Favorite Modern Commemorative Coin Designs

As a change of pace, I wanted to take a post to look at some of my favorite modern commemorative coin designs. Each of the coins highlighted below are beautiful in their own respect, but also include some specific aspects that make them worthy of discussion.

The coins include only modern commemorative coin issues. This does not include First Spouse Gold Coins or American Platinum Eagle reverse designs. I am also not including designs that were previously used on other U.S. coins (i.e. the 2001 American Buffalo Silver Dollar).

1988 Olympics $5 Gold Coin Obverse

Over the years, the US Mint has issued many commemorative coins for the Olympic Games, reaching its peak with the issuance of sixteen different designs for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. For the most part, the designs have featured depictions of athletes.

The obverse of the 1988 Olympic $5 Gold Coin, designed by Elizabeth Jones, took a different approach. The design features Nike, the goddess of victory, wearing a crown of olive leaves. The classical depiction is relatively uncluttered by the copious inscriptions that are required to be included on most commemorative coins. The word LIBERTY crosses Nike’s neck and inscription IN GOD WE TRUST is placed on a ribbon intertwined with the crown. These placements allow the portrait to have a wider canvas and carry a greater impression.

1994 Prisoner of War Silver Dollar Obverse

Some US Mint coin designs or design candidates have been criticized for taking a literal approach to the subject, rather than utilizing symbolism, which can be much more powerful.

The 1994 Prisoner of War Silver Dollar obverse was designed by Tom Neilson, who was a decorated former prisoner of war employed by the Bureau of Veterans Affairs. The design depicts a bald eagle with a broken chain on one leg, flying through a ring of barbed wire to represent freedom.

1999 George Washington $5 Gold Coin

The design for this coin is by Laura Gardin Fraser (1889-1966), the wife of James Earle Fraser (designer of the Buffalo Nickel). During her life, Laura Gardin Fraser designed several early commemorative coins including the 1922 Grant Memorial Half Dollar, 1921 Alabama Half Dollar, and the Oregon Trail Half Dollar (together with her husband).

She had created this design of George Washington and a bald eagle for use on the 1932 Washington Quarter. From more than 100 different models submitted by 98 sculptors, this design was selected by a bicentennial committee, the Commission of Fine Arts, and the Treasury Department. However, the design was rejected by the Secretary of the Treasury, some have suggested because he did not want to have a woman design the new quarter.

More than 60 years later, the US Mint used this design for the 1999 George Washington $5 Gold Coin. Throughout history, there must be countless designs created for US coins that were not used. From time to time, it might be appropriate to resurrect one of these unused designs for contemporary use.

2000 Leif Ericson Silver Dollar Obverse

This coin was issued to mark the 1,000th anniversary of Leif Ericson’s discovery of the New World. The obverse design is by John Mercanti and features a portrait of Leif Ericson in traditional Icelandic style.

I like the idea of using a style that conveys something about the subject matter being depicted. I have seen this approach utilized for some world coins, but for the most part not on any U.S. commemorative coins.

2005 Marine Corps Silver Dollar

This coin featured the famous scene of Marines raising an American flag over Iwo Jima that was photographed by Joe Rosenthal. The scene was modeled for the coin by Norman E. Nemeth.

Using an iconic scene that will be recognized by most Americans was clearly a winning approach. The coins managed to sell out of the maximum authorized mintage of 600,000. I suspect a good portion of the coins were purchased by non-coin collectors on the basis of the design. Future commemorative coin programs could take a lesson from this.

2011 Medal of Honor $5 Gold Obverse

This is the reverse design for the recently issued 2011 Medal of Honor $5 Gold Coin designed by Joel Iskowitz. It presents a stunning depiction of Minerva, who appeared on the central image of the original Medal of Honor. She carries a union shield and flag with munitions and a cannon in the background. Despite the many elements included, the design remains well balanced and effective. It would have been great to see this design on a larger sized coin.

Readers: Please feel free to share your own favorite modern commemorative coins in the comments.

Comments

1. Brian says

Thank you so much, whoever you are, wizard of the Mint News Blog! I’ve been waiting for a post just like this! I started collecting the uncirculated $5 gold modern commemoratives several years ago and have been able to acquire a dozen or so to date. I think many of the designs are truly beautiful and often the $5 design is more elegant than any accompanying dollar or half, which I think is appropriate.

