Herbert Hoover Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set

Today, October 16, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began accepting orders for the Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set featuring Herbert and Lou Hoover. This represents the Mint’s first new product release in a month.

card

The product consists of an uncirculated Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollar and a Lou Hoover First Spouse Bronze Medal mounted on a plastic card. The front of the card includes portraits of the President and First Lady with facsimile signatures. The back of the card includes brief information about the coin, medal, and Presidency, along with coin specifications.

Pricing for the set is $9.95 each. There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits in place.

coin-and-medal

This represents the first availability of the Lou Hoover Bronze Medal. It will also be available within the 2014 First Spouse Bronze Medal Set available next week on October 23, 2014.

The Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Sets are amongst the US Mint’s slowest selling products. According to this week’s sales report, the prior two releases for this year featuring Warren G. Harding and Calvin Coolidge have only reached sales of 1,878 and 1,729 units, respectively.

Message from the US Mint on New Website

The United States Mint has sent a note to editors, once again urging Mint customers to reset their account passwords in the online catalog. The US Mint launched their new retail website and order management system on October 1. The new system will be put to the test with the first high volume product release on October 28 with the release of the 50th Anniversary 2014 Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection.

The message from the US Mint is as follows:

The U.S. Mint is anticipating a very high volume of orders to be placed on our online catalog and by phone when the 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection goes on sale October 28. To streamline the shopping experience, the Mint urges customers to reset their account password in the online catalog prior to October 28. The new website and order system, which launched October 1, requires all account holders to reset their password when logging on for the first time.

Steps to do so are as follows:

1. Use your existing U.S. Mint Login
  2. Enter your existing password
  3. You will be prompted to answer your security question
  4. You will then be prompted to reset your password

Existing customers are encouraged to access their account, reset their password, and confirm that their information is up to date before shopping. This will ensure a faster, more streamlined shopping experience, especially in advance of the Kennedy coin launch and other upcoming product launches.

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

I had to give up and call to reset but glad I did or would not have gotten my kennedy halves or the last of theBHOF $1 unc one was missing the outer jacket but the coins looked good and they should be in the running for the last shipped ? Got them on oct.13th. Should I call them on the missing jacket or what never got one like that before? Good Luck All:>:>:>

2. VA Rich says

3. cagcrisp says

I watched the auction for the 6 NGC 70 BHOF coins. The last 15 minutes was where all the action was. Sold for $1725.00

I don’t know why these sets have fallen out of favor so badly the last few years. They are the most attractive way to collect the Presidential Dollars and First Spouse Medals. Aside from 2011 when they cost $14.95 each and to a lesser extent 2010 when they were $11.95, the price point for all other years has been reasonable. This is especially true when you group them all together or with other items for one shipping charge.

I guess it might help if the Mint stuck a fork in the done ones from 2010-2012 and locked in those low mintages as a sure thing. However, the remaining 2009’s were fairly low when pulled after a “last chance” sale and they don’t really bring any premium.

The 2013 sets originally had the language that they would only be available for up to one year from the release date or until inventory was depleted prior to that, but I think that statement has disappeared on the new website. Not that the Mint would have adhered to it, anyway. I’m sure these sets would have been treated the same way as the ATB Quarter 3-Coin Sets which contained the same language, left to languish in the catalog for years.

5. Pittsburgh P says

Cag that seem better but imo the buyer got a deal…

This is old news I’m sure but I found it interesting they lifted the household limit for the JFK gold and still can’t sell 200 a week and they still have NOT lifted the household limit for the 2 coin clad set that runs 9.95$

6. cagcrisp says

@Pittsburgh P, I did not know that they had lifted the limits on the JFK. Thanks for the info. They must be having problems with the clads for some reason. They have been off/on back ordered a few times…

I may look at a couple more Gold JFK’s before year end. I may just take all the money I’m going to win on the Opening Day Silver Guesstimate and parlay it into the Gold…

7. Jon in CT says

VA Rich wrote on October 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM:

Unlike past Coin & Currency sets, the 2014 offering is the American $1 Coin and Currency Set. I’ll bet it’s centered around a FDR theme.

Maybe we’re about to commemorate the 115th anniversary of the 1899 one dollar silver certificate, which featured portraits of A. Lincoln and U. Grant, both of whom have been featured on circulating dollar coins.

8. Steve W says

I just saw the news that Apple Pay is coming out later this month. This is the next step towards our cashless society and the ultimate end of coin collecting. Kids these days don’t collect coins, stamps or play with toys like Lionel trains. It’s all electronics now. Maybe it’s time to sell the coin collection while there is still some interest

9. Frank says

For those who return products to the US Mint for replacement, I have confirmed over the phone from one of the representatives that replacement/exchange option will no longer be available. They will refund and you have to re-order. They will waive your shipping on the new order but will not reimburse you on the return shipping cost. In case the price changes from the old order to the new order (e.g. introductory promotion ends, gold price hits a new grid), the customers have to pay the new price.

