2016 Ronald Reagan Presidential $1 Coin and First Spouse Medal Set

16pf_aSMALL

Tomorrow, July 5, at noon ET, the U.S. Mint will release the 2016 Ronald Reagan Presidential One Dollar Coin & First Spouse Medal Set, which is available for $9.95 and includes both an Uncirculated Reagan dollar struck in Philadelphia and a Nancy Reagan First Spouse Bronze Medal. The coin and medal come affixed to a dense plastic card featuring portraits of the President and the First Lady, with historical information printed on the back of the card. A certificate of authenticity is also included.

The bronze medal shares its obverse and reverse designs with the Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coins, released on July 1. The Reagan $1 coin is the third and final Presidential dollar to be released in 2016.

There are no listed production limits for this item. While last year’s Kennedy $1 Coin and First Spouse Medal Set sold an unusually high 24,183 units before being discontinued, many sets are cut well before reaching 10,000. The previous issue in this series, which features a Gerald Ford dollar and a Betty Ford medal, debuted on April 8 and has reached 4,264 sales. The Nixon coin and medal set launched on March 3 currently shows 5,091 units sold.

The releases of coins featuring Ronald and Nancy Reagan mark the end of the Presidential dollars series and the First Spouse gold coins program, which were launched in tandem in 2007. Thirty-nine Presidential dollars have been issued in all, excluding only Presidents who are still living.

For more information on the Presidential dollars program, please visit the Web site of the U.S. Mint. You can also watch a brief clip of Mint engraver Phebe Hemphill discussing her work on the forthcoming Theodore Roosevelt National Park ATB quarter below. Happy July Fourth.

Comments

1. cagcrisp says

Precious Metals fix day of Brexit vote and Precious Metals fix Today.

06/23/16 Gold PM fix $1,262.15
    07/04/16 Gold PM fix $1,350.75 + 7.0%

06/23/16 Silver fix $17.29
    07/04/16 Silver fix $20.36 + 17.8%

British Pound vs. $USD day of Brexit vote and Today.

06/23/16 1 British Pound = $1.503
    07/04/16 1 British Pound = $1.329 – 11.6%

2. MarkInFlorida says

I’ll skip this set and wait for the one with the reverse proof. Have a happy & safe 4th, everyone!

3. Leo S says

FS Collectors

If Ron and Nancy are so popular that the Mint wants the widest distribution like the Nancy FS gold, why is there no limit on this offering. The Mint is up to something with the Nancy FS gold.

@cagcrisp. Silver is now above $20 per ounce as of this writing. If I recall correct, the U.S. Mint lowered prices on its silver-based products when the price of silver fell below this threshhold. Now that silver prices are going up and have passed the $20 mark, I wonder if/when the U.S. Mint will start to raise prices on its silver-based products.

Also, if investors and speculators are hoping to see the gold to silver ratio reach historical levels, we’ve got a long way to go… Who knows what the final outcome will be? Time will certainly tell!

Leo,

I have a hard time believing that the Mint will NEVER lift that ordering limit on the Nancy Reagan gold coins. They’ll be shooting themselves in the foot if they don’t. It would be pretty stupid of them to sacrifice sales waiting for unique households to buy them all, if the demand obviously isn’t there. Whoever you talked to at the Memphis facility was probably clueless as usual.

If they insist on leaving the limit intact forever, then it may take until 2025 to sell them all!

Isn’t there a friend or some other family member who ISN’T afraid of using a credit card online who could help you get around the limit? Ask around, you’re bound to find one.

If not, just try placing another order under your own name. It just might slip through. Stranger things have happened! 🙂

6. Leo S says

@Brad

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried them all. I told the same thing to the Mint regarding sales and the lack of demand for the FS coins and all they would say was we are NEVER going take the limit off. I think that they are looking at the Jackie O with total sales to date at around 17300 total units and thinking that with only 15000 total Nancy FS that it will sell out in less than 2 years. I did get a number of someone at their HQ which I will call on Tuesday and see if I can get a waiver for being one of their best FS customers. Also going to brow beat my Brother in Law again to see if he will change his mind. I hate to ask my friends to do it because they would have to watch their email and be home all day to get the delivery.

I agree with you completely that the Mint is shooting itself in the foot and that’s why it doesn’t make any sense.

Leo

7. earthling says

I think the Reagans were really the most popular President and First Lady in recent history. To have Nancy’s Coin drawing customers to the First Lady’s page makes sense. Already there are 2 – 2014 BU FS coins almost sold out. Maybe the 1- 2014 Proof is ready to go also.

I would think the Mint might want to carry something into the Christmas Season. After that , maybe they’ll be in the mood to lift some limits.

8. Dave SW FL says

Leo,
    Try calling the mint stores in Philadelphia and Denver. In the past they have sold the First Spouse coins. No promise here, but it’s worth a try.
    If you have a relationship with a coin shop, I would guess that they would order you a coin as they certainly are not interested in these coins.

Then again, you could go to eBay where Moab coin company is selling a complete dual set of NGC + PCGS MS70-PR70 total 232 coin set for “only” $385,000.00.
    SERIOUSLY, it’s really there.

Or just wait a few years and get them for melt.

9. Dave SW FL says

So Krates,

“Can you say breakout?” (Re silver price)

Yes…..and I can also say OVERBOUGHT!!!!

Y’all be careful out there chasing the run up😮

10. Jeff says

Hidalgo,

In response to your questions, Yes, affirmative and who gives a rats a** these suckers will still slurp em up like a slurpy from 7-11 , these bloggers don’t care about price hikes. They call these bullion rounds my part of the USA

11. MT says

@cagcrisp — I know you’ve been tracking some of the 2015 Coin and Chronicles sets. You mentioned a few days ago an ebay auction for all four sets that went for $358. A BIN of the same four sets sold for $625 the very next day. At the achievable buying prices for Eisenhower ($85.01 – he he), Kennedy (~$55) and Johnson (~$65), that’s like shelling out $420 for Truman alone in this BIN. In contrast the AUCTION equivalent price for the Truman set alone was ~ $153.

