First America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coin released to Authorized Purchasers on February 26

The following was sent to the Mint’s Authorized Purchasers on February 9,2018:

The United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coin – Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Monday, February 26, 2018.

We do not anticipate an allocation of these coins. The next America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coin, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore will be released on April 16, 2018.

Struck in .999 fine silver at the Philadelphia Mint, the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins are unique in that they measure three inches in diameter. The designs featured on these coins replicate their America the Beautiful Quarters Program coin counterparts.

Hover to zoom.

The reverse (tails) of the coin depicts Chapel Rock and the white pine tree that grows atop. Inscriptions include PICTURED ROCKSMICHIGAN2018, and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

The obverse (heads) features a 1932 restored portrait of George Washington.

Each legal tender coin is encapsulated and placed in an attractive presentation case along with a certificate of authenticity.

The America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin – Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is priced at $154.95. Orders are now accepted at the Mint’s online catalog and at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing and speech-impaired customers with TTY equipment may order by calling 1-888-321-MINT (6468). Information on shipping options is available at the Mint’s website.

This product is also available for purchase through the Mint’s Product Enrollment Program.

The current authorized mintage limit for both numismatic and bullion 2018 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins honoring Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is 100,000 units. The maximum potential mintage limit for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin–Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore has been set at 20,000 units.

About the United States Mint
The United States Mint was created by Congress in 1792 and became part of the Department of the Treasury in 1873. It is the Nation’s sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces numismatic products, including Proof, Uncirculated, and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver and gold bullion coins. Its numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to taxpayers.

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, orders placed prior to the official on-sale date and time of February 9, 2018, at noon ET, will not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Press release courtesy of the United States Mint.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

My P’s have not shipped but I got in late by 3hr’s But now it seems they may all be late? Somebody must have broke the 5oz machine? Well Good Luck To Us All “><"

2. Darek says

On Friday I received email confirmation from the Mint, that my P puck was shipped. Tracking information just show that label was created, nothing else.

From JMB –

Dear KCSO, you’re awesome and should run for President,

Thank you for your order. We wanted to notify you that the 2018 5 oz ATB Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Silver Coin (BU) has been delayed several weeks. This delay is a production delay at the U.S. Mint and therefore affects all dealers. We apologize for this inconvenience. The new anticipated ship date is Thursday, March 15th. As soon as the item ships, we will email the tracking information to you. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact us at support@jmbullion.com or at 1-800-276-6508. Again, we’re sorry for the delay.

JM Bullion, Inc.

4. cagcrisp says

@KCSO, “Dear KCSO, you’re awesome and should run for President,”

The bar has been set pretty Low…

5. NcCoinCollector says

Received the 2018 American Liberty 1/10 ounce today. It’s a good looking coin. My question is, why did it not sell the 20k something the medals and one ounce coin did? Given it’s roughly a 12th if the price of the anniversary coin I assumed it would sell more not less.

6. John Q. Coinage says

Nc the collecting base is fedup to a large degree & the designis either like or not nothing seems inbetween, it is a nice silver medal (I got on ebay for $30 the RiGHT price…) but the 1/1oth is priced kinda high, hass a large mintage # & likely will be on sale all year, so I am waiting & cheking ebay & spot cause it can be had for le$$ over time…… the medal took a log time to sell in the 2oks….. the 4 piece set NOW is <30k sold……month# after issue

7. Tom says

I received my 1/10 th Liberty today. Very pleased with the coins AND the packaging. I had NEVER received my order this quick. Very surprised! Of course the sales were dismal, so the orders were processed sooner.
    I still believe they will sell out by the end of the release day. Since my guesstimate was for a day on Venus and not Earth, it’s very possible.

The interest in this coin is dismal. I’d be surprised if it sells 50,000….no way it will sell 135,000.
    However, if you bought one and are pleased with it, then congrats.

I also got a letter from APMEX about the bullion Pictured Rocks delay.. These have been on presale for a while, and this may give the Ap’s a good idea as to how many to order. My guess is the bullion version sales will be 35 to 40k.
    Any other quesses.

10. NCM Collector says

We can’t assume it will not sell well based on first day sales. The 10th ounce will be around a while. I’ll pick one up later graded closer to spot.

11. johnaz says

I would like to know if there is a way to find out how many pre 1964 silver coins have been melted down in the last 10 years.

12. Jerry Diekmann says

Louis – that’s because KCSO is going to be President – there can only be one at a time. But you can be Vice President if you want. You just have to practice looking like Mona Lisa like the current VP does.

