Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

Today, April 10, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint opened sales for circulating quality 2014 Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollars in rolls, bags, and boxes. This represents the second release of the year and the 30th release overall within the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollar

The obverse design of the coin features a portrait of Calvin Coolidge designed and engraved by Phebe Hemphill. This design was recommended by both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee with the groups calling it the best likeness, which captured the character of the former President. The portrait is surrounded by the required inscriptions “Calvin Coolidge”, “In God We Trust”, “30th President”, and the period of service “1923-1929”.

The reverse features an image of the Statue of Liberty intended to symbolize the concept of Liberty. Inscriptions include “United States of America” and the denomination expressed as “$1”. This design by Don Everhart has been used for the reverse design across all issues of the series.

Incused edge inscriptions contain the “2014” date of issue, the mint mark, and the motto “E Pluribus Unum”.

The United States Mint is offered circulating quality Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollars struck at either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint. Product options from each mint include 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, and 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95 each. All products feature packaging which contains the President’s name, the face value of the contents, and the mint mark.

There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits imposed. Recent circulating coin production figures for the Calvin Coolidge Dollar indicate production of 4.48 million pieces at the Philadelphia Mint and 3.78 million pieces at the Denver Mint, for a total of 8.26 million coins. Starting with the 2012-dated issues, Presidential Dollars have not been released to the channels of circulation, but only distributed in numismatic products.

The US Mint indicates that the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollar products will remain available for one year from the initial on sale date or until inventory is depleted prior to the one-year period. This availability information has been provided for Presidential Dollars bags, rolls, and boxes issued from 2013 onwards, however the US Mint has not adhered to sales cut off date. Most of the William McKinley products, which went on sale February 19, 2013, still remain available for sale.

Today, the US Mint also began sales for the 2014-W Uncirculated Silver Eagles. Coverage of this product will be provided in a separate post.

Comments

I wish the Mint could give a satisfactory answer as to why they violate their own stated policy on most of those products. Anyone who bought them thinking that they might end up with a somewhat low mintage locked in due to the one-year sales cap was duped! I’m thankful I wasn’t one of those people, but it’s still aggravating.

2. Jon in CT says

A silver proof presidential dollar should be worth MUCH more than $110. You were suckered.

3. Sith says

BHOF, what are you upset about this time that its off topic, or has this gotten personal?

4. Pittsburgh P says

don’t think that was the coin he was talking about buddy. Imo it was a BHoF silver proof. Am i correct Sith? Congrats either way

5. Sith says

You are correct…FYI Jon has named himself the blog topic enforcer, and at least when it comes to my posts and has apparently he has also made it his duty to get back at me after I B$%ch lapped him earlier this week.

Jon also hates the new format but as I tried to explain to him, IMHO if people would not have been so hostile (like himself) mabe they old format would have remained viable…

6. Sith says

Boy I need to proof read…

Jon has named himself the blog topic enforcer, and at least when it comes to my posts, and he also has apparently made it his duty to get back at me after I B$%ch lapped him earlier this week.

Jon also hates the new format but as I tried to explain to him, IMHO if people would not have been so hostile (like himself) maybe the old format would have remained viable…and I will add IMHO maybe Michael would go back to it if people were more civil.

7. AkBob says

Yahoo!!! Way to go. I’d like to sell about 200 of them for that Sith, LOL!!! Hey, if you don’t try, you’ll never know and if it’s worth that much to them then so be it. Supply and Demand!!! Capitalism at it’s finest!!!

8. HIdalgo says

If you’re going to sell for profits, then now would be a good time to sell on the secondary market. As more buyers receive their in -hand gold and silver BHOF coins, purchased at retail prices, demand will fall.. And when demand falls, prices will also begin to fall.

However, if demand continues to remain strong (and demand often decreases with time), then values will remain relatively high.

