Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

Today, April 13, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will open sales for products containing circulating quality 2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Dollars. This will represent the second release for this year and the thirty-fourth release overall for the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

eisenhower-presidential

The obverse design of the Eisenhower Presidential Dollar features a front facing portrait of Dwight D. Eisenhower designed and engraved by Joseph Menna. During the design review phase, both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee had recommended this design.

The reverse of the coin carries the rendition of the Statue of Liberty designed and engraved by Don Everhart. This design has been used in common for all reverse designs of the series.

The products available for sale from the Mint contain circulating quality examples of the 2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Dollar from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint facilities. The packaging options include 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95, and 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95, with each option available from either facility. All products feature packaging containing the name of the President, the face value of the contents, and the mint mark.

There are no stated product or ordering limits imposed. Customer demand will determine the number of coins minted. Last month, the US Mint indicated preliminary production for the coins at 3.36 million pieces struck at Denver and 4.90 million pieces struck at Philadelphia. Since 2012, newly released Presidential Dollars have not been distributed for general circulation and have only been available within numismatic products.

1971-eisenhower

President Eisenhower has made appearances on three other dollar coins struck by the United States Mint. He was featured on the last large sized circulating dollar coin series, known as the Eisenhower Dollar, issued from 1971 to 1978. The obverse of the coin featured a left-facing portrait of the President designed by Frank Gasparro. The reverse featured an image of a bald eagle landing on the moon carrying an olive branch, based on the Apollo 11 mission insignia. In 1976, a special bicentennial reverse design featured an image of the Liberty Bell superimposed over the moon.

1990-eisenhower

Eisenhower was featured on a commemorative silver dollar issued in 1990 to celebrate the centennial of his birth. The obverse design by John Mercanti featured a right-facing portrait of an older Eisenhower against a left-facing portrait of a younger Eisenhower as a five-star general. The reverse, designed by Marcel Jovine and modeled by Chester Young Martin, featured a depiction of Eisenhower’s retirement home in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

2012-eisenhower

Lastly, Eisenhower was featured on another commemorative silver dollar issued in 2012 as part of a program honoring the five-star generals of the United States Army. The obverse, which was designed by Richard Masters and engraved by Joseph Menna, features portraits of George C. Marshall and Dwight D. Eisenhower against a striped background. The reverse, designed by Barbara Fox and engraved by Joseph Menna, features the Leavenworth Land with the crest of Fort Leavenworth on its side.

Comments

1. Larry says

Goofy Coinworld says my subscription has expired but I sent them money back in January and I even have the canceled check. Arghhhhh! Anyone else have this problem?

Larry,
    Did you send them Presidential dollars as payment? If so, like most places, including my local Post Office, they are still trying to figure out if they are legal tender or merely play money.

3. A Bob says

What is next, Vice President dollars? First pet dollars? First mistress dollars? I’m on pins and needles.

4. CasualCollector says

OT: Just noticed they updated the 2014 First Spouse Medal Sets to “SOLD OUT”

5. Dave SW FL says

Did the Eleanor Roosevelt FS gold $5 coins ever get marked “sold out” or did they just remove them from the gold order page?

6. Tinto says

from previous article

@GoldFishin

Thanks for the links to the 2 TPG’s restoration services .. I don’t have US coins that need the service but I do have a British penny and half penny (I think) from the early 1800’s that had been gilded and now they are showing lots of greenish spotting . I bought them over 25 years ago and never took care of them properly …. oh well

7. D Rittenhouse says

@Dave SW FL,
    I think the Eleanor Roosevelt gold coin pages have been removed (mostly). Watch how the Mint’s catalog software expands this URL for the uncirculated version, and then claims that the page doesn’t exist.

This is a World coin but I noticed on Perth site the HR Chinese Mythical is “unavailable” with a nice low 1,000 coins made…Hope for a winner, it is a stunner…

CasualCollector says
    APRIL 13, 2015 AT 4:12 PM

OT: Just noticed they updated the 2014 First Spouse Medal Sets to “SOLD OUT”
    Check back in an hour…hee hee

10. Larry says

Well Coinworld turned my subscription back on. They responded quickly, so they are OK, we all make mistakes.

11. D Rittenhouse says

fmtransmitter says
    “@thePhelps, U know I was referring to the Ronald statement during his debate right?”

What planet are you from? First, you ignorantly mixed up a last name (Rubio) and a first name (Dwight). Pick one or the other. And then you confuse a great Republican President with some feeble Democratic wannabe Vice President. Ever heard of Lloyd Bensten?

I wonder what it’s like to glide through life and be so detached from reality and history.

