25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set on Sale October 27

The US Mint has confirmed that the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set will go on sale October 27, 2011 with shipping expected to begin in late November. Unfortunately, there are still no pricing details available.

Some details of the offering were previously provided in a US Mint press release. The five coin sets will include one proof coin struck at the West Point Mint, one uncirculated coin struck at the West Point Mint, one uncirculated coin struck at the San Francisco Mint, one reverse proof coin struck at the Philadelphia Mint, and one bullion coin. As indicated elsewhere, the coins will carry the appropriate mint marks, with the exception of the bullion coin, which will not have a mint mark.

Through other product offerings or channels, the US Mint has already offered an uncirculated coin struck at West Point, a proof coin struck at West Point, and bullion coin. Based on available information, it seems that the two remaining coins will be unique to the 25th Anniversary Set.

From the press release, the Mint plans to produce “up to 100,000” of the sets with a household order limit of 5.

A lot of people are speculating on the price for the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set. My guess would be above $300, maybe $320 to $350. In recent history, US Mint numismatic product prices tend to be higher than collectors expect. I might be wrong, but we will see.

It doesn’t always work to add up the prices of individual coins included within a multi-coin product. Back in 2006, the US Mint offered the 20th Anniversary Gold and Silver Eagle Set for $850. Later (and I believe concurrent with the offering) the one ounce 2006-W Gold Eagle and 2006-W Silver Eagle contained in the set were available individually for $720 and $19.95, or $739.95.

To provide some additional data, the 2006 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set containing an uncirculated coin, proof coin, and reverse proof coin was priced at $100 per set. At the time, the proof coin was priced individually at $27.95 and the uncirculated coin was later offered for $19.95. The market price of silver was around $12 per ounce.

At the end of the day (as long as the product limit remains 100,000 or less and the two potentially unique coins are unique), secondary market prices will be almost immediately significantly higher than whatever the US Mint issue price is.

Comments

I’m more curious as to why the hinted-at production limit of 100,000 sets was not included on the preliminary product page. Are we all going to be duped? The Mint might say “Gee, there’s so much demand for these, let’s make 200,000 more sets!” I’d like to think they wouldn’t do that and further anger the collector base, but you just never know anymore.

Regardless of mintage, there’s no way the Mint will be “giving” these away at that $229.95 price on the product index page. That has to be a mistake.

2. Two Cents says

Me, I’m still hoping for a 5-ounce silver 25th Anniversary American Eagle coin. It would look great in a 3-inch size, and it would be a fitting tribute to this popular coin. I’d buy several at $229.95, the same as an ATB 5-ouncer.

As for the planned 25th Anniv. Silver Set with 5 different one-ounce coins, I am disappointed in the color choice (dark blue?) of the wooden box. I certainly hope that the actual box has more of a brown finish like the mahogany of the Ultra High Relief gold coin.

I’m also not impressed with the arrangement of the coins. It doesn’t show much imagination to just lay them out one after the other in a straight line. A better choice would be to arrange them in a pentagon shape with the words “25th Silver Anniversary” in the middle. Or in a cross shape, Or arranged in three rows with two coins in the first row, then one in the second row, and the remaining two in the last row. Anyway, something more imaginative than five in a row.

No matter what the box or arrangement is, though, I will still buy the set. Just saying that it could have been planned better.

3. Two Cents says

Here is some info on the 25th Anniv. Silver Set from the Oct. 31 issue of Coin World:

According to Oct. 12 statements from Tom Jurkowsky, Director of the Mint’s Office of Public Affairs, mintage of the set is confirmed at 100,000. All of the coins for the set, including the unique Reverse Proofs and “S” mintmarked Uncirculateds, have already been minted and placed in plastic capsules. The coins will be assembled into the sets at the San Francisco Mint at the end of October, and shipment is expected to commence in late November.

Regarding the individual coins, the “W” Proof , “P” Reverse Proof, and the “W” Uncirculated (burnished finish) coins were struck in late August and September. The “S” Uncirculated (burnished) coins were struck in Sept. and Oct. The bullion coins included in the set are the ones minted at the San Francisco Mint (with no mintmark).

