April 2015 US Mint Circulating Coin Production

kennedyThe United States Mint has provided updated circulating coin production figures through the month of April 2015. The preliminary mintage level has also been provided for the John F. Kennedy Presidential Dollar.

For the month of April 2015, the US Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver struck nearly 1.7 billion circulating quality coins. This amount was up from the prior month when production reached just over 1.4 billion pieces, and also up from the year ago period when production was about 1 billion pieces.

Significantly, the latest monthly total represents the highest figure in at least the last five years. The previous high during the time Mint News Blog has been tracking production was 1.5 billion pieces this January.

The table below shows the break down of circulating coin production for each denomination at each mint facility for April 2015.

2015 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 2.30 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 2.24 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 2.80 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 1.68 M 12.60 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 20.86 M
Total 1,696.56 M 5,917.14 M

During the month more than 1 billion cents were struck across the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. This is the first time I can recall seeing the monthly production for the lowest denomination above the 1 billion mark. The jump in cent production is what drove the higher overall monthly total.

The next most produced denomination was the dime at 290 million pieces, followed by the quarter at 268.4 million pieces, and the nickel at 128.88 million pieces.

A minor amount of 1.68 million Presidential Dollars were struck during the month at the Denver facility.

2015 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Homestead 248.60 M 214.40 M 463.00 M
Harry S. Truman 3.36 M 4.90 M 8.26 M
Dwight D. Eisenhower 3.64 M 4.90 M 8.54 M
John F. Kennedy 4.20 M 6.16 M 10.36 M

The United States Mint has provided the preliminary production total for the John F. Kennedy Presidential Dollar. As in the past, this figure should be considered preliminary until the end of the year, as the US Mint has reserved the right to restart production within the year of issue based on demand.

Production for the Kennedy Dollar reached 6.16 million pieces at Philadelphia and 4.20 million pieces at Denver. This makes for a combined total of 10.36 million pieces, exceeding the production amounts for this year’s other Presidential Dollars.

There were no updated preliminary production totals provided for the America the Beautiful Quarters Program. The figures for the Homestead National Monument Quarter had been provided previously.

Comments

As for the higher number of pennies, it’s my guess that people just aren’t spending them, but they are saving them. It may be a testament to more public spending overall. Is it the real deal, or is it a case of moar credit.

2. cagcrisp says

Excel spreadsheet is Out….

Total sales of the MOD Special Set 69,050. IF these numbers are Correct there are 5,950 remaining sets…

05/05….52,540 +52,540
    05/06….58,129 + 5,589
    05/07….63,882 + 5,753
    05/08….66,109 + 2,227
    05/09 no numbers given
    05/10….69,050 +2,941

3. cagcrisp says

New excel spreadsheet number for the “P” Turkey puck – 16,351

16,351 +42,000 = 58,351; Leaving 6,649 for a SO of both the bullion and the “P” puck…

4. Sith says

I have found 2 Homestead, and believe it or not 2 Turkey quarters in circulation

cagcrisp~ The bullion’s are gone, so it now comes down to the remaining numismatic pucks. If you were to ask me, it appears the Mint directors want as much diversification and products available on the site as possible.

6. Dave SW FL says

Please read post 198 in last thread ( currently the last one) and respond if your MOD dollars had the “purple chicken pox”.

Addendum to that post – the 2015 mint set Philly set looks proof like to me. Nicest looking Unc sets I have seen!

7. gary says

With so many left to sell of the Kisatchie P Mint ATB it will be available from the Mint til Christmas at the least. It will have a usual “high” mintage of over 22K.

8. Ends in Error says

I’m gonna get me a $250 box of D-mint Kennedy $1’s for spending purposes. I just love the way cashiers look at them – all shiney and new fresh out of a roll.

Who knows I might be encouraging a new collector to begin a new interest in Coins. Once in a while you just gotta promote the hobby.