Some of my favorites would have to be the very first two issues.

The 1986 Statue of Liberty

The 1987 Constitution

I think the designs on both of these are so incredibly bold, and even reminiscent of the often discussed golden age of US coinage! In my opinion, the 1987 coin almost has a high relief quality to it. I agree the 1988 Olympic gold was also a fantastic design. But beginning in 1989, several of the $5 gold designs were really underwhelming. It is nice to see the Minerva design of the 2011 MOH capture some of the boldness and beauty of the early few in the series, although I think the design could have somehow “popped” a little more, maybe filling more of the field with more detail.

I personally also like the 2002 Olympic Salt Lake City $5 gold, with its modern feel.

I think it is even undervalued somewhat considering its relative mintage of only 10,585 (uncirculated) as compared to a couple of other issues of higher mintage that currently sell for more.

I really would have liked to see the design chosen for the 2012 Star-Spangled silver dollar on the $5 gold instead, as I think that design is far more appealing than the one selected for the $5 gold.

Thanks again for the post. I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on the designs of this series!

2. Rick says

WOW, I really like that 1st one, and the 2nd one is inspiring, you can almost feel what the Eagle(or a POW) is feeling at that moment.
    You’ve got a great eye.

3. ChosenReject says

The writer of this article should be the mint director. Maybe then we will get designs worth buying!

4. jeff says

These are great US designs…..would like to see your site expand to include “other” World Commemorative designs rated as: Lowest Mintage, 10 Most collectible Silver/Gold commems, Coin-of-the-Year nominees. etc.

There just does not seem to be a quality site that encompasses the world spectrum of commemorative issues, their relevance, their designs etc.

I have just started looking at what other nations are minting and have been quite surprised. A good example is the 2012 Nation of Niue 100th anniversary of the Titanic -WOW what a coin set -best I’ve seen for the 100th anniversary issue.

Nice post, Michael. Why haven’t they put you on the CFA or CCAC yet?

On the coins you posted, I have never seen the 1988 Olympics gold coin or the 1994 Prisoner of War silver dollar before. I think I might poke around and see if I cannot find someplace to buy the PoW coin. I’d buy the olympics coin too, but I suspect it will be out of my price range, sad to say.

Of the modern commems, I have to say that I like the MoH the most. I really like the “classic” feel the coin has and thought it was one Iskowitz’s best (which makes me wonder how on earth he managed to do so poorly with the infantry coin).

In addition the gold MoH, I also really like the 2008 bald eagle silver coin: http://coins.silvercoinstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Proof-2008-Bald-Eagle-Silver-Dollar-Commemorative-Coin.jpg

I also have a fondness for the 1997 Jackie Robinson coin, though I’m not sure anyone else will agree with me.

6. simon says

CO – I was a proud purchaser of the 4-Coin Jackie Robinson Set and it remains my most favorite to this day. I also like the RFK coin set, and the Constitution gold. The Eagle on it is just outstanding! My other favorites are the FDR and Washington golds as well as the Jefferson dollar which artistically captures his personality and demeanor very very well.

7. simon says

I forgot to mention that I am also one of 150 original owners of the 32-coin 1995-96 Olympics sets.

8. SmallPotatos says

Great article Michael!

I have been collecting since 2000, with most my purchases being modern commemeratives from the mint. i have made some purchases for older commem’s from dealers, mostly for either designs i like, or for coins that honor our veterans and their sacrifice for our liberty and freedom.

For a symbolic design that i like, but that hasn’t been previously mentioned ( which i would have, but Brian beat me to them!! ) is the 1996 Smithsonian Dollar Reverse by Mercanti:

I like the sense depth that it evokes, and just has a nice, balanced feel to it.

Simon,

Glad to find another Jackie Robinson coin fan! I should have thought to mention the RFK set too. While I thought the RFK commemorative was nice, I really liked the Kennedy matte proof included with it. I’m sorry I wasn’t collecting when those were released. I’m a big fan of the Kennedy half dollar series and have spent quite a bit trying to assemble a nice album of the coins.

I’m not sure whether the Kennedy matte “counts” as a commemorative though.

