which originally went on sale March 13, 2015. The obverse design features profile portraits of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk to represent the past of the foundation. The reverse features an image of a baby cuddled in the hand of a parent to represent the foundation’s current dedication to the health of babies everywhere.

Opening sales for the program had reached 24,057 units across proof and uncirculated versions, only accounting for 4.8% of the maximum authorized mintage of 500,000. The opening sales were slower compared to this year’s US Marshals Commemorative Silver Dollars, but stronger compared to last year’s Civil Rights Act Commemorative Silver Dollars.

According to the most recent sales report posted on Coin Update, sales for the March of Dimes Silver Dollars have now reached 37,721 proof and 16,562 uncirculated coins. This makes for a total of 54,283 across both versions, accounting for 10.9% of the maximum mintage.

The current introductory pricing for the coins is $46.95 for the proof version and $43.95 for the uncirculated version. After April 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM ET, pricing will be raised to $51.95 for the proof and $48.95 for the uncirculated.

The proof version of the coin will see a boost in demand on May 4, 2015 when a special set goes on sale. The set will contain the proof silver dollar along with two specially minted 90% silver Roosevelt Dimes. One dime will be struck with at the West Point Mint with a proof finish and the other will be struck at the Philadelphia Mint with a reverse proof finish. The special set will be priced at $61.95, with a product limit of 75,000 units and ordering limit of 5 sets per household.

1. MikeinPa says

sith-special set is a no brainer, small mintage, don’t believe you can lose on this one

2. Ends in Error says

If those Dimes could be had – separately. ….. But to be forced to buy that hideous $1 w/dead baby reverse……….

It’s a pass for me.

3. Brian says

I’m leaning towards jumping in on the special set too. However, is the rosie dime series even that collectible? I mean we’re into the 70th year of the series I believe. It is soooo long and there are no keys and most is clad. Maybe these two special set dimes will set the bar on the series though, it’ll definitely create keys if ever they were needed. But I wonder if current rosie dime collectors are completists!? Meaning they go for all the business strike, proof, and silver proof issues? Or I guess at least folks that collect just the silver issues. That is the sort of thing that would lead towards these two special dimes having long-term investment potential. Otherwise, they’re just kind of nice and shiny. What do others think?

4. Brian says

This Sunday am on the show, CBS Sunday Morning, they will have several coin-related segments including a look at the artists and engravers in Philly.

RE: CBS Sunday, maybe that Russian guy will tell us if he was under some kind of influence when he blessed us with the terrible FDR caricature…

7. Eddie says

Off topic but what do you keep your 5oz. Bullion pucks in? Do you keep them in a empty bullion tube or put them in artistes? If you put them in a airtite what do you keep them in? I don’t want to just stack the pucks on a shelf.

8. Mookie says

The special dimes are very nice. The Mint is smart enough to see that the ugly dollar coin isn’t going to sell so they juice up the sales with the special dimes. They would have done something if they could to juice up the ugly and PC Civil Rights coin too but they really had nothing pair with it. I guess we can be grateful that the Mint has not gone done the same road as Canada and issued a new coin every day for the most obscure reason.

9. MarkInFlorida says

Eddie, the airtites fit nicely in the blue monster box that the pucks are shipped in. I think that a full set of pucks will fit in a monster box. (There might be a few brands of airtites of which the big ones don’t all fit.)

10. bobo says

Unrelated, but I wonder if anyone else here has had a problem with the formation of unsightly orange toning on gold coins in PCGS slabs. I noticed orange spots on my 2011 first spouse MS70 coins in PCGS slabs, but not in NGC slabs, so did a search on the web and found this.!

Does anyone know what is causing this? Because it is splotchy I worry that it is going to lower the value of my coins. Has PCGS said anything about this? Is there something in their plastic that is being emitted and adhering to the surface of the gold coins? Since these are supposed to be .9999 gold, there should not be impurities like copper in the gold itself that leads to oxidation on the coin’s surface. Is there anything I can do about this? Mine are not as bad as the example at the bottom of that link, but they do seem to be getting more discolored with time. If this is PCGS’ fault because of some ‘exhaling’ polymer that they are using in their slabs, I think they should come clean and indemnify collectors whose coins may be declining in value because of this splotchy orangification. Any thoughts on what can be done to rehabilitate coins that are already splotched up? I have many gold coins in NGC slabs and none have this problem.