To sell or not to sell? That is the question. 🙂

9. AkBob says

This release is in many ways different from other releases. It is going to be difficult to do much forecasting as I think this series is going to make it’s own rules, LOL. , I could be wrong but at this point I think this is going to remain very popular. Baseball season is a long season . Just think how many of these you could sell at the World Series! I think we are going to see things differently with these coins mainly due to the subject matter and popularity with both collector’s and baseball fans. We are all in for a ride, not that we haven’t been already, lol. Enjoy! As always, Happy collecting to ALL!

10. HIdalgo says

Off topic – does anyone know how many of the 5 ounce P America the Beautiful Great SMoky Mountain silver coins have been sold?

11. Ray says

I have the same question as Hidalgo. I am pretty sure subscriptions will increase the initial sales of the 5oz atb’s. Although, I was surprised to see the ASE proof start out slower than ever, even with the subscription discounts. i’ll take a guess, 15k.

12. VA Rich says

Yes, the entire first batch is Sold Out, as it’s in a day-for-day slip…, when the second batch arrives later this month, it to will be Sold Out. I’m still sticking to my prediction that it will be sold out in a week (a total week of actually being available for shipping.., so we’re down one day thus far 😉

13. VA Rich says

Oh Sith.., be gentle.., I’ve been called an idiot and racist in the past week over circus coinage and a bad football team.., ya just gotta love the cast of characters out here that make up our MNB family! 🙂

Congrats on the sale though, bottle and sale some of that mojo!

14. Sith says

I know I know…I’m not being nice, and I will try to be better. Anyway Jon aside I just thought I would tell my story as their are a lot of flippers on the blog who are wondering if they should sell or not.

15. HIdalgo says

@VA Rich – how do you know that the first batch is sold out? Do you know the numbers sold?

16. HIdalgo says

Off topic – I’m a bit surprised that news of the 2014 Uncirculated American Silver Eagle, which can now be purchased, has not been posted on this blog. Anyway, you can now purchase it now on USMint.gov.

17. Sith says

I’m going to pull a “do as I say not as I do”…I think these are winners and if you can hold on to them until after the market gets flooded $110 will probably look cheap. Then again it might even look cheap next week as I just don’t see demand dissipating for the coins, the price will fluctuate, but not demand.

IMHO the coins are going to be sold to Joe public and these coins like the other sellouts will have sentimental value, IE once they are sold they will not reappear on the market. The difference in this coin is that the collector base is significantly larger. Then again this is all speculation and $110 is nothing to sneeze at so take your poison.

18. ClevelandRocks says

this format SUCKS!
    no “reply” button to VA Rich since too many responses already and everthing way to verticle and squished to the right

PLEASE bring back old format!
    @VA Rich: I called you an idiot since you have been duped by the media about your home-team Redskins. I never called you a racist. I did say some anti-Redskins stuff is really anti-Snider anti-semitism since other very disrespectul stuff seems to slide by.

19. Sith says

Some subscriptions mine included came out back ordered, but some subscriptions have shipped…logically they ran out of coins, but that seems funny as you would think they would have enough coins to cover the subscriptions. Then again as I have been saying for weeks I don’t think the mint is getting enough silver to meet demand.

20. Jon in CT says

Re-read the original blog entry above. At the end of it, there is this:

Actually it was included as a note in this article. Michael indicated he would be putting a separate post up for it later.

22. HIdalgo says

@Jon and thePhelps – I see it now. It’s at the very end of the Coolidge dollar article. Thanks.

23. high low silver says

Indians, Redskins…..can’t we just get along ??? Like I said …FLEA MARKET JUNK.

24. HIdalgo says

@Larry – personally, I like the design. Minor modifications to the design can be made to the basic design. I like the idea of having the sun on the bottom with rays extending upward to the outer rim of the coin. Then it would resemble the beautiful reverse of the $20 gold St. Gaudens gold coin.