When the US Mint announced their plan to switch the distributor last year, I was afraid they would start to use someone who will “nickle and dime” the customers to “save money” for the Mint. It unfortunately turns out to be true. Really sad about this policy change and I might quit collecting anything from the US Mint now.

10. Hawkster says

The Mint has to assume major responsibility for the sleaziness that accompanied the rollout of the gold Kennedy. What were they thinking when the decision was made to open the floodgates at venues such as the Chicago ANA show and the Mint gift stores?
    I believe the sales of these coins have suffered because the Mint did not take care of its core customers–those who order from the website or phone in orders. Sure, one could argue that the mintage total qualified as a Mint success. But it could have been much more successful if things were done differently.

11. stephen m says

The portraits on the front of the card look a lot different than on the coin. The coin likeness makes Lou look pitiful.

12. Pittsburgh P says

Cag, no problem… I figured since I was away for awhile it may have came up but it could be recent. I noticed the backordered issue with the clad sets. Was gonna order more with the silver sets because I figured the limit would be lifted by then – not a big deal. They have been nice small gifts…

Big prize poll for the guessathon ehh… I may have overshot the number with my guess 🙂
    We will see if the website can handle even half that lol… Think I’ll call.

Thx for the info Frank.

13. Jerry Diekmann says

I have bought just one of these president + first spouse sets each year from 2007 – the first year thatf these sets were issued. I don’t think they have done much in price gains, except maybe the very first year. One set of each was all I wanted.

14. gary says

The old return policy was quite liberal and reimbursed customers’ return costs. No doubt it was abused and that is what may account for the new return policy.

Brad are you really counting the packaging as “low mintage” for the Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Sets? If that’s the case one can take a coin out of OGP, put it in their own unique enclosure, and have a “real” rarity on their hands. I understand (and sympathize with those that collect these) the desire for the Mint to stop selling the previous years. That might make the package presentation rare, but not the coins/medals. IMO little difference from the label craziness. As the saying goes, buy the coin.

16. MarkInFlorida says

Regarding Apple Pay, did you hear PayPal now gives buyers 6 months to return stuff?! I hear dealers are going to drop PP and take credit cards direct or see if Apple Pay is better. 6 month return is ridiculous.

17. Jon in CT says

The published pricing grid for numismatic and commemorative Gold and Platinum products apparently did not survive the Oct 1 conversion of the catalog website and was lost in transition. For reference, an archived copy of the pricing grid may be found here.

18. Jon in CT says

And, for the sake of completeness, the price grid for the 3/4 ounce gold proof 2014 Kennedy half-dollar, which I don’t think was ever published on the Mint’s website, is available here. You might wish to bookmark that page as well.

19. VARich says

I’ve never bought one of these sets though put me down for one of JFK & Jackie together, might as well get her FS gold as well since I’ll have a gold Kennedy half to go with a half ounce of Jackie

20. ABC says

Well, based on what Frank said, I will drastically cut back on what I’m buying from the Mint. In the time that I’ve been buying from the Mint, I think I’ve had to return a bunch of coins for an exchange because the quality control simply wasn’t there. I don’t want to pay for the return postage for an item if I’m not going to be reimbursed. The Mint will see their customer base shrink.

21. VARich says

Good catch Pitt, actually, that was very recent. If you want a few more of the half sets at cost, I can bring them to Balt (they look good).

Thanks Frank, good to know, adds a little more sting to finding a hair or fuzzies in your proof sets, or gouges in $1,240 gold proof coins that supposedly grade 90% 70’s on Day 1.

VA Bob,

Yes, the packaging option being rare is what I was referring to. You’re right, the coins definitely aren’t rare. However, no one knows how many of the medals are sold since the Mint doesn’t provide sales numbers for the 4 or 5-medal annual sets. At any rate, there have been instances in the past when specific packaging options can fetch many multiples of the Mint issue price or the value of the contents. I’ve seen some of the 2012 ATB Quarter Circulating Coin Sets fetch around $60 each a while back, when the product only cost $5.95 from the Mint and the $2.50 of quarters inside were sold in the millions in bags and rolls. The set of 10 quarters sealed in plastic inside a white envelope was a rare packaging option (sub 25,000 sold) that some were willing to pay a great deal for.

By the way, sorry for the delay in answering your question. I guess I never revisited this post after my comment and didn’t realize you had addressed a comment to me.

Brad – No worries. You’re correct packaging can change the price (as we see for graded/slabbed coins). Don’t forget the medals are also release in one package for the year, I believe they used to do them individually too, but no longer do.