9. RSF says

I can’t believe that with the combined intellect and connections of the people involved with this blog, that no one can explain where these billions of cents are going. A small fraction of this production would certainly satisfy US needs. Are the majority going to and being used in other countries? Anyone seen them while traveling?
    MNB – Have you been sworn to secrecy on this (and other things)? Why does this have to remain a mystery?

10. JBK says

Where are billions of cents going? That’s easy – from the cash register into peoples’ hands, and then into the trash, on the ground, or in a container of some kind. Most cents do not re-renter commerce for years, if ever.

Are there enough out there to satisfy demand? Of course – but getting them back to the banks so they can be delivered back out to stores is the trick.

I for one will still bend over too pick up a penny (as long as no one is looking) – I hate to see any money go to waste. But the reality is that most people will not.

11. Sith says

@RSF – Old discussion….

My 2 cents is “Penny Hoarders.” You know at one point everyone was stealing cooper wire, well Penny Hoarders are hoping to cash in once the penny is demonetized and they are legal to melt down.

Other say as they are worthless so people just throw them away

Last but not least I heard Penney Loafers are making a comeback 🙂

PS they are not legal tender in other countries, and it illegal to transport more than $5 in pennies out of the country, so you can’t take them out of the country to melt them. If that is being done illegally is another matter, but nobody should find them in circulation in another country.

@cagcrisp — Re: 2015-P Kisatchie Silver Coins. Last week’s US Mint Sales report shows 15,622 sold. Based on your post, the latest excel spreadsheet shows 16,351 of the P version sold. So about 729 units sold last week.

At the same rate of sales (729 units per week), the US Mint will sell out of the P version in 9.1 weeks (a bit more than 2 months). So folks have time to decide whether or not to buy the US Mint’s version of this coin.

13. MikeinPa says

Sith-the copper in a penny to be worth anything was last produced in 82 with about half of that years production being zinc, i have five gallon pails of copper pennies waiting for thhe scrapper, i’m sure others do too

14. Mark says

They are cents not pennies ..unless your from England. And your right, not worth melting cents after 1982. The propane or natural gas to melt them would cost more than your metal.

15. Mark says

The mint does not even melt nickels…they waffle them, then sell to scrap dealers.

16. SilverFan says

For Hisatchie P puck to be a winner, the Mint would have to halt sales right now. Otherwise, they will sell over well 20K and not be one of the keys.

17. KEITHSTER says

Find a penny pick it up and all the day you’ll have good luck! Which most here should know by now? The trouble with them dang things is most land face down which is supposed to be bad luck to pickup? So the little trick I use is to just give it a little kick till it goes face up and then it’s ready to go. Then just pick up the lucky penny and be on your way but if you don’t really want it just leave it in the penny dish at the counter and let it work it’s stuff for the next one:>:>:> So Turn Them Around And Good Luck All :>:>:>:>:>:>:>

18. MikeinPa says

Silverfan, think Kisatchie will be a winner either way, lot of people including myself like the flying turkey design

19. Dave SW FL says

The cent and five cent coins are SO 20th century. How can the Canadians be so smart and we Americans be so dumb? And gasoline…….$2.68 9/10. Tenths of a cent…….REALLY.? REALLY???
    Does ANY other county spend more money to mint a denomination than the face value of the coin? As they say “only in America.”
    These coins are worthless because they are worth less! In 1900, they would buy something. Not true any longer. Thank you, Federal Reserve, for devaluing our money so dramatically. Just wait for cashless…..it is coming!
    Consolation….you will get your dead President and First Spouse sets complete before it happens (I think.)

20. Sith says

Mount Rushmore has high mintages in both version and it is very popular, and a winner.

A quarter today has less purchasing power than a 1940 cent.

IMHO Cent Loafers, “Cent-wise and pound-foolish,”‘ “A cent for your thoughts,” does not sound the same…as such I prefer the colloquial name for the American one cent piece.