Will that happen? Probably not. But it’s great to dream! 🙂

25. Gary says

I come here for the articles Michael puts up! And for the most part just read the replies of Louis and Michael…Coins are my hobby and strictly for my enjoyment and relaxation! I hear enough bitching and moaning in the real world, so I definitely WONT pay any attention to it here. I know there are some coin collectors sites that allow this stuff to go on. It costs them some good decent quality members, but the moderators there allow it. So, I hope Michael wont let it get too far here.
    How about just have articles with no comment section? Now that would be awesome! Michael?

26. Pittsburgh P says

Apparently you do… Don’t read the comments and just read the articles. Why did you take the time to post that if you are not paying any attention to it. Just wondering.

27. high low silver says

I only colledt too, but I’m a smart ass ! I like to hear about hype……..The BB silver proof should go for at least $110 on ebay……

28. Pittsburgh P says

Wow, you make fun of a kid that stabs 20+ people…Say he was mine and after Ive never commented on anything you’ve said. Your right enough said

29. HIdalgo says

@Gary- just ignore some of the posts that are off-base, rude, critical, etc.

I like reading most of the comments on this blog, as it gives me different perspectives on the minds of coin collectors. If this blog were to consist only of articles, then it would be similar to other numismatics columns that you can find on the internet.

30. Sith says

Their is another auction that is already at $104 with two hours left, it is in hand. The pre-sales are still in the $80 range…I may have to back track on my predicted flood on the market tons of the coins are already accounted for via pre-sales.

31. VA Rich says

Has anyone else noticed that when you put up one of these old stogie dead presidents coins…, the blog goes south.., and goes south real quick? Seriously, I’m not making this up, it always happens!

Where’s Jerry Diekmann? Jerry – chime on in here with one of your interesting historical posts about this guy.., anything to make the coin remotely interesting.

32. Sith says

I agree, I personally have learned a lot by reading the comments on this blog. It would be a shame to turn then off. When you have a bunch of people passionate about something sometimes they clash, but it beats the alternative. Imagine a blog were everyone is a flipper, or a collector, or hates “circus coins,” and everyone agreed that the Boy Scout coin was the greatest…and they all passed the Grey Poupon. You would never get a prospective on anything, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

For the record Micheal does moderate the blog. Posts with foul language are erased, and if things spiral out of control Micheal will disable comments until everyone cools down, but for the most part he just let’s his reader have at it. I don’t know if he has banned anyone from the blog but I do know some posters have disappeared…like the widow who was trying to figure out the cost of her husband’s Morgan collection, because she needed the money…

Mine shipped Wednesday but I’d heard about some subscribers having ship dates further back. I am very interested in the sales figures for this piece. I wonder what determined the order this was shipped to people – perhaps subscription date?

Regardless I am extremely excited for this piece.

34. Sith says

Coolidge was known as a man of few words. He typically didn’t have much to say in public, so the press dubbed him “Silent Cal”. Someone once said he could be silent in five languages. Talking to strangers was always difficult for Coolidge. Consequently he wasn’t thought to be much of a dinner guest, despite the efforts of hostesses and guests to get him to talk. One hostess said he spoke so infrequently that every time he opened his mouth a moth flew out. Probably the most frequently told story about Coolidge is the one where an important hostess told him why he had to talk to her: “You must talk to me Mr. Coolidge. I made a bet today that I could get more than two words out of you.” Coolidge told her: “You lose.”

I feel the same way. This site is a good news site but the community is also a major reason I come here. There is a reason this website got flooded with traffic on BHoF release day to the point of several brief crashes, and others did not.

36. Sith says

At the last minute I cancelled my original subscription so I could re-subscribe with an additional coin. I must have been placed last in the queue, and my coins back ordered.

