50th Anniversary Kennedy Silver Set Limited to 300,000

Ahead of the start of sales next week on Tuesday, October 28, the United States Mint has announced a product limit of 300,000 units for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection.

kennedy-collection

The eagerly anticipated product will contain four 2014 Kennedy Half Dollars struck in 90% silver and carrying the original 1964 portrait by Gilroy Roberts. The four coins will each be struck at different mint facilities and carry a different finish. A coin struck at West Point will have a reverse proof finish, a coin from Philadelphia will have a proof finish, a coin from San Francisco will have an enhanced uncirculated finish, and a coin from Denver will have an uncirculated finish.

Up until now, the US Mint had not indicated a product limit for the silver coin collection, although a household ordering limit of five sets had been specified. The price will be $99.95 for each collection.

In anticipation of high demand for the launch, the US Mint will have more than 180,000 units immediately available when sales begin on October 28. The collection can be purchased online at catalog.usmint.gov or by phone at 1-800-USA-MINT.

Ahead of this major product release, the US Mint has once again asked customers to log into their online account to reset their password if they have not already done so. After the launch of the US Mint’s new retail website and order management system on October 1, a password reset was required for all existing customers.

Updates on Other 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Products

A product limit of 200,000 units has now been established for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set. This product originally went on sale July 24, 2014 and contains clad composition half dollars from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints struck with an uncirculated finish and bearing the original 1964 portrait design.

The product experienced opening day sales of 68,974 units, which has since risen to 134,631 units as of the latest weekly sales report. The set remains available for sale priced at $9.95 per set. An ordering limit of five sets per household remains in place.

There has also been a change to the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Proof Coin, which went on sale August 5, 2014. This coin is struck in 99.99% gold with a weight of three-quarters of an ounce, carries the original obverse portrait design, a dual date of “1964-2014”, and an inscription indicating the precious metal weight and purity on the reverse.

The product reached opening day sales of 56,694, but sales slowed considerably after the opening weekend. The most recent sales report shows cumulative sales of 64,303 for the product. Initially, there had been an ordering limit of five coins per household.

Effective October 14, 2014, the US Mint removed the household ordering limit. So far, this move seems to have had little effect on sales. The product does not carry a mintage limit.

Comments

1. RICH D says

Just spent over 4 grand on coins here’s my ship date.
    Mint tells me to call them when i receive my order and they will refund $4.95 shipping since it did not get shipped Expedited. Wonderful, coins get to bounce around on a UPS truck for a week !

Scheduled Delivery:
    Thursday, 10/30/2014, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Departed – Hodgkins, IL, United States, Saturday, 10/25/2014
    Special Instructions:
    Adult Signature Required

Shipment Progress

Next Scheduled Event: Wednesday,10/29/2014 by 5:00 P.M.

Location Date Local Time Activity
    Hodgkins, IL, United States 10/25/2014 3:48 A.M. Departure Scan
    10/25/2014 1:56 A.M. Arrival Scan
    Memphis, TN, United States 10/24/2014 4:49 P.M. Departure Scan
    Memphis, TN, United States 10/23/2014 7:12 P.M. Origin Scan
    United States 10/23/2014 4:00 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Additional Information
    Shipped/Billed On:10/23/2014Type:PackageWeight:4.20 lbs

2. GoldFishin says

@VA RICH- I would like to think the flipper’s have learned their lesson. I don’t think even MCM will be offering to buy folk’s sets this time around. But it seems lately the sick dog always returns to its…well its dinner time so I will leave that out. My prediction for a sellout will be into 2015 since I can’t predict Never. I am not excited about the set’s near term or long term prospects. IT IS a set I want to own personally, but I just don’t see this mintage limit as a huge game changer, quite the opposite.

If a sellout is not achieved within two weeks, it will not sell out. 2015 is my guess> if I have to be more specific “March 2015 or bust.” πŸ˜‰

Hawkster – I would agree 300K is more than enough for JFK half collectors. Problem is people that can’t even spell Kennedy or know what a half dollar is will be buying. Maybe not all tomorrow, but when they see on eBay how “rich” this coin will make them all bets are off.