You said:
    “A Truman Alone should sell for $265.00.
    Auctions should never be used this late in the game…”

Your point has been validated.

12. MikeinPA says

The mint is running out the clock on many 2016 offerings, hope they don’t try to unload them all for the holidays

13. Goat says

It would be wild if collectors only ended the series with low mintage. But I have to agree with Brad , I think greed from the mint will lift the HH limit. The last several spouse coins are hard to find that have been graded, I think not as many dealers bought to grade for flipping. Leo I hope you find someone to order another ,this will be one you never forget, those coins you work harder/smarter to get.

14. Leo S says

@Dave SW FL

Took a while to get to the gift shop and then only got a machine. Haven’t tried the Philly yet. Waiting on a call back from Denver. Thanks for the tip.

15. Leo S says

@Dave SW FL

Called the Denver Mint but only got a machine. Waiting on a call back. Thanks for the tip.

16. Goat says

Dave SW FL ;
    That also includes the $1 Pres. 70 grade coins. I have been watching it for awhile. Thought about buying it several times, just for the one dollar sets.

17. earthling says

Platinum Eagle Guide

2008 American Platinum Eagle

The 2008 Platinum Eagle was released during a turbulent year for platinum market prices. This had a significant impact on both the numismatic and bullion offerings.

After starting the year at $1,541 per ounce, platinum experienced a quick surge which brought the price to more than $2,200 per ounce by early March. After a sharp pull back, prices stabilized around the $2,000 level, but then experienced an extended decline through the summer months, eventually falling below $800 per ounce. For the final two months of the year, prices stabilized around this level and finished the year at $900 per ounce.

Been doing some reading on the Platinum Eagles. I saw the 2013 design and remembered buying one. So now it looks like I have all the Coins from 1999 – 2008 and 2013 – 2016. I missed the 1999 1 oz but I did get the 1/2 oz from 1999. If I remember correctly Platinum was at $480 back in 1999. It slowly rose all the way to $2200 then dropped like a stone. A scary ride down – it was.

Depending on your pm purchase price, now may be a good time to sell….some, but not more than say 35% of your gold and silver holdings.(bullion silver eagles, bullion 5 oz atb.s, bars, etc.)

Or it could be a time to buy before prices possibly go higher….but you have to do your own research and make your own decisions…as no one can consistently predict pm future values…too many variables.

I try to keep my mouth shut on predicting pm values, but I really had to bite my tongue when last year and the year before posters were seeing silver at $8-10 and gold @800.

I wish I knew where pm’ s and stocks were going, but I think it’sad when we have 20 trillion in debt, yet the dollar is the go to currency..

I am in no way promoting or affiliated with this company, but they have some of the best cd and high yield savings accounts. 12 month CDs at 1.25 %….high yield savings accounts @ 1.05 %….there money market accounts pay .85%….the High yield savings account is the same as the mm accontt, expect you can’t write checks….no big deal as you can transfer money from your high yield savings account, to your checking account or vice versa for no charg

The bank is am referring to is Synchrony bank. Check them out.

My second day choice is Ally bank…they have rates just below Synchroney.

I realize I went ot, but thought some of you might be interested as most banks only offer about .12% for cd.s and money market funds.

Can,’the wait for the SLQ and WLH coins…

Happy 4th to all

19. Leo S says

Dave SW FL

Well so much for the Denver Mint. Evidently they don’t understand what it means to call back. I’ll try the other one tomorrow. Maybe they have an outside line.

20. NC Stacker says

Happy Independence Day everyone.

Home of the Original Brexit, since July 4 1776

21. So Krates says

@ Leo S – Of course no one will call you back today. It is a federal holiday. And you are not calling the Denver Mint. You are calling the gift shop located next to the mint run by employees of Aramark .

22. DBR says

I personally don’t mind folks who go off-topic, but I sympathize with those who do mind and they’ve voiced that here pretty clearly. Some MNB posters seem to have disappeared maybe because of it and find others’ off-topic questions and comments tedious.

Perhaps MNB could offer “forums” for coin conversations to happen among commentators?

Otherwise, it appears most of us keep posting in the comments section of the most recent MNB article post assuming we all don’t go back and check earlier posts’ comments threads.

Are there other coin blogs that offer such “forums?” Just a suggestion for MNB, but I’m not particularly asking for a blog site redesign. That’d be a lot of work I imagine and might alienate long-time visitors here.

MNB might welcome any positive feedback or suggestions. Or you might get a MYOB (LOL!) 😜

MNB is fulfilling my hobby needs and this blog stays very dedicated to its mission and purpose.

Thanks MNB! Happy 4th of July!

23. Leo S says

@ SoKrates

Leo is an idiot. This is what happens during aging process. Thanks for letting me know I’m an idiot.

Happy 4th to all

24. earthling says

Alright , the 4th of July is in the rearview mirror, and we made it with no major mishaps! I suppose it was luck and the work of the enforcers in making the ” traffic ” safe. Great work, and Thanks.

Now it’s the US Mints turn to do some scheduling. We need to see some plans for a few Products that everyone is waiting for. Can we expect to see anything soon? I hope so.

What’s especially puzzling is the Silver American Eagle. Silver Spot seems to be on a daily tear towards the heavens so will we now need to wait until it achieves orbit? So be it. But could we just see an anticipated date? It would be a real comfort.

