Eisenhower Coin & Chronicles Set Goes on Sale August 11

eisen2

The 2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set will go on sale this coming Tuesday, August 11, at noon ET. The set includes an Eisenhower Presidential Silver medal, a 1969 Eisenhower postage stamp, and a Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin that is only available as part of this set.

The coin’s obverse features a portrait of President Eisenhower with DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, IN GOD WE TRUST, 34th PRESIDENT, and the years of his presidency, 1953-1961, inscribed along the edge of the coin. The reverse includes an image of the Statue of Liberty beside the coin’s $1 denomination. The words UNITED STATES OF AMERICA circle along the coin’s outer edge.

The 1 oz. Eisenhower Presidential Medal is struck in 99.9% fine silver and stretches 1.598 inches in diameter. Its obverse shows a rendering of the president in profile, with DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER circling along the edge of the design. The reverse shows a robed personification of Freedom standing atop the dome of the U.S. Capitol. To the right of the figure is a depiction of the Eastern U.S., with a farmer working the image’s foreground and big city buildings rising behind him in the distance. The left side of the design features pioneers driving a stagecoach into the American West.

eisen

Both the coin and the medal were minted in Philadelphia. The set has a purchase limit of two orders per household, and an overall a mintage limit of 17,000.

The popular Presidential Coin & Chronicles sets are almost guaranteed to sell out. At present only the 2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt set can be purchased on the U.S. Mint’s website; as of August 4, it had sold 13,924 of its 20,000 mintage limit.

That set’s successor, the 2015 Harry Truman Coin & Chronicles Set , obliterated the mint’s sales forecast when it sold 16,780 units during its first fifteen minutes of availability. Earlier this week, the mint listed total sales of the set at 16,833—disconcertingly close to its 17,000 mintage limit for collectors hoping to obtain one. The product page for the set lists the Truman set as “currently unavailable,” adding only that “more may be available later.”

After Eisenhower, the John F. Kennedy Coin & Chronicles set is scheduled for release on September 16, and the Lyndon Johnson set will become available sometime in October.

Finally, a note on the 2015 John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set: the set sold 872 units last week, bringing its sales to a total of 17,489 as of Tuesday. The U.S. Mint is currently only accepting back orders for the item, with new inventory expected to become available on Wednesday, September 9.

For more information on Presidential $1 coins and sets, visit the U.S. Mint’s Web page.

Update: Possibly in reaction to the sales disparity between the FDR and Truman Coin & Chronicles sets, the U.S. Mint notes in a press release that “the bureau will re-evaluate the order limit (for the Eisenhower set) over the period this set is available for sale.”

Comments

1. longarm says

@Mike J. says
    “I’m looking forward to buying a HR Liberty Gold for $1,100 soon.”

Maybe goldfish will sell you his.

2. gary says

There is clearly BLOOD IN THE WATER now with the 2015 High Relief gold.
    1. Lots of returns will probably produce negative sales week to week.
    2. Revelation of damaged coins, notably on the coin rims, may be quite pervasive.
    3. Apparently there are tons of slabbed 70 coins selling on Ebay. Will their 70 grade hold with time in light of the many damaged coins showing up?
    4. Ebay auction sales for OGP at mostly bailout prices, $1,500 to $1,650.
    5. Returns to the Mint 7 day window return privilege closing or closed on the first 1-3 days of Mint sales.
    6. All new orders to the Mint will certainly get the returned rejected/damaged coins.

I agree w cagcrisp. I belive there was an investor group of dealers that pooled their money and bought say 25k of them and backed up the truck to try an corner the market on them and then they slowly trickle out product to keep prices high. Could be off on how many were bought but that is the new plan of action of big boys.

Gary,
    You certainly don’t paint a pretty picture with the HR–more of a gloom and doom scenario. I’m beginning to believe that the rim issue is more of the norm rather than the exception for this coin.

I’m beginning to think that because the Mint is pumping out so many products there is little time for true quality control. It’s a veritable candy store for hungry coin collectors who are jumping from one “hot” issue to the next.

