Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

Today, June 19, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began accepting orders for circulating quality 2014 Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollars packaged in rolls, bags, and boxes. This coin represents the third release of the year and the 31st release overall within the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollar

The obverse design of the coin features a portrait of the former President designed and engraved by Phebe Hemphill. Within the review phase, this was the design which was recommended by both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. Inscriptions include “Herbert Hoover”, “In God We Trust”, “31st President”, and the dates “1929-1933”.

On the reverse is the image of the Statue of Liberty intended to symbolize the concept of Liberty, which has been used in common for all issues of the series. The inscriptions include “United States of America” and the denomination expressed as “$1”.

Incused edge inscriptions include the “2014” date of issue, the mint mark, and the motto “E Pluribus Unum”.

Products available today from the United States Mint include circulating quality Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollars struck at either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint, containing the “P” or “D” mint mark, respectively. Ordering options include 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, and 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95 each. The paper wrappers or bags contain the President’s name, the face value of the contents, and the mint mark.

There are no established mintage or product limits. The US Mint indicates that the products will remain available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory is depleted prior to this time frame. The 100-coin bag options for the first Presidential Dollar release of this year have already sold out.

Since 2012 Presidential Dollars have not been released for general circulation, but have only been available within numismatic products. The initial change in distribution caused a surge in demand for the US Mint’s bags, rolls, and boxes, but the additional demand has somewhat dissipated for recent releases.

The preliminary production levels for circulating quality Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollars are 3.78 million pieces at the Denver Mint and 4.48 million pieces at the Philadelphia Mint for a total of 8.26 million overall. So far, this is tied with the Calvin Coolidge Dollars for the overall mintage low of the series.

Comments

1. Jake says

Grace Coolidge is out on 7/17/2014

The 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set is $9.95

BREAKING NEWS:

The 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coins will be sold via the United States Mint’s Web site, http://www.usmint.gov, toll-free number, 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468), and over-the-counter at various United States Mint sales centers starting August 5th 2014 at 12:00 noon (ET).

3. Ray says

Will the mint pull the McKinley FS coin when they release the Florence Harding coin?

So VA Rich: Are you going to bring a tent and camp out in front of the Mint on Aug 4? Or will you be at the ANA?

Ray,

Regarding pulling the McKinley FS coins the day the Hardings go on sale, the answer to that is most certainly no. If any of the 2013 FS coins are still available by the end of December, their sales will likely be ended at that time as part of the “Last Chance”.

As slow as sales have been, it’s looking more and more like none of them will achieve a natural sellout. This is especially true if the Mint produced all five designs evenly in quantities of 3,000 proofs/2,000 uncs. The later designs would have an extremely difficult time reaching those production numbers. It’s always possible that the Mint may have scaled back a bit on striking the last two or three designs, but we may never know if none of them actually sell out. Whatever the case, the 2013’s will most certainly be the lowest-mintage coins in the series.

This is the perfect time for the First Spouse haters in the group to insert their “These are ugly”, “These will never be popular”, “The Mint should stop making these”, “These will only be worth melt”, etc. etc. comments here. I don’t believe any of those statements, but I seem to be in the minority.

6. jeff says

Camping out for a label hey thought most were better than that. Like say this issue of the Kennedy will be a bust but hey it’s your money, and I know your not buying to flip, resale unless the mintage is way low no premium however you can say you have a frosted kennedy, a enhanced kennedy a proof kennedy oh and a mint state with some high relief oh boy I’m in for 1 set.

I really don’t know why the US Mint doesn’t simply just give a date, instead they dribbled this information out as though it was some kind of second hand news.

I applaud the US Mint for providing coin enthusiasts with several Kennedy half options. There is a special Kennedy coin for everyone — those who have small budgets, and those with large budgets.

I have started a collection of the different 2014 Kennedy half varieties. In my coin collection binder, I already have the:

* Two business strike versions (P & D)
    * Two uncirculated clad versions from the US Mint Set (P & D)
    * Proof clad version (S)
    * Proof silver version (S)

I am looking forward to adding the 7 remaining versions to my album.

Hats off to the US Mint!

9. DCDave says

No mention of BHOF for a bit. Looks like a bunch of BHOF coins now shipping will let the air out of the secondary market. Opinions on this?
    Anyone think a 2013 FS would be a good investment now as a low interest but super low mintage coin?

10. Jerry Diekmann says

It was so interesting – not a comment about poor old Hubert Hoover, the guy who listened to Andrew Mellon, his Secretary of Treasury, who also told Harding and Coolidge how to run (I amean ruin) the economy, resulting in the Great Depression. So much for the “Roaring Twenties”, historically a really terrible period that saw gangsterism flourish because of the ill-conceived Prohibition. The era was portrayed as somehow glorious, but it was anything but that – a decade of decadence. They even did a crappy job of minting some beautifully designed coins, for those of you who may try to get nice branch mint strikes of the nickels, dimes, and quarters during that period – plus people back then didn’t savce coins as a rule. Any that might have been saved were spent during the 1930s, during the Great Depression. That’s my two cents.

DCDave- Don’t waste your money. You will get less than melt for most spouses except a few key dates and popular coins.