4. VA Rich says

AkBob – thanks; the numbers above cag posted are for the silvers, get your guesstimate in!

Here’s one that’s far from speculation, unfortunately it’s gonna be a long night for the Skins here shortly!

5. cagcrisp says

Mark Rex – 10pm, Wednesday, 29-Oct
    cagcrisp – 10am, Friday, 31-Oct

VA Rich – 3pm, Monday, 3-Nov
    Pittsburgh P – 6pm, Tuesday, 4-Nov
    AkBob – 6pm, Thursday, 6-Nov

EagleOne – Wednesday, 31 Dec
    GoldFishin – March 2015 or Bust!
    bg35765 – Never
    Hawkster – it will be a struggle to reach 300,000

7. cagcrisp says

@VA Rich, Make sure you have an End Date on when your contest Closes. After Tomorrow’s sales of 212,125 I don’t want someone coming in and red boarding me…

My guess for a sellout is Tuesday, Nov. 11 5pm…..if that’s too late, that’s ok.

I’ve enjoyed all the comments for this set both pro & con…..as none of us really know.

I think (as Brad mentioned) that the reverse proof could do really well….and I’m starting to think the entire set will.

I went back and looked at silver spot when the 2006 Silver Eagle Annv. set was released….it had 3 oz’s of silver with a spot value in the $33-34 range and also sold for $100. It had a mintage limit of 250,000 and took a few months to sell out. That set does very well today. It had the first Silver Eagle reverse proof and also the first “W” burnished silver eagle (that product was sold separately later in the year).

Sooo…while in relation to spot this set may seem high, the uniqueness of this set is what will make it do well…I hope!!!!

9. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich we’ll probably just now be getting our orders in lol…

2cents yea You’d think dansco and the rest of em would invest some time into seeing what coin collectors would want/need… You misunderstood my statement about spot – yes it’s still silver therefore worth more than clad but I was only saying the price point they chose had nothing to do with the silver spot price so wouldn’t be changed if it goes up or down… I should’ve been clearer.

Bg thanks – interesting you can’t even see the prices unless you pay $275.

VaBob I try not to and usually don’t but it seems every other comment is about how these prices are outrageous and silver has dropped when will these?
    As far as people actually thinking these prices should and could be dropped, from the comments I’ve read it seems yes to me… If I want to throw in my opinion for every 20 that says it’s overpriced I will. Don’t buy it if you really think that it’s a rip off but most of you still will?

So Cag we won’t be able to track orders any longer… That takes some fun out of it! Oh well, at least we’ll be able to tell when(if) the sell out is.

10. Pittsburgh P says

Gf you’d think they’d have learned their lesson from the gold but I’ve already received 2 emails asking me to buy the max for them. One did say you were there had to be in by 2 p.m. and that they did not give a price per set lol! Only that it will be what the market commands when they receive them! No thanks…

Can they sell these into 2015? I know they can’t produce any more after December 31st but they can sell what they’ve already made it correct?

I thought I would share the following information to put things into perspective. Will the US Mint sell all 300,000 silver Kennedy half sets on the first day (or even the first week? I’m not so sure. Check out the historical data below (the final sales numbers are approximate).

* 2009 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Set (First day, 5 PM ET, 29,909 sold. Final sales: 50,000). Sold out in 2 days.

* 2011 25th Anniversary American Silver Eagle Set: (100,000 first day. Final sales: 100,000). Sold out in 1 day.

* 2012 San Francisco American Silver Eagle Set (First two days: 85,341. Final sales: 224,981). No sellout – minted to demand.

* 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set (180,000 opening weekend. Final sales: 235,689). No sellout – minted to demand.

* 2014 silver Kennedy Half Set ( ? opening day. Final sales: 300,000 ?)

I guess if you’re a flipper OR want a “First Strike” or “Early Releases” label, then it may be worth waiting in line to place an order on the first day and/or buy the maximum number of sets (5).

