March 2015 US Mint Circulating Coin Production

kennedyThe United States Mint has provided updated circulating coin production figures through the month of March 2015. For the third month in a row, the monthly production total surpassed one billion coins.

For the month of March 2015, the US Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver struck just over 1.4 billion circulating quality coins across five denominations. The figure was up from the prior month when production had reached 1.28 billion and also up from the prior year period of March 2014 when production was 1.03 billion pieces.

The table below shows the break down of circulating coin production for each denomination at each mint facility for March 2015.

2015 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 2.30 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0.14 M 2.24 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 2.80 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 4.20 M 10.92 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 4.90 M 20.86 M
Total 1,403.44 M 4,220.58 M

With 792.8 million pieces struck across both mint facilities, the cent accounted for 56.5% of overall circulating coin production during the month. Although the cost to produce and distribute the cent still exceeds its face value, the cost has declined for three consecutive years.

The next most produced denominations were the dime at 249 million pieces and the quarter at 219.2 million pieces. The nickel, which is the other denomination which costs more than its face value to produce and distribute, had total production of 133.2 million pieces.

There was nominal production of the Native American Dollar during the month. Lastly, there were 10.1 million circulating quality Presidential Dollars produced.

2015 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Homestead 248.60 M 214.40 M 463.00 M
Harry S. Truman 3.50 M 4.90 M 8.40 M
Dwight D. Eisenhower 3.36 M 4.90 M 8.26 M

The production totals by design did not see any new entries during the month. However, there was a slight adjustment to the figure for the Harry Truman Presidential Dollar, which was increased from 8.26 million pieces to 8.4 million pieces.

Possible Price Decrease for Numismatic Gold Coins

Based on the available data, it is possible that the prices for the United States Mint’s numismatic gold coins may be decreased tomorrow. This would reverse the price increase which was implemented last week.

If the average weekly gold price, calculated based on the London Fix prices from the prior Thursday AM to the present Wednesday AM, falls into the range of $1,150 to $1,199.99 and the Wednesday PM Fix price is below $1,200, then the price decrease would take place.

The impacted products would include the remaining available First Spouse Gold Coins, 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Proof Coin, 2015 commemorative gold products, the 2015 Proof Gold Eagle products, and the recently released 2015 Proof Gold Buffalo. The prices for the products would be decreased by the equivalent of $50 per ounce of gold content.

Pricing changes for numismatic gold products have typically been made effective around mid-morning Wednesday.

The person that has to keep adjusting the prices on the website must be pissed…lol up, down, up, down…Friggin rollercoaster…

2. Brian says

@fmtransmitter – so do you buy the coins from the mint and then submit to NGC for grading? How much does the grading cost you compared to the cost of the coins? What is the percent of these that are grading PF-70 compared to PF-69 anyway? Can you tell the difference by looking at them? Isn’t it well known that on any given submission of a proof coin fresh from the mint it could grade either PF-69 or PF-70 and if you don’t get a 70 the first time you can likely just re-submit (i.e., “crack-out”) until you do get a 70? Maybe the TPG’er had a half hour more sleep that day. Are you banking on real investment potential of these 70s down the road or do you just appreciate the TPGs opinion on the particular day they bestowed the honor of 70. Please, no cynicism intended…but I just don’t get it.

3. Jerry Diekmann says

I still remember the days when having a MS63or MS64 coin was something to be proud of, and having a MS65 or a MS66 coin was something to be ecstatic about. I’m happy for fmtransmitter, but I think grade inflation has taken over the coin hobby, with no thanks to the TPGs for doing so.