Samuel,

I wouldn’t say the art’s getting worse year by year. Artistically, we had a very good year in 2011 overall, I thought, with the beautiful platinum eagle and gold MoH designs. We also had some very nice AtB designs too, especially Chickasaw and Vicksburg. It would be nice to see some consistency, though, and perhaps some new techniques like they use in Perth or Canada.

10. Frank says

I feel so lucky that I ordered my remaining 3 2011 AtB 5 Ozers yesterday! They are now off-line for repricing at US Mint.

11. Frank says

The 2011 ASE UNC is also under repricing. 2012 Infantry Comm and all the silver annual sets are still on sale.

12. Tom says

I think the Franklin and Comunity service Obverse,
    and the Lewis and Clark proof Reverse are really
    excellent designs as well!
    (Statue of Liberty Proof Front is also still pretty Great
    and just about anyone can get one for a good value)

13. Matt says

Great post! 100% agree with the designs you chose, and I also like the coins listed in the comments by Brian. I guess I need to consider colleting the $5 gold, since this is where the usmint buries most of their good designs?

Matt,

I have noticed there are a lot of good, if obscure, designs in the gold commemoratives. I have seen the Statue of Liberty commemorative Brian listed, but not the constitution one. This post is making me want to rush out to EBay and start price-browsing.

You might want to look at the recent platinum eagle series for some more good designs too.

15. Silver Surfing Scott says

I AGREE! These are Beautiful Commemorative Coins.
    I wish the U.S. MINT would put more out like These!

16. DCDave says

My favoirte two modern commems are:

1-Medal of Honor gold proof.

2-2006 San Francisco Old Mint Silver Dollar Commemorative with the Morgan Dollar Eagle reverse. Super cool looking coin.

17. SliderMaker-mp says

The 2000 Leif Ericson is a double winner, imho. The Norse Longship on the reverse makes this one of my Fav’s too. The 2008 Soaring Silver Bald Eagle and (of course) the 2001 Silver Buffalo are also way up there, in my book.

The gold 1995 $5 Civ War and the 2011 $5 MOH are ‘doubles’ too, with both obverse & reverse making it tough to decide which side to face forward when sliding them in the album…ha!

18. Ikaika says

The Medal of Honor is indeed a beautiful coin. I wish the Mint would have made at least a $10 or $25 version so we could all appreciate the design. I passed on it because I felt is was too small.

19. Matt L. DeTectre says

These are some classic commem designs discussed in this article. I am particulary fond of the Geo. Washington and the POW commem. The POW commem has wonderful symbolism. Haven’t been a commem collector but this artiticle makes a case for it. Good design is good design no matter what type of coin it is on.

20. ClevelandRocks says

I like the reverse of the San Fran Mint too.
    Any guess for the new ATB pricing?
    Think the ATBs will be off sale for moreb than a week?
    Think they will have a silver grid?

21. DCDave says

I’m thinking pricing grid for both the ATBs and the UNC ASE.
    That’s kind of what they did for the MOH gold after the fact.

22. Tom Dvorak says

Michael:

This is a great post and let me add that you are doing a terrific job keeping all of us posted on what is going on at the US Mint!

I think the Modern Commemorative series, which is held in disdain by many collectors, is actually a wonderful series and represents the most interesting collectible series in modern US coinage. Like the Classic Commemoratives (1892 – 1954), there are some winners and losers, some beauties and some real dogs. But, along with the stories behind the coins, that is what makes commemorative collecting interesting. Also, the Modern Commemoratives are very affordable and widely available in high grades. Even the gold series represents a relative bargain when compared to the very small mintages of some issues.

Favorites: I will just mention a few, starting with the Half Dollars. Another comment mentioned that the good designs seem to go to the gold issues — on this I would agree, but I would add that the bad designs seem to get dumped on the half dollars. Few of these are exceptional, but I really like the 2003 First Flight Centennial half dollar, this is just a great design and really stands out in comparison to the other halves.

On the Silver dollars, I always liked the 1984 LA Olympics Dollar — this is the one with the view of the stadium. This coin was disliked by many, but I always thought it was great.

The 1989D Congress Bicentennial Dollar has a great depiction of the Statue of Freedom (from the top of the Capitol Dome) which I have always liked.