37. VA Rich says

No, I really have no clue what’s been sold.., but the lil grey matter I have left between my ears having spent the last year watching these trends.., and yeah, this stuff that’s posted on this site just sticks for some reason – scary isn’t? (I really wish it was the futures/Options market stuff instead), but here’s the rationale –

1) the mint is in it minimize cost and turn a profit, 12-15 coins probably isn’t that much effort for P and there’s ONLY a total mintage of 25k

2) the mint knew starting in late-December what subscriber demand would be and tracked it since

3) $139.45 is a freak’n steal for a 5 oz P pucker – with an awesome design

4) Within an hour and 50 minutes of release, GSM was in a back-order status – THIS IS KEY

5) If I have multiple subscriptions of pucks along with others I know who haven’t bought a P puck in sometime, then trust me, everyone else.. – Another Key

..so that’s why I am of the unequivocal opinion that these suckers are sayonara.., though time will tell – hope this helps!

38. Ikaika says

Another day, another BAG. I have yet to see a coin this month. Hopefully the 5 oz ATB will arrive by next week.

39. Samuel says

same bag different treatment. what a world!
    if the bag is with the gold coins, it will be UPS NEXT DAY AIR signature required.
    if it is with the silver coins, it will be USPS.

Speaking of US Mint bags, The Mint didn’t give me a chance to cancel the bag, then they charged me $4.95!!

41. VA Rich says

It really has Steve.., along with the 13 AUDCS.., and JFK has/is distracting from the AGE/Buffs…, for those chasing lows…

42. Jim says

I had to return all 5 of my 2013 LESPS due to numerous scrapes on the inside of each case. After 9 days I still had not received my credit, so yesterday they escalated my credit to Washington and I received an email today saying it was finally being processed.

The CS rep with the Mint said that my credit was delayed because of a backlog caused by the baseball coins. They must do a lot of manual credit card processing and that probably explains a lot in terms of shipping delays.

43. VaBeachSteve says

There are now 4 listings on the Bay for US Mint reusable bags. You can secure one from $4.95 to $18.95

44. VaBeachSteve says

And in case your wondering …… Yes, there has been one sold …. $9 sale price …. $2.42 shipping

45. VABEACHBUM says

Rich – you say “Goes South;” I say the “Water Starts to Swirl.” Either way, you and I are seeing the same thing. Can’t wait for the UNC ASE Thread to start, so we can put this one behind us.

Meanwhile, took delivery of my UNC ATB on Monday – gorgeous. The strike quality of the bullion coins is improving with each new release. Should take delivery of my ATB-P tomorrow. Definitely going to enjoy these 2014 releases.

46. VABEACHBUM says

There were some brief discussions in other threads as the deliveries started. But, you’re right Ikaika. They did fall off VERY quickly. I took delivery of two, and thought the set ended up being a very well done, quality set for the Mint’s issue price. I’m glad I made the purchase.

47. DCDave says

$1000? Seriously? I offered him just $500, we will see if he takes it!
    There are actually 2 offers…

This is in regards to the Dave Harper article. There can only be 18k complete sets of the HOF coins. At $983.30 a set that is $17.7 million. In CY2013 there was over $112.0 million of Gold proof Buffalo’s sold. Just the 4 coin gold 2013 American Eagle set sold over $23.0 million. That total does not include the one ounce, the fractional proof American Eagle, the uncirculated American Eagle or the bullion of either the Buffalo or the American Eagle. And that is just for 2013. Each and every year you have gold bullion and gold proofs of the American Eagle and Buffalo. The HOF coins are unique and one of a kind. They will not be duplicated year after year.
    This is the same Dave Harper that wrote the following concerning the possibility of the Gold Kennedy “At $1,300, this becomes a very high end collectible that we would all be better off without. The suggested mintage of 50,000 might at first blush look low, but it really is not. At the $1,300 price, the Mint would ask the collector community to come up with $65 million. That’s huge. That’s more than collectors paid for the enormously popular individual 2013 proof and uncirculated silver American Eagle collector coins combined. It would be better for the long-term health of the hobby if collectors could be allowed to keep their money to use for other products.”