Jurkowsky said that for the Reverse Proof coins, “The entire die face is brilliantly polished using hand and auto-polishing techniques, the flat field area on the die is then textured using a laser finishing system and the detail and artwork remain polished. The dies are then coated with chrome-nitride that is applied using a physical vapor deposition process.”

Not mentioned was the set’s price, except to say that “pricing will be set as close as possible to the release date and is subject to change throughout the life of the program.” As for the so-called “custom-designed, highly-polished, lacquered hardwood presentation case,” Coin World used the image from the Mint’s website, so nothing new on that.

4. Clair Hardesty says

This is actually important news. This means that sealed sets sent in for grading will be able to have the bullion coin labeled as coming from the San Francisco mint, making them more valuable than they would be if they were from West Point or if their origin was unknown. While San Francisco bullion coins are not unique to this set, at least for this year they are far less common than West Point coins.

Clair – loads of ASE sealed monster boxes from the San Fran mint went to the TPG’s. I agree there is less than West Point, but as for more of a premium, only time will tell if that holds. It’s kind of like tap water and Perrier, they both look the same in a glass. For those in which this is a “must have” they aren’t that hard to get. Now if you can get the 25th Anniversary label on there, that’s good. Of course if you can get the whole set in a multi-holder with a 70 grade, you really in there. It will be hard for lightning to strike 5 times. Personally, I tend to stay away from coins that rely on the packaging to let you know what it is, but it seems to be the craze for a section of the collectors. Mine will remain OGP, not too concerned about anything other than nice eye appeal. Then again I’m not selling. Good luck on a nice set(s).

6. VABEACHBUM says

I like the way you think, VA Bob. All I’m hoping for is a very nice, complete set w/ the OGP and COA – just like the rest of my modern coins. Years from now, I’ll be interested to see just how many sets of 5 single slabs or multi-slabs get separated from the rest of the packaging.

Based on the comments from you and from Clair, I do have to wonder how the TPGs will label the 25th Anny Set Bullion (w/out the S) coin. Because it will be unique to the set and the slabs will most likely will have a special label, I don’t think the TPGs will reference the “S” at all. Rather, the identification will be very similar to the current bullion labels: “25th Anniversary Set, 2011 Eagle S$1, MS-69.” The combination of the special label without any particular Mint mark (2011 W, 2011 W, 2011 P, 2011 S) will have to be the bullion coin from the San Francisco Mint.

7. Clair Hardesty says

I don’t know how many sets I will be able to buy but I do know that I will not be sending them in for grading and slabbing in the near term at least. All of the label proliferation of recent years and my personal experiences have seriously put me off TPGs. I will open and enjoy one set for sure but may keep any others I am able to purchase sealed in their mint shipping boxes to maintain their resale value. If I am able to afford five sets, I would have to consider sending all of the sets in for grading in the not too unreasonable hope that I could then put together a set of MS/PR70 coins, something which will most likely have significant value. Even then, I think I would remove a set (the lesser coins probably) to return to their original capsules for my personal collection. I like raw coins to the extent that I usually buy two each of the annual sets that are sealed (like the uncirculated sets) so I can break the coins out of one set for photographing and direct viewing without the intervening plastic.While the bullion coin in the anniversary set will have no mint mark and should not be described as a “2011-S” on the label, the TPGs might mention San Francisco as they will for coins delivered in sealed monster boxes that come from the SF mint. While I personally am a steadfast believer in buying the coin and not the label, there people out there who will pay a premium for the three non unique coins that are labeled as having been part of an anniversary set and if they want to give me their money I will probably let them.

8. simon says

I’m amazed to hear so many valuable and positive comments about coins in OGP. I have myself eschewed TPGs, after some very negative experiences with PCGS. All my purchases these last few years are original USMint purchases in OGP, which I appreciate a lot more than the bland TPG packaging. In addition there is nothing better than having a perfect coin in OGP – I have a 100X microscope, and always scan my USMint purchases right after I receive them. Many of them have one – to – none small tick, and perfect edges, which would qualify them as TPG 70s. I have no plans to have any of my coins now or in the future handled by any TPG agents.