I thought both of the 2006 Franklin Dollars were absolutely excellent in all respects.

And, the 2007 Little Rock Desegregation Dollar and Jamestown 400th Anniversary Dollar were both very well done.

As for gold, well, most of my favorites were also mentioned (1986 Statue of Liberty — a true classic design — 1987 Constitution — 1988 Olympics — 1999 Washington — 2002 Salt Lake Olympics), but I would particularly add the 2000 Library of Congress $10 Gold/Platinum — a beautiful coin! And, as well, the 1991 Mount Rushmore Gold (Obverse especially) and the 1992 Columbus Quincentenary $5.

Look these up in the Red Book! They are great coins and, at its best, the Modern Series does hold up pretty well to the Classic Series which had it’s beauties like the Oregons and Grants but also some super-dogs (Hudson, Spanish Trail).

23. Broooster says

Do some of you guys not own a REDBOOK?? Each of the above designs are in there. I myself get plenty of idea’s of what to try to get next. I really like the 1987 $5 gold, witht the Eagle holding the quill pen. Wish it was bigger, a lot of detail on such a small coin.

I like the designs on most of the coins that Michael showcased in this article. It seems that the US Mint saves the best designs for its gold coins. There are exceptions in my opinion though.

I would add the following:

2012 Star Spangled Banner $1 Silver coin
    2008 Bald Eagle $5 gold coin
    1986 Statue of Liberty $5 gold coin

@DCDAVE
    I don’t think the Mint will implement a pricing grid for silver products. It sounds good in theory, but doesn’t seem very practical. For example, the gold grid currently changes prices when spot gold moves about 2.8% ($50/$1775). If a silver grid were implemented, at what % change in spot should it trigger a move on the grid? 3%, 5%??…

Instead of a grid, I would like to see the mint sell ALL their gold, silver and platnum products at a fixed $ amount over spot and then adjust the prices continuously throughout the day as the spot price changes. If other companies like APMEX, Gainesville, Provident, etc can do this, why can’t the mint? This would do away with $50 gold & $100 platnum jumps and whatever the silver changes may be.

26. Rick says

I agree Steve, that way your satisfied with your purchase for the day, however if the mint had that system in place during 2008 we would not have those very low mintages for the ’08-W Buffs that seemed so highly priced during the dip. I’ve noticed that APX will raise the premium over spot if it dips too much. Just my 2 cents

27. ClevelandRocks says

I’m now thinking that the ATB sales are somewhat independant of pricing.
    The low premium recently has not given dramatic sales increases.
    I wonder if raising prices even to $279 would make sales much different?
    I think some folks will buy or not buy the ATBs no matter what the price (within reason).

A bit surprised no one else besides DC Dave has the San Fran Mint as a fav.

28. Tom says

The wildest design is the Congress dollar obverse.
    Imagine if that were to like come true.
    Look its moving…Its Alive…

Chosen,

My friend is also a fan of the Franklin commemoratives and recently bought one.

Cleveland,

I was never much of a fan of the Gobrecht/Morgan eagles. My favorite silver dollar was always the peace dollar. I like the concept of the San Fran coins, though, and had I been buying coins in 2006 I would have certainly snapped both of them up.

Fortunately for the collector (no so fortunate for the investor) the Mint made plenty of the modern commems, with a few exceptions, ensuring relative easy availability for anyone that wants them.

The same thing happened with the classic commems, and many of those can still be had at reasonable prices.

My concern is the recent trend to commemorate something on almost every circulating coin, diminishes the impact. I’m referring to State Quarters, ATB Quarters, Presidential and Native American dollars, not to mention the recent Lincoln cents and Lewis and Clark nickels. Now I’m not against these, just wish they were a separate, special offering. I know there are some folks here that would like all our coinage to change design every year, but there was something to be said about the stability (real or perceived) we had with less frequent design changes. Most Americans don’t even know what their coinage looks like today, nor do they care. Anyone that can look at our coins and appreciate them for their art, beyond their monetary value, is probably a collector anyway.

Of the coins Michael has shown, I have all but the 1988 Olympic coin (which is nice, not Lady Liberty but I sure wish we could drop the dead presidents and get back to her). I’d have to say my favorite is the eaglets 50 cent (since the 2001 Buff was disqualified).