49. ClevelandRocks says

problem in general is that Mint makes too much “stuff” so it is becoming a “rich man’s” hobby. That’s why sales are low.

50. Sith says

If you don’t like the coin, or it’s too expensive, don’t buy it. I hate it when experts or anyone (including people on this blog) tries to tell another person what to do with their money. We have people on this blog that are collecting multiple FS sets.

51. Sith says

Maybe but in the example of the HOF coins which version sold out first, and what version is still available?

52. ClevelandRocks says

Flip while you can. “Collectors” have hoarded them. Public just is not that interested and certainly not interested in paying big premium.
    Great article.

Rich – we don’t know if they sold out – or if the logistics of shipping these as well as thousands of other coins is causing the back log. I had the initial back order on mine – but it has always shown as in stock and reserved on the history page. I believe the mint had a good idea of how many to make when these went on sale Monday – and doubt they ran out before filling subscriptions that existed for months. Shipping is causing the back log – IMO…

54. Pittsburgh P says

Also imo there will be no where close to that amount of complete sets out there… Not even half that amount.

55. ClevelandRocks says

Dave Harper’s point is offering too much expensive “stuff” makes coin collecting painful for the average collector that would like to buy say a gold kennedy, but other “stuff” has already put a hole in your wallet. The ASE varieties became out of control. I miss 20th century coin collecting. Took me decades to afford a Hawaain commem, but these days folks will spend thousands on spec coins. I was shocked how many folks on this blog were buying mutiples of the gold BHOF circus coin. I guess you guys are mainy flippers.

56. McLovin says

If Dave knew how to get rich selling coins he wouldn’t waste his time writing blog articles. Lots of experts out there, but few achievers.

57. Pittsburgh P says

Nope, I actually only begun collecting a year or so ago… my father was the big collector. This “circus coin” actually got me really excited & has rejuvenate my interest in collecting and I will try to get my young son involved also… I’m not a flipper but did purchase multiples so I could have two complete sets and a few extras… I do agree collecting is getting expensive and isn’t for everyone. Yeah there are some beautiful and fairly inexpensive options for people.

58. Blair J Tobler says

I also got one – I think it’s very well done. I also think they did a good job on the 5-Star Generals Profiles Collection. The Mint has been doing a better job on their special sets, IMHO

59. JagFan says

Good thing Dave Harper doesn’t collect sport cards… Back in my day you could pick up a pack of cards for $0.25 or so…

Check this out:

That’s right, one pack, 5 cards, $400 buckoroos!

Coin Collecting is just like every other hobby, if you want the high end products, they are available, if you want the Free Coin Collector Bag that cost you $4.95 in shipping, contact the U.S. Mint!

Thank goodness these days that we do have options including other world countries coins – in years past, all we had to get excited about was the annual proof set!

Having all of these options and being able to acquire some of them is what keeps the hobyy exciting!

The ASE proof’s discount was, in my opinion, less substantial than the discount for the AtB. When my group ordered the piece, we used the subscription, but the savings are not that much for the lone buyer who then has to pay shipping costs.

The TR set was a victim of being shipped out at the wrong time. I did get my set and I thought the pieces, packaging, and presentation were outstanding. The TR set would have been much less nice without the quality presentation. Hopefully the low key response doesn’t deter the Mint from doing more sets like that in the future (perhaps a JFK Coin and Chronicles when his presidential dollar is released?)

62. Sith says

I do not consider myself a flipper but it by flipping one of the golds I differed the cost of my coin. I’m still going be hard pressed to get a Kennedy, but if it was not for the flip I would have just gotten the HOF, and forgotten about the Kennedy. I guess I could be the poster boy for his article, but unlike Dave I don’t expect to collect it all, and I don’t expect my monetary limitations to affect other collectors. You yourself hated the HOF coin, and did not buy it, so imagine based on the HOF coin the mint announced, no Kennedy this year folks we made too many gold coins as it is, or we are just going to make a clad dual date Kennedy and sell it for $20.