9. Silver Sam says

Thank you all for your recent insights. I plan to buy 5 sets, but as I understand, I will have to buy one set that I want graded individually so that it will be in a sealed mint mail packaging. I would then have to purchase the other four sets in another order for me to keep as my own for sale down the road, but not able to get a TPG seal as 25th anniversary no????

Please advise and thanks.

VABEACHBUM – If I were a betting man, I’d venture to say I believe the TPG WILL mention the San Fran coin on the label. Not into the plastic or labels myself, but for those that do the San Fran w/ 25th Anni, FS, MS70 might be the “real” winner in the bunch. Most have their eye on the reverse proof, but I’m inclined to believe the UNC “S” will have fewer 70 grades. Again, pity it would have to stay in the slab to prove it.

Clair- I believe it will boil down to how the Mint ships them. I’m thinking all sets in one box. Are they individually sealed (tamper resistant)? If no, I’m pretty sure that if one opens the outermost shipping box, they are not eligible for FS after the cut-off date. In fact, since some of the coins have all ready been released, any open box will be ineligible. If you want to send some in and keep some OGP, it would probably be best to submit separate orders. Pity one can’t take a peek to see if they are wasting their time/money. It’s a risk, but it could pay off.

Simon – OGP, always been my favorite.

Silver Sam – I believe your plan is sound if you are buying multiple sets and want some graded some OGP. I’m reasonably sure the mints going to put all ordered sets in one box, with no way for the TPG’s to know if these have been “seeded” with existing coins or combined to save money once opened. Better to split your order and take a chance IMO. There will only be a one shot chance for these.

11. Silver Sam says

VABob, Simon, Clair, all others,

Thanks for your valuable comments on this board. There all enlightning and so useful.

12. Clair Hardesty says

Because these sets will sell out and most likely in less than one week, any sealed set should be eligible for FS or ER designation, it is just a matter of where the TPGs set the submission dates. There will be no question that a sealed set was purchased in the first month even if the packaging lacks a legible date. Hopefully the TPGs won’t take anyone’s money to affix FS or ER labels to these coins. Of course, the three non-unique coins will have to be delivered to TPGs in mint sealed packaging to qualify for 25th anniversary set labeling. I actually think that there is a good chance of some very high quality coins being delivered in these sets. It appears from mint comments that all of the coins, even the non-unique ones, were minted specifically for inclusion in the anniversary set. To me that says that the press operators knew that the coins were destined for something special and even the bullion coins may have received at least some extra attention. Also the heavy involvement of the staff of the San Francisco mint, where most of our proof coins originate, may lead to higher than normal quality. Only time will tell but I have some hope. I will be most interested in seeing the TPG grade distributions. I guess I will try to order one set after another and pay the extra $4.95 per set to guarantee that I get individually sealed sets.

13. vaughnster says

Clair–

I can only speak through my dealings with PCGS and they will gladly take your money for First Strike designation, which is a hefty $18 per coin. I don’t think they’ll waive that fee. So it will cost $160 per 5 coin set to have PCGS grade them as First Strike coins. The only way that would be worth it is if they all come back as 70’s. That’s going to be the risk since you can’t open the package to inspect the coins! Even without the FS designation it will still cost $70 to have the five coins slabbed. Oh, and don’t forget about insured delivery charges both ways!! This might be a set better off left in the OGP and if you wanted to resell at one point, have a couple still sealed in the US MInt shipping box. The TPG’s are licking their chops on this upcoming release!!

14. Two Cents says

I have been trying to find out, with no success, the answer to the following:

If a sealed Mint mailing box with five 25th Anniversary Silver Sets is sent to PCGS or NGC for grading, and the grading services offer multiple-coin holders, will they pick and choose the highest-graded coins into the holders? For example, if there is one different PF/MS70 coin in each of the five sets with the remainder of the coins in PF/MS69, will they slab all five different PF/MS70 coins into one multiple-coin holder, and the other PF/MS69 coins in the other four holders?

Or will they grade the sets one set at a time, and insert the coins into the multiple-coin holder as a set, regardless of the grade.