11. GoldFishin says

@bobo- I own both NGC and PCGS graded gold coins. I have never had toning problems with NGC slabs, but I do own a couple of classic gold coins that have darkened significantly that are slabbed by PCGS. They are not splotchy but toned like a copper penny would over time given exposure to the elements. There are a few folks that have posted on this site in the past that have declared relentlessly that PCGS dips all of their gold coins before encapsulation. I don’t know about that, but there is definitely a lot of evidence that there is some sort of problem. I have a couple of Gold Buffaloes slabbed PCGS that are fine, but I also use to own a MS70 FS UHR that had started to develop the brownish gold toning before I sold it. It was actually quite attractive the way it toned, but a 24K gold coin shouldn’t have toned at all in my opinion without some sort of chemical reaction with outside contaminants. I own many PCGS slabbed classic silver coins and have never had a problem with them. They are as nice as the day I purchased them. My advice would be when purchasing gold moderns in the future, either keep them in OGP or NGC graded slabs. Good Luck!!

I’m going to have to agree with GoldFisnin, OGP or NGC. PCGS used to be my TPG of choice, but I have noticed more of my coins toning or spotting in their slabs.

13. Jerry Diekmann says

Ends in Error – I think you may have been watching too many horror flicks. It is a newborn baby, sleeping, for God’s sakes! You were probably just like that baby some time ago.

14. Brian says

@Mookie – “ugly and PC Civil Rights coin”, really!? please, why don’t you tell all of us your opinion on it. I really want to know what you found so unappealing about the coin. And what is PC about it? Every single commemorative that honors a person could be said to be “PC”. Yes, it is politically (and socially) righteous to honor those that came before us who risked a lot so others could more fully pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Please elucidate your opinions rather than engage in thinly veiled rock throwing that could be misconstrued as bigotry!

Also, can someone please tell me what value there is in paying a premium to have have a modern coin professionally graded?

15. Jerry Diekmann says

Brian – I certainly agree with you that the baby is a sleeping infant. If the other person thought it was a joke, he needs to get his head examined, because if that is what comes to his mind when he sees a sleeping baby, then there is something very wrong with him; if he meant it as a joke, it’s crass – something that sounds like it would come out at a college fraternity party..

As for your other comments, IMO none of those “classic” commems comes even close to this commem. Maybe the Arkansas, but the others definitely not – all of them, IMO were poorly executed. And it is a reason to remember that not all coins that are old are really very well done. Not one coin, including the Morgan dollar, would be even close to the gold coins from 1907-08, the Lincoln cent of 1909, the Buffalo nickel of 1913, the dime, quarter, and half dollars introduced in 1916, the Peace dollar of 1921, and for the classic commems, the best by far is the Oregon Trail commem first minted in 1926. Again, IMO.

regarding the MOD coin and the baby- just to show you that there are serious collectors who like it and actually like it a lot take a look at this piece by Scott Barman, who writes the Coin Collector’s Blog, a well-regarded site, and ran for ANA governor a while back, who thinks this coin should be a Coin of the Year candidate:
    I don’t agree with his view, but I just wanted to point out that there are other views out there. To me it is not terrible, it is just mediocre. I am fine with putting a baby esp. given the topic, but I would have picked a better baby.

17. Brian says

Jerry – I totally agree the 2014 March of Dimes double profile obverse is definitely executed better artistically than most of those early commems. I just meant it was interesting to see a similar concept to what had been done in several of those early issues. Seems they were getting better as the years went on, in that I agree the Arkansas issue is probably the best of the bunch. I really like the Oregon Trail issue myself…hoping to pick one up at some point. It seems like it is high(er) relief. I like the idea of getting the 1933, one of only a few coins minted that year at all. I’m chuckling at your “college frat party” comment. Definitely.

Louis…I am with you. I don’t think this coin is terrible, and is much better than many of the recent offerings. That doesn’t make it a great coin, just not a bad coin.