6. samuel says

I heard, NGC only grades the “strike” area, not the “rim”. so, no matter what the rim looks like, u still be able to get a 70. I have 70 ATBs, the 4-mm rim have dings on them.

7. gary says

@Hawkster… I feel that it’s not all doom-and-gloom for the 2015 HR gold.
    In the upcoming weeks and months I believe there will be more and better discounts on the coin on Ebay and with Ebay bucks & Bonus bucks the Fleabay bottom-feeders will have a lot to pick & choose from. While I believe they will not show up anything near raw bullion I do expect some buy opportunities will begin showing up at less than Mint buy price on OGP and maybe deeper cuts for the MS69 (considered by many as junk.)

8. gary says

@Samuel… That begs the question, does PCGS consider the rim as part of the coin when assigning their grade of MS70??? It seems ludicrous to me that the rims would not be considered! 70 is SUPPOSED to be eye perfection (I thought anyway!) If PCGS does consider the rims, then with NGC & PCGS we have quite divergent standards!!! The NGC’s might need to be called MS69+ or MS70-! What a toilet this grading of moderns has come to!

9. Coin boy says

I believe most of the orders for these have shipped as an order I placed with a back order date of 10/1 has already shipped. There may be a flood right now but I would think in a week or 2 that will change. Every coin has its share of flippers who buy and then sell on ebay at auction. I believe the kennedy gold cut this number way down though. I could be wrong but I think a lot of people learned their lesson. Even though the premium is high, I think a lot of collectors are buying becaus $1490 sounds cheap compared to what we were buying bullion at just a few years ago. Of course I could be wrong…..

10. cagcrisp says

When the Gold BHOF were for Sale, a Fellow regular blogee set the Standard for Selling the Highest point for the Gold BHOF. 16 months later and another Fellow regular blogee is setting the Standard for the Truman Coin and Chronicles…

11. longarm says

My investment in the Truman CC has turned out quite profitable, after selling one box of five for +$1000, I still have one unopened box of five and one box of 5 that I opened and gave one away.

12. longarm says

The way I get around HH limits is by using my personal account, my dba account and my girlfriend’s account.

13. Joe #2 says

I just spoke with p c g s , And the gentleman told me p c g s grades the (whole ) coin including the rim… The way i see it is this, If p c g s gives the coin(s) a ms-70 with the few folks that are grading them, It is a 70. It’s good enough for me. If we cannot believe ngc or pcgs, Where do we go from here folks????????????????????
    I trust pcgs as i have personally been receiving coins graded by them and have never had an issue by them. I’m not to familiar with n g c, But these are the top 2 grading services imo.

@joe#2: be careful what you are told over the phone. Just an FYI. There are classes to take to LEARN how graders grade a coin. Modern’s are different than classics, MS is different PF, RP is different than gold, silver is different than whatever. What I mean is there are classes offered to learn how to grade for a reason. There are videos online and on NGC, PCGS website showing the dark room with halogen lights these guys sit in all day long. Do your research and on’t rely on a phone call IMHO.

Where do we go from here folks????????????????????

Your own trained eye my friend…IF you must buy from photo’s online, make sure they have a return policy AND you won’t get banned if you DO return a coin, (has happened to me), and they stand behind their ad. Other than that, attend coin shows, clubs, meet others in same hobby. The best you can rely on graders for is authenticating a coin as real. Again, IMHO…

longarm says
    AUGUST 10, 2015 AT 11:05 AM

No ring on it yet? Ah, can’t blame ya…Good luck tomm. There are some who feel taking advantage and taking more than your allotted share of an offering is unethical…IMHO

17. longarm says

Joe #2 says
    ” Where do we go from here folks???????????????????”

My advice, develop your own eye and judge for yourself. Most of my coins are in OGP because I could care less what the TPGs say, the only reason I buy graded coins are for their resell value. But I have raw coins that look better than 69dmpls.

