Public Invited to Meet CCAC Members at ANA Summer Seminar in June

ATBAll

Recent CCAC design recommendations for 2017 America the Beautiful quarters.

On June 27 and 28, Members of the Citizen’s Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) will attend the American Numismatic Association’s Summer Seminar at Colorado College, where they will hold a meeting and attend a breakfast for attendees of the annual event.

The CCAC meeting will take place on the evening of Monday, June 27, and will be open to the public as well as students, teachers, and ANA staff members. Topics of discussion will include:

• proposals for 2018 America the Beautiful quarter designs
  • sketches for President Obama’s presidential medal
  • the future of the palladium coinage program

The breakfast for CCAC members and seminar attendees will take place the next morning, on June 28.

“Most of us are longtime collectors ourselves,” CCAC chair Mary N. Lannin said in a release shared by committee member Dennis Tucker. “We look forward to sharing ideas and hearing opinions from the hobby community to aid in formulating our recommendations.”

The CCAC was created in 2003 to advise the U.S. Treasury Secretary on themes, designs, mintages, and proposals regarding our nation’s coins, medals, and commemorative issues. Four spots on the 11-person committee are reserved for candidates nominated by members of Congress, while the remaining seven seats are filled by an individual with knowledge in American history, one with expertise in numismatics, one with experience in numismatic curation, one with knowledge in medallic arts or sculpture, and three who are deemed qualified to represent the interests of the general public.

The 2016 Summer Seminar will run from June 18-30. The ANA’s seminars have been held for more than 40 years, offering classes and other educational opportunities on a variety of numismatic subjects, including grading, counterfeits, U.S. coin history, and coin photography. Students range in age from teenagers to seniors. For more information on this year’s Summer Seminar, please visit the Web site of the American Numismatic Association.

Comments

1. gary says

I was at the A.N.A. summer seminars in 2003 and 2004 and had a wonderful time with other long time coin nerds! 🙂 Highly recommend it to all!

2. Xena says

KSCO – Annandale Coin Show is in a couple of weeks. Maybe you could strike up a deal there.

3. MikeinPA says

I was reading in coin world that the RCM is releasing a $200 face value coin in the shape of the delta shield in .999 gold with a mintage of 1500 for$1,299.95 Canadian, would like to get hold of one, Sept 6 release planned

4. Dave SW FL says

For a series which was supposed to feature National Parks and national sites, there certainly are a lot of PEOPLE highlighted !

5. Jerry Diekmann says

Dave SW FL – IMO there should be no people shown on any of the ATB coins. If the Mint wanted a person to honor, they should have put Stephen mather on one of the NPS coins – it would have more fitting tribute to a great environmentalist than another stalk of celery geyser that now “graces” the silver dollar. Both sides of that coin are just a big disappointment – the artists could have, and should have, done so much better.

Xena – thanks, good to know. Maybe if I park my butt outside Nat’s stadium and tape a red koozi to them I could move some that way, worse case barter a couple of beers for each given how expense those are.

Question –

Has anyone been a Coin Forum prior to an AtB coin launch before?

I’m curious as to the Format and how it is conducted.

Also, who from the mint is represented. Is it leadership or middle management?

Is it casual and possible to have a side bar? Or is it very formal?

I’d like to go to one as I have some questions to ask though was wondering if it’s worth the time and effort, or I’d just get the “we’ll release that information when it’s available” answers.

Thanks much

In ref: to MikeinPA………..The RCM has already sold out of the 2016 $200 Star Trek Gold Delta Coin and they start shipping next month

9. cagcrisp says

2009 Ultra High Relief vs. Spot Gold bullion vs. SPY

2009 Ultra High Relief:

Offered on January 22nd, 2009 at an Initial Mint Price of $1,189.00. First Day Sales 28,173. Offered until end of year 2009. Final Sales numbers of 115,178. Final Sales price from the Mint for $1,489.00.
    Currently (May 26th, 2016) a Major coin distributor (Liberty Coin) sold one on the bay for $2,045.00. (Has sold 25 since February 12th, 2016, at $2,045.00 price or LESS).
    IF purchased Day 1 ($1,189.00) that’s a 72% gain ($2,045.00) from Day 1 (Not considering shipping cost and not considering cost of bay fees and pal fees IF you were purchasing/selling for profit).
    IF purchased Last Day ($1,489.00) that’s a 37% gain ($2,045.00) from Last Day (Not considering shipping cost and not considering cost of bay fees and pal fees IF you were purchasing/selling for profit)