21. Boz says

Got a Marianas and puertoRico quarter in change on the same day. Are the 09 hoards finally entering circulation?

At this rate I am not going to be shocked to find on 03 New Orleans Morgan at the CVS checkout register.

A few years ago I personally, and by hand sorted out 336 Lbs of copper cents. I only stopped doing it because I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was wasting my time. When I started doing it, the price of copper was in the $3.80 range, but that’s long gone. Ten years ago copper was in the $5.00 range which was during a time when China was doing a lot of construction and securing copper. Lately the metal has become less advantages I believe for China to maintain holdings in. I don’t see any positive change in the price until the day comes when a lot of building begins happening again, but it won’t be anything like it was in 2005. Am I tempted to do it again, you bet, but that feeling will still be there as long as copper is at its present price. One thing I can say positive about penny sorting, you never know what you will find, it’s always fun finding bright shinny red wheat pennies.

Dave SW FL~ I’m not able to see how many comments are listed anywhere, but I do know the post you’re talking about. Mine are still out bouncing around in a truck somewhere, but they are supposed to be here tomorrow. It doesn’t appear to be a widespread problem since no one else has mentioned it, I’ll be looking for it though. Good evening to you.

24. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@RSF says , May 11, 2015 at 4:57 pm
    “I can’t believe that with the combined intellect . . . ”

Okay, I will tell you; however, lets keep this between us on MNB. Well — you know how some might think aliens have been visiting our world, harvesting resources? It is my understanding that the government does this to allow aliens to have easy access to this metal in exchange for technology. I also have heard they have a method to use/channel this money into black budget projects and this way, no one is the wiser.

Got to run — I think that I see a black helo overhead now. Hope this helps.

; – )

25. john says

Got my five sets of march of dimes,all are missing the c.o.a. any one else have this prombles.

The Real “Cool” Dave~ You’ve said too much. Take evasive action now before it’s too late. Look for tales. You’re going to have to be extra careful from now on…good luck.

27. Barry says

Correct me if I’m wrong but, it seems to me the mint hasn’t gone to steel coins mainly due to the vending machine businesses. They would have to spend a lot of money to convert or replace their machines.

28. The Real "Cool" Dave says

@Dustyroads says onMay 11, 2015 at 11:53 pm
    “The Real “Cool” Dave~ You’ve said too much . . . ”

Uh — okay, talked to the “men in black,” actually it is a very dark blue. Anyway, I have now been sworn to secrecy and cannot discuss it anymore, only to say that truth is out there . . . somewhere and yet no where.

If something should happen to me, my posts on this blog under this topic, should prove/point to any nefarious doers. However, by going public, I should now be protected, or at least that is what Rob Bizzare told me anyway.

Sleep with one eye open — Good Night!

@John w missing coa. Ouch and that is truly the slap in the face from the Mint of packaging company I was waiting for. Very sorry and even sportier that you must re order now instead of receive replacemen. Hurry and re order bud.

It appears the Mint has removed the household ordering limit on the March of Dimes special set. I guess they want to finish moving them out!

31. Sith says

@Barry – That is true except for the penny, no machine accepts the penny anymore. The crazy thing I have seen more vending machines that accept credit cards than coin dollars. Even the parking meters have an app for that, but I still like to pay for my parking with nickels and dimes.

32. Blair J. Tobler says

Our local bus fare boxes take pennies (and people do use them), but I don’t know of any other machines that do.

33. Steve G says

If you include the dollar coins in this report (which are no longer circulating coinage) why not include the San Francisco quarters in “circulating quality”?

34. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Well — I bought some labels/slabs today; they also came with some cool coins.

Sleep well . . .

35. merryxmasmrscrooge says

For the pennies, where in the blazes are they getting all this Aluminum??
    Aren’t there better uses for it??
    All our resources are being depleted foolishly.
    Shouldn’t we be more concerned about our environment and not waste so much.