18. longarm says

fmtransmitter says

August 10, 2015 at 12:07 pm

longarm says
    AUGUST 10, 2015 AT 11:05 AM

Well at least I didn’t sell them as soon as I got them and then watched the price double. Only a lamebrain would do that.

19. CasualCollector says

I’m glad to see they modified the wording about the Ike RP — they added “only found in this set!”

I was a little bit worried they might pull a fast one and issue the RP in a different set later this year.

20. Ends in Error says

I’m on my way to the Post Office now, to send my 2 Puppies home to momma.

I had them a week. Now instead of locking them up I’m returning them. Money in my pocket will be more comforting than slip sliding spot locked in a box.

If, like a very recent poster, you know how to get around HH limits on tomorrow’s Ike set, perhaps this Blog site is not the best venue to boast about it.

Yeah… the new privateer isn’t quite as nice as the 1st was. I’ll probably pick up a few of them, but not as impressed with them as I had hoped to be. I did read they had a few false starts on this one, and even had the dies created and used for some test pieces and threw them out – so it could be this is a compromise piece and the next one will be better.

Comment Formatting Options
    The Mint News Blog software allows commenters to utilize a very small subset of the HTML text markup language in order to format their comments.

HTML Entities
    The Mint News Blog software allows HTML Entities to be used freely within comments. Entities allow special characters, symbols and emojis to be inserted into the text of a comment. There are three possible forms:
    &Entity-name; — Note: Entity-name is case-sensitive
    &#Decimal-number;
    &#xHexadecimal-number;
    It is usually easier to find a copy of the symbol somewhere online and just copy/paste it directly into your comment.
    There is one special HTML entity which should be mentioned, the no-break space. It is represented as   and it’s the only way to obtain multiple horizontal spaces in your formatted comment. You just string them together, back-to-back.
    Note: When you type in two hyphens together, --, the software automatically converts them internally to a single —, which is an extra wide hyphen like this: —

HTML Tags
    The following few HTML tags are permitted and most of their options are ignored.

<b>Text to be bolded</b>
    Example: Make this sentnece’s last word bold for <b>emphasis</b>
    Output: Make this sentence’s last word bold for emphasis

<i>Text to be italicized</i>
    Example: Make this sentence’s last word italicized for <i>emphasis</i>
    Output: Make this sentence’s last word italicized for emphasis

Note: bold and italicized can be combined to produce text which is both bold and italicized, for maximum emphasis.

<strike>Text to be struck-though</strike>
    Example: Run a strike-through line through the last word of this <strike>sentence</strike>.
    Output: Run a strike-through line through the last word of this sentence.

<a href="url-address">Text displayed instead of url-address</a>
    Example: Click <a href="http://www.usmint.gov/">here</a> to visit the Mint’s website.
    Output: Click here to visit the Mint’s website.

<blockquote>quoted text</blockquote>
    Example: Here’s exactly what he said:<blockquote>Long quotation, too long; didn’t read.</blockquote>
    Output: Here’s exactly what he said:

Long quotation, too long; didn’t read.

<code>Text to be displayed using a monospace font</code>
    The code tag always starts the text on a new line. It can be combined with the &nbsp; entity to produce a table with columns, but it is a painful process.
    Example: <code><b>Column A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Column B</b>
    01/05/15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$250,002
    01/05/14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$389,251</code>
    Output: Column A   Column B
    01/05/15   $250,002
    01/05/14   $389,251

I’ve almost certainly dropped a less-than sign or a slash and then this comment’s intended format will be all messed up. If so, I will fix it and post again. If, this comment comes out perfectly, you can open a URL directly to it by clicking on the comment’s date at the top, and then bookmark that page

Comment Formatting Options

HTML Entities
    &Entity-name; — Note: Entity-name is case-sensitive
    &#Decimal-number;
    &#xHexadecimal-number;
    There is one special HTML entity which should be mentioned, the no-break space. It is represented as &nbsp; and it’s the only way to obtain multiple horizontal spaces in your formatted comment. You just string them together, back-to-back.
    Note: When you type in two hyphens together, --, the software automatically converts them internally to a single &mdash;, which is an extra wide hyphen like this: —

HTML Tags

<b>Text to be bolded</b>
    Example: Make this sentnece’s last word bold for <b>emphasis</b>
    Output: Make this sentence’s last word bold for emphasis

<i>Text to be italicized</i>
    Example: Make this sentence’s last word italicized for <i>emphasis</i>
    Output: Make this sentence’s last word italicized for emphasis

<strike>Text to be struck-though</strike>
    Output: Run a strike-through line through the last word of this sentence.