Spot Gold bullion:

Spot Gold bullion closed January 22nd, 2009, at $855.70.
    Spot Gold bullion closed December 31st, 2009 at $1,096.35.
    Spot Gold bullion closed May 27th, 2016, at $1,213.30.

IF you purchased Spot Gold bullion on January 22nd, 2009, and sold same Spot Gold bullion on May 27th, 2016, you would have a gain of 42%.
    IF you purchased Spot Gold bullion on December 31st, 2009, and sold same Spot Gold bullion on May 27th, 2016, you would have a gain of 11%.

SPY:

SPY on January 22nd, 2009, ended at Price Adjusted cost of $71.23.
    SPY on December 31st, 2009, ended at Price Adjusted cost of $98.14.
    SPY closed Friday May 27th, 2016, Price Adjusted of $210.24.

IF you purchased SPY ($71.23) on the Exact same day as Launch of the 2009 (January 22nd) and sold on May 27th, 2016, for $210.24 you would have a 195% gain.
    IF you purchased SPY ($98.14) on the Exact same day as the Last day offered for the 2009 (December 31st) and sold on May 27th, 2016, for $210.24 you would have a 114% gain.

SO…Comparing the 2009 Ultra High Relief vs. Spot Gold bullion vs. the SPY

Launch Day January 22nd, 2009: Ultra High Relief 72% vs. Spot Gold bullion 42% vs. SPY 195%
    Last Day December 31st, 2009: Ultra High Relief 37% vs. Spot Gold bullion 11% vs. SPY 114%

SO…IF you had purchased 100 oz. of 2009 Ultra High Relief on January 22nd, 2009:

Cost: $118,900.00

IF you had purchased $118,900.00 shares of SPY on January 22nd, 2009:

Cost: $118,900.00
    Shares purchased: 1,669.24
    Current Value (May 27th, 2016): $350,941.12
    Profit: $232,041.12
    Profit Margin: 195%

SO…IF you had purchased 100 oz. of 2009 Ultra High Relief on December 31st, 2009:

Cost: $148,900.00

Cost: $148,900.00
    Shares purchased: 1,517.22
    Current Value (May 27th, 2016): $318,980.40
    Profit: $170,080.40
    Profit Margin: 114%

10. cagcrisp says

In Above post I see that the last time I used ‘January 22nd’ it should have been ‘December 31st’…

11. cagcrisp says

@Dustyroads, I trade the SPY. I may be Long, out OR Short all in the same day…

EVERYTHING is point in time. Flippers flip and traders trade. You can’t afford to fall in love with a position…

I’ll just take the $148,900 and figure it out later after a vacation…

It’s doing very well right now, better than I thought it would be not long ago. No luck. Keep up the good work.

Keep Calm & Stack On! says
    MAY 28, 2016 AT 10:19 AM

Oh, quick question for the Blog – I have boxes of $1 Silver Baseball Hall of Fame coins (Proof & UNC) that I just need to get out from under, and prefer to unload like wholesale, in a cash transaction.

Any thoughts on how to unload en mass? Any dealers, organizations, or venues that may be interested? Wholesale, for cash?

Thanks

Really man? You went that DEEP on those eh? You were all excited. You know where to go. Heritage if you have a bunch, They grade em and auction em. Or you just call any of the dealers online or TV. They are willing to give u spot for them. Hang on til after the election. Coins don’t demand premiums for at least 10 years, remember the golden rule?

15. Hawkster says

KC& SO,
    You ask how you can unload your hoard of silver HOF coins. I would suggest a summer trip to the beautiful community of Cooperstown, NY where you could hawk your coins to the sleu of baseball souvenir shops that line Main St. adjacent to the Hall of Fame.