25. KCSO says

Leo.., here’s a few thoughts you can take to the bank,

1. Nancy has a HHL, Philly & Denver will not be carrying them until it’s lifted and calling HQ will only get you to the kiosk and while they’re friendly, there not going to be able to assist.
    2. There are no waivers to a HHL, you’re dealing with a beauracratic machine
    3. Just wait until this afternoon when Cag likely posts the sales numbers and assess then, if the sales numbers are low, no worries and you’ll have plenty of time and the HHL will likely be lifted
    4. If the sales numbers are high, just buy five $200 gift certificates on your account, set up an account for someone thats helpful in your family and you trust, order the coins using said certificates and be at their residence on delivery day in 5 days, easy peasy!
    5. I bet Cag is even kind enough to do some analysis as to when you may see Nancy sell out based off of historicals to give you a feel for a timeline
    6. Good luck, I personally think you’ll have plenty of time though my gut will know as soon as we see those sales numbers today

26. Boz says

Ticket scalpers have been much in the news lately for having robot programs with 100s or even thousands of discrete accounts with different addresses and credit card numbers. It seems there is always a programmer who can figure out a way to bypass household ordering limits.

While there may not be specific proof of mint websites being spoofed in this manner, it does seem that ordering limits are very ineffective at accomplishing much of anything.

Anyone who really wants more than the limit will find a way by having friends and relatives place orders. Commercial interests sensing that an offering may be below market value will easily control the first few minutes of computerized sales.

The only pure way of fair distribution might just be to return to paper mail-in order forms by a date-certain, with manual checking of addresses, credit cards, and telephone numbers (at great expense to the mint). Even that sort of system is susceptible to fraud (what isn’t these days).

About all the present HHL system can insure is that the first order through the server does not take out the entire inventory (assuming some entity actually wanted to do that).

There is no perfect way, and there will always be complaints. The complainers have a choice between nosebleed seats at a reasonable price, or paying the middlemen a steep premium for their expertise in grabbing up the prime real estate for resale.

27. So Krates says

“The only pure way of fair distribution might just be to return to paper mail-in order forms…”

One month order window/mint to demand is more just.

28. Leo S says

@KCSO

Thanks for the suggestions. You talked me out of calling the Mint today and I shall await the sales results to see what my chances are. I might have a scalper (as BOZ put it – BOZ – I enjoyed the comment as I never been a scalper before) on line to buy the second Nancy. In the worst case scenario, I’ll have to buy them from APMEX if they ever get any. Hate to pay the premium but Oh well.

Hope you all had a great 4th.

29. cagcrisp says

2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE 3-COIN SET 11,826 +129

2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD PROOF 11,969 +51
    2016 MARK TWAIN GOLD UNC 5,232 +27
    2016 MARK TWAIN SILVER PROOF 66,673 +479
    2016 MARK TWAIN SILVER UNC 23,503 +90

32. Sith says

All this talk about the silver’s increased spot price, it is amazing what happens when the markets are closed. Its back open now , and so are those huge gains.

33. cagcrisp says

2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 15,093 +111
    2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ 3,232 +67
    2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/4 OZ 4,480 +209
    2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/10 OZ 13,601 +326
    2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 11,064 +260
    2016 AM EAGLE GOLD UNC 1 OZ 5,188 +85

2016 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 17,224 +145

34. KCSO says

Leo.., Brother….

You’ll have ALL YEAR to collect your Nancy’s

Thanks Cag

Leo, no analysis required on this one..,

IMHO, I think you now have insight into the collector base of the FS series.., about 600 to 700 collectors

35. cagcrisp says

2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 2,507 +11
    2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 1,633 +4

2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – HARDING 1,918 +3

2014 COOLIDGE IS GONE GIRL

2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – HOOVER 1,905 +3

36. cagcrisp says

To put the Nancy Reagan First Spouse coin in prospective…

Lyndon Johnson was a One term president that presided over the most unpopular war in US History.

Ronald Reagan was the Most Loved Republican president of modern time and Nancy Reagan just died four months ago.

Both Lady Bird Johnson and Nancy Reagan Sold Exactly the same number of First Spouse coins in the opening week = 2,220…

37. cagcrisp says

Here is a list of All the New Offerings from last week:

2016 AM EAGLE PLATINUM PROOF 1 OZ 9,810
    2016 PRES $1 25-COIN ROLL – REAGAN (P) 27,764
    2016 PRES $1 25-COIN ROLL – REAGAN (D) 26,312
    2016 PRES $1 250-COIN BOX – REAGAN (P) 2,648
    2016 PRES $1 250-COIN BOX – REAGAN (D) 2,373
    2016 PRES $1 100-COIN BAG – REAGAN (P) 867
    2016 PRES $1 100-COIN BAG – REAGAN (D) 829
    2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 1,428
    2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 792

38. NC Stacker says

@cagcrisp

My guess that the Jackie Kennedy FS coin was due to the fact that it was also in line with the 50th anniversary of the JFK release. There was a lot of hype and anticipation around the release of both.

Since the Reagan’s didn’t have anything but just a dollar coin and the FS coin, there was nothing that made the Nancy coin stand out. ( got to have it factor)

It could it be collectors burnout ?. Having the FS run of over 10 years, some could lose the luster of the series as in the beginning it was cool to start, now ends in a ho hum… As only a few die-hard collectors have been faithful since the start.

39. Leo S says

CagCrisp

Thanks for the update on the Nancy FS. Maybe I won’t have to be a scalper after all. I have to correct myself regarding the scalper denial, back in 1884 we were in a lottery for Olympic tickets and got the opening and closing event and track and field. We did sell the Opening and Closing to a ticket agent and went to the Track and Field. That’s went we had no money and $400 meant a lot. So I guess I have been a scalper in my youth. However, I have been clean for the past 32 years.

Thanks again all of you with your suggestions.

40. cagcrisp says

@NC Stacker, To have a HHL of 1 with a Mintage of 15,000, clearly the Mint Guessed wrong.