Anyway their is nothing to stop you from going through you spare change to get coins. The hobby is only expensive to those of us who want PM in a quality coin. You want cheap ASE coins then buy then in bullion, who says you have to have the proof. Let me get off my soap box.

Yes, I don’t completely trust Dave Harper’s opinion pieces.

He’s done some good stuff, but I thought the gold Kennedy article was fantastically off-base and there’s been a couple other articles by him in the past that made me go “what?” In general I find stuff by Michael (when he chooses to write an opinion as opposed to raw news) and Louis to be more likely to be on the mark, and when they’re wrong I usually find that at least their reasoning for their opinion was sound.

64. Sith says

Not worth for me as I would just order one and I will not buy it in bulk. The subscription saves you about $5 but that is the shipping cost, as I’m buying other things it only costs me a about another dollar to buy it with another product and I don’t have to worry about the subscription.

The dealers were already buying in bulk, but not sure why the decrease in orders.

65. Sith says

They were back ordered from the get go, and they were hard to visualize, maybe now that people have seem them they will pick up but with the new offerings…

66. Sith says

Yes, Dave article is based on the fact that “Online prices already seem to be buckling. The only question is how fast.” That is not what I’m seeing on E-bay. I see prices for the silver sky rocketing, and the gold is at least stable if not trending upwards. That is not to say they will not go down, but they have not done so yet.

67. Frankie says

Just received my ATB’s – one is flawless, the other has some rim damage and the third has a 2mm long ding on reverse… I doubt the mint has ANY QC. I’m really tired of having to return stuff – that’s such a waste of my time.

68. Steve says

“Online prices are already buckling?” Has he even looked on Ebay? What a joke article.

69. joe says

There’s an old saying: “The first dollar is the best dollar.” There is no doubt that the HoF coins have a large amount of (positive) emotion tied to them…especially in this blog. With emotion comes inflated opinions of a coin(s) valuation. I don’t think selling now is a bad idea. I doubt the lofty expectations for these coins is going to become reality (at least in the short term) as MCM, etal flood the market with these coins in a few days…graded or otherwise. Yeah…I agree that they were a no-brainer to grab if you purchased them directly from the Mint; however, it may also have been a prudent move on Sith’s part to unload them while people are snapping them up at double RRP. JMO.

70. Samuel says

what i see is, gold coin price is increasing after people see the coin with their own eyes.
    for silver, i would say, many people did not order the silver at the beginning, so they arrive late, so the in hand ones are expensive.

remember the gold pre-sale was $575?

71. MarkInFlorida says

That might sound good today, but I have a feeling the prices will go much higher once the baseball fans find out about them.

72. coolbowser says

Anybody willing to trade a $5 gold proof HOF NGC Early Release for a $5 gold uncirculated HOF NGC Early Release?

73. coolbowser says

I forgot to mention a grade of 70. That would be a trade for a MS for a Proof both graded 70 and Early releases.

74. Dan in Fla says

75. ClevelandRocks says

No. This new format sucks!
    It’s like trying to watch a show that is scrambled.
    I think Michael wants me off the blog IMHO

76. SilverFan says

Just buy the bullion version, and any minor imperfections will not bother you as much.

77. Samuel says

this yr i probably wont buy the bullion version. because the Unc version is only <$20 more expensive.

78. DCDave says

“Michael Please change back to old format if possible. This layout is too hard to follow.”
    100% agree.

Also, most posts on this “Coolidge Dollar” thread are not about the Coolidge Dollar.
    Those interested in your blog like to read the latest comments first.

The comments on Michael’s blog have become an disorganized mess!

79. VABEACHBUM says

Very valid points, C.O.

I would love to see a JFK C&C; maybe as a presentation options for four, Ag PR half-dollars from the four respective Mints. At the moment I cannot recall if JFK had any other Commemoratives and/or Medals that were struck to recognize him.