Decisions, decisions…. I will wait and avoid the madness. Maybe if I wait a few weeks, I might be able to buy a set at a lower price than on USMint.gov on eBay…. πŸ™‚

Pittsburg P,

Yes, these sets can be sold after the end of this year, just no more of them struck after 12/31.

The way this may play out could be interesting, if there is no quick sellout. We already know that there is an initial batch of 180,000 sets ready to go. That represents 60% of the maximum mintage. If initial sales are brisk, then the Mint may have enough confidence to go ahead and strike the remaining 40% fairly quickly. However, if sales are slower, then the second batch that is struck may be smaller, and could be slow in coming. The Mint may take orders until mid-December, then declare the set “sold out” at that time and only strike the amount needed to fulfill the demand. I don’t know if they would strike an earlier second batch for quicker fulfillment and then one final batch for the last section of orders, or just let a “backorder” status stand until the entire demand in excess of 180,000 sets is known. We’re no strangers to long waits for product fulfillment, so the latter scenario is not out of the question.

Personally, I don’t see the sets lasting very long. The price point is low enough that many will take a chance on it who did not do so with the gold coin, simply because the cash outlay required was so much larger. Four unique coins with different finishes and mint marks made of silver will be very appealing for many, and the generous household limit of five sets will allow the sets to move quickly.

13. GoldFishin says

Pitt P.- Yes, they can sell into the next year. I am not sure if they will however, the 180,000 will be gone in the first two weeks, after that I think the US Mint will assess further demand and will only produce what they think they will sell in a reasonable offering time. Fulfillment of orders could easily go into March 2015.

I really am unsure about this offering. Part of me thinks it could do quite well in sales and may sell out within two weeks, but the unemotional side of me is thinking the big boys will not want to play into the next 120,000 of production. The household limit of 5 is prohibitive of a really quick sellout and I think it could be the main reason the momentum and hype will fade over time causing the offering to fall short of a sellout. I do believe there will be a short window for the flipper’s to make some money with 70 graded coins, especially PCGS graded ones. But, the $35 fees for NGC and $41 for PCGS will make it imperative for a very high percentage of coins to grade 70 or it will be a money losing game very quickly. IF I were playing that game I would only get the RP graded by PCGS and leave the other 3 coins for others to lose money over. NGC coins will be plentiful quickly and I expect the regular NGC PF and Unc. coins to be sub $100 quickly. The RP and Enhanced will start out above $100, but over time I believe only the RP will have a chance to stay decently above that level. I don’t really need to go into any more detail, but I have done the research and believe that only the RP and Enhanced graded 70 PCGS FS will offer the ability for flippers to make some decent cash much beyond the first 6-8 weeks. I will look to buy my graded coins 3-4 months down the road, if not longer, depending on the final mintage.

I was really being sort of sarcastic with my sellout prediction. I am not sure there are enough real JFK collectors to support sufficient demand for 300,000 units and if the early ebay sales are disappointing, we may a see a repeat of the JFK gold offering with a lot of cancellations and/or returns. Some of you know I have been an active Ebayer for a long time and I will tell you that buyers are getting smarter about how much they will pay for a coin. There are so many moderns that are selling near or below the cost of purchase and grading that I can’t even tell you. In the past I have preferred to have my own coins graded, but lately it is a much better deal to just buy them on the Bay. I have also mentioned that I have seen big sellers on Ebay liquidating entire portfolio’s of inventory and leaving the game entirely. You can only lose money so long before it becomes an insane exercise in futility. Between ever increasing competition, Ebay/Paypal fees, and greedy TPG’s skyrocketing label and grading fees it is a game that I feel is really endangered or at the very least going through a hard reset. Sorry so long!

14. NC_Stacker says

My prediction for the Silver Kennedy’s tomorrow…….. it will not be a sell out.

Total sold 195,000

15. Pittsburgh P says

Thanks Brad and GF… that’s what I thought but wasn’t sure.