<a href="url-address">Text displayed instead of url-address</a>
    Output: Click here to visit the Mint’s website.

<blockquote>quoted text</blockquote>
    Output: Here’s exactly what he said:

Long quotation, too long; didn’t read.

<code>Text to be displayed using a monospace font</code>
    The code tag can be combined with the &nbsp; entity to produce a table with columns, but it is a painful process.
    Example:
    <code><b>Column A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Column B</b>
    01/05/15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$250,002
    01/05/14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$389,251</code>
    Output:
    Column A   Column B
    01/05/15   $250,002
    01/05/14   $389,251

Wow! I almost got that first attempt right. If, this comment comes out perfectly, you can open a URL directly to it by clicking on the comment’s date at the top, and then bookmark that page

25. ike says

Joe#2 says
    What’s the spot under the eagle all about??? sheesh

I think that is on the outside of the slab?

26. gary says

@Joe#2… Checked out that spotted PCGS MS70 you posted on Ebay.
    I guess THAT means is PCGS may grade the WHOLE COIN, INCLUDING ALL RIMS, but they can miss a very obvious toning spot flaw as well! So much for PCGS being a better MS70 standard for the 2015 HR gold!
    I wish you the best Joe#2 when you get your MS Smiles Standish in hand!

27. gary says

I may be wrong but it seems to me that MS70 HR’s are turning out to be very plentiful and may just turn out to a very high population at NGC & PCGS, once the dust settles. Evidently PCGS may turn out to be the best to get since NGC does not grade the rims which on the HR’s is thicker and more prominent than found on most moderns.

Ethical: Being in accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession.

@gayarm: Yes…

29. gary says

I see an Ebay listing closed for 15 OGP @ $29,000.
    THIS guy is smoking his shorts and orbiting around Uranus if he thinks he can wholesale 15 of them for $1,933 EACH in OGP!

30. Darek says

Ike this black spot is on the coin. I had similar spot on my 2008 Unc Buffalo. It was like sand grain and I could feel it when I was trying to remove it. I had to return the entire set for replacement.

31. Tinto says

@gary

Wow a lot of BIN with multiple MS70 coins … MCM has 6 BIN with 10 MS70 HR coins each … and then there’s another seller who’s touting Investor lots .. ..

32. Darek says

Years ago I had to return Unc Lucy Hayes 7 times before I received one which was a keeper. All had rim damage similar to the 2015 HR coin. Proof coins now look like they were sandblasted when you you use 10x loupe. It is very hard to find good quality coin from the US Mint this days.

33. Darek says

My 2015 HS coin is still on backorder. I ordered it 2 minutes after Ikaika and she said her coin was shipped last week. Since people returning their coins I don’t know why my order showing backorder status. Maybe Mint block my account after I called my credit card bank and told them that Mint didn’t returned my money. I have to figure out what’s going on before noon tomorrow.

I still have no idea why people insist on using a 10x lope to look at their coins. Why not get a microscope and go into further detail? If the graders use 5x lopes – your certainly not going to find a whole lot of great coins if your looking that closely for issues. Very few coins will pass scrutiny if you keep upping the requirements beyond even accepted standards.

35. Ends in Error says

Well one Puppie is on the way back to momma Memphis. I decided to keep one because on close examination there were no lines and no rim flaws. I suppose this will be my first ever submission to PCGS.

Funny but this works out exactly as I originally planned. Order 2 , send the best one in for slabbing. Even if these HR’s become just common bullion , this coin will represent my first ever self slabbed Coin. Special to me , even if it’s nothing to anyone else.