13. sharks2th says

So this explains the delay in the 69dmpl pucks showing up. My P puck is arriving tomorrow.

It seems a little odd they would set the P puck limit for pictured rocks at 20k. Why state a limit before seeing how high or low the demand is? I know the sales have been going down, but the mint shouldn’t limit themselves if one of them this year becomes higher in demand. I don’t see them selling 80k of the bullion versions of any of them this year unless silver drops to $12.

KCSO 2020🇺🇸

14. Darek says

Jerry I wish you all the best, but I am not sure if you make it to see the same “Mona Lisa” in 2020 with all the hate you have in you. BTW how was the stock market for you, the last couple of days? Who you want to say ” Thank you”, because if the stock market is in red you blame current POTUS??? Lol

15. Darek says

My P puck is still in the warehouse. No updates on the tracking information since last Friday when the label was created.

16. cagcrisp says

I see some on here are seeing the 10 percent correction as nothing more than Technical.

I’m seeing it as more Fundamental and thus I’m more concerned than most and gone from Overweight to Underweight equities…

17. KEITHSTER says

Yup something is amiss with these 5ozer’s? Mine have gone off pending and the money returned to the account. show still processing. One would think the Mint would list them as BO or explain the delay’ ya right ! My guess is they were going for a trial of a curved moon puck and bent the press out of shape? And now have to wait for the parts from Germany hope the don’t use smartpost! Looks like a wait and see as they must not have had many on the ready to go? Well Good Luck All We’ll Need It”><"

18. cagcrisp says

16AN 2016 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – FT MLTR 17,882 –
    17AJ 2017 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – EFF MNDS 16,601 26
    17AK 2017 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – DOUGLASS 16,982 75
    17AL 2017 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – OZARK 16,834 44
    17AM 2017 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – ELLIS ISLAND 17,694 (1)
    17AN 2017 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – G R CLARK 14,741 (18)

19. cagcrisp says

16EA 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ 584,977 +528
    16EB 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 24,071 + 8
    16EC 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ 5,923 +6
    16EG 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ 216,503 (821)

20. cagcrisp says

18CD 2018 WWI CENTENNIAL COIN & MEDAL – AIR SERV 11,323 +334
    18CM 2018 WWI CENTENNIAL COIN & MEDAL – NAVY 10,986 + 378
    18CN 2018 WWI CENTENNIAL COIN & MEDAL – MARINES 11,455 + 649
    18CP 2018 WWI CENTENNIAL COIN & MEDAL – COAST GRD 9,052 + 533

23. cagcrisp says

17XA 2017 AM LIBERTY 24K GOLD 1 OZ 27,775 + 131
    17XB 2017 AM LIBERTY SILVER MEDAL (P) 55,192 (5)
    17XC 2017 225TH ANN ENHANCED UNC SET 210,425 (3)
    17XD 2017 AM LIBERTY SILVER 4-MEDAL SET 29,857 +81

24. cagcrisp says

16XA 2016 WALKING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .5OZ 65,509 (1)
    16XC 2016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ 91,752 –

25. earthling says

26. cagcrisp says

@earthling, “Was there ever a final number for the 2017-P Lincoln Cent? I was finding them on the ground for a while so I can’t imagine they’re scarce in any way.”

4.36 Billion…

27. cagcrisp says

With the Free budget shipping for enrollments, I can’t see that the $5.00 price Increase had Any material effect on First week sales for the “P” puck.

You had your shot at Free budget shipping, after Friday +$5.00…

28. John Q. Coinage says

100k USM burnished limit…really where do they make up these #s it become pure bullion @ those #s heck the bullion have much better leg$ in the aftermarket, but for the real top dogs. GRC design is ok but not really depicting a national park & where are the birds?

29. Einbahnstrasse says

And with less than a month of sales in the books, the WWI proof and unc. have both surpassed the full-year sales of last year’s Boys Town $1.

30. Daveinswfl says

Are you kidding me? 821 returns of the 2016 unc SAE ! Still selling 2016 two months + into 2018 ? Ridiculous!

And they REALLY need to do something about the return policy. I doubt there were 800+ unacceptable silver eagles, but maybe that many non-70s.

How about a restocking fee and buyer pays return shipping. Even better, sell those “rejects” at a discount equal to the restocking fee. Now THAT would move those 69s pretty quick!

31. John Q. Coinage says

Dave 2016 has been CU for awhile now SO & now off the baords.. no worries the ASE sales#s will keep dwindling I suspect, year to year falling,…..the new2018 1/1oth oz. $10 .999 may be on sale for a year or longer…….