Brian – Jerry… the classic commemoratives are just that “classic”. I have several of them, including the Oregon Trail. My favorite is actually the Pilgrim… it has a nice balanced Obverse and Reverse. Brian if you do get an Oregon…take your time and search for a good quality coin – the detail is worth the extra coin.

19. Tinto says

Dustyroads, Goldfishin, bobo

Would you know if the spotting is only limited to the gold in PCGS holders or does it also affect silver and other metals like nickel and copper?

20. Jerry Diekmann says

Brian – You know you are picking one of the most expensive of the Oregon Trail commem coins, which was issued now and then from 1926 to 1939. I really like that series and paid extra to get an uncirculated 1933D. It was the first commemorative coin to be struck at the Denver mint. It was also the first half dollar, circulating or commemorative, to be issued during the 1930s. The 1926 and 1926S coins are the most common and affordable of this longest series of commemoratives ever issued by the U.S. Mint. Also, this coin represents the teamwork of two of the greatest American sculptors at the time, James Earle Fraser and his wife Laura Gardin Fraser. Any coin they were involved in is superior to just about any other circulating or commemorative coin. In 1999 the Mint used Laura Gardin Fraser’s image of George Washington to mark the bicentennial of our first President’s death. Her work was not selected for the new quarter that was issued in 1932, the bicentennial of his birth, and we had to wait George’s lifetime (67 years) to finally get a better coin. Unfortunately, we’re still stuck with the inferior John Flanagan design.

21. Jerry Diekmann says

thePhelps – yes, the Pilgrim coin is one of the better designs of the classic commemorative period. It and the Lincoln?Illinois (1918), the Ofregon Trail commems (1926-1939) are really well designed. The California Diamond Jubilee (1925) and thje Connecticut Tercentary charter oak half dollar(1935), and the San Diego expositioin (1935-36) and the Iowa statehood (1946) are some of my favorites. Many of the coins in the 1920s and 1930s were poorly designed, but none comes close to the disaster that was the Washington-Carver set from the early 1950s that finally caused the Treasury to say “Enough!” and no more were struck until 1982. We should have had coins commemorative the centenary of the Civil War (1961-1965) and something better than the bicentennial circulating coins we got in 1975-76.

22. stephen m says

If the TPG could make a coin in their slab eventually tone ugly and or develop spots wouldn’t that be wonderful for the restoration end of their services. Money to be twice instead of only once. They do guarantee the grade but I don’t know about any guarantee against spots and ugly toning.

23. A Bob says

My vote for ugliest modern commemorative is… Civil Rights obverse. What a stinker. Someone and their commitee would have to work hard to produce a worse design. Good luck.

This MOD design is growing on me. I had the same reaction to the baby bald eagle design.

24. Mac in Ohio says

Brian, when Mookie (and the other “Mookies on this blog and in our country) use the term “PC”, they’re just using Fox shorthand for “that coin commemorates people (usually African Americans or women) that I don’t like and shouldn’t be honored”. Just garden variety bigotry. I’ve been a collector for going on 50 years, but I’m still amazed that our great hobby, which should be warm and welcoming to all, keeps letting folks like Mookie damage it.

25. Dave SW FL says

The Barman article linked says the proof will be a S mintmark. I thought it was to be a W mintmark coin. Can you confirm which it will be.
    If it is an S, then I am not so interested in the set.

26. Tinto says

@Stephen m

Do the TPG’s also give a numerical grade to the coins they restore them and without mentioning the restoration? I’ve seen slabs with “cleaned UNC” or something similar for a while .

27. ABC says

@Mac in Ohio,
    I agree. You should’ve been reading this blog back when Moy was director of the mint. A few select people here were blaming him for everything under the sun that they didn’t like. It got really ridiculous when the mint decided to change the outer packaging for the proof quarters sets. They didn’t complain about the designs of the quarters themselves, but the design of the outer cardboard packaging because it didn’t match up with the design of the previous years. All this because he wasn’t from the same race as they were. Now that we now have a white director, you aren’t going to see any of that anymore.

28. gary says

@Tinto… I do know that NGC has a service to clean up and restore modern coins and they do not indicate that this work was done on their holders.

