Edith Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin

Today, November 21, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales for the 2013 Edith Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin. This release comes just one week after the start of sales for the previous issue featuring Ida McKinley.

Edith Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin

The obverse design of the latest coin features a portrait of Edith Roosevelt in an uncharacteristic pose compared to the rest of the series. During the design review phase, a member of the CCAC provided some background for the image. It seems to be created from a composite of two photographs, one of which Theodore Roosevelt had referred to as the only photograph of Edith that he ever cared for. The design was also favored by the Roosevelt family and the Roosevelt Association.

The reverse design features the White House with a slightly off center column and compass to represent Edith Roosevelt’s work in the restoration of the White House in 1902.

The obverse was designed by Joel Iskowitz and engraved by Joseph Menna. The reverse was designed by Chris Costello and engraved by Don Everhart.

Initial pricing for the Edith Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coins will be $820 for the uncirculated version and $840 for the proof version. Pricing is based on an average weekly gold price within the $1,250 to $1,299.99 range. As this post is written, gold has slipped below this range creating the possibility of a price reduction next week.

The maximum mintage for the coin is established at 10,000 pieces across both versions. Customer demand will determine the ratio of proof to uncirculated coins within the mintage limit. There are no household ordering limits in place.

Sales for the previously released Ida McKinley coins had opened roughly flat compared to the prior year. The US Mint accepted orders for 1,282 proofs and 945 uncirculated coins, for total sales of 2,227 units from the 10,000 maximum mintage.

The next issue for the series featuring Helen Taft is scheduled to be released on December 2, 2013.

2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set

Also today, the US Mint will begin sales of the 2013 America the Beautiful Circulating Coin Set. This product provides an easy method to acquire one example of each of the 2013-dated quarters from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.

atb-set

Each set includes the White Mountain National Forest Quarter, Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial Quarter, Great Basin National Park Quarter, Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine Quarter, and Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarter. One example of each coin is provided from the Philadelphia and Denver Mint.

The ten coins are placed within packaging which allows them to be easily removed for placement in an album or other storage option.

This product is priced at $5.95 per set.

The America the Beautiful Circulating Coin Sets from 2010 and 2011 still remain available for sale. These have reached total sales of 33,308 and 29,476 units, respectively.

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

Will have to let this slide for a while as I spent her moneys last night on some 5oz’s. Like someone had said she’ll be around for sometime were as the 5er’s won’t? Thanks Leo I thought it was moms computer but it must have been the mints website I too was trying to order last night around that time and could not add anything to the cart? But then by adding it to the wish list frist I could then get it in the cart so I got them! Seem’s to be working fine now maybe they were tweeking it for the goldrush today sorry Lady you will have to wait so see you later:) Good luck to you all at noon today :>

2. Boz says

Perhaps it is just me, but mint website will not allow purchases at this time. The shopping cart process is malfunctioning.

3. Leo S. says

To Keithster

Thank you for the tip on going thru the wish list method. It took a few tries but I was finally able to get the two 5 oz in the cart and got the order in. I was going nuts last night trying to order and finally gave up.

Thanks again

Leo

With gold presently under $1,250, I’m going to hold off on ordering Edith Roosevelt for a few days and see if I can save $25 per coin.

Even if the price decrease doesn’t happen, at least it appears that Helen Taft will debut on Dec. 2 at no more than the current price tier, as her opening price will be determined by the fixes of Nov 21 through 27. I’ll be glad to be able to lock in at least three of the five 2013 designs for “only” $840 and $820 each. I never thought the day would come when I would actually be glad to be able to buy First Spouses at today’s price levels, but after paying $1,004 and $991 each for my 2012 proofs and uncs, today’s prices look like bargains!

5. Boz says

Never had to go thru the double cart process before. But using wish list first seems to work even if an extra step is involved. Pitney Bowes people deny anything is wrong as I just talked with them and they claim no issues have been reported.

Yep…Perry backordered… now it looks like a race to the end for the McHenry and Rushmore. Best coin wins?

I’ll stick with 20.5K each as the sellout level for McHenry and Rushmore, but I’ll probably be proven wrong. The story of my life lately!

8. Wes says

OT I just ordered a sealed mint set from a dealer. Has anyone on here ever opened one up and found a double die or cameo proof? I saw a story once on TV about a scam where the sealed envelopes were opened and then resealed. I thought I would get one any way.