🙂

36. Darek says

thePhelps- I got 10x loupe as a free gift when I bought engagement ring for my wife to be long time ago and since then I am using this loupe to inspect all coins. I have some of the coins “sandblasted ” in my collections because to get perfect coin from the Mint is almost impossible. I just saying that US Mint is unable to strike good quality coins like Perth Mint or Polish Mint are doing it.

37. gary says

@thePhelps… Yes 5x loupe is the graders standard. Sure, a 10X can reveal more minute detail but really now, 20X more, etc. You can take it all the way to the atomic/molecular level with a top notch electron microscope too!

38. Joe #2 says

Darek, I have to agree with you my friend. I know personally that Perth Mint is dang proud of there coins and rightfully so. Everything i bought from Perth was perfect. Yes a lot of things do cost more from Perth, But you know you will get the best quality along with perfect shipping materials…

Darek… the mints you mention are great for selling 5,000 coins. If they can’t inspect 5,000 coins and hand out great coins they have issues. Most US mint offerings are far in excess of 5,000 to 7,000 and the production process is geared toward that. Expecting every coin to pass a 10x lope is hardly a fair standard. I think the term impossible is actually quite a misnomer since all the MS/PF 70 coins being sold today proves that to be quite wrong.

Perhaps we need a MS/PF 71 because coins look good at 10x and MS/PF 72 when coins look good at 20x…etc…

It is true the USM produces more coins, but remember Perth also makes bullion coins that have mintages between 300K and several million, and those tend be almost flawless too. Our ASE’s have gotten better for sure in recent years, but their bullion coins and proof coins are the highest quality in my view. And no one does HR/UHR as well too apart from the Mint of Poland.

42. A different Jeff says

Regarding the spot on the eagle reverse Joe #2 cited –
    I was at the September Long Beach show last year and sat in with a ‘meet the graders’ PCGS walkup where they were doing a quick non-binding look one or two coins per person. I had my 2000 Library of Congress eagle, which to my eye using 10x loupe, look like it should be MS70. He said it would except for a couple of small spots on the platinum portion on the reverse. If that is truly a spot on the HR coin, it is much more noticeable than the ones on my coin. I’m losing confidence in TPGs.

43. John Q. Coinage says

I almost barfed when I heard the HSN coin guy bragging he had sent in 2,500 rev. proof Truman$ for slabbing – 1/4 of the mintage almost he cackled from cornering the market- or as most he could, and offering the sets (ANACS 70) for a paltry $2,000. GREAT somebody will buy & get burned & hate coins & never collect, that is the HSN creed & effect…kills collectors & dealers as well….

44. JBK says

The US Mint produces BILLIONS of coins a year. No one else comes close. The production of circulating coinage is still their main focus/role. The explosion of collector coins mandated by Congress had put a huge burden on them. I for one think they do pretty well. The other mints that have been mentioned are largely in business to make money off collectors, so their focus is different. Also, I do not consider a coin with flaws that can only be seen at 10x to be imperfect.

45. A different Jeff says

I was reflecting on the comments about the rim damage seen on many of these coins and started thinking about the metallurgy underlying the manufacturing process. It looks like there are a number of coins which show a progressive increase in the size of the (for lack of a better descriptor) divots on the rims. I’m wondering if this could be traced to something on the die which, as the gold melts during the strike, causes a small amount to adhere to the die, and which then becomes part of the die and produces the damaged area. As more strikes are made, the amount of foreign matter adhering becomes greater and greater, thus causing the progressive damage.
    I mention this because I ordered 3 sets of the Kennedy silver sets last year. All 3 sets had reverse proofs which showed small voids in the upper right of the shield on the reverse. It looked as though during the strike, a small amount of the silver had separated from the coin and became part of the die. The three coins showed a progressive increase in the amount of missing metal; while very minor and not easily discernible without magnification they did go back and my replacements are perfect. This seems very similar to the pictures showing rim damage.
    Of particular note is that the Kennedys, like the HR coins, were struck at West Point. Maybe there is a general degradation of quality control at the WP mint.