D Rittenhouse,
    “There you go again.” But I am not referring to you, Mr. Rittenhouse. I’m sure, however, you are well aware that these were the words spoken by Ron Reagan in his 1980 Presidential debate with Jimmy Carter.

13. Jerry Diekmann says

Why do the conversations turn nasty, and so quickly? The subject is Dwight Eisenhower. If we want to castigate different presidents, wait until they appaear on our coinage. Some people hate FDR, but they mostly stayed quiet when his coin made its turn. No one in this group tryuly remembers how bad 12 years and 3. Republican presidents were from Harding through Coolidge through Hoover, so they got off lightly. History shows both Truman and Eisenhower, of different political parties, were strong leaders, even if they were also imperfect in some ways. The same can be said of JFK and LBJ when their turns come up later this year. I think the Mint has gone way overboard with JFK, and his design is ver poor, IMO, but everything good and bad about him has already been said. LBJ was a man difficult to like, and he was deceived by his staff about what was really taking place in Vietnam, so much so, that he decided not to run for another term, and he died four years later, just a month after Truman. If you want someone to throw tomatoes at, the first two presidents from next year, Nixon and Ford, should provide a limitless number of chances to criticize. Ford looks good only because he followed Nixon, but he was incompetent, and he was never elected either VP or President by the people, the only president in history not to be, and he was so bad that he was easily defeated by a very weak candidate in the name of Jimmy Carter. If you really think about it, the only strong President this country has had since 1969 was Ronald Reagan. All the rest have not done the job right, IMO. There – I had praise and criticism for both parties.

Jerry – hard to argue your last point… although many will say Clinton was a great president. Then you ask them what exactly did he do to become great and they will say…well the economy was great when he was in office. So you then ask and what exactly did he do to make the economy grow and they can’t really give you an answer. Sure you’ll hear how he turned the deficit around and you ask what did he do to cause that… and they still can’t give you an answer.

Clinton survived his terms in office, because technology blew up in the 90’s. Cell phones, TV’s, computers… just to name a few technologies that had nothing to do with him. Those alone created a huge number of new jobs, and as such new tax dollars which also lowered the deficit. Many would argue that the housing crash was caused by his loose policies for the banking industry. (others will blame that on Carter).

Want to deal with immigration? Check what Eisenhower did in the 50’s – when he implemented operation wetback. While I think Nixon…was…a crook. He also actually could do foreign policy, unlike some of the more recent presidents, and I rate him higher for that.

FDR proved you can spend America back to prosperity – and most presidents since then have found out you can spend us back to poverty using his ideals.

15. MikeinPa says

@thePhelps, JerryDiekman would you care to elaborate what made Raegan a great president?

16. Jerry Diekmann says

Reagan was not a particularly great President, IMO, but he was an effective leader and his actions against the hated Soviet Union helped a lot to bring about that “evil empire’s” downfall, and he should recive high marks for that. He did bring down inflation, and I guess he should get credit for that too. But he was involved deeply in the Iran-Contra scandal, but he escaped with little blame. He was by far the most presidential looking person that I have seen since LBJ, and no one else comes close to him in those categories. Yes, I am well aware that he was an actor, and being President requires a fair amount of acting. Did he care for the disadvantaged in this country – very little. Was he perfect – no. Was he fundamentally a decent man – I think so.

Clinton, like thePhelps has pointed out, probably has received too much in the way of praise. Incredibly intelligent and a gifted speaker, he was fundamentally both amoral and immoral in his dealings with others. He happened to be president during some good economic times, but how much of that was due to him or his policies is an open question. I voted for him twice but I learned to dislike him. I don’t think he really ever stood for anything – whatever was best for Bill was good enough for the country. He also presided over some of the dismantling of New Deal regulations which had kept our country safer from the machinations of Wall Street, the big banks, and the insurance industry, and once those regulations were gone, thesegreedy bastards all got together and within a few short years we had a real estate meltdown, a stock market crash, and the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Carter should get high marks as a peacemaker, bringing Israel and Egypt together through the Camp David accords. But Carter also had some real failures – he could not control inflation, or the Fed, and inflation, which he had inherited from the Nixon-Ford presidencies and the Vietnam War, became rampant during his presidency. His actions during the Iran hostage crisis, holing up in the White House, resulted in the crisis lasting as long as it did. he tried to micromanage too many things, instead of having trusted advisors help him. He deserves the generally low marks history has given him. Was he a good man – very much so. Do we always need very good men to be our President? No, not always – the job requires strength of character, leadership abilities, and integrity, but don’t equate those qualities with goodness. Politics is not goodness – it would be nice if it were, but it isn’t, so we need to realize what it is.