29. ASE says

Mac & ABC

I happen to like the Civil Rights coin tremendously,
    and purchased the coins in both formats. The
    uncirculated coin in particular is one of my favorites.

Liberty is for ALL,
    not just the self-appointed, self-promoting
    few who view themselves as “select.”

My personal hero is Fred “Clever Fox” Begay,
    a Ute who learned English as an adult, and
    attained a PhD in Physics (a first).

I’m awaiting the day when a Native American is
    elected President of the U.S. It would be a day of
    Justice and truth fulfilled.

Tinto~ I’ve personally not had a problem with gold in the PCGS, just the silver toning and spotting. Come to think of it, I did have a 2008 1/4 oz. gold commemorative slabbed by PCGS that I sold a few years ago that did have some slight toning.

Dave SW FL~ Good news, the proof Roosevelt dime being released in the May 4th MoD set will minted at West Point, not San Francisco. The RP dime will come from Philly.

31. bobo says

Good advice GoldFishin, thanks. I will stick with OGP or NGC slabs from now on since this appears to be a common problem the more I research it. I had been paying a premium for PCGS slabs, but the risk is not worth it if there is this discoloration problem. If it were something about impurities in the metal, you would expect to see it as often in NGC slabs, but I don’t. Others agree or not? So it must be something that the PCGS plastic is emitting that the NGC plastic is not. Are there any chemists out there with better ideas why this might be happening? Here are a couple of examples of the kind of orange splotches I am talking about from current ebay offers:

Let me add that not all the gold coins I have in PCGS slabs show this problem. It is just that the only ones that do show orange splotching, or just overall darkening are in PCGS slabs. That said, other people seem to think it is due to copper in the gold. For example, people on this thread argued that:

But in the case of first spouse coins, aren’t they supposed to be .9999 gold? Hard to believe that one ten thousandth copper could cause so much discoloration.

Based on my small sample, I would guess that it was a PCGS polymer problem until 2012. Either they changed the plastic to deal with this problem and are not owning up, or else the more recent ones have not yet had a chance to splotch up. Time will tell.

@ASE – the 2014 Civil Rights Coin has a lot of significance to me. It is a fantastic companion to the 50th anniversary Kennedy half dollar offerings. I can still remember the day when, as a child, I read the news of Kennedy’s assassination. And I recall the shock Americans felt when Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated as well. Those were turbulent times. ….

ABC says- All this because he wasn’t from the same race as they were. Now that we now have a white director, you aren’t going to see any of that anymore.

That’s your point of view, I have read good things here about Moy. For instance, it’s been said here that if it had not had been for Moy’s “love for numismatics”, we would not have had the 2009 gold UHR. Not all white people are as bad as the statement above suggests. Many people contemplate their mortality and learn how to put others first before them, even whites.

34. Barry says

my experience with the ” Civil Rights Act ” has been reverse discrimination regarding past employment decisions, but, it is not just me but, many others as well. So the law’s intention had some positives and negatives. Even today diversity programs exist in corporations and imo they are nothing but bean counters required for reporting numbers to the govt. .. For me the CRA has been negative so I have no interest in the coin. nor do I have any complaints. about the coin or who is depicted on it.

35. Sith says

@Louis I read the article, the least amount of time was dedicated to the actual coin. In fact it was just two lines

“The obverse of the commemorative dollar honors the impact of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk on the March of Dimes.” and “Designed and engraved by Don Everhart, the reverse shows a sleeping infant cuddled in its parent’s hand. It is a simple yet powerful image that is very compelling.”

I guess that is not much more you can say about the coin, but as the rest of the article was about the organization’s fine work IMHO I think the author has confused the work\impact of the organization with the actual coin. IE I like the organization so the coin is magnificent.

As far as the Civil Rights coin it may have significances to some of those that lived through the events but obviously not to too many of them as it did not find a collector base. I did not buy one because like a lot of others I thought (after research prompted by posts here) they should have used the liberty bell design. The Civil Rights Bill ultimately was about liberty not protests.