16. Buzz Killington says

@cag

Is the point of your comparison to say that even coins that perform well are not good as investments, and one should be investing in the market?

Is there anyone here who still doesn’t know that?

Your analysis neglects to mention the ease of buying and selling stocks or shares, as opposed to the difficulty of unloading 100s of one ounce gold coins.

17. Tom P. - MA says

@ cag

I know someone somewhere asked for your analysis, but cherry picking dates doesn’t prove anything. You are pretty much using the stock market low points. For instance use the price of gold from Jan 2006. Do a comparison of the S&P vs gold from 2014.

All I’m saying is that it all depends on when you got in and out. Sure there are tons of posters who claim to get in and out on the correct dates, but that’s just not possible. If they really are so smart, they wouldn’t be wasting time on internet blogs.

18. cagcrisp says

@Buzz Killington, I was trying to show that things are relative. There has been a couple of posts in the past few days referencing the buying power of the USD since 1950 and the other post referencing the increase in Spot Gold price from the fall of 2015 vs. the SPY. I intentional omitted brokerage costs and easy of buying/selling stocks just like I didn’t mention that the capital gains on collectable such as coins are subject to a maximum of 28% capital gains rate vs. a maximum rate of 20% capital gains on stocks.

I used the 2009 Ultra High Relief for a comparison because for some reason it is the poster child for a successful Mint to Demand with a HH limit of 1( initially) . The facts are that yes indeed the 2009 Ultra High Relief was a success, however, it wasn’t a success because it was MTD nor was it successful because it had a low HH limit and it was not successful compared to a same dollar investment in the stock market…

Happy Memorial all. I hope no one lets the day pass without coming to terms with the valor of a few so the many can sleep in peace.

20. cagcrisp says

@Tom P. – MA, ” For instance use the price of gold from Jan 2006. Do a comparison of the S&P vs gold from 2014. ”

Spot Gold 10 years ago 05/26/2006 = $652.65

Loss = ($87.74)
    Profit Margin = (-7%)

SPY Adjusted Price 2 years ago 05/27/2014 = $183.92
    SPY Adjusted Price 05/27/2016 = $210.24
    Profit = $26.32
    Profit Margin = 14%

Yes, it’s amazing. It’s all so grandiose. But as I said, it’s a good time to be very alert.

22. Dave SW FL says

Thanks to the brave who sacrificed life and limb so we could live in freedom. God Bless America and especially the families of our servicemen and women who lost their lives for us. They are the true heroes of our nation.

23. So Krates says

Cagcrisp says, “…and the other post referencing the increase in Spot Gold price from the fall of 2015 vs. the SPY.”

I assume you are referring to my comment on the last thread illustrating the net effect the rate increase (12/16/15) had on the gold price. I offered no performance comparison with SPY because as I said once before they are in two completely difference asset classes with too many variables. Not apples to oranges, but apples to pizza.

But these comparisons are always quite fun, especially with a specific coin. Imagine walking into your LCS with 100 UHRs. HAha. Good luck getting your $204,500! Not hard at all to get spot for your AGEs.

The question of 100 AGEs vs. $100K SPY encompasses much more than purely price performance on paper. As most are aware, other important aspects are preservation of purchasing power, tax implications, privacy, counter-party risk, liquidity, inflation hedging, and most of all, return OF investment.

Of course there is a place for both in a balanced portfolio.

24. bobo says

Does anyone know how many proof platinum eagles will be made this year? Again sub-4k?

25. Give Me Da Money Plz says

I would like to say thank you to all of the soldiers that gave their lives for this country so that we can sleep in peace tonight knowing that our freedoms will still be here when we wake up in the morning.

26. So Krates says

@ Jerry D.- Google + Wikipedia = Answer

The SPDR S&P 500 trust is an exchange-traded fund which trades on the NYSE Arca under the symbol SPY. SPDR is an acronym for the Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipts, the former name of the ETF. It is designed to track the S&P 500 stock market index.

27. data dave says

I think that coins through the years have made a good effort to recognize those that have fought for our country. Hopefully we continue to acknowledge those people in the future.