There – I have tried to be impartial and fair to both political parties. Both parties have had heroes and both of nthem have had sleazebags. Part of the problem today is that more and more politicians are acting like sleazebags. They are “evil stewards” and they do not represent the needs, wishes, or wants of the American people, and that is why today this country is so divided and why there is so much antagonism between the parties. The American people deserve better than they are getting – from the Republicans and the Democrats both.

Now, I jumped off my soapbox!

17. merryxmasmrscrooge says

I listen to Nixon’s speeches on youtube, good speeches. I don’t know why mabey I’m an idiot, but really like him. His term was during the Apollo landings. Nixon would have been one of our greatest presidents if it weren’t for Watergate.

Scrooge – Nixon did good things – and crooked things. He got caught and remembered for the crooked things, and lost in it were the good things. Carter did good things like the arms treaties, and incredibly dumb things, like Jerry said trying to micro-manage. Many say the reason the rescue of the Iran captives failed is because of his micro-managing the rescue attempt.

MikeinPA… many forget how bad the economy was when Reagan took office. I believe the term used was stagflation… losing jobs, rapidly rising costs, and interest rates in the teens and low twenties. There hasn’t been a time in history that had people losing jobs and prices rising like it, and no one was offering a solution – til Reagan. He also took on the Soviets with a huge bluff that caused them to eventually fold as scrooge pointed out.

Like Jerry… I’ll fold my soapbox.

19. stephen m says

merryxmasmescrooge, O.T. The reason Reagan never fired a shot was because Russia, at the time, claimed to be broke after it’s war in Afghanistan. The ending of the cold war, as everything, was hinged on money. Russia claimed to want to be friends with the US but all they wanted was our money. The public fell for it. Anyway it was a great moment in history when the wall came down. On topic I don’t acquire the presidential dollars so I won’t purchase the D. D. Eisenhower dollar.

stephen… The Soviets (not Russia) were broke – it wasn’t a claim. They also had no idea what technology the US had and knew the couldn’t compete with “Star Wars” based on their own technology and cash flow. That ended their control and the wall came down because of it. I’m not sure what “the public fell for it” means? There is little doubt all those things happened.

21. cagcrisp says

Question about “S” quarters. Never bought any rolls or bags. THINKING about buying some Turkey’s. Looking back at some previous options and I see that the Mint has SO for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park 2014 Quarter, 40-Coin Roll. Current Sales numbers shows 6,568. Does the Mint just sell so many and pull them? Do they have a normal time frame? What about the 100 coin bags?

Any help/advice on “S” quarters would be appreciated. I’m Not interested in any “P” or “D” options, just “S”…

22. MikeinPa says

Thanks guys for your thoughts on Raegan, agree with most of them, now waiting for the turkey pucks in two weeks

cagcrisp… in theory the quarters are to be removed from sales after a year. I think it has been close for most of them. When the mint issues the next quarter in the series they have been removing the previous one.

Shenandoah National Park should be coming down …when the Turkeys fly…

cagcrisp…I’d also mention what I’ve seen so far – the S mint quarters appear to be the better quality coins. (IMO)

cagcrisp~ I started buying the “S” quarters when they hit the market in 2012. They do hold the quarters rolls for one year, then pull them during the subsequent years release. I don’t know why, but the Mint will continue to offer the bags for a short time after the release, but not for long. I have never looked into exactly how long the bags are held, but I see that the Great Smoky Mountain bags are now sold out, so it must not be for long. It’s anyone’s guess if these will ever see much appreciation, but they aren’t sold any other packaging, so for the price, I like them.

26. Sith says

@cagcrisp – Just remember they unexpectedly pulled the 2012 “S” quarters at 1.4 million even though they were suppose to be minted to demand.

27. Sith says

@cagcrisp – The product pages for previous year’s releases indicate that the products will be available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory is depleted prior to the one year time-frame. I don’t see anything on the current pages.

28. KEITHSTER says

Man I’m glad I collect coins and not history books ! There is good and evil in all of us and you can’t change what they the President’s have done. But now you can make change with what they have been reduced too roll’s bag’s or boxes! On the S quarters I’ve been stacking them from the get-go but lately have been getting them at the end of there run. which used to be the one year thing? But now seems to be one year and one next release and if that holds the Shenadoah’s should go out with your turkey’s and at a lower# then most lately.They pull them all on the same day and must send them to the guy who feeds the Waffler Machine to give him something to do? I think someday they will be a good gateway coin for the new little coin addicts that can’t afford the big shiny stuff? But then I’m a Collspecorder by nature collector-Speculator-Hoarder so what do I know ? Also am glad they marked the bronze 2014 sold out the must not have had any extra envelopes or you guys did not send back the bad ones? Mine where in a smaller box and don’t seem to move to much so they should be ok? Well nuff for now Got to go figure out them dam taxes !!Good Luck Always To All:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