31. Tom Dvorak says

OSB:

The “bill set” is referred to in the Red Book as the 2001 American Buffalo “Coinage and Currency” set. It includes “Uncirculated American Buffalo silver dollar, face reprint of 1899 $5 Indian Chief Silver Certificate, 1987 Chief Red Cloud 10c stamp, 2001 Bison 21c stamp.” This was a nice set and pretty popular — comparable, I suppose, to the 2012 Defenders of Freedom folder set.

32. Shutter says

I’ve been wondering who that dude was. My money was on Christopher Columbus or Prince Valiant.

33. Shutter says

How about a compromise. Don’t change them every year, but more frequently than every 50. Aside from halfs and dollars (which nobody uses) all the portraits on our circulating coins are older than 60 y.o.. Also, how about issuing some commemorative coins for circulation. Not like state and ATB quarters with 5 new designs a year for 20 years, but every few years or so. Like 2009 Lincoln cents. A good opportunity is coming up. Produce a March of Dimes silver dollar, but also a dime in clad and silver. And sure, keep FDR on it, but how about a new portrait?

34. ChosenReject says

id rather FDR not be on it tbh. just put liberty on it or maybe something that symbolizes “charity” as a homage to the march of dimes. but save me from having to look at dead political figures, right or left

35. SmallPotatos says

“What? Nobody listed the 1995 Special Olympic coin featuring Eunice Kennedy Shriver as their favorite?”

That was the first commemorative that my dad gave me. I wondered why he didn’t want it? hmmm…..

Shutter – I agree with your compromise. How about the Mint releases the clad commems that don’t sell to collectors, into the wild. That would mean the Mint would have to step up their game to get collectors to buy (that means some nice informative packaging, with extras like coin and currency sets). Since half dollars don’t circulate, why not put the art on these, large canvases. I could only increase interest and be good for both the mint and the collector. People might want them in their change too.

I really want the presidents gone from circulating coinage. I know Washington would have hated the “honor”, as it is too reminiscent of royalty. We can honor presidents on commems. A return to liberty and Native Americans is all we need on our day to day coinage. The president’s on the coins is just political wrangling by congress to keep or change. If it’s Liberty or a NA they won’t care so much and stay out of it.

37. Brian says

VA Bob –

Your comment about ditching the dead presidents from our coinage is right on. Thank you – I totally agree. I think there might be room for other images beyond just liberty and Native America. Does anyone have any good thoughts on that? I’ve really liked many of the recent changing reverse proof platinum coins, like the series with symbolic representations of our branches of government, etc.

38. Shutter says

ChosenReject,

It’s more appropriate for FDR to be on a March of Dimes coin, than almost any other. He was, after all its founder. Also, it’s more appropriate for a dead person to be on a coin than a living one (e.g. Eunice Shriver).

39. Shutter says

There are plenty of symbols, buildings, and events. As the mint is ramping up its design department, it would be nice if the congress gave the mint freer hand in coin metal composition and designs. And no, I don’t want coinage to look like it was designed during Cleveland administration, so I take a pass on all those Liberty and Indian heads. I’m also not a fan of recycling designs from the past. So, after 25+ years, maybe it’s time to retire the silver eagle and come up with something that says 2012 and not 1912.

Brian – For other images… Jessica Alba comes to mind, but I realize it would have to have a wider, more common interest than my own tastes. Pioneers (no one specific) would be a good alternative. It would be nice to see the common people who built the country represented for a change. One could pull plenty of examples from that group…. miners, ranchers, farmers, fishermen. Of course I would choose images from the past for the designs.

Shutter – the image of Nike on the gold 1988 could easily have been liberty and it looks timeless. Liberty doesn’t say “Cleveland era” to me. No need to recycle (it’s ashame we do, but what does that tell you). I understand you’re wanting 2012 represented, but what about this time in our history says “greatness” about it? Maybe we can put a foreclosed sign on the coin, that would say 2012 in my opinion. What say you?

