Crow Nation Code Talkers Bronze Medals

Yesterday, the United States Mint began sales for the latest Native American Code Talkers Bronze Medal. This bronze medal is a duplicate of the Congressional Gold Medal awarded to Code Talkers of the Crow Nation.

The term “Code Talkers” refers to Native Americans who used their tribal languages as a means of secret communication during wartime. In 2001, a Congressional Gold Medal had been awarded to Navajo Code Talkers for their contributions during World War II.  Under the Code Talkers Recognition Act of 2008, additional tribes with members who served as Code Talkers during World War I or World War II were to be recognized.

Late last year, an initial batch of 25 Congressional Gold Medals were awarded to different tribes. This was followed by an additional medal for the Menominee Tribe released during the summer. At the last indication, a total of 33 different tribes were identified as eligible to be recognized.

For the medal recognizing the Crow Tribe, the US Mint prepared three different obverse and two different reverse design candidates which were reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC). The authority to select the final designs rested with the Secretary of the Treasury.

Crow Code Talkres Medal

The selected obverse design depicts a variation of the Army Air Corps Wings with the inscription “Crow Code Talkers”. This design was recommended by both the CFA and CCAC. It was designed by Don Everhart and engraved by Jim Licaretz.

reverse

The selected reverse design carries the Crow Nation Seal with the inscriptions “Act of Congress 2008” and “World War II”. This design had been recommended by the CCAC. It was designed by Don Everhart and engraved by Renata Gordon.

At this point, the US Mint has only provided line art images of the medal. The 3-inch version of the medal is available priced at $39.95 and the 1.5 inch version is available priced at $6.95.

2014 Research and Development Report

The United States Mint has just released its 2014 biennial report to Congress on the research and development of alternative metals for circulating coins. This is the second report required under the Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010, Public Law 111-302.

The full report can be found on the US Mint’s website here. Stay tuned for Mint News Blog coverage of the report next week.

Comments

1. stephen m says

Thanks Samuel, I didn’t know that. @cagcrisp, that would be if all the returns passed inspection? Let’s see how many made the grade.

2. Alfred E. Numismatic says

@KCSO
    “some are liquidating their position for LESS than the higher price of $56.95”
    Good things come to those who are cheap (wait). I got two of those.

3. Alfred E. Numismatic says

@KCSO
    “some are liquidating their position for LESS than the higher price of $56.95”
    Good things come to those who are cheap (wait). I got two of those.

4. Alfred E. Numismatic says

Things seem to be posting double for me when I hit the post button. It will say something regarding a duplicate comment when I hit the post button the first time. I’ll then check it to see if it was posted, and when I see that it isn’t, I post again & it comes out in doubles. What’s up?

5. cagcrisp says

I’ve tracked 5,747 Sales of Silver BHOF coins. There IS Money to be made Selling If you know what you are doing.

These Will Not Last Long….

6. stephen m says

cagcrisp, In my older age everything seems to cost a lot of money. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the proof bhof coins today and at $56.95 the price is high and if, and they must be, they are returns the mint should provide a discount on the sale of returned or used coins. Do the numbers reflect all gold coins were sold?

7. cagcrisp says

@stephen m, Gold BHOF number show they were Slightly Oversold. 50,102 for Both Proof and Uncirculated…

8. Tinto says

@Stephen m

Agree with that discount sentiment … I don’t see a Mint policy about what they do with the returns/rejects … do they know if a particular product was returned/rejected more than once .. maybe someone on MNB does if so I’d appreciate a link to it … I just get that nagging feeling that they just flip the returns/rejects back into the “for sale” category

9. mark says

Ordered (1) proof and (1) uncirculated silver bhof…Dont know why, still sitting on more than i need. But it says processing and shipping method UPS GROUND. Only paid the basic $4.95 shipping. Thought it would be FED EX SMART POST.

10. Clark says

In hindsight, I wish I’d kept one or two of the < PF67 silver BHoFs I returned this summer for Xmas tree ornaments. They really would have looked cool on this year's tree and, as family ornaments tend to get passed along, would adorn trees for generations to come. I may just kick one I relegated to OGP out of the safe, drill a small hole in it and pop it on the tree. The proof version would look nicer, but will scratch over time, so it'll be an unc silver BHoF that serves as the official "2014" family ornament.

Tinto–During the frenzie of returning poor quality silver BHoFs earlier this year, the U S Mint's policy on selling returned coins in the same category (and at the same prices) as new coins repeatedly proved to be true as folks found human hairs, etc. in OGP. Some here, myself included, wrote the word "returned" on boxes or capsules to flag problems. What remains to be seen is whether the Mint will have the audacity to sell twice & thrice rejected coins as "new". If (when) it does, the Mint's policy will be clear, even if it is unwritten.