28. cagcrisp says

@So Krates, “Perhaps a slightly more fair comparison of price performance would be from the 1971-73 time frame when the gold price was fixed at $35-$38-$42.22 and then was officially decoupled from the dollar and began to float. 40 years is two generations, or half a lifetime – a good measure IMO.”

I can not use the time frame of 1971-73 because it was still illegal in the United States. The limitation on gold ownership in the U.S. was repealed after President Gerald Ford signed a bill in 1974 to “permit United States citizens to purchase, hold, sell, or otherwise deal with gold in the United States or abroad” with an act of Congress codified in Pub.L. 93–373.

” 40 years is two generations, or half a lifetime – a good measure IMO.”

SO…I will use 40 years for a comparison. The SPY ETF was not traded for about another 20 years so I will have to use the S&P 500 Index for comparison.

Spot Gold 40 years ago (05/27/1976) = $126.20
    Spot Gold 05/27/2016 = $1,213.30
    Profit = $1,087.10
    Profit Margin =861%

S&P 500 Index 40 years ago (05/27/1976) = 99.38
    S&P 500 Index 05/27/2016 = 2,099.06
    Profit = 1,999.68
    Profit Margin = 2012%

29. data dave says

@cagcrisp – Thanks for the data on gold and the S&P. As you said, its always relative. If you told me I was going to lose 10% of my money in gold over the next 12 months but the S&P was going down 30%, I would rather be in gold. After the 2008 debacle I have stayed invested in the market but tried to also invest in alternative areas that would fair better if (when) we have another 20 sigma “event”. I don’t believe in timing markets but I do believe the current world economic model is not sustainable and thus disruptions will continue.

30. cagcrisp says

@data dave, Thanks. I Believe as So Krates said “Of course there is a place for both in a balanced portfolio.”

I just don’t Believe Gold should be as Big a part of a portfolio as most on here do.

I would NEVER try to talk anyone in here to being in the stock market. The stock market is subject to Many Many variables and as I said I’m a trader. Traders trade. I may be Long one day and Short that same day. I NEVER fall in love with a position…

Thanks Cag for pulling the analysis together, I do really enjoy reading through it and find it quite insightful.

Due to a lack of personal time, for now I must leave the investments and money management to the professional though look forward to being more hands on when time frees up.

With that said, this coin hobby is the BEST HOBBY in the world! It truly is.., think about it,

I could be spending time and resources on professional sports in front of the TV, buying sports crap, motorcycles, rebuilding a car, women, good wine, collecting Star Wars stuff, hunting dogs and camo, have a low golf handicap, etc.., you get the picture…

But no, we have a hobby that makes us money in a fun way (and it’s a hobby that’s an inflation hedge) – how great is that?
    I love this hobby, I’m amazed at what some of my friends p___ money away on, we make money out here that’s fun to look at and study it’s history or theme.

For example, I sold 14 Merc’s and keeping 6 for gifts and self.., total outlay for the 6 is $450 and my Christmas shopping is done before June – you just can’t beat it! Now if Ag would only go up to $40 an ounce I could loose those BHoFs! haha

Wealth building doing something that you enjoy, makes you think, learn along the way, & puts value in your pocket and in the pockets of others – And that’s why this is the best hobby to have in the world!

Well, raising race horses would be awesome too, though I guess that falls in the ‘profession’ category.

32. Buzz Killington says

@KCSO —

That is a good way to look at it, a hobby with a potential upside, which most hobbies do not have. My kids would never get to open my safe deposit box full of golf memories if I was a golfer.

But @cag is totally right, it has historically been better to be in the market, like a low-fee mutual fund that tracks the S&P 500. But of course, what fun is it to be rich if you can’t occasionally buy a fancy gold coin or two. I remember reading in the Guinness Book of World Records when I was a kid, not just about the fat twins, but also the world’s biggest miser. Not a mistake I will make.

33. earthling says

I just opened an email from the US Mint. In it they do the usual pleasantries about Veterans… gratitude for service… etc. Oh that’s so sweet.

