Don Everhart has retired. Here are some of my favorite Everhart medal and coin designs.

U.S. Mint sculptor-engraver Don Everhart working on the 2015 March of Dimes silver dollar. Everhart also designed the gold $5 coin in the 2016 National Park Service 100th Anniversary Commemorative Program (background) and the Nevada State quarter (inset), among many others.

Part 1 of a five-part series. Click here to read part 2, part 3, part 4, and part 5.

If you collect modern U.S. coins, or if you use coins in day-to-day business, you’ve seen and touched the artwork of one of America’s great living sculptors, Don Everhart.

Don joined the staff of sculptor-engravers at the Philadelphia Mint in January 2004, following a career as a designer and sculptor at the Franklin Mint and as a freelance artist creating figurines, plates, coins, medals, and other works for companies such as Walt Disney Co. and Tiffany, and for international mints such as the Royal Norwegian Mint and the British Royal Mint.

Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee member Dennis Tucker and U.S. Mint sculptor-engraver Don Everhart at the June 21, 2017, CCAC meeting.

I got to know Don in recent years over the course of several visits to the Philadelphia Mint. Whitman Publishing numismatic director Q. David Bowers and I went to Philadelphia to meet the Mint’s engraving staff, tour the production areas, and research in the archives. More recently, since joining the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee in 2016, I’ve benefited from Don’s expertise as he advised the CCAC on technical and artistic questions.

Last Thursday, July 27, 2017, Don Everhart retired from his thirteen-and-a-half-year career at the United States Mint.

He’ll continue to pursue his calling as an artist, working on commissions and personal projects. “I’m retiring while I’m still young enough to enjoy retirement,” he told me recently, noting that he won’t miss the daily 35-mile commute into Philadelphia’s Historic District. The change will give him more time to spend with his family and pursue longtime hobbies and interests such as cycling and music.

Don Everhart designed and/or sculpted more than 100 coins and medals for the United States—a remarkable portfolio ranging from State quarters to silver and gold commemoratives and Congressional Gold Medals, among others. This week, in a series of articles for Mint News Blog, I’ll explore some of my favorite Everhart designs, starting with his first U.S. coin, the 2006 State quarter for Nevada.

Nevada State Quarter, 2006

The 2006 Nevada State quarter—the first U.S. coin designed and sculpted by Don Everhart.

After he joined the Mint staff, Don’s first projects were sculpting other artists’ coin designs, and designing and sculpting medals. Finally in 2005 he sculpted the first coin of his own design: the 2006 State quarter for Nevada.

The Nevada coin debuted eight years into the Mint’s incredibly popular State quarters program, which started in 1999 as a way to commemorate each state in the order it entered the Union. Before long millions of Americans were searching their pocket change and collecting the coins in folders, albums, colorful maps, and other holders. The program was a hit for the United States Mint, and brought many new coin collectors to the hobby.

By 2005 the State quarter series was well under way and it included some finely done and nicely balanced designs. But it also included a few that collectors considered bland, cluttered, or even awkward, with state symbols jumbled together in a hodgepodge. The Mint’s artists were somewhat constrained by guidance received by the states’ governors, who decided on motifs and themes based on input from commissions and the public. This led to, for example, Arkansas’ quarter featuring a faceted diamond, marshlands, a flying mallard duck, and stalks of rice. Try putting all of that onto a one-inch canvas! Louisiana’s quarter commemorated the Louisiana Purchase with an outline map of the continental United States and a highlighted area representing the territory purchased in 1803. Complicating that simple motif, it also included a brown pelican (the state bird) and a trumpet with musical notes (representing New Orleans as the birthplace of jazz).

As he worked on the 2006 Nevada quarter in 2005, Don Everhart had a menu of specific design elements that he had to use: wild horses, sagebrush, the sun rising over the mountains, and the phrase THE SILVER STATE. Artfully combining these elements, he created a tableau that is, in my opinion, one of the most dramatic and effective in the State quarter program. The wild horses, for which Nevada is famous, are shown in energetic motion. The mountains and rising sun are placed in the central background. The mountains are solid and have depth and texture, but they don’t distract from the main scene. Rather they subtly add to its context. Everhart used the sagebrush, another well-known symbol of the American West, to frame the central composition, placing THE SILVER STATE on a banner front and center, tying the elements together. Adding to the dramatic action of the design, the horse in front is actually leaping over the banner, as if jumping off the coin.

This was a remarkable first coinage design—but it was just the beginning.

Click here to read part 2, “The Women Airforce Service Pilots Bronze Medal, 2009.”

Updated on 8/2/17 at 6:21 p.m. to add link to part 2

Updated 8/1/17 at 8:10 a.m. to add a photo of Don Everhart and author Dennis Tucker.

Comments

If Ag remains in it’s current trading range, they’ll be at least two contenders for new Puck lows next year,

Mark my words..,

But don’t wet your pants quite yet, I really don’t think too many people no longer care much for these pucks anymore, just look at the lack of pop in the TR Puck, the quintessential AtB design.