32. cagcrisp says

1/10 oz. Gold American Liberty…

FDOI = 9,842

1st weekly sales report = 14,295

Friday, Saturday and Sunday sales = 4,453

14,295 x $215 = $3,073,425

Not exactly what I was expecting…

33. Xena says

BigL – have you asked ANA for their numbers? They were fairly helpful with info when I was getting the new coin club started.

“BigL says
    February 12, 2018 at 1:50 am
    OT
    Can anyone provide a link to the number of ANA members over the past 20 years or more? Current membership, I believe, is about 24,000.”

34. Achmed says

Daveinswfl says

FEBRUARY 13, 2018 AT 2:04 PM

But now they have stopped the sale of this coin.

35. Goat says

Thanks Dustyroads for the “Au” chart If people purchase the cheap stuff over spot we will see a increase in spot price . Money going out, new money coming in. We are at the crossroads now. I think the higher margin on mint “PM’s” is a clue. The one question is in hard down turns both stock and PM’s pullback , PM’s is quicker out of the gate towards the end .

I do like the numbers 3,6, and 9 mathematical, these numbers tell a story. August 24, 2015 in ten min. the market had a Hugh swing. Almost gone unnoticed by the in of the day. February 2018 felt a little harder and noticed by many. Now that brings us to the number “3”, time will tell. Many stocks in the near future will follow the stocks I listed in the near past. View a “Au” twenty year chart starting with the date Feb. 10, 2008 then look at 100 yr. Dow to Gold ratio (oz.) chart. View time Jan. 1966 to Jan. 1980 compare to Aug. 1999 to present on a 100 yr. chart.

Most of all there are many charts that are in the make or break scenario at the same time. Charts in the high of all highs to those big companies already showing clasp. The picture should be very clear but the question is, how long will this pullback take. Be patient this one can yield big. ge I think is getting close to enter. Cash is king. Double to triple in one to two years.

36. MarkInFlorida says

My enrollment P Puck shipped and is near here by SmartPost scheduled for delivery Thursday (But since they are delivering it to my local PO it probably won’t be in my box until Fri.

37. sharks2th says

The P puck arrived today and looks nice. I’d put this one in the top half of the designs.

I was by the bank today and they had 27 rolls of halves which were machine wrapped and in the box. Someone else must have ordered some because they don’t usually have rolls. You can guess what I’ll be doing this evening with these leftovers. 💰

38. KEITHSTER says

Mine do now show shipped but you know they haven’t cause the card has yet to be pinged again.So they must have wanted to get with the spendy ones first then worry about the rest. Here Iwas hopn they were trying to make a couple of errors in the spare time around there and the machine broke oh well dream on !!Good Luck Now”><"

You’re welcome Goat, charts are very interesting. It surprises me how many people don’t believe in any charts or TA at all. The chart that I shared is only about a probability, but I just hadn’t noticed the big wedge shaped correction before now, and if you count the waves it sure looks like a completed correction to me at the apex of the wedge. Then what do you see next but a surge in price, then an ascending zig zag patern in a symmetrical triangle. All very long and drawn out, but I’m not sure if time is of importance. The important aspect to me is that it is a bullish pattern long term, unless of course the breakout didn’t occur as it appears. Then we are back to an ultimately bearish scenario for gold. I however don’t choose the latter as a primary.

Have a great evening/day Goat

40. KCSO says

cagcrisp says
    FEBRUARY 13, 2018 AT 3:20 PM

“1/10 oz. Gold American Liberty…

FDOI = 9,842

1st weekly sales report = 14,295

Friday, Saturday and Sunday sales = 4,453

14,295 x $215 = $3,073,425

Not exactly what I was expecting…”

There was a day.., not that long ago, that we would see the first four days of most new unique release CONSISTENTLY capture around 58% to 68% of total sales (if there was not a sell out).

Over 2014 thru 2016 it was so predictable and consistent, I based a lot of my Guesstimates off this trend.., don’t believe it holds up anymore, …nothing consistent anymore.
    If the past held true on this one, which I believe it will, it could top out between 25-30k.

Coin collecting is subject to trends like everything else. Count yourself a cut above if you’re still here. But remember, the craze will return.

42. Daveinswfl says

Some day……..some day in the far, far away future.
    Till then, it’s bullion for me.
    And one reverse proof set IF it is in silver.