It will be interesting to see what plays out. You would hope they wouldn’t strike the remaining 120k without already or almost selling out the intitial batch but this is the US Mint…

I see this set doin well but 300k well in 2 months? Idk either a very quick sell out or none at all if that makes any sence…

16. cagcrisp says

@Pittsburgh P, “Idk either a very quick sell out or none at all if that makes any sense…” Agreed. For me…If the 1st Sales digit tomorrow is Not a “2” you will not see a “3”.

With 180k locked and loaded there will not be any delays.
    With household limit of 5, anyone that wants one should be able to get one on Day 1
    Flippers don’t stand a chance.
    If the Demand is not there Initially, It can’t be created on the secondary market.
    Tomorrow will either be Boom or Bust…

I haven’t even decided if I’ll buy the set tomorrow. I still think it’s only a collectors offering and sells probably won’t be a blow-out. I have given up on believing that these will garnish much appreciation over the long run long, but because they represent actual coinage, though out of circulation, they will be interesting coins for the Kennedy lovers.
    I’m betting on them being available all next year, just to make sure ALL the Kennedy lovers get theirs.

Just now on the CV, the Australian 1oz Wedge Tail in PCGS coffins, with Mercanti’s signature on the label: 50 bucks for the 69, and 100 bucks for the 70. I understand some folks here like these.

Dusty – I don’t know if they will garner much appreciation either over time, but the Mint will garnish their books by taking a little of ones potential profits right of the top. πŸ˜‰

VA Bob, No doubt about it.

Hey, I just got around to reading the Louis’ latest article and he has made some interesting comments. It’s hard for me to imagine these being quick sellers, but tomorrow will be insightful. I may have to play this for what it’s worth.

21. RSF says

That’s just where the majority of these sets will end up being sold, VA Bob, by TV hawkers to non-collectors who lived through the Kennedy years.
    Those of us with fond memories of Camelot. Those who have a couple 1964 halves in a dresser drawer that they got as keepsakes in ’64. They will see these on TV and hear the pitch and just like that, part of another child’s inheritance will become plastic coated shiny objects worth a fraction of their cost.

22. Rich The Elder says

I being an elder have been in the mix a long time.Kennedy was on my first ballot,the Kennedy image did shine and he did have courage and he as all men have weakness ,nearly all presidential men have weakness.Do we need to justify a coin series for this man,was he perfect is this a perfect series,do we want to see a continuation of this series.Are we bored With the American Eagle replays.I am totaled out with the Silver Eagle variables (enough)I as a collector will support this momerial set .

23. VA Rich says

JFK silver set sell out predictions –

Ibex – 6pm, Wednesday, Oct 29th
    Mark Rex – 10pm, Wednesday, 29-Oct
    cagcrisp – 10am, Friday, 31-Oct
    β€”
    VA Rich – 3pm, Monday, 3-Nov
    Pittsburgh P – 6pm, Tuesday, 4-Nov (week 1)
    AkBob – 6pm, Thursday, 6-Nov
    Steve – 5pm, Tuesday, 11 Nov (week 2)
    β€”
    EagleOne – Wednesday, 31 Dec
    GoldFishin – March 2015 or Bust! (about the time the ’14 LESPS will be available)
    bg35765 – Never (and can be said for a price reduction in the AtB puck)
    NC_Stacker – Never
    Hawkster – it will be a struggle to reach 300,000

So far looking like 42% of the predictions favor a 1 week sale out, 58% being available for some time.

24. cagcrisp says

The Mint’s excel numbers are OUT

Mint Kennedy excel spreadsheet update for 10/26/14 (change from 10/19/14 spreadsheet):

2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN (K15) 65,039 (up 736)
    2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET (K14) 136,614 (up 1983)

25. stephen m says

VA Bob, I too saw the silver Wedge Tail eagle coin on CV. $99 for a 70 grade and on TV. That may be a considerable drop from the introductory prices, eh? It might be a good idea to wait a while if one wants to purchase any of the Kennedy offerings graded.