Well, this is my HOBBY of choice. I don’t have children and chose this as my HOBBY. The coins in my registry sets are going against others in the HOBBY across the entire World but you must be a good standing member with NGC for consideration. Being recognized for hard work and effort was a very rewarding experience for me and was a nice surprise as I did not expect to receive them. I merely entered my cert. numbers as a way of keeping track of my collection and I happen to pick a few to “chase” and “compete” with as an added level of fun to my HOBBY.
    @Jerry: You are so very correct sir in your observation and many who have been involved in this much longer than I love to collect and hopefully get MS 60 + grades. I personally do NOT collect too many MS coins as I appreciate the finest examples of the days given methods of manufacture. Those grades are something to be VERY proud of if they are classics, say pre 1933 etc. Even many up to late 80’s. Mine are all PROOFS and HIGH RELIEF. Not my collection, but the ones I compete with are. I have some stunning MS “RAW” classics. For my Registry sets though, I buy already slabbed from dealers who know me and I trust and do me right all the time for repeat business.
    @MikeinPA: Thank you very much but I have seen so many other sets that blow mine away. Just thought I would share for anyone that may be new to the hobby. It is a way to compete against others, etc. I find it fun.

D Rittenhouse says
    APRIL 14, 2015 AT 8:47 PM

@MikeinPa ,
    It’s a very easy task when you have time and money to waste.

FYI, I have neither of those so that makes me EXTRA proud you troll

@Brian: “Are you banking on real investment potential of these 70s down the road” No…and no cynicism taken…

In a well advertised auction and this provenance, these awards may be nice to add to the buyer/set, like trophy’s from a classic car, to go with the set if I sell, but that is not what I intend at this point…

8. cagcrisp says

Internet Troll (per Wikipedia) :
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

“These trolls feed off the reactions of their victims because “their agenda is to take delight in causing trouble”.[43]”
    “The 2013 study found that trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others”

Well, the price drop for gold coins will be happening today, since the pm fix was below $1,200. Now, are the Elizabeth Truman coins still going to be released tomorrow? The schedule still says that, but there are still no product pages for them yet.

Thanks, Cag. I was looking under the “upcoming products” tab and they weren’t there. I was afraid they were going to be delayed and I might not have the option of buying them at the $770/$790 level. Who knows, gold coins might go up again next week!

11. TMMSR0127 says

I wonder if the mint will start to eliminate the 2013 First Spouse Gold coins as they add the 2015 First Spouse Gold coins??? Or if the 2013 FS coins will stay on sale until the mint has sold them all. I guess we will find out tomorrow afternoon.

fm…sounds like the mantra needs to be updated. “Collect what you like – and how you like to collect them”. I have no problem with people collecting graded coin sets – or even getting their coins graded. Congrats on the registry set award.

cag… the only problem with the troll… is that ocassionally it actually feeds the hobby here with useful information or links. Then it goes off into trolldumbness.

13. cagcrisp says

@thePhelps, Agreed on both counts. I have thanked him in the past for suggestions on Christmas gifts. I did what he suggested and it worked out well. I would have never thought about it on my own. Just a shame when he goes off on someone…

14. Mac in Ohio says

Does anyone know if the mint reports mintage figures for medals, and where? Thanks!

15. Goat says

@ TMMSR0127 is there a mintage limit that the mint will stick to ? Correct me if I am wrong but the mint never maxed the limit in 2012 . I am very upset with the 2013’s still on sale . The mint had always took the earlier coins off the market when the next year started listing. New rules , so much for get rich quick.
    Looking at the Circulating Coin Production numbers the mint minted more dimes and nickels in March than they did in all 2009 (P & D).. Doing my homework thinking I’m going in the right direction and then the mint does a 180 wooo I get dizzy !
    @ Zephin I have kids LMAO

16. cagcrisp says

@Mac in Ohio, The Mint’s annual report lists “Presidential & First Spouse Medals” lumped together.
    They also have a Miscellaneous column so the other medals could fall in that line item. The mint breaks out Units Sold, Sales Revenue, Gross Cost, COGS, SG&A, Net Income & Seigniorage, Numismatic Net Margin and Seigniorage Portion…

2014 996,000 units sold
    2013 1,007,000 units sold
    2012 891,000 units sold

17. Leo S. says

Looks like the Mint made a price reduction. We can get the Truman FS coins for the lower price. Hopefully they will also get rid of the 2013 FS coins tomorrow.

