Chaco Culture Quarter Three Coin Set

Today, April 17, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will release the Chaco Culture National Historical Park Quarter Three Coin Set. Sales of numismatic bags and rolls of the coins containing this quarter had begun about two weeks ago on April 2.

The three coin set includes on uncirculated quarter from the Philadelphia Mint, one uncirculated quarter from the Denver Mint, and one proof quarter from the San Francisco Mint. The coins are mounted onto a plastic card, which features an image of the site on the front and a description of the site and coin on the back. This format, prominently featuring an image of the site, was adopted starting this year.

Each set is priced at $9.95 each plus applicable shipping and handling.

All previous America the Beautiful Three Coin Sets still remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website. These are priced higher at 14.95 each.

The US Mint’s change in format and pricing for the 2012 releases of this product type has led to higher sales. The release featuring the El Yunque Quarter has outsold the previous three releases featuring Olympic, Vicksburg, and Chickasaw, despite the fact that it has been on sale for a shorter time period.

Comments

1. Zaz says

I like these cards, I guess they are going head-to-head with the national parks card set offered by Coins of America. The Mint really should redo and reprice the first ten 3-coin sets for better uniformity. Good price point and attractive product. Looking forward to the Acadia 3-coin set.

I agree with Zaz. If the Mint were to re-do the first ten sets with pictures of the sites and price them at $9.95 each, I’d go back and buy them all up to now and build a set of these. I really like the new format. They’re delightfully reminiscent of the 2009 First Day Coin Covers. I just hate the thought of paying $14.95 each for the first ten sets, when they are so drab in comparison. Having Old Faithful, El Capitan and a panoramic view of the Grand Canyon on sets like this would be very attractive.

3. Shutter says

Even at $10, that’s $50 per year. Meanwhile I should be able to get the same coins in proof and uncirculated sets for $37. Are these plastic cards really worth the extra 13 simoleons?

4. J A says

Call me stingy but I don’t think these are worth a single penny over $4.95 per set. Therefore I am PASSING.

Shutter,

They make good gifts, IMO, and “gateway” products for people entering the hobby.

I am a little surprised at people collecting the whole series, though. Then again, it may be that there’s a group who just like the product and are buying without regards to short or long term value. I agree the proof set is a better investment but there’s no accounting for taste.

6. Shutter says

CaptainOverkill,

Let’s see. $10 for 3 coins or $10 for 10 coin circulating set. Which will be a better collector gateway? Or, (and that would be my choice) $15 for 5 proof coins? I think this is mostly a rip-off.

I second the ripoff. Considering it doesn’t even cost the Mint 25 cents to make a quarter. They are (2/3 of the set) spit out with the same coins that go to the Fed. and “sell” for 25 cents. That packaging must be something…. did the GSA get the bid on it?

8. Two Cents says

These cards are not meant for numismatics (unless you collect these things). The main appeal is that they are “eye-candy” for the non-collecting public, who may not even know that these coins exist. And for those who have been to the parks, these cards are a relatively inexpensive souvenir.

I don’t believe people are buying them for their intrinsic value, or expecting to make a profit down the road, or even getting back what they paid for them. People buy them as gifts, or because the coins are in an attractive package, or perhaps they are unwilling to pay more for coins that they do not want (as in unc. or proof sets).

Remember, nobody is forcing you to collect them – if you personally don’t like them for whatever reason, don’t buy them. Ignore them, and let others who do buy them enjoy their purchase.

A big plus is that these cards/coins may spark an interest in other coins, past and present, and bring in another coin-collector to our hobby.

At under $10, isn’t that a good value?

“At under $10, isn’t that a good value?”

Hey I’ll sell you 3 quarters for $10 all day long… how many do you want? You are correct that no one is making anybody buy, but maybe more would be sold if the price were closer to a fair one. I don’t believe anyone is suggesting the Mint not make a profit, but does the government need to gouge us at every turn? I like to think the recent lowering of some prices was due to people voicing their opinion. Don’t you believe if the Mint sold 100K of these @ $5, that would be better than 20K @ $10? It’s not like these are/will be rarities. Wouldn’t these souvenirs then “spark” more interest?

10. Two Cents says

VA, come on … don’t be facetious by asking me how many quarters I want at $10 for every three coins.

So you’re upset because more people aren’t buying the cards? If you aren’t buying them, why do you care?

15,000 to 20,000 people are buying these things, and I bet they don’t think they’re getting ripped off. Sure, another 15-20K might buy if the price were lower, but so what? It’s not like these things are critical items that need to be bought or necessary to complete a collection. If someone has discretionary funds to buy something they like, I say let them be.

Besides, the $10 price may not be far off the mark. Remember, the vendors that supply the cards also have to make a profit, as well as the company that assembles them into the final product. Personnel costs, transportation costs, etc. have to be accounted for too, as well as the value of the two unc. coins and the proof. Set up costs have to be included, as each card is unique in design and text.

Yes, I agree that more people would buy these cards if the price were lower. But if the price were lowered to say $5, the quality of the cards would be greatly affected, and the purchaser will be disappointed at an unimpressive product or even feel ripped off at a shoddy product. I would rather keep the quality high with a matching price, than to lower the quality just to lower the price.

Two Cents – I don’t hold it against anyone that buys these. I WOULD be a buyer if the I felt the price was reasonable, but sadly I don’t. Someone bought the piece of toast with the Virgin Mary on it for $5K AFAIK. Who am I to tell them what not to spend their money on, but I am entitled to my opinion on what I believe to be of little value for my money. I wish I didn’t have to worry about money to the point this seemed a good price. The 15-20K you mention buying these, must have money to burn IMO. Of course you don’t need to take me up on my offer, though I wish someone would. Then I can support my more fugal collecting efforts.

Why do you believe the cards quality would suffer if the cost were $5? How much do you believe they spend on a piece of coated paper? A cereal box has as just many colors, a bag inside, and is probably more costly to produce, yet people just throw them away when the cereal is gone, and depending where you shop it costs >$5.

As I recall a forum member here was making his own 1st day covers for, I believe, Territorial quarters, a while back. I believe the hard part was getting the stamps canceled at the various locations. Everyone that saw them raved about their quality. Someone correct me if I have any details wrong.

12. Two Cents says

These cards are more than just coated paper. They are made of thick durable plastic.

I’m glad you say that people are entitled to spend their money on what they like, even if in your opinion it’s not what you would pay for that product. That is my whole point. It’s when you say that it’s a rip-off and that people are wasting their money, that I don’t agree.

Since we sort of see eye to eye on the main points of this subject, what say we lay this to rest?

And just to let you know, I don’t collect these cards, but can understand why others do. I may pick up a few of the upcoming Hawaii Volcanoes NP ones as gifts though, as I imagine those to look impressive and a good way to show off my hobby, and who knows, attract others into collecting coins.

No harm no foul… this board is all about opinions. I wouldn’t expect agreement on many issues and that’s OK. Now Alice Paul on the spouses….Blah.

14. Two Cents says

I agree with you on Alice Paul … not so much on the design but the concept. I don’t understand why the legislators decided to put her on this bachelor presidential coin when they used classic coin designs on the other bachelor presidents.