2016 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set Available November 22

2016-circ-coin-set_16ac_a

This post was edited for clarity on November 4 at 2:30 p.m. While the individual coins aren’t numismatically valuable, the Circulating Coin Sets see plenty of aftermarket activity. They are valued at $15 per set in the current Red Book and often go for considerably more on ebay.

While higher-end collectors and investors mull the effects of today’s jobs report on gold prices—or of increases in Chinese manufacturing on silver prices, or of Tuesday’s election results on, well,  just about everything—bread-and-butter collectors are eyeing humbler targets. On November 22 the Mint will release the America the Beautiful Quarters 2016 Circulating Coin Set.

With the price of the Walking Liberty Half Dollar Centennial likely to be $915.00 or higher, the idea of a $5.95 product offering is somewhat refreshing. The individual coins have no bullion value and no particular numismatic value, barring the luck of an error coin slipping into the set. As circulating coins, they lack even the cachet of the Mint’s special Uncirculated versions, which are struck on burnished planchets that are hand-fed into the coining press. For the P-Mint and D-Mint strikes of this year’s five quarter-dollars, you’ll still spend less than the cost of a fancy coffee.

No one will ever mistake the flat, graphic-novel-illustration style of the Presidential dollar designs for the Beaux Arts brilliance of Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty half dollar. But some will marvel at the incredible appearance of depth where the three barrels push up in front of John Brown’s Fort, or the sheer size of the landscape behind Teddy Roosevelt’s horse, achieved in a mere 24.3-millimeter circle (even smaller, once you subtract the border). When Weinman’s Winged Liberty made her debut, her predecessor had been described as having “the neck of a coalheaver, the face of a Flemish cook and no top to her head under the liberty cap”—yet the Barber dime today is a treasured part of numismatic history.

On November 22, at 12 noon (ET), you can pick up another piece of numismatic history, and it won’t matter who gets elected or how many factories are going up in Asia. The enjoyment will be untarnished, either way.

Comments

1. montana John says

Mr. Cagcrisp..et al. thanks for all your comments and insights..2016 will be it for me for US Mint purchases …too many grandkids (my last one cost me the dime.quarter and I may be spending a grand for the half..)..not enough $$$$ and too much b.s. from the Mint.I will always follow this blog..just to be part of the craziness..If my knees don’t give out I’m off to elk hunt the Crazy mountains, “Always share extra meat with your less fortunate neighbors” Montana

Hey all. I’m having to walk with a cane now. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I can’t even scuba dive to pull the plug on the swamp. I’m about a year out from corrective surgery. I miss the blog and I will be back in action God willing. I wanted a WLH but an $800 car repair ruined that. Maybe a stabbed version down the road one day…Wanted to thank everyone who contributes to the blog with either stats or humor or both. Met some super nice people here in spite of some bickering. Keep it real and God Bless y’all, our veterans, our flag, and our hobby.

* stabbed, slabbed, oh well. Puters want to control what we want to say, sometimes for the better. Lol

4. The Coin Doctor says

Was 2012 skipped for these circulating atb quarter sets? Just noticed about a month back that it’s the only year I am missing in my collection, but not sure why.

5. Blair J. Tobler says

@ The Coin Doctor – The 2012 set was abruptly pulled much earlier than anyone expected (as were some other sets, ie. Silver Proof Set). I’m also missing only that one, as I thought it would be available longer.

6. cagcrisp says

@montana John, Thanks for all your posts and kind words.

2016 could be the last hooray for many people.
    Just not enough disposable income to go around.
    Giving to grandchildren is what it’s all about.
    Glad to see your “giving back” in the form of spare meat.
    I hope you continue to post…

7. cagcrisp says

@fmtransmitter, Sorry to hear about your health problems. Most on here don’t remember the old days with you posting. I remember ‘refreshing’ the blog and seeing 15 posts in a short period of time and I knew either something had blown up OR fmtransmitter was posting.

Hope you get better, pull the plug on the swamp, find some disposable income and continue to post…

8. So Krates says

MNB says, “As circulating coins, they lack even the cachet of the Mint’s special Uncirculated versions, which are struck on burnished planchets that are hand-fed into the coining press.”

From this year’s product page for the Uncirculated Set (16RJ):

“U.S. Mint uncirculated coins are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins, producing a sharp, intricately detailed image.”

I have been trying to pin down the exact difference between the coins in these two sets and it seems the mint’s product descriptions are always changing and sometimes vague. Is the above quote (burnished/hand fed) your personal general understanding or was it sourced from something specific?

9. Old Big Bird says

@The Coin Doctor – Yes the 2012 Uncirculated and Circulated ATB set where made. I too was missing the 2012 Circulated sets for mine, my son’s and grandson’s collections. I did get them on Ebay but at a premium price.
    If I told you what I paid for the 2012 circulated set I would never hear the end of it on this blog.

