Everglades National Park Quarter Three Coin Set

Today, November 18, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began accepting orders for the America the Beautiful Quarters Three Coin Set featuring the Everglades National Park Quarter.

Everglades Three Coin Set

The Everglades Quarter was first released into circulation on November 6, 2014 and on the same day the US Mint began accepting orders for circulating quality versions of the coin in bags and rolls. Uncirculated and proof quality coins have previously been released within annual set products. An official launch ceremony for the coin will be held on December 4, 2014 at Harris Field Park Pavilion.

The reverse design of the coin carries the image of an anhinga with outstretched wings on a willow tree with a roseate spoonbill visible in the mid-ground. This was designed by Joel Iskowitz and engraved by Joseph Menna. The obverse design carries the 1932 portrait of George Washington designed by John Flanagan.

Each three coin set contains one uncirculated example of the quarter from the Philadelphia Mint, one uncirculated example from the Denver Mint, and one proof example from the San Francisco Mint. These three coins are mounted on a durable plastic card containing an illustration from the park on the front and issuance information on the page.

The price for each set is $9.95. There is no stated product limit or household ordering limit imposed.

Previously released America the Beautiful Quarter Three Coin Sets for this year have seen sales of 16,557 (Great Smoky Mountains), 14,582 (Shenandoah), 12,618 (Arches), and 10,990 (Great Sand Dunes).

US Mint Wins COTY Award

rushmoreTo follow up on a previous post, the United States Mint has won a Coin of the Year Award for the 2013 Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarter in the category of Best Circulating Coin. Over on Mint News Blog, I have just written an article showcasing all of the  ten category winners.

The US Mint had two 2013-dated coins nominated. Besides the winning coin, the 2013 Enhanced Uncirculated Silver Eagle had also been nominated in the category of Best Silver Coin, but it did not win the award.

This is the first time the US Mint has won a COTY award since 2010, when they won in the category of Most Popular Coin for the 2008 American Silver Eagle.

Comments

Regarding a price reduction…the Mint is very slow in responding to changes in silver spot. I too am an accountant with a minor in statistics, but while I haven’t contributed much to the analyitical discusion, I enjoy the analysis by you guys. I think Eagle One asked someone to comment as to why the Mint has not lowered the price on silver products…well, I can only say, they are consistant at being inconsistant.
    I don’t care to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the Mint’s mindset, but I did go back and review my 2010 ATB “P” purchases and silver spot. The Hot Springs went on sell 4-28-11 at $280 and spot silver was $48.70. When Yellowstone went on sale on 5/17/11 for also $280. spot silver was $34.28…so over a $70 spot difference, but no change from the mint. Well, this is just an example of how slow the Mint is in adjusting silver prices. One could go on and on and and show every Mint price & spot silver at the time, but I’ll leave that to somone else. However, when the price of the bulllion coin is what is is now (160 with shipping) vs 110-115, and mintages not that far apart, I think the choose is clear).

Of course, one thing I always wonder is if the buyers of the ATB’s are like the buyers of the First Spouse Gold coins….both have relative low mintages for their respective series, but seem to attract very little interest. And I will say, imo, the Mint has done a sorry job of promoting the both series . So like with both series, us collectors/invrstors are always telling ourselves…once the public becomes aware of these, these will catch fire at such low mintages…..who really knows? Time will tell…..but I will always be happy with the ATB’s in my collection.

In the inimitable words of Bart Simpson ( a true poet if there ever was one) : “Ay Caramba!” Or Dorothy, we are not in Kansas anymore.

3. Jon in CT says

According to this Post:

I’m a little familiar with Harris Field in Homestead. I grew up just a few miles north. My earliest memory as a child about Harris field was attending the exhibition game when the Cardinals played the then world champion Pirates in the first exhibition game there involving two major league teams. The year earlier, I had been tracking the path of Hurricane Donna with my maps and had been closely tracking the Mantle/Maris home run contest daily in the Miami News (an afternoon newspaper I delivered). I was very disappointed when the Pirates’ Bill Mazeroski hit a home run in the 9th to win game 7 of the ’60 World Series. It was the first and only “walk off home run” in the 7th game of a world series, even though “walk off: had not yet been invented back then.

Here’s a copy of a Cardinals brochure, ca. 1960:

My Dad worked at the “SAC Base” which was then Homestead Air Force Base, Strategic Air Command. It subsequently became a TAC base and was later flattened by Hurricane Andrew.

Jon in CT- You must be older than I thought. I was not even born in 1960 though my older, now deceased brother was. Cool story.

5. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- I have actually done some light dredging and sluicing in small streams and creeks around my area in the past and have also am quite proficient, yet deliberate, in panning by hand. I once on a boy scout camping outing took one half on my mess kit and found an area in a creek that look like a natural sluice box and dug up a pan full of dirt out of the creek and found a nugget about the size of a bird shot. My 12 year old friends were amazed, and I was too, as I was just bored and messing around. My state is not a big gold producing state, but you never know where it might turn up.

@Jon- you are a real person after all, you have quite a detailed memory, thanks for the story!

6. Jon in CT says

The Mint has invited everyone and has said:

Do you have coin-related topics to discuss? Join us for our next coin forum being held at the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center in Homestead, FL on December 3 at 6:30 P.M.