2. Mattarch says

Question for Diana, if she can respond for Whitman Publishing. Will their future date set albums for coin collections include these ‘Enhanced Uncirculated’ coins? Just curious whether to save a set to be broken up later and placed into albums for cents, nickels, and quarters. Is it soon for that type of planning. or if it is a trade secret?

3. Jerry Diekmann says

VA Bob – I agree with everything you are saying. I too have cut way back on mint purchases. Actually there just isn’t much to be excited about that they are putting out, just a lot of gimmicks, in my opinion. The gimmicks and contrived “rarities” by the Mint started in the mid 1990s and they haven’t stopped – 1994 & 1997 nickels, 1995W ASE, 1998 JFK with RFK set, etc. etc. etc.

4. So Krates says

Anyone else have a funky discoloration on the obverse of their Britannia Rules the Waves?

It almost looks like a combination of wear and an oily milkspot. Only on the two highest points.

5. Tinto says

Just saw Coin Vault … they are hawking a PCGS Denver ANA FDI SP70 225th anniv. set (1 of 1,000) in individual slabs for about $480.00 ….

6. earthling says

Wow $480.00 what a deal ! I suppose I’d rather have hot Clad in plastic that something boring like a 1/4 Oz Gold Coin or maybe several 5 Oz Silver Pucks.

🤔

Hmmmm………………………….

7. cagcrisp says

AM Gold Fix $1,266.65

There WILL be a Gold price Increase this afternoon IF the PM Gold Fix is $1,250.00 or Above…

8. KML in KY says

Who buys this crap from Coin Vault. Somebody must or they wouldn’t be in business.

I wish those Coin Vault customers would get on Great Collections & eBay when I’m selling scarce gold & silver coins.

This coin stuff has gone crazy. I’m lucky to break even and yet Coin Vault can sell a set of clad coins with a mintage of 225K for $480.00

No more selling for me for a while. I will buy much less and hold and hope that sometime while I’m still alive PM’s go up again like they did in 2011.

9. Tom says

Yesterday, at the ANA Fair, I passed by a Big Boy ” dealer” handing box after box of the Enhanced Sets over to one of the TPG ‘s. Working hard to get that special BLUE SKY label .

10. cagcrisp says

@Tom, Could you ask a Mint rep just how many 225 UE sets they had at the ANA show?…

11. Mint News Blog says

That’s a good question, @Mattarch. To my knowledge it hasn’t been discussed yet, but my hunch is that it won’t be included — and if it is, it will be several years from now, when enough time has passed to see if a market develops for it. Just 225,000 exist of each coin, and a large percentage of those will remain in sets. That means most folders and albums with a 2017 Enhanced Unc. slot would have an empty hole on the page forever. (Although one possibility that comes to mind is that the slot could have a removable placeholder pog that could stay in place unless the collector has an EH coin.)

At any rate, you can be sure the publisher, Dennis Tucker, will be mulling it over!

12. Mint News Blog says

Chuckling at your ordering adventure. The available analytics can tell the Mint how many orders were place on PCs vs Macs, with which web browsers, and so on. If only they could tell us how many orders were made on cellphones in restrooms! Given the fact that all sales open at noon Eastern on weekdays, I bet there are quite a few.

Also, I’m looking forward to hearing your app experience. I wonder whether someone at the Mint reads the comment threads — there’s a lot to be learned from the ones on MNB!

13. Mint News Blog says

@Just Another Dave in Pa — Mr. Everhart did, indeed, design and sculpt both the obverse and the reverse of the gold $5 National Park Service commemorative.

14. Tom says

@ cagcrisp. I am told by several dealers during breakfast that the Mint started with over 20,000 sets.

15. Mint News Blog says

None on the obverse of mine, but there’s something like that on Britannia’s shoulder on the reverse.

So Krates, Yes, there is something on the surface of the “Britannia Rules the Waves” coins. Personally, I didn’t like mine sealed in what they came in, so I put them in safe flips so they can breath some.
    Where I see what appears to be a cleanser, or oil is on the arm and cheek of Britannia, and yes, only on the obverse.

17. cagcrisp says

@KML in KY ” I will buy much less and hold and hope that sometime while I’m still alive PM’s go up again like they did in 2011.”

Wise Decision…

18. cagcrisp says

PM Gold Fix $1,269.60

Gold Increase Today…

(Now IF there was just some Gold worth purchasing)…

19. JARHEADnFLORIDA says

@cagcrisp, what is the best way to diversify my gold holdings? Right now I do not have any old gold, mostly foreign made gold.

20. cagcrisp says

@JARHEADnFLORIDA

1. Depends on your Goals?
    2. Depends on your Time horizon?
    3. Depends on how much money you have to Invest?…

21. JARHEADnFLORIDA says

@cagcrisp

1- My goal is to pass half of my holdings to my 2 children.
    2- My time horizon is to cash in half of my holdings in 6 years.
    3- About $ 12,000 in the next 6 years, to invest.

22. Old Big Bird says

Interesting, I had two orders. One for 8 placed first. Then another placed 2 minutes later for 2.
    The order for 2 sets has been marked as ship. The order for 8 placed first still in processing!!