But I have all 3 sets of all types of the ATB quarters including rolls. So good luck on Ebay, if you really want to complete your set.. But think of multiple times the original list price.

Old Big Bird,

You might have bought your 2012’s from me! I sold quite a few of them for the $45-$59 range I think. One of the few GOOD purchases of a cheap product that I made from the Mint! 🙂

11. cagcrisp says

@Louis Golino, Author I think it would be very helpful to know who needs to contact their Senators and who does not. Colorado and Florida have both senators on board. As Louis’s article states Senator Bill Nelson of Florida sponsored the Senate version and Currently there are 11 senators listed as cosponsors. Here is a list of the cosponsors and the date they cosponsored :

Sen. Gardner, Cory [R-CO]* 05/19/2016
    Sen. Rubio, Marco [R-FL]* 05/19/2016
    Sen. Peters, Gary C. [D-MI]* 05/19/2016
    Sen. Bennet, Michael F. [D-CO] 07/11/2016
    Sen. Fischer, Deb [R-NE] 09/07/2016
    Sen. Merkley, Jeff [D-OR] 09/07/2016
    Sen. Wicker, Roger F. [R-MS] 09/14/2016
    Sen. Boozman, John [R-AR] 09/26/2016
    Sen. Murkowski, Lisa [R-AK] 09/26/2016
    Sen. Cornyn, John [R-TX] 09/26/2016
    Sen. Alexander, Lamar [R-TN] 09/28/2016

12. The Coin Doctor says

Thanks Old big bird and Blair! I will have to start scouting on ebay. Not will to pay crazy prices for it though.

13. Old Big Bird says

@Brad – I am a good record keeper and I bought it from a Brad in Illinois on 06/14/14 and yes I bought all 3 sets from you. Now that if funny. LOL Nice to met a seller that I dealt with ion a blog.

14. data dave says

I too have always wondered about the difference between the uncirculated and circulated quarter sets. I assume the coins are the same or the slabbers would be hawking them as different. So it is only different packaging for the $7 difference?

15. data dave says

@cagcrisp – Nice seeing you look at the P pucks from a revenue perspective also. Everything the Mint has been selling (yearly) has been trending down, even Proof bullion. Not sure if it is the slow growth economy or demographic changes. It seems the only sellouts have come from one of a kind items. The coin collecting field seems to go through cycles and definitely seems to be in a down cycle right now. Or maybe the interest is just shifting away from Mint products.

The only point I was trying to make with the numbers was that the P pucks seem to have a good base of buyers and that I expect sales to hover between 16.5K and 17.5K through 2017.

16. cagcrisp says

@data dave, “The only point I was trying to make with the numbers was that the P pucks seem to have a good base of buyers”

I Agree Completely. For me though, that is part of the problem. Some customers drop off each offering and some customers are added each offering. The problem I have is the Overall base does Not expand. NO bigger tent and NO bigger tent for the majority of Mint offerings.

Does Not bode well for a Successful Business Plan. Numismatics are Losing and Bullion is Gaining.

It’s tough to turn the Titanic around and without a Positive secondary market pricing, it will not turn around for the Vast Majority of Mint offerings…

17. Louis Golino, Author says

Thanks a lot, CC. That is really helpful. If your Senator is not there, please contact them asap. There are few legislative days left this year as they have several more recesses coming, so time is of the essence. While it may seem bleak that 11 Sen. are on board now, things should get moving next week as I explained in my column. Isn’t about time how space coin collections had some U.S. entries other than the reverse of the Ike and SBA dollars?

18. Erik H says

OT, I’ve seen a few online articles about 1 oz Silver Krugerrands that will be released soon to celebrate the 50th Anniversary but no release date is giving in the articles. Anybody reading this blog have any inside info???

19. Louis Golino, Author says

The reason I included Buzz Aldrin’s letter is he uses language that you can borrow when contacting your senator and telling them why they should support it. Also see what your state contributed to the moon landing effort as every state did something, and if you don’t know how to reach your senator, just go to http://www.congress.gov. There is a full list of all of them that takes you to their web site, which has phone numbers and other ways to reach them. I would suggest a call as letter s have to be screened for anthrax and get delayed and they get tons of e-mails.

20. Louis Golino, Author says

Erik H- Supposed to be available soon. A German company called EMK is selling the silver for 38 euros, which seems pretty high and also says 1 million mintage, not 500,000. I think they will show up soon at U.S. dealers.

21. cagcrisp says

Walking Liberty Half…

Lowest Current pre-sale BIN on the bay is $1,138.00

Spot gold was $1,060.00 on 12/31/15

SO…Virtually 10 months ago you could buy 1 oz. AGE for LESS than a Current BIN for 1/2 oz. offering that will be released for ~ $915.00 in 13 days

I would sure hate to Try to make a living selling 1/2 oz. of Gold on the bay for $1,100.00+ when Gold is $1,300.00 an Ounce.