26. cagcrisp says

If you Don’t think the announcement on Friday regarding Limits did Not have an effect….Think Again

The JFK clads had their Biggest week in 5 weeks
    The Gold Kennedy had it’s Biggest week in 8 weeks

Halo Effect

27. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF excel spreadsheet update for 10/26/14 (change from 10/19/14 spreadsheet):

Gold proof BHOF 32,495 (same)
    Gold unc. 17,694 (same)
    Silver proof 267,865 (down 8)
    Silver unc. 131,916 (down 2)
    Clad proof 222,269 (up 3,313)
    Clad unc. 134,198 (up 634)
    Young Collector 22,650 (up 494)

Gold BHOF 50,189 oversold 189
    Silver BHOF 399,781

28. cagcrisp says

Gold Kennedy Guesstimates (resorted from low to high)

β€’ GoldFishin 66,532 – 73,185 07/31
    β€’ Jeff 70k 07/10
    β€’ TimTom 70k 07/31
    β€’ Longarm 70k 08/01
    β€’ VA Rich 50k +/- 8k 07/10 ; 71,293 07/31
    β€’ Louis 50k 07/10; +/- 75k 08/01
    β€’ zeeman 75,000 08/03
    β€’ bg35765 75,920 08/01
    β€’ Dustyroads 86,500 07/31
    β€’ Pittsburg P between 88,000 and 110,000 07/31
    β€’ gary 92,586 07/31
    β€’ SilverFan over/under 100k 07/11
    β€’ VA Bob 100k +/- 5k 07/31
    β€’ A Bob 100,000 07/31
    β€’ VABEACHBUM 07/16 do not think it will either garner the interest or come anywhere close to 109k
    β€’ Sith 60k 07/11; 100k to 120k 07/31
    β€’ thePhelps between 75 and 100k the first week and a total of 125k 07/31
    β€’ Stephen m. 150k+ 07/11
    β€’ Clark exceed 200k 07/26

29. hw says

This may be a duplicate post.

The US Mint JFK product page shows a household limit of 5 for the 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection to be released today..

30. Pittsburgh P says

Stephen M that is the same as the introductory price for the 70 WTE… well 99.95$ other than on ebay it hasn’t moved since its release and is available on CV, Gov Mint, and MCM… The bullion version has the least potential of all the WTE, with a 50,000 mintage, as with most releases … The proof and HR versions are doing well. I wouldn’t compare this set with the JFK Silver set anyways.

Thanks for the numbers cag… can’t believe the gold sold over 700 & nothing changed with it!

Thanks hw but it’s always had a limit of 5, I thought maybe they would lower it when they capped the mintage at 300k, glad they didn’t…

2 hours til go time!

31. Dave SW FL says

Someone asked earlier if the sets would be offered for sale at the Mint retail stores. Jeremy at the Philly store confirmed the NO response. Thus, the gold Kennedy fiasco has played out fully and the flippers wet dream has become a nightmare! They finally learned SOMETHING and made a change of policy. It will be interesting if there is no rapid sellout if they will reverse the policy and offer them in the stores to try to eliminate inventory.

Someone has started torun the mint as a business (no, I did not say a well run business – it IS government, after all!). They are maximizing profit with the pricing model and return/ exchange policy. They will need the money if the new site is an indication of competency!

Going to be an interesting event today. I expect this to sellout – similar to the BHoF silver offering…probably around November 13th or so.

33. Mike says

Talked to us mint rep on phones and he said phones have been busy and doing extremely well for set.

11:30 a.m. Oct 28

34. Dave SW FL says

Although I do not like navigating the new mint website and losing my order history, I will have to give them credit for being able to handle volume without crashing and for rapid shipment of product.

Thanks to all for the detailed ordering/ shipment reports. Hope they are reading MNB. It will help them tweak the site.

Maybe these guys should have gotten the ACA website contract!

35. foxman69 says

am thinking initial batch of 180K sets might end op being the total; think about it…. why would the Mint halt production in all 4 Mints on an issue and leaving these lines not producing product? If they can resume production it involves workers to assemble and prepare all the dies and a host of other procedures to start back up…. with all the issues that remain and the calendar year running out, I think they might decide to end production…