36. Sith says

Just in case it needs clarification:

You could commemorate the end of WWII by showing a nuclear explosion, but most people associate it with the picture of the sailor and nurse kissing in Times Square. I think the same analogy could be held for the unpopularity of the Civil Rights Coin.

Sith… you summed up the Civil Rights coin as I see it. The mint decided the protests were the need for a coin and not the bill authorizing civil rights to all. Which is what the coin was supposed to be celebrating.

38. ASE says

Quite Misanthropic !

We are talking about HUMAN BEINGS HERE WITH SOULS !

God Bless You ALL +

39. A Bob says

The civil rights movement was worthy of commemoration but the design of the coin hurt the sales. I would display it reverse side up.
    Are there only two approved themes upcoming? I can think or 2016 Twain and 2017 Boystown.

ASE…we are talking about coins. How you can perceive that as misanthropic is beyond me. We are talking coins with silver and gold and the designs – good or bad. That doesn’t cross over into the dislike of humans – unless you already have predisposition to believe it does.

41. Brian says

@2cents – want to see a “terrible FDR caricature”, this is the one:
    the current March of Dimes commem is head and shoulders better.

@Jerry – yes, the ’33 Oregon Trail is more expensive, seems worth it for that unique year and distinction for Denver Mint Commem. Not sure when I’ll pull the trigger on a purchase, but I’ve been keeping my eye out for that special coin. Interesting you mention the CT Charter Oak, that is likely number 2 on my early commem want list. Also, I had come across a brief mention here ( about LGF’s Washington design being passed over in 1932 due to her being a woman. Sad.

@Sith – If we re-visit the Civil Rights Act commem candidate designs selected by the CFA (ultimately selected obverse) and CCAC, we’ll see that the more popular CCAC “liberty bell” design actually “depicts the March on Washington inside a silhouette of the Liberty Bell”.
    I really have to disagree with your comment “The Civil Rights Bill ultimately was about liberty not protests.” The Civil Rights Act came to fruition in primarily due to the civil rights protest movement! That is, Americans demanding Liberty for All! These Act was the result of the efforts by everyday Americans. So what do we celebrate, the Act itself; or the blood, sweat, and tears endured to make it happen? So I think both final design candidates really celebrate the efforts of those “boots on the ground” so to speak. I do like the liberty bell design better, but only because it seems that time and time again the US Mint produces less than stellar representations of people (the 2015 March of Dimes a rare exception). For example, I thought Jackie Robinson’s face was really messed up looking on that $5 gold. Compare:

@Mac in Ohio – well said! thank you!

@A Bob – upcoming commems programs can be found here:
    2016 – Mark Twain
    2016 – National Park
    2017 – Lions Club
    2018 – WWI Veterans

Brian – your portrayal of the efforts to get the CRA passed isn’t wrong. The problem many of us had with the coin, was it ended up being what you write, and doesn’t actually follow the reason the coin was made. The coin was to celebrate the laws passage in 1964. That was why many of us believed the best choice would have been the Liberty Bell design – since it signified and celebrated the end of the protests. Instead we have a coin that portrays the protests – prior to the law.

43. stephen m says

Tinto, I don’t know what the label reads on a slabbed restoration coin by the TPG’s. I haven’t seen any of their restoration work done on slabbed coins. It’s an interesting question though. Maybe somebody here has used this service and will be able to shed some light on that for us.

@Brian, Thanks for the reminder of that commem’ for FDR in ’97. That was taken from a photo of FDR during his last days alive, maybe not the best choice, but, at least I can tell that is him. The 2014 Presidential dollar on the other hand looks nothing like FDR. Many people on this blog have said it looks more like Donald Rumsfeld and I agree…

45. A Bob says

Thanks Brian. The liberty bell design would have sold better to the coin collectors. Sigh
    Maybe we will see the national park design candidates soon. I hope to see a grizzly bear.

46. GoldFishin says

@tinto, stephen m. – I know firsthand that NGC does not give a special label to conserved/restored coins as long as the coin just needed to be restored and has no prior issues. If the coin had prior issues they will slab it with details grading if you choose to have it graded. I own I couple of conserved coins and there is nothing on the label or in ngc records that says it was conserved. I am confident that PCGS works the same way, although I have no personal experience with them.

