Benjamin Harrison Presidential $1 Coin Cover

The United States Mint will begin sales of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Dollar Coin Cover tomorrow September 18, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. This will be the 23rd release within the ongoing American Presidency $1 Coin Cover series.

The cover includes Benjamin Harrison Presidential Dollars sourced from the first day of production at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. The dates for the first day of production are April 26, 2012 for Philadelphia and April 20, 2012 for Denver. The coins are mounted on a display card placed within an illustrated envelope with a postage stamp marked “September 18, 2012, Indianapolis, IN”.

In the past, the post marks for this product had coordinated with the circulation release date for the coins. This year, the format had to be changed since the Presidential Dollars are no longer issued for circulation. Now, the post mark simply represents the date that product sales begin, which does not seem to bear any other particular significance. The post mark location of Indianapolis, IN is where the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is located.

The covers are priced at $19.95 each.

The production limit is established at 22,000 units, which is the same level established for this year’s other releases. Sales for the Chester Arthur Cover have reached 15,215, while the Grover Cleveland First Term Covers have reached 13,220 as of the most recent report.

Other prior year Presidential $1 Coin Covers going back to William Henry Harrison also remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website.

Comments

1. vaughnster says

This has to be one of the worst years in recent memory for the Mint’s very lame product release. Nothing on the horizon and the 2012 SF 2 coin set was stained by the Coin & Currency Set release. I hope they’re working on that Mercury Palladium coin or something similar. We were all complaining about former Mint Director Ed Moy but in some ways I wouldn’t mind if he came back 🙂

Vaughnster,

I’m not sure the problem is the lack of a director (at least not solely). The Mint had a lot of great products last year so that wouldn’t seem to be the only problem.

I do agree, though, that the product line this year, excepting the SF two-coin set, has been exceptionally anemic. I liked the Star Spangled Banner silver coins and the 2012 AtBs (El Yunque, Acadia, and Hawaii are looking great in terms of designs). However, nothing seems to be a “red-hot,” high-excitement item like we’ve had in prior years.

If anything, the biggest success this year has been the unexpected revitalization of the numismatic portion of the Mint’s $1 coin program.

3. j says

would be nice if they had a % discount for subscriptions that so many keep each year like 5% discount for that would be a way of thanks to yearly customers what you guys think?

4. ClevelandRocks says

Last time I had a subscription, they lowered the price of the ASE and would not credit me a dime!

Why are PMs tanking? QE3 is happening…

5. Shutter says

Subscriptions are for suckers, unless you getting something extra.

Why are PMs tanking? QE3 is happening…
    They are still higher than a week ago. That’s not tanking that’s consolidating and profit taking. Platinum and Palladium are probably more than correcting. It may be dawning on traders that the economy isn’t getting any better anytime soon.

Cleveland,

We had quite a long period of surging prices which is why we’ve had some problems in the last couple of days. I think there are going to be dips on the way up due to profit taking as Shutter mentioned, and short selling by the banks; but I don’t expect we will end up on another downward trajectory like after last year.

I’ve flipped from bearish to very bullish; this is why I caved and picked up the 2012 AtBs finally. I’d been waiting in hopes of a price drop but I’m now fairly certain that $204.95 will be the lowest they ever go.

7. Sam says

Last year I attended the Garfield dollar coin release program (Mentor Ohio) and the year before made it to the ATB Gettysburg release. But there were no dollar coin programs this year, and the ATB’s have been way to far to travel. Perhaps next year — the ATB programs do have a coin forum with a Mint representative. Which is something I will make a point to attend if given the chance.

Sam,

It could help prices rise, but the threat of major supply disruption has passed. Any increase in price probably pales in comparison to what a total shutdown of the SA platinum mining industry would have caused.

If you look at how much dealers are paying over spot for platinum eagles (APMEX was paying $1800 over the weeknd when spot was $1700), it makes me think there must be tighness of supply, though that may ease up a little now. I am talking bullion, not proof plat. eagles.

10. DCDave says

QE3 will go on for a long time, so gold will be seen as a “safe haven” and climb much higher than it is now. Silver may also rise a lot since current silver:gold ratio favors a silver advance (typical 27:1 ratio is now over 50:1) and silver is “consumed” much more than gold in industry. Looks like price increases may happen again for gold products.