Chester Arthur Presidential $1 Coin Cover

The US Mint will begin sales of the Chester Arthur Presidential Dollar Coin Cover today, April 9, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. This will represent the 21st release within the American Presidency $1 Coin Cover series.

Each cover contains two Chester Arthur Dollars from the first day of mintage at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. These coins are mounted on an illustrated display card which contains a 45-cent postage stamp cancelled on March 13, 2012 in Fairfield, VT.

Past covers have been canceled on the official circulation release date of the coin, however, starting with this release the Presidential Dollars are no longer issued for circulation. The US Mint began sales of rolls and boxes of circulation quality Chester Arthur Dollars last week on April 5, 2012, which I think should be considered the release date for the coins. I am not sure if there is any particular significance for cancellation date of March 13, 2012. The product page says that this “marks the day the Chester Arthur $1 Coin Cover was issued by the United States Mint.” I would consider the issue date to be today, April 9, 2012.

The post mark cancellation location of Fairfield, VT appears to have been chosen since it is believed that this is where Chester Arthur was born.

The production limit for the Chester Arthur $1 Coin Cover has been set at 22,000 units. This is the same level used for last year’s covers, which so far have sold from a low of 14,910 for the most recently released James Garfield cover to a high of 18,240 for the first released Andrew Johnson cover.

Pricing is established at $19.95 per cover plus applicable shipping and handling. The US Mint had reduced pricing for several America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars products, however the covers remained unchanged in price compared to the previous year.

Comments

1. Sam says

How very strange — I am confused also regarding Lancaster PA — with no release ceremony, was March 13th the original date for the release?

2. Michael says

The originally intended circulation release date for the coin was February 16, 2012.

3. Michael says

Looking at the image, the postmark location is actually Fairfield, Vermont. This is where Chester Arthur is believed to have been born. I might have been looking at the wrong information when I wrote the post. Whatever the case, it has been updated.

4. auxmike says

These are nice, I had some older ones and sent them to my little niece in TX as a gift. I like them, but they take up too much space and are way over priced for what it is. $9.95 would be fair..

5. TomP says

Off topic

The AGE proof one-tenth ounce went on a 2 week delayed shipping. This is a possible indicator of a soon to be announced sell out. This would leave the 2011 4-coin set left when next week’s 2012 AGE series begins sale on the 19th. At 17,965 as of last week’s announced mintage, this would have the 2011 4-coin set far short of it’s 40,000 max. mintage.

I used to like these covers, but I bailed on them after the price increases and horrible new “black bar” design.

7. DCDave says

Ur kidding me, gold currently pushing to $1651…..trying to deny our price drop for Wed???? Dag….may have to wait until 2013 for the price drop so I can buy another 2011 Buffalo!

8. Crohnos says

I have to agree with the comment on pricing. I would buy these if they were more reasonably priced in spite of the fact that the presidential coins are as homely as a mud fence… But at $20 plus S&H? I would rather save my coin budget for the SSB’s or other more attractive coins.