43. BigL says

OT but follow up to Dustyroads & Daveinswfl:

44. So Krates says

I’ve hiked the Pictured Rocks area. Some of the trails come right up to the edge of the cliffs and caution needs to be taken. If you don’t watch your step in some areas off the Lakeshore trail, you could easily fall through an eroded hole in the sandstone. If you take a close look towards the right, the tree atop the rock extends a massive root to the mainland. On the quarter, it looks more like a branch from the other trees but is actually a long umbilical cord-like root nourishing this maverick tree. Here’s a closeup:

45. cagcrisp says

@BigL “Do the dwindling USM sales represent a downward trend from which there will be no recovery (secular change) or a cyclical change from which recovery to higher highs is likely or are they not representative of the numismatic marketplace (uncorrelated change)?”

Commodities are cyclical

Lower and Lower Mintages are secular

The hay day of Mint is Long Gone…

46. cagcrisp says

THE Inflation number released at 8:30 ET Could be a Game Changer

The market correction was triggered by one component of the Jobs number – wage inflation

Todays release will be CPI for January…

…And you better hope for a benign number.

Pre market equities are Gambling on a weak number…

47. earthling says

The Bitcoin is so strong lately. Is this all about the “Dreamers” I hear about all over the headlines? This is sad to see this action over a pure number floating in the ether.

But it’s speculation in its purist form. No building, no transportation, no rarity or condition worries. No storage. Just pure profit and loss.

A Shell Game that can reach every mark in the universe. 💩

BigL, There’s only so much that a circle of coin enthusiasts can take. The last several years has been brutal on the community. However, I encourage you to continue to enjoy what you do and let the future decide whether or not it wants precious metals coins from a backed centralized entity. I believe the answer will be yes. But be prepared for society to take it’s sweet time. Personally, I say with a resounding yes, there will again be a hayday for coin collecting.

49. Buzz Killington says

@SK

Thanks for sharing those amazing pictures. I’m glad some human vandals haven’t ruined this area. If we’re really lucky, they never will.

50. jj says

@cag, wondering how low CLCT will go? was thinking of getting in. dividend decent…(for now) – go IAG!

51. cagcrisp says

@
    jj says, ” wondering how low CLCT will go? was thinking of getting in. dividend decent…(for now) –”

I’m not interested. I don’t like the US business and the China business is Ripe for either someone doing the same thing in China, a buyout from China or a take over.

Market cap is Way too High for a buyout at this level.

I’m Not a buyer of Any stock for the dividend.

A LOT better opportunities out there vs. CLCT

There’s a reason it continues to hit 52 week Lows…

52. cagcrisp says

@jj, From the 10-Q information that I posted the 2 items that I would be most afraid of IF you are considering a stock purchase:

“We expect that internally generated cash flows, current cash and cash equivalent balances and borrowings available under the credit line and term loan will be sufficient to fund our continuing operations at least through December 31, 2018.”

That’s continuing operations at least through December 31,2018. What happens after that?

and the other:

“Although we have no current plans to do so, we also may seek to sell additional shares of our stock and incur borrowings to finance the growth of our collectibles businesses. However, there is no assurance that we would be able to raise additional capital or obtain additional borrowings on terms acceptable to us, if at all.”

Let’s just say that you purchase today, What happens in a year from now without sufficient cash or cash flow? and what happens to your stock position if they have to go the equity market and sell additional shares or have to go to the credit market and borrow more?

I’ve read a Lot of 10-Qs in my lifetime and these words are not words you like to read…

53. earthling says

I’m not really into Stocks. But I’ve always had a very light interest in them ,just never enough to jump in. Back in Fall 2008 looked like the perfect time to get in. Being totally unknowledgeable about Wall Street, I thought it was the end of the world and I just held my PM’s determined to ride down all the way.

Well the PM’s did recover a little but Wall Street did a lot better. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. The Platinum I’ve held all these years isn’t as exciting as it was back around early 2008.

Oh well. Some sort of Savings is better than no Savings at all.

😕

54. jj says

@cag, yea possibly just a falling knife here. already bleeding a lot from GE 🙁

@earthling, it can be fun, but it drives u crazy too. yea bring back $2000 platinum! lol

55. cagcrisp says

@jj ” already bleeding a lot from GE 🙁 ”

GE will be a takeover at Some point.

Market cap is still too High.

The Pension liability is a major problem.

My Guess is that GE will be taken out of the Dow and that after Splitting Amazon will be put in.