9. KEITHSTER says

Yep locked in my Perry’s on the 19th would not want to be on that backorder list after what happend on my WM’s ? See the unc dollar set is on a funky date backorder isn’t that how the GB’s sold out? Brad had 4 and then cancelled ? did you jump back in on the back order? Ya last night was a mess wanted somemore Forts &Mounts and they would not go in at all till I went wishlist seems to be hit and miss today no problems hey ya right? I think the order of mintage will go GB PV FM WM and the most go to MR Good luck to us all:) :>

10. Leo S. says

Ida McKinley just arrived and the coins look great. I’m glad I have kept this series going even thought it seems that very few collectors like these coins. It would be great if the Mint would create a display box to house each President along with their wife(s). Seems like the least they could do for those of us who have stuck with this program. I also will wait to order the Teddy wife and see if the price drops. Many of the gold experts are predicting a continuing drop in gold prices so maybe we will get lucky and won’t see $1000 price tags on these coins for a while.

Good luck to all those still collecting this series.

Wes… if you are ordering a more current mint set – then yes they are prbably legitimately sealed. I haven’t encountered any modern errors in my sets.

The scam sets are those people selling sealed sets from the 50’s and 60’s. I personally purchased a stack of mint envelops in about 2000 – all unsealed brand new envelops… so if I have them anyone could have them. I don’t buy into the sealed mint sets – unsearched rolls… none of that. I’m not even sure I really care about unopened boxes from the mint… although those seem to sell like hotcakes.

Keithster,

Yeah, I cancelled the order of 4 PV and 1 MR yesterday and re-ordered 5 PV today after the backorder notice appeared. It will probably end up being cancelled though, not by me this time but by the Mint due to lack of product. Oh well, I figured I’d try anyway. If the new sales figure next week jumps up to near the 20.5K level after the GB sellout, I might cancel it again myself. I don’t know if PV will be worth too much if it sells that many. 18K maybe, but 20.5K I have doubts. At least on backorder, it should remain able to be cancelled for long enough to see some new sales statistics beofre making the decision.

13. Wes says

The Phelps No it is a 60’s set from an internet dealer I think is okay. If I am being played for a sucker it’s not that big a deal being that it is just one set. I do keep some unopened boxes from the mint. I will probably open it.

14. Samuel says

this PV “Product will be available for shipping 12/06/2013” is like the WM? 2nd batch coming in?

15. Ray says

PV will be gone in days. Just like what happened most recently with Great Basin. I hurried and ordered a single PV, but just canceled realizing how ugly of a coin it is. I hate when I get caught up in hype. I’m sticking with only buying coins I really like. PV doesnt do it for me. Hopefully that helps out someone who does adore it.

16. vaughnster says

@Ray–It’s not so much adoring the PV or the hype. I need it to continue collecting the entire set. Many of the designs leave a lot to be desired, but I’m determined to have every P and bullion issue in the series.

17. simon says

Vaughn : ditto here – these coins are entirely unique, unbelievable values (no other mint is offering pristine 5 Oz’rs at $155), and highly collectible, and I want the full set period. Actually it is the first time for me as a collector that I will have a full set of these coins in OGP, original issue, direct from the US Mint. To my mind this is history in the making ! Years down the road a full set of these will be very highly desirable.

18. AkBob says

I’m with you guys as well. I’ve been collecting a roll of every issue in bullion though. The lower prices are very welcome and indeed, these will make exceptional sets when all is said and done. Keep those AtB’s a coming!!!

19. Ray says

If I was collecting coins when this series began, i would be doing the same. i might not wait til last minute tho. but thats just me. i bought all but the PV this year. i started last year and was able to get denali. i regret not buying acadia and hawaii. but i was younger and dumber. cant wait for the 2014 AtBs. i hope the mint gets on the ball and starts selling these earlier in the year.

20. Sith says

I like Perry :-)…I had to back out of the MR. I bought some gold at these prices and I had to cut corners. I’m sure I will regret it but what can you do

21. Wontaker says

With WM & GB gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Perry on life suppt
    Fort Mac & Mt Rush are running scared!!!!!!

I Love It

It looks to me that Perry’s Victory could be the lowest seller. That would make since from the Mints point of view, because it’s a such a plane jane coin.