What questions would you ask or what would you complain about? I might possibly be able to relay your responses directly to the Mint’s minion who shows up in Homestead, having won the Mint’s employee-of-the-month prize (a free trip to Miami),

7. jhawk92 says

Completely OT, I am seriously thinking of picking up a gold Kennedy with the current pricing. But I’m torn whether to get it direct from the mint or pick one up from the Bay. I saw a PCGS Pr 69 with OGP sell recently for $980 which was amazing. That may have been an anomaly but I would like to get the read from folks here who have been tracking auctions. Is it worth chasing auctions for several days in the attempt to get one $100 or so cheaper than the mint price? Or will it be better to buy straight from the source? My thoughts are to have it as the basis of a “special” set including the 2009 UHR and any others the mint offers down the road. Thanks for any input you might have.

8. Bob R says

@jhawk92, Shocker here, pick up the graded 69 OGP and remove it from the PCGS holder, put it back to original.

9. jhawk92 says

Bob R- good basketball for sure. That’s kind of what I was thinking…go get a PR69 and place back into the OGP. I guess I will start keeping an eye out for true auctions and see how I can do. Would be great to find one with OGP included, I try to avoid graded moderns with the exception of the DMPL bullion pucks I’m working. Have to research what the 69’s have been going for. Thanks!

Doesn’t matter whether you buy the enhanced graded or raw. That’s how they look. That is the effect of the laser etching. We have been over this many times.

11. cagcrisp says

@jhawk92, “I saw a PCGS Pr 69 with OGP sell recently for $980 which was amazing. That may have been an anomaly but I would like to get the read from folks here who have been tracking auctions. ”

On a Daily basis I have tracked every sale of Gold Kennedy Under $1,700.00. $980.00 for a True auction is an anomaly. I guess it Depends on how much you Value your time and effort. I have tracked 1078 Gold Kennedy’s and Only 5 have been Sold for Under $1,000.00 that are True auctions.

Of the 5 True auctions, 1 was listed as “damaged scruffy”, 3 were 69’s, and 1 was listed as “worst known” an actual PF64…

SO………..There have been 3 True auctions for 69’s out of 1,078 that I have tracked…

12. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Jon – good to see you loosening up a bit.
    This dawned on me some time ago, I could sit down with about two dozen of our fellow posters out here & tell them what they collect and why. In two years, you have not revealed one iota about what what you buy, collect & why, do share, I suspect it’ll have an investment aspect as well.

13. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – Great stuff, I bet that was fun! In the last year, some kid found like a 13 kt diamond at that NP in Arkansas, if I lived near there I’d have a RV & camped out! There’s a hotspot near me for Megalodon teeth that I want to search out though it helps when a big storm passes through which we haven’t had this year. Have you seen what those things sell for? Crazy!

14. Tom P - MA says

I will disagree with Steve at the top of this page on one point, I do not compare the ATB pucks with the first spouse series.

Due to a ridiculous price of $105 for the GSD bullion issue a few days ago, I bought my first puck. I followed it up by my first purchase of the P Everglades issue because I think it will be one of the more sought after in a few years. $300 each 5x per year was a bit much for my budget. back then and now.

First Spouse coins to me are still out of reach and pretty far down on my list. I would still buy a half ounce eagle, maple leaf, or libertad before a first spouse.

15. Jerry Diekmann says

I don’t collect ATB pucks in bullion or proof, but I was wondering how collectors who have purchased these coins have done since the first ones were issued in 2010 – we’re now halfway through the program. For the collectors who have held on to the coins, have they made a profit comparexd to their purchase prices or are they under water? One thing that I think may dampen enthusiasm for the last run of these coins is that all the well known parks have now been issued – there are very few well known places left to be minted in the following five years. The lower mintages of the 2010 to 2012 coins was because of the high silver prices, or I think many more of them would have sold, IMO.

16. Pool Shark says

Jerry,

I have collected the bullion coins solely; though I have accumulated them in both raw form (for bullion purposes) as well as PCGS graded MS69-DMPL’s (for numismatics).

As far as my bullion Atb purchases (which began in 2011 when the price of silver was more than double what it is now) I am somewhat underwater. However, I am doing much better than if I had purchased Silver Eagles instead. Many of the issues that I bought for around $3.50/ounce over melt are now worth double, or even triple melt. For instance, my Acadias and Hawaii Volcanoes are worth between $300 and $400 each.

Interestingly, the 2014 Arches that I bought just 5 months ago for about $114 each are now selling at APMEX for $192 since the sellout at the Mint.

While I purchase raw Atb’s for their bullion value, the potential for numismatic/collector appreciation is considerable, and makes them a no-brainer when compared to Silver Eagles.

As for my PCGS graded Atb’s; they have pretty well held their value; I’d say I’m ahead on my investment despite the huge drop in the price of silver. Some of the MS69-DMPL’s (like the 2012’s) have exploded in value, while most others have slipped a bit.

Overall, I’m probably just below even when my raw and graded Atb’s are combined.

I will actually be in Central Florida (Cape Canaveral) at the end of this month and most of December. And I have a brother who still lives in SW Miami. Maybe I might drive the 235 miles down to Homestead to attend the Mint’s Coin Forum on Dec 3 at the Everglades Visitor Center at the east park entrance.All things considered I can say that I’m much better off than if I’d simply been stacking Silver Eagles…