Coming the day After a $13.5 million offering sure did Not help matters…

41. Leo S says

FS Collectors

Question: What is your opinion as to the average age of coin collectors in the US. My wife feels that the generation X, Y, Z and Millennials will not me interested in Old Presidents and their First Ladies. I think that there must be some of the youth that enjoy history and I won’t lose my shirt completely with this collections. Any of you have any thoughts regarding this dilemma. I have a bad feeling that my wife is right.

42. KCSO says

May want to ask non- FS collectors, to avoid a biased response…

As a Gen X’er, only association I have is admiration for the Foundering Father and interest in Reagan to present..,

After the Gen X’ers…, I really seriously question to whom I’ll liquidate my hoard to.., i simply don’t see Millenials having an interest in collecting anything.., other than having a presence on some social media site for a moments worth of self validation

43. cagcrisp says

The Yield on the 10 and 30 year Bonds are just getting Crushed again Today. You guys that are Young, better find a way to make some money. Working for the Man ain’t going to be the way to go in the future.

Good luck trying to amass enough money to retire.

Good luck trying to get health insurance tax free in many more years.

Good luck if you have a defined benefit plan getting all that you have been Promised.

Good luck hoping Congress fixes Social Security so it “resembles” the Social Security that I will receive…

44. KCSO says

That’s great news, all the more reason to party it away.., you rich Republicans will help to finance my way.., when I need it! 😜 🎉🎊🍹🍸🍷🇺🇸

45. cagcrisp says

@Leo S, Agree with KCSO, better open the question to everyone.

The Good News is that you have Gold. No mater what you are going to track Gold. That can’t be said for 88% of the Other Mint offerings.

You paid too much of a premium but you can hope that Gold continues upward and you can Hope that the US Mint doesn’t turn into a boutique Mint and start turning out Low Mintage Wonders in Gold like they have in Low Mintage Wonders in Silver and Clad.

IF the US Mint follows the path of the Perth Mint, Royal Mint or Royal Canadian Mint, Your wife wins.

The Only thing the First Spouse series has going for it is Low Mintage, you lose that and you’ve Lost the War…

Thanks cag, I feel warm and fuzzy all over now!

But, you are right, I don’t see the bond market turning around any time soon unless the “next big thing” enters like right now!
    I know where you do some of your reading so I know you must have read the article on the real possibility that China is headed for a serious recession. We can not handle much more!! It’s time to get our houses in order.

Leo, I’m 53 and not interested in any of them except for the Jackie Kennedy. But as you are hearing from others, the low mintage for the rest of the series will be the allure going forward.

48. cagcrisp says

@Dustyroads, Your Welcome!

I sat down with three families this weekend and explained how much harder Today’s time are vs. My time. You’re going to have to take a Lot more Financial risk and those that I talked to are averse to Risk…

Damn Leo, I didn’t know you were THAT old! The 1884 Olympics? Ha ha! Just messin’ with you. 🙂

Seriously, the biggest worry you would have on the Nancy coins is the price going up before you can get another order placed!

50. NC Stacker says

@KCSO

You are so right about your statements. The Millennial’s are a different beast then all those before them. Their idea of savings/investments is only in social gratification.

To them, saving or anything in savings is so passé. Talk about having a normalcy bias.

So the my TR ratio is in check:
    Maybe they would buy a Kartrashian coin if the Mint were to ever make one. It’s the coin the would break the internet.

I’m so aggravated. Just heard FBI director’s decision re: emails & router.

Maybe Hillary FS coin should be made with a coating of teflon & Mandarin in color.

Lord grant me strength.

Semper Fi

52. Mark Rex says

I recieved my order USM04280144 placed on 6/30 at 12:00:20 pm for 1x 16EJ – 2016 PF PT EAGLE using the $4.95 Budget Shipping Option. It was shipped UPS Ground Sig Adult. Dunno if anyone who paid extra for shipping got theirs prior to today. UPS had originally indicated I’d recieved it tomorrow. I put the sealed box with my 2015 sealed box.

Firgured they didn’t produce exactly 10k and I’m happy with the 9.8k number which will likely be +/- 100 in the end. Still think this coin will do well with its higher mintage no matter what the PM spot price is. I expect the 2015 and 2016 (and all others PF PT Eagles) to continue to climb.

This is actually one of my favorite modern designs in a while.

Congrats to all the FS collectors. I think in a decade and as time passes these coins will become very valuable as there all (but 1 or 2). extremely low mintage. On top of that many were melted or modified. I’d like to see their value in 50 years.

53. Scott says

Cag, I agree with your response @ 1:32. The Fed’s interest rate policy is destroying middle class wealth and subsidizing excessive gov’t spending. Once rates go negative, who will save anything for retirement only to see a chunk of that savings evaporate before they can retire? Assets that produce regular monthly income (like rental property, which BTW isn’t for everybody) are one way to offset the lack of return from low interest rates.

54. Leo S says

Anyone

OK, the previous question is open to anyone. Just for the record, Leo is 72 but I still shot a 92 last week. Regarding one of the comments, I don’t think I’ll be here in 50 years but with modern medicine, who knows.

55. cagcrisp says

For those looking forward to purchasing the 2016-P Harpers Ferry puck next Thursday.

This will be the Best ratio of Silver price content to Sales price since the 2014-P Great Sand Dunes Launched 09/15/2014. At the time of Launch Silver was $18.66/oz. , however, with the 10% discount you only paid $139.45…

56. cagcrisp says

@Scott, “Assets that produce regular monthly income (like rental property, which BTW isn’t for everybody) are one way to offset the lack of return from low interest rates.”

I was a General Partner in some apartments back in the day, so I know what you mean about rental property isn’t for everyone.

Set it up to lose money (positive cash flow) for 19 years and make money the 20th year. The Feds changed the Tax laws about Passive Losses and I got out…

57. earthling says

I might be a bit distorted in my perception from living in my current situation but it seems like all young people are interested in are doing crimes , drugs, booze, cigarettes, crap music & culture , and of course. ……. video games.