18. Boz says

Yes congrats FM. Each person has to decide what their goals are and I for one don’t plan to melt my Morgan’s just because none of them are 69 or 70.

Can’t wait for the next heavyweight 25 cent piece to come out next week. I love those fat quarters and I don’t care if they have a grade or not. They will go to some future great grand child no doubt to spend in some future grand scheme at Chucky Cheese.

19. Dave SW FL says

Who returns 1856 ATB silver proof sets?
    Or how about 610 Marshal Unc silver dollars?
    Seriously, 463 Homestead P&D rolls?
    Even 112 Truman coin covers seems absurd.

Do they really allow the big boys to cherry pick to this level or is there something wrong with the inventory management?

20. bobo says

Dave, I do suspect that the big boys cherry-pick and returns tons, and that what we get from the mint is often their returns. I would guess that the chances that an individual collector gets an MS69 instead of an MS70 for a modern issue that was received from the mint is around 80% for PCGS at least. But since the big boys seem to sell 80% MS70s and PF70s, either they are cherry-picking or getting more lenient evaluations from the grading companies. Either way the little guy gets screwed. The only way I can think of to guarantee that I don’t get someone else’s returns is to order on the first day.

I tend to speculate on what makes our troll tick. I suspect that he may have a stronger than average understanding of economics, which would explain why he lashes out at commenters here. There is a new study out that leans towards people with the most real understanding of economics being unhappy people. It also appears to me that our troll may drink a little to much hard liquor in the evenings. I just hope he knows that he is revealing far more about himself and not actually communicating with real people when voicing opinions on the internet. I know a few of us here don’t mind putting our true selves out there, but this is the world wide web, not the local coffee shop.

22. Tinto says

Seems like it. I mean why would the TPG piss off their biggest customers who can take their coins to their competitor ? And since we small fry don’t give business to the TPGs like the big boys do, they can be tougher on us and maybe even give a 69 when a 70 is obvious just to maybe make us think their standards are tough and we then accept the dealers’ MS/PR70’s graded coins without much question …. all MO … And since these are big boys bulk buyers playing it wouldn’t surprise me if the Mint gives them special privileges people like me will never get.

I too try to buy Mint offerings on the first day or two of sale … I don’t want to be stuck with someone else’s rejects / damaged goods.

fm~ I love the 1836 draped bust Liberty, what a nice looking well toned coin. Very sharp looking.

Tinto~ I like to buy the early releases too, but have you ever noticed that it seems like the early coins appear to have more quality problems. I’m starting think that the better quality coins come a couple months after the release.

25. Dave SW FL says

That’s just FILO ! First produced stacked at the bottom rear of the pallet and last produced get pulled off the stack first.
    You wouldn’t thhink they really care if your first day of release is one of the first produced would you? I don’t ( think they care much about anything except Max Profit.)

26. bob r says

Over the past years I have believed buying and owning US mint collector version PM coins with much lower mintage than their US mint counterpart bullion for the same unit a better investment, what a mistake that is now IMO.

I do not see how and why these coins produce a higher value over spot . The only real market for these coins are a few shows here and there, but mostly ebay. Sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule it does not add up.

When it gets down to it would I rather have 3 gold buffalo bullion coins or 2 with a mint mark?

I will still continue to complete my ATB P pucks. This set will be worth above and beyond spot price of silver in the years ahead. ( I hope so).

I walked in to my local coin shop to sell a couple of 2009 W proof buffalo golds, he offered spot price, I said that is crazy. His response was “that’s all their worth”. I then said maybe I should sell them on ebay, he said go ahead, it’s still just bullion gold.

27. Tinto says

So far I haven’t gotten that problem (fingers crossed), except for the time when I bought bags of S unc ATB quarter when they first came out in 2012 … all the bags (bought one of each state) had about a third of the coins that were spotted with whitish spots or brownish spots (I don’t even want to guess where those came from..) Sometimes I buy a week or so later, stuff like the silver proof sets but not for commemoratives (except for the time when I bought the gold 5 Star generals and got one with a nick on the collar, probably someone’s reject) or special releases like the TR C&C set.