46. Joe #2 says

A proof or mint state coin ( Silver…gold or platinum ) with even the slightest tiny spot which you could only see with a telescope is UNACCEPTABLE to me.. Especially on the HR gold lib. Many many spots on the 2009 UHR as well.. Nice folks thats answer the phone at the U S Mint, But there products are lousy ( 98% of them ). I’m passing on IKE.. Spots on those also guaranteed.

Imagine my surprise when I got home tonight…Your U.S. Mint web order has shipped!

So I am wondering what the heck can that be? American $1 Coin and Currency Set

Ok… this has to be in the running for last minted label or something… I placed that order on 12/14/14 and it has been sitting in back order status since then. 🙂

I use a 10x loupe for my satisfaction. I’m not too bothered by what the TPG’s use or not. I also have a Dinolite digital microscope for further inspections and photography. Wish there were an easy way to display a photo (embedded) in the comments. I’d like to share what a nice HR looks like, without the issues many seem to have here.

49. ike says

I jut wanted to say with my HR Liberty coin rim damage I could see it with my naked eye. Also not only was their rim flaws, but extra gold deposited near one part of the incomplete rim.

50. Darek says

How much you have to pay for 2014 American Coin and Currency set on Ebay if you were late last year?

VA Bob… I think the point is – if you want to view the coin at 10x don’t be surprised to see flaws you can’t see at 5x. Also don’t be surprised that the flaws you see at 10x would still be there on you MS/PF70 coin. That said, you also can’t really give the mint grief over your 10x magnification inspection of your coin if you see flaws at that level not seen with the naked eye and 5x inspection. Somewhere in there you just have to say enough is enough…

I’ll see what I get for the C&C… be interesting to see if it is a quality set…

52. I started collecting yesterday says

I checked my user ID and password at the mint web site and all is good. Last time I almost missed Truman by 2 minutes but thank goodness I was able to get my sets. See you all tomorrow at the stampede.

thePhelps – If someone picked up a coin and looked at it with a 10x loupe, they might be surprised, but if one was doing it for years on end, and had a rudimentary idea of how metal flows under great pressure, by seeing it again and again, they would see it in a different light. People selling probably couldn’t care less as long as it’s good to the naked eye.

Good luck with the Amer C&C. I don’t believe a one was returned so you should be good.

54. Boz says

Seems like we need some more numbers added to the top of the grading scale for the loopers amongst us. How about 80 for the top scale so that the obsessive compulsive will have more wiggle room? Poor me, still harboring the 1960’s fantasy that “uncirculated” was as good as it got.

55. Jayarejr says

Put order in for two Eisenhower C&C at 12:06…only a couple of glitches on the system, not bad. Order #USM034XXXX.

56. I started collecting yesterday says

For the first time, I experienced a hiccup with the web site and the page said “Page cannot be displayed” while trying to check-out at 12:03. I opened at new browser at 12:04 and started over again with success. Seems to currently unavailable already at 12:11.

57. george glazener says

I think I was checked out by 12:02, took 1 or 2 “refresh” to get it done, but otherwise quite easy. Lucky to have a fast server

58. Natatack says

Tried ordering, got held up at checkout 2-3 times with error message, and at 9:18am “Sorry item no longer avalible, a bust for me, hope you guys and gals did better.

59. MLA says

was on at 5 till, got AX2 in bag, would not let me place order, refreshed many times, finally came up tried to check out froze, kicked me off, then back up wanted my cc info and shipping info entered then tried to check out again! Told item out on stock,…………… Didn’t get, good luck to those that did.

60. VABeachEd says

I had about 4 or 5 glitches, I had 4 in my cart and had a hard time changing it to 2 in my cart (refreshing), then wanted CC info which was already stored with 2 CC’s. It took me between 4 to 5 minutes, but got my two sets # 034458XX. Checked page again and it said “Remind Me” and on another page “Currently Unavailable”.