From NCS website – “As always, all coins requiring conservation must be sent to NCS on an NCS Submission Form. After conservation, coins can be seamlessly transported to NGC for certification. It is not necessary to send coins with surface impairments to NCS for encapsulation only. Instead, they can be submitted to NGC directly. Coins will then automatically be graded either numerically (if they have acceptable surfaces) or with Details Grading, at the discretion of NGC’s grading team.”

Use this link to find out all you need to know about NCS conservation services, which is a subsidiary of NGC. Utilize the different tabs at the top of the page to see how the entire process works.

47. GoldFishin says

@tinto, stephen m. – Here is a link from PCGS’s website which details how their process workd for restorative services. It is noteworthy to remember that these services cannot restore coins that have been damaged/improperly cleaned etc. and make them magically ok. They simply endeavor to restore coins as close to their original condition as possible. If the coins that a person submits can’t be restored and receive a Numerical Grade they can choose to not have the coins holdered, otherwise they will be holdered as genuine with details .

48. Eddie says

I wished Liberty Bell design could be used on some other coin. Mainly because it is a very good design and would be a shame to not to be able to use it on a different coin.

49. jhawk92 says

Off topic….

Count me in as one of the very unhappy people over the new Mint distributor and how lousy they pack in the shipping box. Finally had a chance to make it to UPS to pick up my recent order with a variety of items. Got home, opened it up, and had the wonderful brown papers helping to “fill” the space. Pulled those out and what did I find but one of my uncirc (burnished) ASE’s sliding around in the box, with its gift box open, and the top half of the capsule also sliding around. 🙁 Most displeased for sure. I need to look at it under good light and my loupe to see if I can find any scratches. If I do, it is most certainly going back, and I’ll put in another order.

I would almost rather have had them ship items in two boxes, so the silver and gold coins I ordered were better protected. How long is this contract good for?

50. Sith says

@Brian – We celebrate the act itself, and based on sales I’m not alone in that assessment. IMHO if you wanted to celebrate the boots on the ground then a coin that celebrated lets say the 50th anniversary of the March on Selma should have been designed…

51. Ryan DeWald says

Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking here for a while and have learned much from the conversation. I’ve been collecting coins by sifting through pocket change since 1982 and, as my means have increased, I have been able to expand my collections into U.S. Mint offerings. Gold is over my head, but I can swing the annual sets and silver offerings.

Last year was the first year I bought commems direct from the mint. Missed out on the BHOF but I think I like the theme of the CRA more than any other commem I have seen. The Civil Rights Act is about Americans standing up for their liberty. “The tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots from time-to-time.” – Thomas Jefferson. And it is that sacrifice that the CRA coin commemorates. That said, the ‘protest” depicted on the coin is about as banal and devoid of emotion as one can make a protest scene. If anything is P.C. about the coin, it is this.

I don’t know whether to be sad that no one wanted a CRA commem, or to be stoked that I own such a low mintage coin, but these two (pr. and unc.) I will be proud to pass down to my grandchildren.

Anyway, I like you guys, thanks for all the expert knowledge.

52. jeff says

Haha dead baby I concur this coin is not for me even if it was less than 50k ya ‘ ll jump on it oh and who can forget the hideous silver dollar. Happy pickins.

jhawk92~ I feel for you, and agree that whoever or whatever is packaging our valued goods don’t seem to care about the quality or service one iota. There are Pinatas packaged better in Mejico.

Please…please US Mint, crack the whip already!

54. Ends in Error says

This $1 Coin might actually be a tribute to the practice of “post mortem” photography, which seemed to be widespread in the late 1800’s. It seems that photography wasn’t a very common thing for most citizens. However, upon the death of a family member , the opportunity to capture a last image was often taken . Post Mortem Photography was a skilled art for some Photograpers , they arranged supports that made the deceased subjects appear as still alive. Many times however, the subject appeared to be asleep. In numerous cases, the Post Mortem was the only image ever taken of the departed family members.

55. Dave SW FL says

I concur with the shipping analysis…..I just had to send back my second Proof Marshal SD because the plastic lens inside the display box was cracked open with several chips of plastic all over the box. There was one piece of filler paper in the shipping box, but the product was rattling all over the place prior to opening.