12. VA Rich says

Louis – You Rock! Thanks for the heads-up! A replay of the RP Buff.., not sure I agree – but it is… what it is. Oh well…

On the camping out, actually, a combination of both. I decided to pass on the cub scouts, and just load up the bus full of hooter gals for front of line privileges.., I can swing by and pick you up and then Pitt as we pass through Pittsburgh.., only one problem, there’s only one & half seats left – I’m thinking Pitt is younger than us, so he can drive and you and I can flip for that ‘half seat’! πŸ™‚

Jeff – we’re just having a little fun out here, that’s all. After all, I think many of us are cut from the same bolt of fabric – a love for the hobby, not independently wealthy (& geez, is this an expensive hobby), a desire to collect as much as we can with discretionary income, and to offset some coin expenses along the way (via camping out, if need be).., so we can reengage early on in the next year. Anyhoo, you know that I appreciate your input on the BHoFs and think you’re dead on from the posting 3 months ago, but I plan to rally around JFK.., 13 variants of a single coin in a year is either Circus.., or just plain Crazy, either way I’m in! Good luck check book, we’re all gonna need it!

Well said, VAR. By the way, a little bird told me wholesale prices for the BHOF are tumbling, though if you bought at issue price you are fine. I don’t feel so bad now about selling at the prices I got. Never look at a profit as a bad thing even if you could have done better. Oh yeah, and good things come to those who wait- the quality of my long-awaited unc gold BHOF is off the charts. Must be a 1st strike- insert emoticon here!

14. Ikaika says

@ Louis

Thanks for the heads up on the JFK gold coin. I am really curious how this whole thing is going to unfold πŸ™‚

15. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich I may be younger but I still wanna ride! I can alway sit on a hooter girls lap or vise versa πŸ™‚

PP- I was thinking the same thing, but I think she better sit on my lap since I probably weigh twice what she does!!

I am hearing rumors of household and maybe mintage limits, but at this point it’s like reading tea leaves.

17. Pittsburgh P says

Lol louis… Hope your tea reading and fortune telling is gettin good cause household limits and max mintages would be nice! Maybe we can use voo doo to get what we want…

18. VA Rich says

$5 PR70 – 2016 coins of 2302, 88% & 6.3% of mintage
    $5 MS 70 – 1461 coins of 1730, or 84% & 8.1% of mintage
    $1 PR70 – 9809 coins of 14481, or 68% & 3.7% of mintage
    $1 MS70 – 5711 coins of 8703, or 66% & 4.1% of mintage
    PR Half – 2838 coins of 4945, or 57%
    MS Half – 1834 coins of 3237, or 57%

From 02 June, of each total graded coin across it’s respective total mintage, numbers increased less than .4%, with the exception of the NGC $5 PR and $5 MS, which increased .8% and 1.6%, respectfully (obviously attributable to MCM).

19. VA Rich says

FR –
    Pricing for the 50 th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection and 50
    th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set

The United States Mint is announcing a price of $99.95 for the 50th
    Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection and a price of $9.95 for the 50
    th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set.

20. Ikaika says

@ Louis and VA Rich

Is there a link with the information regarding the JFK release both of you have provided us? I would be interested in reading. Thanks!

DCDave,

I have to disagree with Louis on the 2013 First Spouses. They will be so low-mintage that they will never sell for “less than melt.” The 2013’s will very likely be the keys, as far as mintage goes. Plus, the Edith Roosevelt coin has pleasing obverse and reverse designs. While it won’t be the lowest-mintage of the five, it is trending to be the most popular. Notice how it’s proof sales number is slightly ahead of Ida McKinley, even though the McKinley has been on sale for a couple weeks longer. So, the pleasing designs, the popularity of her husband and the extremely low-mintage could place the 2013 Roosevelt near the top of the list of the most popular First Spouses.

The choice of whether or not to buy is up to you. While I’m confident the 2013 coins will always command a decent premium over spot gold, if spot falls further the resale prices in the future could fall below the current U.S. Mint prices. Still, the odds of them being worth less than they currently sell for are not that great, in my opinion. If the proofs end up at mintages of 2,9XX and uncs at 1,9XX or less, those numbers would be tough to beat.

If you don’t want to take the risk, then just subscribe to the best advice out there, which is only buy what you like and enjoy owning. If you do that, then future values won’t matter too much.

22. CW says

@Jerry Diekmann, I totally disagree. At least Hoover had the courtesy to allow people to keep their own money (gasp), something that his immediate successor did not. FDR stole gold and silver from the public. Like Hoover or not he had class and likely would have gotten out of the Depression sooner had he been reelected. Instead the public elected the ‘Obama’ of their time and got the same treatment we get today: prolonged misery and the government literally attacking its own people (just ask anyone under the Lois Lerner gun). Sorry for the rant, but the idea that Hoover was solely responsible for the Depression is tired, old, and intellectually dishonest.

23. billb says

CW, I know it is a coin blog, but wow, what a bit of revisionist history you just posted there. The Obama of their time?–Hardly.

24. merryxmasmrscrooge says

I wish Hoibert Hoover was still president, don’t you Arch? Yeah, Edith now jusy ssshhh.