I myself am a Veteran. I joined in 1980, largely in response to the Iran Hostage situation. Anticipating a military response I joined the 1st Ranger Battalion. While I was in Basic and AIT there was a Diplomatic Solution to the situation so I never did get to go into action.

During the remainder of my 4 year enlistment I served in the 24th Infantry Division, the 509th( BCT) Airborne, and the 101st Airborne Division. Never did see any combat action but while in the 509th in Italy, we were in consideration for duty in Beirut.

Anyway, it’s nice to see the kind email from the US Mint. What would be even kinder would be if they had not STOLEN my 2015 American Gold Eagle last fall after I returned it for a refund. They showed nothing but disrespect and contempt towards me. Their words of gratitude will always ring hollow with me. The only thing they could possibly do to show any respect would be to somehow give me my Coin back or refund my money.

34. So Krates says

Unlike earthling, Donald Trump received at least 5 or 6 deferments to avoid the draft. The first four for education the second two for questionable medical reasons.

“…during a campaign stop in Iowa, Trump said he had a bone spur in his foot but couldn’t recall which one.

Pressed for details, he told reporters to research his draft records. “You’ll have to look it up,” he said. Later that day, his campaign issued a statement saying he had bone spurs in both of his heels.”

He also said he likes vets who don’t get captured, not like John McCain.

35. Matt Moon says

In memory and thanks to all the vets that died serving our country.

mgm

36. earthling says

“Coins boys and girls, coins… Not Trump, not Clinton because I’m sick of them both.

mgm”

I’m definitely sick of the Hill. She reminds me of a female version of Mitt. Trump gets my respect because he says what he wants – no fear – no polls putting words in his opinions.

Now if somehow Bernie could justify up over the Hill…… game over…. but…..

What’s the chances?

37. earthling says

” jump” not “justify”

***** darned “smart phone”

…keeps changing my words. – it’s more like a ” smart a__ phone”

38. So Krates says

Trump PUBLICLY challenges Bernie to a debate but then tries to slither out of it. What kind of character does that show?

39. Barry says

Most politicians work for themselves in most cases as evidenced by financial mismanagement to put it lightly. Clinton will keep up on the same spending spree for sure.
    With Trump there is at least some chance to change course. So those are our choices like it or lump it as they say.

40. Goat says

I like to buy and hold investments a $10000 in AAPL in 1981 along with $10000 in MSFT in 1987 has done well .

41. Felson says

So-Krates perhaps you strayed into another forum. This is a coin collectors forum, and obviously you think you found a political platform.

42. Buzz Killington says

@Felson —

I know it’s relatively early in the year, but I nominate your comment as “Worst and Most Boring Off Topic Post of the Year”

43. Felson says

BK I thank you for the nomination. I do find it fascinating that my comment towards a poster’s political ranting is considered off topic and boring and his apparently doesn’t rattle your approval meter.

44. achmed says

to be honest: this is a mint blog. Where are the comments regarding coins? I think that FELSON is right.

45. data dave says

Felson is the character Paul Newman played in the Hustler! That was back when coins were still made out of silver (1961). Does that make the comment coin related?

46. Buzz Killington says

Interesting side note — Jackie Gleason did his own pool shots in The Hustler.

47. johnaz says

Come on u. s. mint put the dimes back on sale.Before its to late,And how about the proof silver eagle.

48. joe#2 says

He did.. What an Icon… I grew up in Bensonhurst Brooklyn myself.
    As most know, The Honeymooners were supposedly based in Bensonhurst Brooklyn.
    Chauncey Street…

2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 1,614 +3

2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – HARDING 1,906 +2
    2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – COOLIDGE 1,935 +3
    2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – HOOVER 2,392 0
    2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – HOOVER 1,885 +2

53. cagcrisp says

I’ve posted before about just how Strong some Mint Gold is (AGE’s , Buffalo, Winged Liberty Head) and how Weak some Mint Gold is (NPS uncirculated).

The 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 10,054 +157 has been on Sale for 11 weeks. It has Just surpassed the Total Sales for 2015 that was listed on the website for 43 weeks.