So the new guys either pack a box so tightly you can’t get the product out, or so loosely the product gets damaged. Should have visited the previous shipper for lessons before taking over!

56. Dave SW FL says

JHawk that is! I hate this A. I. that thinks it knows more than the typist. The machines are trying to take over ( already succeeded in the stock market!)

JHawk…your experience is about like my last few shipments. Lots of packaging sitting on top of my coins – nothing beneath them, and the coins rattling around in the bottom of the box.

While the last shipper was slow compared to these guys, they actually preserved the items they were shipping.

Looking back to last year prior to the change – I recall several surveys asking about the quality of shipping – including box sizes and packing. I ranked all of those fairly high with the previous shipping company. I have yet to see a survey since they changed companies asking those questions – if I do they will get hammered for poor quality.

58. bobo says

I have to agree about the poor shipping. I ordered several Eleanor Roosevelt unc first spouse coins toward the end of 2014, and half of them were out of their slots bouncing around, though still inside the capsules. I could not see scratches so decided to keep them. But I don’t think sloppy packing is a new problem. I ordered four of the unc Macarthur commemorative quarter ounce gold coins, three of which arrived in mid Dec. 2013 with the capsule lids entirely off! I suspected that they were someone else’s returns who had opened them to inspect them, then failed to reattach the lids carefully. They all had scratches. So I sent all four back with a strongly worded paper letter, complaining both about the sloppy shipping, and saying how their policy of sending out other people’s returns hurts the little guy, because the big guys can order 200, inspect them, and ship back 150 that won’t be MS70s. I suggested that they find some way to disincentivize that strategy, or at least indicate when a coin is someone else’s return. Anyway, then there was a sudden sell-out of the Macarthurs so I was never able to replace them. Boy was I mad, since that ended up being such a low mintage issue.

59. Dave SW FL says

The problem with those surveys is they ask you to chose which is most important. Well, of course the actual product must be MOST important- DOH! On the other hand, it shouldn’t take a genius to realize that faulty packing can ruin the product.
    Come on, mint. You have a monopoly. You can price as you wish. So why are not ALL aspects of your business equally important? How about all around quality? Quit wasting money on surveys and spend some time managing your employees and the processes they use?

60. Ends in Error says

Let’s begin a letter writing campaign to that shipping firm. Keep it nice, but point out that coin collectors are very sensitive to marks and damage to both the Coin Packaging and especially the Coins themselves. Ask them to please instruct their employees to pack the Mint products carefully.

I too have received poorly packed items. Guess I need to write a few letters.

61. stephen m says

GoldFishin, Thank you for the two top TPG’s restorative information and links. I’ve never sent a coin to be graded but it never hurts to know the deal for their restorative services.

62. Jerry Diekmann says

The CRA coin is still getting a lot of posts, some positive and some negative, and both points are correct, IMO. I think the law should be remembered for the good it tried to accomplish, but the protest signs were not the best way to show off he coin or the law. The liberty bell presentation would have been a winner and many more would have been sold if that theme had been used instead. All of us who are middle-age adults should be acutely aware of the civil rights protests that convulsed this country in the 1950s to the 1970s.

As for other coins with good intentions that misfired badly when it came to designs, I would add the 1991 Korea, the 1991 USO, the 1994 World Cup, the 1995 Special Olympics, the 1997 Jackie Robinson and JFK gold coins, the 2013 Girl Scouts, and the 2014 Civil Rights Act coins. Also, we should not forget that many of the commemorative coins from the 1920s and 1930s were unnecessary, told no story, and many of them suffered with complicated and or hideous designs.

63. Mike says

All the old, white, bigot’s get their panties in a bundle every time they’re is a coin that depicts the civil rights movement or God forbid a coin depicting someone who might look like an African-American (and a woman to boot!).

I’d love to see the looks on your faces when they put Obama on a coin; but that demographic will probably be extinct by then.

From an speculative standpoint the smart money is on coins that celebrate and depict the current minorities; as one day they will be the majority of coin collectors who demand these coins with low supply.

Just my two cents 🙂