I’m beginning to admire the “collecting the set” thing, you guys are responsible for that! I’m doing it with the Silver Proof Sets, but I wish I had started earlier with the ATB’s.
    Keithster~Did I read that correctly? Your mom’s computer?
    Brad~I have been back and forth on how I feel about what a complete collection of the FS coins would mean, and I think you have an amazing thing going! Although I have no idea what so ever how any of you people can keep it up, Wow!

23. Sith says

@Dustyroads – Have you ever tried to use your parents computer yuck its a mess. Its so bad I’m going to get them a new one for Xmas, but on top of that I will install a wireless router so I don’t have to unplug their system to install my laptop…collecting the set is cool as long as it is not open ended, but saying that I collect silver Koalas. I like you don’t see how anyone can afford to collect the FS coins, I thought about getting one of the “liberty” coins but had no idea it would become part of a collectable subset. I was expecting to still be buying ATBs at $250+ per coin no way I could swing gold.

Dusty,

Well, for me the secret of being able to afford to build complete sets of the First Spouses is that my wife and I are what one of my tax accounting professors at SIU 20 years ago referred to as “DINKS.” He was talking about one of the School of Management professors and his wife being “DINKS”, and I asked him what that meant. He said “double-income, no kids.” 🙂

25. Sith says

My wife and I use to be DINKY “Dual Income, No Kids, Yet,” but that went out the door years ago. Now I’m a SITCOM, “Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage” 🙂

We have a mortgage again as of last December, but it’s not too bad. We’re able to pay extra on it each month and still allow for my gold coin habit!

I kicked the toy habit years ago (Star Wars toys), but I still have a lot of boxes of the unwanted stuff hanging around. I’ll take a bath on it, but at least it will be out of the house! Too bad I didn’t sell it back in the days when everyone wanted it and paid big bucks for it. Now, no one seems to want it.

@Samuel, that is what got me into collecting. I saw Steve McQueen’s last film, The Hunter, where he played a Bounty Hunter and collected old wind up’s and drove that cool old car. After that movie it was over for me, I was hooked, line and sinker…

@Brad, Pawn Stars just bought a bunch of those toy’s on an episode, or was it the guy wanted too much and got turned down?

29. KEITHSTER says

Ya Survivor I like that man if we all traded life’s stories one is I managed to survive Chicago’s Jonh Wanye Gacy in the 70’s not an easy task just look that boy up:( But yup mom’s computer God love her a couple of years ago she fell and broke her hip and had to go to a nursing home back then and up till then it was dail-up try that lately?Then on to assisited living they had a nice computer there when I would visit most days that I could. Me I’ve never own one not even a cell-toy heck last time Ihad a land line was 36 years ago? They just seem to dangerous to me frist thing they check when they want ya? Any way when the assisted living place got most of her life savings she busted out and is now on her own so I stop in and cook for her as often as I can. Man she likes my cooking and I’m glade to see her eat something so while she eats I check out the coin thing . So late post’s it mom’s day post= work puter so ya survivor may we all survive long enough to get what we need:) Good luck all = Sold out

30. Blair J Tobler says

Got a notification of a Federal Register posting – Limited Edition Silver Proof Set will be $139.95; Teddy Roosevelt set will be $57.95.

Keithster~Best wishes to your mom. I hope things go well for you, glad your around, keep posting.
    Brad~I have two wives and a child, or two children and a wife rather, “oops.” I hope she doesn’t read this!

32. Ray says

I like the made to order approach, as opposed to having them available for most of the year. I wonder if it will be a 4 week window? seems like it. I better start squirelling away some funds for this. i’m really looking forward to this release. it will be my first commem purchase.

33. Rick says

2013 United States Mint Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set on backorder? Too good of a deal to keep up? Thanks for the tip Mike!

Ray~Being that men are the core purchasers of Mint products, this sports oriented coin, not to mention it’s uniqueness, should be hot. The limited ordering window is just what this deal needs. I’m now looking forward 2014 for reasons other than because I hate 2013!!

Rick~Don’t let me sway your decision making, but it’s probably because of packaging issues, or some other reason.

36. Wes says

I purchased 1964 set in honor of JFK memory and am looking forward to purchasing the Commemorative set next year.

37. VARich says

Thanks Blair – I’ve only been waiting for that announcement for a few months, I see I need to follow your lead and get an account. Notice to be released on Monday. @ $57.95 this may be promising for the buck.

38. VARich says

Rick – as we’ve learned on the WP ASE…, what’s a month or two off?

As long as we’re in the same fiscal year, I guess we can’t complain! 🙂