2015 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 9,918

BuzzKillingmoRon- thanks for taking time away from your rainbow parades but Felson is right.

As for the 2016 APE proof, I hope they keep the mintage the same as the 2015.

@goat: ok. I think they will be worth more down the road but is what it is.

@cag: Appreciate the thought.

56. So Krates says

@ longarm – You gotta stop throwing around unwarranted insults and read more carefully. Buzz didn’t say he was wrong, just said it was boring. BTW did you get your Ultra High Premium Trump round yet?

57. Sith says

Wow, people can’t even keep politics out of Memorial Day.

As a reminder “Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.” As far as I can tell anyone reading this blog is still very much alive…

58. Dave SW FL says

One month later ………..STILL no distribution plan for remaining gold dimes from those whose salaries we pay at our favorite governmental department. Amazing……just amazing how totally inept this management group is.

And can anyone name another single coin which had such a high number of returns? I await your examples, but until then I am of the opinion that these are mostly big boy returns of non-70 coins.

The working stiffs still await the table scraps offered by the returners.😡

@Dave SW FL: They are figuring out a way to introduce a fake into the press to sound the alarms. (Wink)

@sokrates—Imagine what a hillary coin would look like and it’s no wonder there’s none, because no one would buy them. Can you feel the bern yet?

61. Sith says

@longarm – Would it be worst than any of the other FS coins? I remember one being described as looking like the Crypt keeper

62. data dave says

@longarm – right now I think you could presale 10K of the Hilliary proof coins if it meant she was in the same eligibility status as Nancy.

63. Dave SW FL says

Fm

Yea, the mints keystone kops needs something to do………cause ain’t nothin happnin @ the mint!

64. So Krates says

Wow that’s a nice premium! Would you rather have…

$100K SPY or 40 Trump Dollar sets ?

I’m looking forward to the2016 APE proof and I hope the HHL is 2 this time.
    data dave says
    ” right now I think you could presale 10K of the Hilliary proof coins if it meant she was in the same eligibility status as Nancy.”

I doubt that unless they said”Hillary in Prison 2016″ on them.

66. CW says

Funny how it is always the anti-Trump people who bring him up. Way to ruin a good coin discussion. No wonder this hobby is dying and failing to bring in young people.

67. Give Me Da Money Plz says

@ joe#2

I almost died after watching Jackie Gleason play Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit. He was the best.

68. So Krates says

CW says
    MAY 31, 2016 AT 5:06 PM

“Funny how it is always the anti-Trump people who bring him up”

WRONG. You are trying to rewrite history from literally yesterday. Read the blog entries carefully and you will see who brought up the GOP nominee.

69. Felson says

So-Krates it is fair to say earthling mentioned a Trump passage in regards to illegals and you took that leap to make several bash Trump comments. Here is the sum total of Trump being mentioned prior to your invective’s…

earthlings says:… “Do I think Veterans will ever get any true consideration from ANY agency of the US Government? Well , seeing as how the VA was just in a big scandal about denying timely Medical Care to ailing Veterans (resulting in many deaths) …. no, not really. As Donald Trump just said at a Veterans Rally, Illegal Aliens have more respect and privileges than American Veterans.”

70. So Krates says

Fast Eddie, you are wrong as well. Nobody reads carefully anymore?

Way before my statements of fact…

Keep Calm & Stack On! says
    MAY 28, 2016 AT 2:50 PM

“Glad to see the CCAC stands behind the Trump Rally coin!”

There was no leap. After earthling’s veteran related Trump comment (on Memorial Day), for the record, I posted a few undisputed facts about the history of the presidential candidate’s deferments. I posted a quote from his own mouth and then I paraphrased what HE said about not liking POW veterans as much. In a subsequent comment (after others posted strong opinions (Hillary is too ugly for a coin/ should be in prison, etc.)), I again stated a fact (Trump challenged Senator Sanders and then chickened out) and posed the question, “What kind of character does that show?” I offered no opinion about the man. Although off topic, my comments were VERY far from “bashing” and “invective’s” (sic) and were the third mention of Trump on the thread.