When many generations of parents try to give their kids everything, the kids only know how to receive. Instant gratification does not involve earning money , saving money or buying money.

Collecting expensive Coins? A crazy occupation for geezers with too much time and too much meaningless money.

58. Sith says

All this talk about Nancy vs Jackie…first Reagan does not have a great impact on most Xers, (don’t even ask a millennial, because if its not on Twitter) as most were too young to remember the turmoil of the 70s and specifically life under Carter, and his “Crisis of Confidence.” I caught the tail end of it so, I have vague memories of odd and even license plates, and all the talk about inflation, but I’m the exception rather than the rule.

You could say the same thing about Kennedy but Kennedy was part of our history lesson, so until Reagan’s “tear down this wall” has the equivalent history lesson as Ich bin ein Berliner…

Jackie also comes across as more sympathetic, while Nancy, does not, maybe if her husband would have died during his assassination attempt…

59. GoldFishin says

@Earthling- take heart that not all kids are that way, I have a total of 3 nieces, 3 nephews, and one son all aged 17-26 and everyone of them graduated H.S. , all have either graduated college or are currently attending, and the graduates are currently in nice paying full time positions. AND I do not come from a family of wealth, there seems to be a few common denominators among the children, parents that are responsible tax paying citizens, have taught their children to be ethical, not expecting perfection mind you, and putting the children first in place of their own ambition.
    But, having said that, I concur, it is a rough environment out there and really tough for the youth today to stay on track. It is also tough for the parents to stay on track, especially in those teenage years. Whew, it can be challenging!

Oh, and every one of them have their head stuck in a Smartphone! You can’t have everything?

60. Scott says

@ earthling. Your perception is fairly accurate. I’d say at least 75% of kids under 30 have had everything handed to them and don’t know what it means to earn anything. These are the same people that think they should get a free college education.

61. Sith says

All this attack on Millennials…How everyone forgets about Wood Stock, “Turn on, tune in, drop out,” and “The Summer of Love..” and how kids were glued to the “boob tube.”

62. KCSO says

NC – Thanks, & agreed!

You gave me a GREAT idea for the BCA design competition that will makes the program a HUGE success and sell millions.., I’ll propose Kardashian design silver dollars. “Save the Tatas” Pink Ribbon on the heads side, and on the tails, who else but Princess Kim.., I can hear the Internet breaking now…

So sad…

63. KCSO says

FS’ers

This may be of interest.., I had a Jefferson PR 70 that I tried to off load for 8 months.., I couldn’t give the darn thing away.

Then a Japanese gentleman residing in Nippon purchased it through the global shipping program at my tad bit north of $800 BIN. Poor chap paid like $70 bucks in import and shipping fees in addition, though he got his Jefferson.

May want to look overseas when that day arrives.., just a thought

64. Terence says

The Reagan coin had a limit on the number of coins that could be purchased, this undoubtedly contributed to its poor opening sales.

65. baldwin says

The advent of the 401k and the rapid growth it caused to the stock market is what is killing the future for younger Americans.

If you were invested in stocks from the mid 80’s to today you road the wave and did fine. If you are a younger person working in the resulting service industry America…. good luck.

66. EvilFlipper says

TBH there really aren’t as many Reagan fans as everyone thinks. Maybe hardcore republicans but not much more. Many more Dems and Independents like Kennedy than Repubs like Reagan. It’s just a matter of population. And lots of Dems and Indys collect coins as well.

67. earthling says

To be honest I don’t think today’s youngsters are much different from those from other eras. .. there’s just a higher percentage of the entitled lazy babies.

But just as Rome didn’t last forever, America’s dominance in the World is in the end stages. Anyone ever hear of the BRICS Countries? Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa are said to be evolving economic powers of the future. Look at the youth of today and it’s easy to see that the end really is near. People don’t want to work. When Mexicans, Central and South Americans, Indians, Chinese, Mid- Easterners, Philippinos and others come to the USA to take unwanted jobs, the whining is unbelievable. But where are the Americans willing to take the jobs?

68. joe#2 says

Dang, I thought the Nancy would bring in at least 5,000 between the 2 finishes.
    I’m shocked…

69. Give Me Da Money Plz says

I am 18 and going on 19. I save in precious metals. I believe that our global economic system is going to fail and those who have enough gold and silver will survive and prosper.

Almost everyone my age have no brains whatsoever. It is like living in social purgatory. One time in high school I was called an “old soul in a young man’s body.”

70. earthling says

There might soon be a freebie incentive to move the Reagan items. 🙂

Anyone interested in a freebie bag of ” Jelly Belly ” Jelly Beans? If you’ll remember , that was Ron’s favorite.

Got to beat a free US Mint black bag – of nothing. 😉

71. EvilFlipper says

TBH- the kids aren’t in control right now. The adults are. A slight to the kids is a slight to the parents, and their parents parents. Things change. Cultures change. People change. I bet there were some old people who complained about how easy the kids had it because they could ride horses everywhere instead of walking and carrying their own stuff. And how anyone was surprised that Reagan didn’t do as well as Kennedy is suffering from delusion. Just look at the political spectrum as purchasers. 30% libs, 30% conservatives and 40% indys. That’s about where it’s at . Now do the math. Not many Indys are Reagan fans. But lots of them liked Kennedy. I get the feeling that a lot of collectors think only conservatives like themselves collect. They don’t. And not all gold lovers are right wing nut jobs( a warning to liberals who think only wingers have guns or hoard gold. Anyone who can do math and read a little can understand currency debasement and knows where to run when it happens).