At a BIN price of $1,138.00 that’s a 75% premium to spot

In the Long Run…Good Luck with that

SO…IF you are going to purchase, you better plan on keeping for a Long Long time…

22. a Bob says

The proposed moon landing program is a monstrosity of shapes and sizes opening a can of worms ever further.
    Please no.

23. HarryB says

@Louis Golino, Author: for the Moon Landing Comms, is there time in the Lame Duck session for passage for the House drafted bill or should something be worked into the next CR or Omnibus, whichever way the Congress proceeds? Thanks

24. Louis Golino, Author says

a bob- No, they will all be in the same concave/convex shape and bear the same design. And the sizes are all the same as the usual 3 plus the addition of a 5 oz. proof.

HarryB- The House bill will very likely pass the floor in the coming weeks as it has 298 co-sponsors. That is more than a majority of members of the House. The Senate is where greater support is needed, but those on the inside expect a lot of action soon. I doubt this would be part of a CR or Omnbus as it is not a budget issue.

25. Goat says

Diana,
    Libertad mintage’s are still very low. Most of our local bullion dealers trade little on current and past years. I think some of the mid-bigger dealers are slowly migrating towards the Libertads.
    But;
    The Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated is now 25 and 26 year run (1991 , 1992 – present) of the 1/20 oz. – 1/2 oz. sizes and 1 oz. dating back to 1983 and 1982. With a book holding 27 silver 1 oz. the years are there to support a book, but for the 1/20 oz. – 1/2 oz. it might be too early unless you have no dates under the coin hole (been done in the past). I to believe few people hold much of the quantity in the smaller sizes. A book might help stimulate the market for the Libertads. Whitman has always been trail blazers, it might be time.
    One question I would research. How many Mexican Money volume 2 books have been sold ? Books sold shows interest.

I think the bullion pucks (although with higher mintage) have more investment potential than the “P” pucks….if silver were to go to $22/oz, your today’s bullion purchase would increase in value….your “P” puck probably wouldn’t.

In general, (and I think cagcrisp may of spoken of this)….but buying gold/silver bullion (and for silver, I know cc likes rolls of silver eagles) has more upside than than chasing the Mint’s Numismatic offerings of chasing new lows on products like the silver proof set.
    And, I agree…pre-1933 gold is a bargain compared to the Mint’s offerings…and while the WLH is overpriced, so are the Mint’s other gold offerings….the Proof Buffalo will like by be $1690 next week….you can buy some MS63 $20 Saint Gaudens for less than that all day long.

Also, FM…get well

27. earthling says

The thought that the Politicos in DC aren’t interested in honoring the success of the Apollo 11 Mission is just unacceptable. What exactly IS important to them?

I’ll bet if a proposal to honor Harvey Milk was brought up, all of them would jump on the bandwagon. Probably within a day.

28. Mint News Blog says

@Goat, that’s a good point — I’ll touch base with the publisher to see how the book sales are doing.

29. The Kid says

I wrote Senator McCain asking for support of HR-2726, Apollo 11 commemorative coins.

Good Luck from

The Kid

30. Xena says

@Mint News Blog says “What are your thoughts on products like coin folders for Mexican coins — is there enough of a market in the U.S. for a new line of them?”

Diana – I’d like to see a full set of Whitman (or Dansco…) ALBUMS (not folders) for all Mexican coins. I see lots of folks bidding up various old silver coins on ebay, must be some sort of market.

I have Vol II.

31. Mattarch says

Another bonus to reading MNB. I have been purchasing the ATB circulating quarters set every year, just one a year. I did not realize the 2012 set had any significant value over issue price. Just buying what I like. I will buy the 2016 set with my next purchase from the mint. I don’t purchase by themselves to save on shipping.

32. Numismatrix says

There’s absolutely no comparison between the Barber fractionals,
    and the post 1916 Liberties. The artistry, complexity, and sheer
    beauty of the Liberties is overwhelming. The pricing of the Barbers’
    is mystifying, given the prosaic design, and considering they are not
    really all that rare (with exception of the 1901-S and 1913-S Quarter
    issues)

That said, I will purchase a set of the NP quarters. I will likely not bother
    with the Au-WLH which I see as just bullion. I do not have a copy of an
    original WLH Ag-proof and this will be the one I get when $$$ are
    available.

OT: FM – a good physical therapist can be a great asset, combined with
    loads of exercise, and plenty of muscle stretching-relaxing. Best Wishes !

33. So Krates says

I own a few 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Sets. These “Uncirculated” coins are NOT made on burnished blanks and I highly doubt they were “hand fed” into the press.

34. Mint News Blog says

For fun, I did a check of circulating sets sold on ebay from August through October. Those low-mintage 2012 sets really do well:

2010 — $4.99