I’d still like to see an article on the process the mint has for returns and resells. There seems to be a rampant theory that the mint just takes every return they get and puts it back on the shelf and ignores the quality aspect that they have attempted to achieve when they first shipped the items.

I for one am not in the camp that believes no matter how obvious the defect, they ship the returned items back out without some type of inspection.

I also read here how many inspect their coins with 10x and 20x lopes and expect perfection to that level, and ignore the fact that even TPG only use a 5x lope to determine 70’s. So it is tough to sort out fact from fiction around here sometimes.

29. Sith says

Well the fact is I have gotten rattlers. My rattler was so bad, it actually broke out of its capsule. I had to eat that one because of the limited mintage. I did not risk a return. I did one return in all my years, the mint threw a ATB into the packaging but forgot to put the top of the capsule on it. These are pretty obvious shipping errors. Then add the numerous times they have shipped me the wrong items. I mention this because these are packaging mistakes, so if nobody inspects the packages do you really thing they inspect the coin?

I Have read some bloggers put a obvious Mark on the capsule like sharpie so if it is sent back out the new buyer will know.

@Dusty: that is an 1836 over 1336 version. More valuable. Thank you for your kind compliment…

@Dave: There has been obvious issues with the spreadsheet since whomever took it over. I think they are in training right now on how to use excel. Also the one who counts the inventory on the shelves may have not passed math class in High School. You get what you pay for.

IMHO, the troll has classic birthday polar signs and I hope he finds relief through medication or therapy or both. I would hate to go through life up and down like that.

@Sith… considering the volume of coins we here purchase – the chance of a bad packaging is a higher probability for us. That said, because the realtive low number of those complaints here – year in and year out – also tends to say that those numbers are pretty low.

I am sure the mints production line is no different than any other high volume factory type enviroment. It is impossible to ship millions of coins a year – and physically inspect everyone for defects. Most factories (and I’ve worked in a couple) sample product at varied intervals and pull the product for quality inspections. If a X number of defects is found they shut down production and isolate the production problem and resolve it. Usually when that happens they also do a closer inspection of the processed product to determine where the defect started and clear the line of defects before starting up again.

I can’t speak to the mint process – but I am relatively certain it is similar to that – and quite likely they pull samples more frequently than many places to control quality.

That is why – I am skeptical of the return process being simply to move a return from recieved to pending shipping and there is no one doing a basic physical inspection.

35. Dave SW FL says

OK, Phelps. Would you know if the packaging of single proof coins is automated or hand packaged? My belief is that they are hand placed into the plastic lens and then hand placed into the box and then hand sleeved. If indeed that is the case, getting proof coins that have amazingly obvious. Defects is just inexcusable – especially given the premium being paid.

In the last year I have had to make at least 5 returns of coins which a novice kid in a coin shop would refuse to buy. I maintain that looking at the coin while placing it into the lens and a quick glance after would have caught all of these.

I would like to see the packer have to place a “Packaged by ———” into the box and then the person in charge of returns could accumulate these slips and use the feedback for corrective measures.

It’s just a matter of poor management by a government agency that does not care about its image or customer.

An extra 10 seconds per collectible item could actually SAVE the mint money when you consider the labor involved in the returns and their ship back costs. We are talking obvious problems here!

I remember that we didn’t read about these shipping issues nearly as much with the last contractor..

37. Rob says

Dave SW FL,

If it were not for the greedy customers who demand a 70 coin every time there would be no issues with any coins. the mint releases.

38. Dave SW FL says

If I offered my 5 rejects to you at issue cost, would you be willing to buy them?
    A greasy thumbprint covering over 1/3 of a coin or a scratch over 1/2 inch long or a milky looking something covering most of the legend around the rim…these are 3 that I remember.
    I wouldn’t know a 70 if I saw it. And I have a few PCGS. I just expect common courtesy of basic inspection – especially if someone is really handling the coins vs machine packaging. At 3-400% markup, that’s not asking too much.