72. joe#2 says

Just wanted to know from folks, I’m not to big on the ATB 5 ounce pieces..
    Do you think the Harper’s Ferry coming out July 14th, Will that be a popular release with 30k mintage? Would it be wise to pick 1 up in OGP ? Thanks in advance.. Looks like a cool piece..

73. Eddie says

We want a wall built so we can protect the jobs we don’t want and will not do.

74. KEITHSTER says

I’d pick one up as they should sell a lot on the opener with the price of silver it won’t take them long to change theirs ? Did have a haunch and stopped at My bank even though they said they don’t order them no more! Have any of the Harpers Ferry huh? the new quarters oh ya we do. So it seems they must have made a lot if they got them this early with out ordering more than the last one I’ll bet! But they do look cool even in the roll so they should be fine in the big ones!!! So Good Luck All:>:>:>?

Give Me Da Money Plz says, “I am 18 and going on 19,” “I believe that our global economic system is going to fail” & “Almost everyone my age ha[s] no brains whatsoever. It is like living in social purgatory.”

You’re my new best friend, Mate. I wish I had your perspective in my teens, though it was a different world in the 80’s.

I want you to be successful out here, and don’t take crap off anyone one on this blog and post away (though always with the mentality that “Credibility and Consistency” wins the day). You need any advice from Uncle Rich, you just ask away.

We need more of your kind out here.

Joe #2 – just look at Cumberland’s sales.., then replicate. It’ll end mid-17’s where Shawnee should have.

IMO, the more the mint is mum and delays communicating the release plan for the SLQ, Merc’s, and remaining TBD’s.., all other PM releases will suffer. The APE release was a big surprise, and hit some wallets hard, unexpectedly in June. The prioritization is reshuffling within the core collector base, well.., at least in my wallet it is (and that will drive the focus of my remaining purchases 😉

77. So Krates says

The old always disparage the young. Sith is right. Remember Woodstock or how Elvis’s gyrating hips would end the world? Same as it ever was.

78. Sith says

“Undocumented workers are rewarded less for employment in hazardous settings, receiving low or no compensating differential for working in jobs with high fatality, toxic materials or exposure to heights … legal status plays an important role in determining exposure to job hazard and in structuring the wage returns to risky work.”

Again this is nothing new, read The Jungle, which is a 1906 novel written by the American journalist and novelist Upton Sinclair (1878–1968). Sinclair wrote the novel to portray the harsh conditions and exploited lives of immigrants in the United States in Chicago and similar industrialized cities.

After reading the book, President Theodore Roosevelt assigned the Labor Commissioner Charles P. Neill and social worker James Bronson Reynolds to go to Chicago to investigate some meat packing facilities. Learning about the visit, owners had their workers thoroughly clean the factories prior to the inspection, but Neill and Reynolds were still revolted by the conditions. Their oral report to Roosevelt supported much of what Sinclair portrayed in the novel, excepting the claim of workers falling into rendering vats, and being ground along with animal parts into “Durham’s Pure Leaf Lard”

79. So Krates says

Folks who recycle the “jobs no one wants to do” line always omit the most important piece of the equation. At what pay? Americans won’t pick fruit for pennies but when the pay is enough, Americans will wipe down cars and clean hotel rooms just like anyone else feeding a family.

80. Sith says

@Give Me Da Money Plz – Economics and Civics are no longer taught. Even my parents were shocked when I gave them and they read “The Creature from Jekyll Island,” but of course they were raised during the quasi-gold standard era (we were still on the gold standard, but as private gold ownership was illegal) so they at least have a excuse. Its like the Weimar Republic never attempted to use “a technology, called a printing press, that allows it to produce as many dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost.”

For example most definitions of inflation are; a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money. IMHO the real definition of inflation is a general increase in the money supply. Just about everyone knows we can’t print our way to prosperity, but under the same breath accept a 2% inflation rate. The other day I had a young lady post “The federal government is too big, too corrupt, and has a tendency to redistribute money in a way that most leaves most rational taxpayers scratching our heads…but unless we want to go back to the gold standard ” And that pretty much sums up America’s education in economics.

One of the editors I work with once told me the baby boomers (of which I am one at the tail end) were the source of most of the problems today (perhaps not realizing he was offending me). Give me a break. I say live and let live and stop blaming everyone who is not like you for our or your problems.

82. Xena says

Leo – we did an age survey here a while ago. Someone with better memory or better search skills could point you to the right place. Naturally, representation here went up with age. Also, worth noting that most of this crowd tends to be focused on moderns (it is Mint News Blog, after all). My sense is that’s it’s a whole different crowd that goes for the older coins. My Dad collected both, so I collect both.

83. Xena says

Louis – like your Libertad article (in the Numismatist for those who don’t belong to ANA). I have limited experience, but my sense is that there is a lower limit (a coin will only go so far below the initial price (ignoring spot changes)) but there is a occasional (rare?) significant upside that can make a coin expensive if you don’t get in right away.

But now I have to decide whether to ask you to autograph the Coin World article or this one next week…

Speaking of Baltimore, do you think we’ll have any Mint announcements at the show? Are they even attending? Would be a good time to announce some release dates – there sure are enough of them left.

84. NC Stacker says

@earthling

We are following down the path of the Roman Empire. It lasted 300 years, and in the end it was about entertaining the masses while the empire’s government became corrupt. Throw in the fact that they also debased their currency..

Fed printing, reality entertainment and false worship, our so called leaders are in it for personal gain and not about the public service. . humm sounds the same to me.

Thanks a lot, Xena. Have not heard anything about the Mint in Baltimore. They will probably have a booth but I would not expect any major news there. I am hoping to be there and can autograph whatever you like.

As for Libertads, in a couple of weeks, check out my piece in the Aug. issue of Coin World on a different aspect of the same topic.

Also, for those who did not see it, I have a story out now on Coin Update about the 2016-W APE.

OK, shameless plug over.