My thinking is that they will grade the sets one at a time, creating one slab with a hodge-podge of graded coins. Or do they have an extra fee for doing what I just described? If so, it may be worth it to pay the fee to get a single multiple-coin holder with all coins in the highest-possible grade, maybe with all being PF/MS70 (though it would be highly unlikely that the uncirculated coins would grade that high). If so, it would be better to order all five sets at one time and receive them in one sealed box for submission to PCGS and NGC.

I remember seeing one of the home-shopping networks selling sets of the State Quarters and 2009 Lincoln Cents in multiple-coin holders from either PCGS or NGC, in which all coins were graded PF70. At the time, I thought they were pretty lucky to get all of the coins in the ultimate grade in one holder. Of course, the prices were ridiculously high.

I have sent emails to the grading services, but have not had a reply. I would like to hear from any collectors out there that have personal experience with their multiple-coin holders.

Thank you, everyone here is a valuable resource, and I always look forward to reading your insightful comments.

15. Silver Sam says

I have never set in coins for grading.As regards this 25th anniversary set, I intend to send in one sealed set in original mint mailer. Can I have an address for either PCGS or NGC?, and do you send a check to include fee and insurance/shipping charges from them back?, or does it require a money order etc?

Thanks for any input!

Ignorant Silver Sam

16. vaughnster says

Silver Sam,

You need to sign up as a member first to be able to submit coins for grading. PCGS memberships run from $50-$300 a year.The higher fees offer some free submissions. It is quite involved sending in coins the first few times until you get the hang of it. Good luck.

17. Two Cents says

Silver Sam,

Go to their websites for the info you seek:

PCGS – pcgs.com
    NGC – ngccoin.com

There is also ANACS (American Numismatic Association Certification Service) – anacs.com

For PCGS grading, you can also go thru an authorized PCGS coin dealer, who will do the submission for you. You pay all fees, including shipping, to the dealer and he takes care of the rest. More info is on their website.

18. Clair Hardesty says

I just looked back at my mint receipts and this set is priced $2.30 less than I paid for five uncirculated W SAEs when they first came out (before the recent price reduction). In that light, this set is a huge bargain. Also, if we look at five year charts for gold & silver spot prices, where they are today is right in line with those charts with the recent surge sticking out as an anomaly. To me that says that it will take some major game changing event to drop the spots significantly for the long haul and that, coupled with the numismatic uniqueness of this set makes it a reasonably low risk investment. It is about as close to a sure thing as you get in the coin world. I strongly urge that no one pay for FS or ER labels, not only because I don’t like them in general but because buyers will know that all of the sets qualified for the label and there is nothing special about coins that have it. I don’t think it will ever return the money paid out. Conversely, getting the 25th anniversary set label on the non unique coins will probably increase their value in the marketplace compared to coins that lack the label, even though there will be no difference in the coins themselves so it is probably worth it to keep your sets sealed if you have any plans of slabbing them. All information I have seen says that you need to put in five orders if you want to get five individually sealed sets. If anyone has any more positive information about that please chime in.

19. Silver Sam says

Clair,

You among others provide so much insight into this forum. Thanks for the time and effort you make!

I’m thinking of send a set in for grading too. I’ll have to find out the percentage of coins that came back as MS70 from the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle set to help make my decision.

21. Colton says

Just wanted to address one comment made earlier, the 2006 20th anniv did not sell out in 2 weeks. They went onsale in August and I’m showing orders through October so definately not 2 weeks. There was not the same flipper base in 2006 compared to the present, and individual sealed sets from 2006 peaked at 900 each and sealed boxes of 10 hit 9K. These should not be compared to any other mint products such as the ATb’s becuase there is no defined collector base for those items…Apples and oranges.

22. Steve says

For all of posts that thought this would take a few days to sell out, I knew it would be quick, this is Silver Eagles that we are talking about, do you know how many people collect these, it’s also the 25th Anniversary set with a low mintage of 100,000, this set has Two coins only availible in this set, how many more clues to a few hour sell out do you need. With a million collectors out there common sence would tell you that they would be sitting on line ready to push the order button right when they went on sale, I got my order in 4 hours into the sale and just recieved it on 11-15.