29. cagcrisp says

@thePhelps, Dustyroads, Sith, KEITHSTER, Thanks for the input. Good information. That’s why I asked. I still think I will buy some when they ring the Opening Bell…

Hard to go wrong with “S” clad’s cag…They are so far lower mintage and I believe will always do well with new hobbyists…If one day you can do a bulk grading and end up with some 70’s I believe you would do really well on the secondary or at coin shows if your looking to sell or make money from them. These Prez dollars go for just under $2 consistently.

31. Dave SW FL says

S quarter roll collectors…….anyone have the mintage figures on the 2013 S quarters by location? My Blue Book only has the 2012 numbers.

32. cagcrisp says

There has been a total of 23 items Eliminated from This weeks excel spreadsheet compared to last weeks. Most have been eliminated from the Mint’s website search but a few are Now showing as SO…

cag….I guess I am surprised that 40,691 proof MOD coins have sold. Since they are going to go on sale in a month and include 2 silver dimes for just a bit more.

34. cagcrisp says

@thePhelps, Surprises me Also. The demand for the coin Greatly exceeded what I would have thought. I’m not a fan and would have thought if you wanted one you would have waited for the Special Set. For those interested in the Special Set, this bodes well…

I generally buy the uncirculated coins – and if I like the coin – the proof. I actually like this design compared to the last few and decided to hold out for the 3 coin set – since it won’t be a huge price bump. Yes, it makes for a premium on the dimes – but what the heck – they will be unique to the set.

I think the early money at $98 is also interesting – but what will they bring 10 -15 years from now is more important to me… when I need to sell them to buy beans. (jk’ing)

Dave SW FL~ According to the US Mint spreadsheet figures for Dec 28, 2014 AtB “S” minted circulation quality quarter mintage are as follows-

WT MTN: 1,606,900
    PY VTY: 1,425,740
    GT BSN: 1,296,500
    MC HNRY: 1,313,680
    MT RSM: 1,373,260

Mintages have been trending around the 1.3 million range per release since this report.

thePhelps~ Ok, no more talk about selling to buy beans, though I’m sure we could all probably eat a little less!

My take on the higher than expected MoD proof dollar sells is that the Mint has pulled a few heart strings of those remembering the days of the original March of Dimes fundraiser. At one time, those cardboard standup’s with the dime slots were everywhere, and we should all know by now how well the Mint has become at tapping into the vast wealth of the over 55. I won’t be buying one myself, but I will buy the set. The day will soon come when these dollars will be devalued, but the dimes should hang in there without a problem.

38. Dave SW FL says

FM. Ooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!

Dusty roads. Thanks for those numbers. That makes Great Basin the key of the set thus far. For those keeping track, Great Smokey Mountain sold out at 1,360,780.

S ATB lovers – you have converted me. I started my roll collection today buying all currently available rolls from the mint and several others off the Bay. I don’t think they will reach W dime status, but they should command a premium down the road. Hope to educate the grandkids . Started the oldest with a complete Kennedy Unc set.

39. cagcrisp says

According to the Mint’s Sales numbers…..There was NOT a net/net First Spouse Gold coin Sold last week. Zero..

According to the Mint’s Sales numbers…..There was NOT a single 2013 First Spouse Gold coin Sold…Zero

According to the Mint’s Sales numbers…..2014 First Spouse Gold Coins, There were 2 Positive w/w numbers (15) and 3 Negative w/w numbers (-15)…net/net Zero….

40. Tinto says

Speaking of rolls, I was watching Coin Vault for a few minutes yesterday and I see they are hawking NGC certified Gem Unc 2015 ASE rolls of 20 …. is this something new by NGC?

I bought one each of some of the S unc ATB quarter bags but somehow lost interest since the earliest ones had a lot of spots (some brownish) on many of the coins. Maybe time to revisit and maybe resume purchasing them till the series conclude ….

41. Ends in Error says

I opened up 3 BU 2014 First Spouses today ( Harding, Hoover, Coolidge) and I actually like all 3 of them. They are all very classy looking dignified scupts of some historic ladies.

I think I’m going to go for all the BU’s for the rest of the series. I have no interest in anything earlier. The few early ones I do have, I might sell off at melt ( especially that Martha Washington).

42. D Rittenhouse says

cagcrisp says

You keep using that phrase. I do not think that phrase means what you think it means.

(At least if you’re trying to use net-net in a financial sense.)