86. Give Me Da Money Plz says

@ Keep Calm & Stack On!

Thank you for your kind words. I know when you guys complain about my generation you guys are not complaining about the rare exceptions like me. The reason I used the term “social purgatory” is because I cannot hold a serious conversation with most people my age because of their lack of basic knowledge. I feel my generation deserves to hear you guys complain so keep it up.

@ bobo

Everything you said is dead on! We only had one semester of economics and government in high school. The teacher in my government class went on and on about why the Democrats were good and why the Republicans were bad and the reasons we need more taxes and more regulations while the teacher in my economics class just repeated whatever was written in the textbook.

87. Sith says

bobo??? -Sorry if I don’t understand the acronym, but I don’t see a poster called that name, and in Spanish that means silly, stupid. Is that what you meant?

88. Artie43 says

I take it the mint probably made a few more of the Reagan FS coins than it has in recent issues. It looks like the mint isn’t going to pull these from their website until sold out since 2014 are still for sale. Last week a poster said we are finally at finish line now that the Reagan is out. Heck, we may not even be in the home stretch yet. It could be 2 or 3 more years before we think we know the lowest minted. Then we will have to wait 2 or 3 more years to get the final audited numbers before we really know the low.

89. earthling says

Know the low? Hey great rhyme.

All I know is that interest in these poorly executed Coins is very low. It seems like most Americans don’t even know the FS Coins even exist. Most of them probably would think they’re only worth $10. I’ll bet some would spend them like a $1 coin.

Bought a beautiful gold Jacqueline Kennedy FS in OGP today for $637.00.
    That’s presently $47.00 under spot.

91. NcCoinCollector says

I heard tell that markets don’t work quite right without the rule of law. A NYPD officer can choke someone to death for selling loose cigarettes but can’t arrest someone for selling junk financial instruments that harm generations of Americans? The Fed can unilaterally purchase trillions of so called assets and debase the currency without a peep from Congress? I cannot in good conscience criticize anyone who does not care to play that game.

I too am wondering where the silver eagles and medals are.

92. DBR says

@ Leo regarding FS series’ long term prospects:

I’m a Gen X-er and my dad was a history teacher. I still don’t have interest in the FS series.

Call me crazy but some of the presidential dollars deserved to be minted in real gold as collectors’ pieces. Why the FS coins in gold?

As mentioned, the FS series has low mintages going for it and it’s hard to spot and predict trends. The public can be fickle. One day you’re in style and the next day you’re out of style.

Gold is always out of the reach of most people no matter what it’s price. The collecting base for the FS series has to be affluent.

As future presidents and First Ladies/Husbands emerge there could be some standout figures that spark interest in FS coins, but the collecting base will always be elites and not average collectors for this series.

I dare say that even if we do away with coin and paper currency altogether and only go with those new IOI PayCards (rechargeable cards that act like debit cards now given out as “paychecks”), coins will still be valuable because collectors cherish antiquated things.

There’s a lot of psychology in trends and in explaining the desirability of any given collectible.

For instance, there is a subset of millennials who are really fond of vinyl records again. They may like iTunes but they are intrigued by vinyl records and their sound. Go figure!

You see, there’s “old” and then there’s “vintage.” Snob appeal kicks in and collectors love it too. Don’t underestimate the power of nostalgia either!

If you can own something from your childhood – from a bygone era- that has tremendous appeal to all people unless your heart is made of ice.

93. Sith says

@NcCoinCollector – Its actually worst, The Fed blackmailed Congress, so they would go against the majority of their constituents, for their own good of course.

94. Zaz says

“Memphis, we have a problem.”

Has anybody’s APE gotten out of processing purgatory with the brand new to the Mint UPS Express Worldwide Express Saver Signature shipping method to a PO box yet? I bet the managers are unwilling to release the orders because of the signature requirement from a third party instead of the actual recipient’s signature. Order on hold Most likely for “better address” or better yet a street address for high dollar amount orders. FedEx Smartpost POB orders would’ve gone out the door by now. Don’t know why they switched from USPS priority mail signature to save a buck if that per order? Means gotta make a call to straighten out yet another hapless Mint. It’s like dealing with the Russians.

95. cagcrisp says

@Zaz, “Has anybody’s APE gotten out of processing purgatory with the brand new to the Mint UPS Express Worldwide Express Saver Signature shipping method to a PO box yet?”

96. cagcrisp says

There will NOT be a Gold increase this afternoon.

There WILL be a Platinum increase this afternoon…

97. data dave says

@cagcrisp – But will there be a silver price increase? I think someone has posted before that it takes a month and has to be posted in the federal register or something? So the first step is to take the coins into Unavailable status, then post the new prices and then bring the coins back? With silver at 20.20 this morning the Mint might wake up and start thinking about it.

98. Dave SW FL says

Low mintage modern collectors beware! Just take a look at the “premium ” coins of the past decade.
    ALL First Spouse coins are severely down around (even BELOW) melt.
    Atlanta Olympic golds ALL drastically reduced to near melt.
    Bimetallic- the premium coin- huge drop.
    Jackie Robinson, FDR, Capitol Visitors Center, and on and on…….

NOW is a great time to START collecting these, but those who jumped on the bandwagon when they were low mintage hype wonders got severely burned. I know I did with the Olympic flag bearer.

But now most can be had at or near melt, so if you expect gold to continue up, you can get some nice ” bullion ” COINS at a great price – if you are patient. Look at SOLD prices on the Bay and you will see that some are still way overpaying yet others are getting fantastic deals on the same exact coin!

99. baldwin says

Silver prices dropped at $20. If it triggered a price drop why would it trigger a price increase?

100. The Real "Cool" Brad says

That is the ugliest coin I have seen in a while. It is a shame that it’s the only presidential coin issued with a president who served while I was alive.

Has any one received their APE yet?