80. Mark Rex says

Good news and better good news! I need to make a correction to a post I made the other day concerning the ATBs. I have 5 seperate subscriptions for the 5 oz ATBs and a couple days ago was charged $145 and 4x $140 so I had assumed that all my pucks were going to be merged into one shipment. That now appears not to be the case. Today I received one of the five and the site has a different tracking number for each of the five. So I got (or will get) them as I wanted – each in their own box. Saved $20 in shipping too – nice. I think we’re looking at a final mintage of 20-21k for GSMoutains.

Better news; Yesterday I got an email from UPS alerting me of a package from the US Mint. Only thing possible would be my 3/27 12:07p order for the UNC gold. Went to the site and it still had the bag and coin as in stock reserved. Today it finally changed to shipping. I was very excited yesterday but it now appears this package is only the bag but it does mean I’ll be getting my UNC finally! So soon I should have 1 of the 18k full 6 coin sets! Well I mean my 2 month old son will – should of ordered me one too, lol. I got extra $1 coming though.

I prefer the old format too for a couple reasons. I primarily use the iPhone 4S to catch up on the blog and the replies are just not designed for this format. They get to be like one word per line and just looks old. I’m sure I miss comments because I just find the last comment I read then go down from there instead of reading it all again. If the phone did a better job of displaying the page then maybe I would try to see if there were new replies to comments.

81. Mint News Blog says

100% agree.

OK, let me try the old format but with a slight change. Comments will be displayed chronologically without threading, but broken into 100 comments per page, with the most recent page on top–this will help cut down page load time and all the scrolling.

82. Sith says

Michael – One small compliant once you post a comment rather than placing you on the page with the newest comments and seeing your post, the blog sends you back to the page with the oldest comments. If you reload the page it does send you back but just a FYI.

83. Zaz says

@Mark Rex: congrats on completing your BBHOF set in hand, or will soon! The Mint almost always comes through on their orders, though I had my doubts with last year’s WP ASE sets, all of which I eventually canceled because it was taking so long. Looks like Novitex might be an improvement on PBGS.

84. IndenturedServant says

zaz said: : Looks like Novitex might be an improvement on PBGS.”

Novitex IS PBGS. They just changed their name. Lipstick on a pig!

85. JagFan says

For those of you who collect the signature labels:

NGC:

NGC National Baseball Hall of Fame labels featuring authorized facsimile signatures of select Hall of Famers, including Tom Lasorda, Johnny Bench, Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, Reggie Jackson, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan, Ryne Sandberg and Dave Winfield.
    NGC secured licensing rights to include the authorized facsimile signatures.

The Hall of Fame authorized facsimile signature labels will be available from select retailers when the coins are released to the public. Spiegel did not disclose which NGC-authorized retailers will be offered the facsimile autograph option.

PCGS:

As part of its Signature series, PCGS has contracted with San Luis Obispo, Calif., artist Cassie McFarland to autograph grading labels that will be included in encapsulations containing Baseball coins.

McFarland’s baseball glove design was selected as the winner of the public design competition that identified the common design for the concave obverse on each of the three commemorative coin denominations

VABB,

I was interested in seeing sort of a low-cost (sub-$100), “for show” set like what was done for Roosevelt.

I wouldn’t want to load it up with too many silver halves (since we’ll be getting our fill of those this August!), but something like a proof silver half dollar, a proof Kennedy presidential dollar, a JFK medal (like this one: http://www.rivercitycoins.com/exonumia/Presidents/1961kennedypeaceMedal.jpg), and maybe the Jackie Kennedy first spouse medal or another JFK medal would make for a nice set.

87. David says

These prez dollars are monstrosities. I don’t really consider a coin to be a collectors item if they are only issued to collectors and not issued for circulation. There would be hoards of these in mint condition and I can’t see how they’d ever be valuable. These are some of the ugliest coins out there. The edge lettering is a turn-off.