There are some reasons for Bezos to do just that…

56. John Q. Coinage says

Real of faker rally, silver the key the range 16.2o–17.77…they go long, buy short…sell later, etc. Make $ from the rangebound area, demand is the key no game$….. inflation huh, the Fed$ alwys say none exists…….Suspect Trump will be of that ilk, the weaker $ talk & status does only = Inflation, here on West Coast gas WAY up the past few months….CLCT buy US STeel, at least they will BE a real takeover tarket

57. Don says

Cag,
    I also enjoy your weekly Mint info. It’ s unfortunate that Earthling interrupted your string of consecutive posts that began at 2:42 pm yesterday. He snuck in a post between your 11th and 12th comments, denying you of a MNB record for most consecutive posts by an individual contributor.
    Keep calm and post on (KCPO).

58. earthling says

17EL 2017 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 15,769 +189

2015 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 16,591

Anyone think the 2017 ‘s will come in at a higher number than the 2015’s . Or more importantly, do mintage numbers even mean anything at all?

59. cagcrisp says

Two Gold producers reported after the bell today…

Goldcorp (GG) reported All-in Sustained Cost (AISC) of $824/oz. for Gold in 2017.

Guidance was not listed beyond 20/20/20: 20% Increase in Gold production, 20% Increase in Gold reserves and 20% Reduction in AISC by 2021

Barrick Gold (ABX) Largest Gold producer in the world…

Guidance was production of Gold of 4.2-4.6 million oz. between 2019 and 2022

AISC between 2019 and 2022 was for $750/oz. and $875/oz.

Forward P/E for ABX is 18.02
    Forward P/E for GG is 30.47…

…SO…Too rich a stock for me…

60. Scott says

@earthling, there was a time when I would have jumped on the chance to get that 2017 Buff, but not now. The premium is too high and I’m not convinced it’s a good long term bet as 2018 will likely be even lower.

61. John Q. Coinage says

cag I have had GG for years some good, some down, its been stagnent as is the Mkt IMHO, Ag is very predicable @ present a channel up to $17.7o’ish & a profit taking back to $16.’i$h then let’s do it again! Silver Wheaton was an all time play 2oo8 @ 2.68 reached a high of $84 or so…I should have put all in…..there are some deals still out there, but USM offerings are NO longer a good investment play until they get their act together & we figure out IF a collectors market for moderns will survive. I ‘believe’ in coins but in reality & fact things are cyclical but I am waiting for US Stamp$ to recover, since the ‘9o’s! I fear date (a la a penny board for the ‘kids’) is going the way of stamps, Scott Cat$ v. Liquidated ca$h value, a major disconnect, dealeers already seem to be offering slight premiums for other than real powerful date$, I note even o9-S VDBs are gettin cheaper! Always POGs….

62. Jerry Diekmann says

Dustyroads – I’m with cagcrisp – the heyday of the Mint is long gone and I don’t expect it to ever rebound, just decline slowly year after year into the future, when it reaches some stable point where the minimums of today and yesteryear meet the maximumd of the future. The Mint deserves a lot of blame for this situation – greedy premiums on coins and medals, a terrible marketing department, no stability, PC designs, poor management. If it were a private industry and not a monopoly, the problems we see now would have happened much sooner.

Plus, there is a secular reason too – younger people are not so interested in collecting “things”, but in collecting “experiences”. I don’t see that situation changing, only becoming stronger. It’s a fact of life now.

63. Jerry Diekmann says

cagcrisp – that would really be remarkable if GE were taken out of the Dow. I think I am correct in stating that GE is the only stock that has stayed in the Dow since it was created back in 1896. After stellar years under Jack Welch, it was ruined with 17 years under Jeff Immelt, who recently retired – good riddance.. I would think that Amazon would be very ripe for a major stock split, or maybe a split into several different companies. This stock doesn’t seem to have anything holding it back.

64. John Q. Coinage says

Jerry- I fear you are right, as I’ve said b4 how many people <30 collect coins, how many are really numismatists under <40? Not alot &* not alot coming, not cultivation from the USM in fact, as an old timer, their utter lack of cents (yuk…) and sensibility makes new issues a joke, either w/a HH limit or not, the era of a quick by & flip are past……buggy whip collecting was hot in the 1890's! Stamps till the 1980's coins till …??? cybercurrency, USM debacle(s) or such increasing the speed of the decline it appears…. as an example the new 10th Oz. AG has zero chance of selling 135k, or 100k…..they could not sell 100k gold walkers & that's the 'cat's meow' of designs.. [We'd think…} now the 2017 HR…. Ho Hum Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz abound….look to the past 1790's issues could save the mint, na lets do ANTOHER JFK for his 100th birthday – Missed it, who cares, do it next year- US Mint eggceptional non-thinking…..