This is the one coin in which the mint hasn’t released a pre-release photo of it, I’m anticipating a nice “Wow” to accompany it.

102. jy says

@kcso, got my APE today. wow indeed. personally it is one of my favorite purchases from the mint so far. looking forward to the gold centennials (if they ever release them lol)

103. chris says

I did order a unit – due for delivery tomorrow by UPS gnd.
    FYI – coinnews posts good photos when the coin is in hand.

It has occurred to me that an ideal display case for the three 2016 Centennial Gold coins would be the same case used for the 2008-W Buffalo Gold 4-Coin Set. One would fill the 1 oz slot with a 2016-W uncirculated Buffalo gold coin, which would provide a representative of the nickel coin that was in circulation in 1916. If one discards the outer sleeve and COA, there is nothing indicating “Buffalo” coins remaining.

Here’s an example of one which is currently for sale:

Too bad the Mint missed a golden opportunity to issue the 2016 Centennial Gold coins as a set.

105. Leo S says

@DBR

Thanks for the comments. I guess it will just be pot luck if these ever go up. I still like the series but I’m a history buff and all the president stories are interesting.

I wonder what the US Treasurer actually does all day — the position seems to be yet another unnecessary layer of government management. According to the official job description:

In 2002, the Office of the Treasurer underwent further reorganization. The U.S. Treasurer advises the Secretary on matters relating to coinage, currency and the production of other instruments by the United States. In addition, the Treasurer serves as a senior advisor and representative of the Treasury on behalf of the Secretary in the areas of community development and public engagement.

Why does a Treaurer step down with only 7 months left on the job after a 7 year tenure?

The final 7 months are a free pay check.., if it’s personal, take a leave of absence.., hmmmmm…

108. cagcrisp says

Those that own a 2016 Platinum Proof now Officially own a $1,400.00 coin …
    …and…If things don’t change it will be a $1,450.00 coin this time next week…

…and the Winged Liberty dime will be a $220.00 coin this time next week…

109. Dave SW FL says

KCSO,

The fringe benefits far outweigh the salary. Lifetime pension, private jumbo jet, lifetime security, private limo, etc.

110. So Krates says

They should promote the jarhead at the mint, he’s doing such a great job.

111. Jeff says

Platium spot price 1 oz. $1072.40 platinum bought from U.S. Mint $1400-$1450 depending on the day $400 profit per coin. Can’t make this up suckers. And try to sell in an emergency to your local coin shop or pawn shop haha haha haha, can’t fool me no suckers here.

112. So Krates says

@ Zaz – I’m in processing purgatory as well. I got in @ 12:01 but I think the reason is something other than the PO Box/UPS/upgrade situation.

In my case, I used a debit card. I went to the bank a couple of hours before kickoff and deposited enough cash to cover the APE. To my surprise, the transaction did not go through. I found out from my bank that the charge was denied because the balance wasn’t available until a few hours after (noon). Since bank systems have been “live” for 30+ years? I assumed cash was instantly available. Not at this major regional bank! Seems they only stamp your receipt by hand and the transaction gets processed a few hours later at the back office. Cash included. I checked Regulation CC which governs funds availability and the law only requires next day availability for cash deposits. NOT SAME DAY. Seems you can ask the branch manager to override and make cash instantly available if time is of the essence. Wish I had known that little loophole BEFORE the APE launch.

So the mint rep resubmitted the charge successfully at 8:00 am Friday and it was debited from my bank acct. but the credit card people at the mint have since failed to release the order due to being “backed up”. This morning a rep said in 1-2 business days it should be released and email w/tracking should be generated.

113. Erik H says

As many have said before, there is no such thing as “First In First Out” at the Mint.

First order @ 12:01 has posted to CC but has not shipped. Method: UPS Worldwide Express Saver direct to PO Box.

Second order @ 12: 40 has not posted to CC but shipped today. Method: UPS Ground to PO Box via street address.

Customer service says economy shipping could take up to two weeks for orders but had no explanation of how a later order using “Economy Shipping” could ship first. I also explained that orders of $300 or more get upgraded shipping but again she had no answer.

Oh, & the shear add a nice dimension to it, it flows really well I think and bring out the depth among the devices

115. earthling says

I got 3 shipments coming in from the Mint, BUT, no current tracking data shows. It’s all that ” upgraded” shipping from UPS, FED-EX, and USPS.

How does one line up that shipping during ordering that will bypass all this budget shipping and 3rd rate upgraded budget shipping?

I’ve searched my US Mint profile so many times but just cant figure out how to change my shipping options.

116. Goat says

how to change my shipping options.?
    In checkout at the address is a drop down box ,choose address. Default to address.

117. Erik H says

Goat & earthling,

If you have a PO Box, the only shipping option they give you is “Economy”. Why can’t the “US” Mint use the “US” Post Office for shipping priority anymore?

118. earthling says

Eric H

Thanks for finally giving me some understanding about my shipping options. I’m stuck in the Detroit Metro area so shipping to a PO Box is the only option I will ever go for. Something about a box of US Mint products just dumped off for the vultures just doesn’t seem right. Having something delivered to Ratts in a Post Office doesn’t seem much better …. but what else is there?

I guess I’ll give the physical address of the PO option a try.

119. Jeff says

KCSO I just hate seeing juveniles taken advantage of, even if they think there adults and should know better when someone is being run over . Being blind is no excuse bruh.

120. Goat says

Eric H;
    Much about what you asked (shipping) has been asked many times here at MNB, I don’t think/read the matters have been resolved. Wished I had the answers , I like most are looking for the best quality and have ordered early and late (months latter) and end up with better coins sometimes .

My platinum in hand WOW !!!! Outer sleeve is not tight so when I opened the shipping box up ,the box the coin is in slid out onto a soft landing thankfully . Dad got his today also but only stated he got it , find out later what he thanks?