About as modern as I would go would be the beginning of the space shuttle program (again no one person specifically). Anything after that is too close to the present and too soon to judge historically without the typical political lack of clarity, that would undoubtedly enter the process. Since our opinions probably won’t be acted on, we are all just wishing anyway, good luck with any positive change.

41. simon says

There are some themes which could be of niche interest – for example music – I think the DC quarter with Duke Ellington is unique, and a coin commemorating Jazz would be welcome in some quarters – if the economy recovers they could reinstate the New Orleans Mint and strike it there! The Edison coin was great but they could have had an Einstein Relativity Centennial coin – he was a citizen. I would also like a coin with a railroad theme. They are still to organize the NASA commems. And I have yet to see a dedicated Air Force or Navy coin.

42. Shutter says

VA Bob,

You misunderstand me. I’m perfectly fine with designs representing the past. I am not fine with a 100 or 200 yo design and slapping it on a new coin. Silver eagle is a perfect example. Take 70 yo design, slap it on a new coin and mint virtually unchanged for another 30-50 years. I understand that the walking liberty is iconic, but how about something new.

43. Shutter says

I would also like a coin with a railroad theme.

In 2021 we could issue a dollar coin made of copper and the size of today’s penny to commemorate 50 years of Amtrak subsidies.

44. DCDave says

Shutter,

Can think of a lot of worse things that get subsidies than Amtrak.

I actually enjoy Amtrak and am proud of our Nation’s longstanding relationship with the rail system.

Please bash something else….

45. Matt L. DeTectre says

I wouldn’t mind seeing some different designs besides expired politicians. I’m okay with the ones like Washington and Lincoln but I agree any more politicians from the last hunerd and fifty yrs is a waste. MIght as well have representations of Elvis, Madonna, a Big Mac, and a pair of Levi’s on some of them. Uh, oh, that sounds like some of the stamps released by the USPS.

FREE PUPPIES.
    1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 sneaky neighbor’s dog

46. ChosenReject says

Shutter

I am aware of FDR’s involvement with the march of dimes. I still think he was not a very good president. Which brings me to my point. Why put Presidents on coins who will inevitably not be liked by certain people for political reasons be it Regan, Wilson, FDR whoever. Liberty, Freedom, Peace etc. should be on circulating coins, because that is something we can all strive for.

47. William says

I would like to see great Native Americans Indian Chiefs put on silver and gold coins…perhaps the set could be called First Americans or Early Heritage.

The post office has issued stamps of the Great Chiefs, perhaps the mint could draw inspiration from those early stamps.

Wild Bill

48. DCDave says

And who has a problem with Reagan?
    He was our last “great one”.

Coming from the middle, I’d like to see a Reagan, Teddy Roosevelt and a Barack Obama coin. I don’t care if you like Obama’s policies or not; having a black president has been great for this country period.

49. Shutter says

I actually enjoy Amtrak

And I enjoy single malt scotch. Strangely no one volunteered a subsidy for it. I’d probably enjoy Amtrak too, but I don’t live in the tiny section of the county it serves. My only relationship to Amtrak is to subsidize it for folks who can afford to pay their own freight.

I don’t care if you like Obama’s policies or not

I don’t either, but there is something tacky about putting living people on coins. So I’m hoping not to see a B.O. coin for another 30 years or more.

50. Shutter says

Why put Presidents on coins

That horse has left the barn quiet a few years ago. US has been putting past presidents on coins and currency for a long time now.

51. ChosenReject says

You answer half of my sentence. Read the whole statement and then respond. I am pointing out how it is divisive and long time before 1909 it was policy to not have actual political leaders on coins for the very reason I bring up.

52. ChosenReject says

To be clear, Commemoratives are different as anyone can choose to buy them or not. I am specifically talking about circulating coins.

53. Shutter says

In US, all presidents have been democratically elected and typically leave office peacefully, turning power to their successor regardless of whether this successor was an ally or an opponent. Once retired, most presidents have stayed out of politics. After they die and years have passed, who really cares? FDR as been dead for than 60 years. Time you got over it. In my opinion an actual person is better on a coin than some nebulous anthropomorphism. I only wish the designs got changed more frequently.

54. houTX says

Thanks Michael. I have never seen a 1988 Olympic comm before this post and I just picked up a NGC 70 proof for $25. over melt. These are great values given the current spot prices.