23. John Q. Coinage says

? for all, lots of talk about albums & slots in folders for the EU coins…..but how many of us know anyone say under 40 who is buying “coin albums” or under 30…..20’s….? Coins are becoming US Stamps, not where you want to go….the ‘big boys’ & profiteers killed US $tamp value, coins are following the same path & the mint’s conduct to someone trying to collect is @ the least shall we say inconsiderate or just being a arse to your base…..

24. JARHEADnFLORIDA says

John Q. Coinage- My daughter is 20 and she has put together quarters, and cent folders. She loves the chase of finding these coins, and finishing such folders.

25. gatortreke says

@Daveswfl: I just put my Britannia in an air-tite last night. You need a 39 mm capsule (I think this is a standard silver bullion size). Per the Pobjoy site, the coin measures 38.60 mm.

26. cagcrisp says

@JARHEADnFLORIDA

1- “My goal is to pass half of my holdings to my 2 children”. For the children I would do something for them that interests them Personally. I would buy 100 year old Gold coins from their birth year. Once you have something that interests the child they have a much better chance of keeping the Gold coin vs. selling later. I would NOT get slabbed coins. I’ve given a Lot of Gold coins away and everyone that I have given a Gold coin to would rather have a Gold coin in hand vs. a slabbed coin. Slabbed coins are Great IF you want to sell, raw coins are much better for keeping.

2- “My time horizon is to cash in half of my holdings in 6 years” I’ve never Sold a Gold coin and I don’t invest for the sake of selling coins. IF you are going to be cashing in Gold in 6 years that’s not enough of a time horizon to purchase anything that will appreciate much more than the Spot price of Gold. Longer term like 20-30 years after the Baby Boomers have Sold off all their coin collections, then there will be some Winners and Losers but that will not happen until 2040 or later.

3- About $ 12,000 in the next 6 years, to invest. The lower denomination Gold coins will be Winners going forward. Personally I have been purchasing $2.50 Gold coins for Years and Years. $2,000/year for 6 years and you can get some bang for your buck.

…SO…IF I had young children (grandchildren) and I had $1,000/year to invest for them ($1.000 for them/$1,000 for you) I would buy $2.50 Liberty or $2.50 Indian Head Gold coins that were NOT slabbed.

Personnally I’m about 95% finished buying Gold $1.00, $2.50, $3.00, $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00 from Liberty, Indian Head and St Gauden for ALL my Children and Grandchildren. Some specifically dated for Children and Some specifically dated for Grandchildren.

The Graded coins that I have I’ve told that IF they want to Sell, Sell because they are more liquid, however, I would hope they will keep all the Specific dated Gold coins.

So far they ALL agree…We will see…

27. Daveswfl says

Gatorgeke,
    Thanks for the info

Enhanced set fans – someone just sold a 1000 set lot on eBay at $39.99 per set. Fees, shipping, and insurance subtracted and the gamble yields a modest return.

We will see what happens long term. I’m with cag on this one!

28. Goat says

KCSO ;

Are you still buying AG ? The reason I ask is, I think dollar cost averaging is best, if you are using money that you don’t need, but if you have loans I would pay that off then play. When one buys right, in the market at that time don’t let it discourage you if the price dips below (if you are long market ), stay true to a plan. I have bought up and down the market for years and I can say, I can sell because of that. I like you you are aggressive and have good post, thanks.
    None of my business just want to help.

One needs to take note of cagcrisp response to JARHEADnFLORIDA , $12000 in next 6 yrs. not dump $12000 today in the market . In those six years one might buy lower or higher each year compared to another year but one is purchasing. Planning/goal is key and staying to the plan/goal.

One has to be true to yourself, that’s one person you can’t bs.

29. JARHEADnFLORIDA says

@cagcrisp, Thank you for the advice, I also forgot to mention that I have way more silver than gold per ounces ratio. This is having me wonder should a trade of silver for more ounces of gold, be a better deal in the timeframe I stated above?

30. Erik H says

JARHEADnFLORIDA,

When the gold / silver ratio tightens you could then sell silver & buy gold.

31. theofie says

bought 99 sets sold 98 sets just looking to get 1 set In mint packaging to keep and get 1 graded set later.
    do most people feel this makes me the bad guy or just a smart collector ?

32. So Krates says

Diana/Dustyroads – Yes you are right – it’s the reverse (the side with Britannia). I spoke to the folks at Pobjoy and they are aware of the issue. It seems the change in temps and humidity during overseas shipping (especially in summer) cause condensation to form inside the sealed package. They are working on a solution. Supposedly after they settle a while in a consistent environment it should resolve itself.

Although they thought they were probably right in using “Britannia”, they did not want to rock the boat with the Royal Mint, so they amicably settled the matter.

33. Mint News Blog says

Thanks for the update, So Krates — it’s nice to think that might go away in time.

34. Joe M. says

@ theofie
    If you made a profit, you made the CORRECT decision.
    That’s a gold star for you.
    Anyone states with discontent, that’s their opinion…
    and you know what the saying is about opinions.
    😉

35. phishfarmer says

I just bought one 225 anniversary set just now
    just went to the site, added to my cart and processed it
    no email confirmation yet
    but it appears there’s more available