Hot Springs 5 Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Scheduled

The United States Mint has quietly added the first of the collector versions of the 2010 America the Beautiful 5 ounce Silver Coins to their product release schedule.

Now listed on the schedule with a release date of April 28, 2011 is “2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins – Hot Springs National Park”.

Collectors have been eagerly awaiting any details on the low mintage numismatic versions of the 5 ounce silver coins since the original announcement in December 2010. At the time, the US Mint indicated that all of the coins would be struck in 2010, but would not be available for sale until the first quarter of 2011. (The first quarter ended last week on Thursday.)

Since only the Hot Springs coin has been scheduled, it seems that the US Mint will be releasing the coins one at a time.

The US Mint has not yet provided any indication of the pricing for the coins, but it likely won’t be anywhere close to the near spot prices that were recently charged by some of the authorized purchasers for the bullion versions of the coins.

There has also been no indication of the ordering limits that the US Mint will impose, but I have the feeling it will be just one per household. Ironically, this would be a stricter limit than imposed for the bullion versions available through the authorized purchasers. Since the limit of one per household for the bullion coins was imposed by each of the nine AP’s, collectors could have ordered one set from each AP and stayed within the rules.

On Coin Update
, I previously summarized the known information about the numismatic offering. Each of the 2010 releases has a mintage of 27,000. The coins will include the “P” mint mark and carry a special uncirculated finish created through a vapor blasting technique. In terms of packaging, the coins are encapsulated in plastic, accompanied by a presentation case and Certificate of Authenticity.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I agree with the previous poster…how much longer will it take the Mint to sell the gold Johnson coin? They are the epitome of incompetence!

2. Anonymous says

Anyone have any info on the rumor that the Denver mint is going to product proof strikes next year? Not sure if it is for commemoritives or annual sets? Just a rumor that I am trying to get confirmation on. I did hear that the rumor about the mint stopping the Satin Finish about 18 months prior to that actually happening (any many people dismissing that rumor), and it turned out to be true.

3. markjdye says

Actually, the numismatic versions will be sandblasted using water and ceramic particles. NOT laser blasted. Either way, no PLs or DMPLS I think.

4. Anonymous says

This is a hobby to me, it should be fun!
    I'm going to try to order one just for fun!
    Thats the fun of it, just trying to get one!
    Weird looking thing anyway!!!
    I've been ordering different things since 1969! I just kind of enjoy it!

5. Anonymous says

(Kitco News) – The U.S. Mint plans to release the first two coins in its 2011 five-ounce silver bullion coins in two weeks and with “substantially higher” quantities than in did for the 2010 series, the Mint said Thursday.

Starting April 25, the Mint will accept orders for the first two of the 2011 “America the Beautiful” five-ounce silver bullion coins on an equal, allocated basis to its authorized purchasers, which is how the Mint distributes its bullion coins.

In a memo to this authorized purchasers, the Mint said it will issue these coins “in quantities substantially higher than we did for the 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coins Program. As a result, there will beno terms and conditions imposed on the 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coins Program,” the memo said, emphasizing the words “no terms and conditions imposed.”

Specifically the Mint is allocating 126,500 coins initially for each of the first two coins, and the goal is to have a minimum of at least 126,500 coins for each of remaining three coins in the 2011 designs. It “may increase the mintage limit beyond the initial release quantities based on market demand and blank availability,” the Mint said.

To participate in the program, authorized purchasers must certify they sold all of their 2010 “America the Beautiful” five-ounce silver bullion coins.

The first two coins are Gettysburg National Military Park and Glacier National Park.

Late last year the Mint had to delay the release of the 2010 designs because of concerns of price gouging. Also, only 33,000 of each of the five, five-ounce silver bullion coins were released.

6. Anonymous says

THIS VAPOR FINISH HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE ON SOME OF THE 2006W UNC SILVER EAGLES

7. Anonymous says

Just wait and see, I bet the finish on the collector 5 oz ATB will be nothing like the bullion. With the finish they are using, again I bet the bullion will look better. Just look at your proof silver sets. The new process STINKS !!!!

8. Anonymous says

Just got my set from Jack Hunt; 4/5 perfect; one with a tiny scratch; just ordered air-tites to keep them in.

9. Anonymous says

10. Anonymous says

"I think the UNC's will be nicer than the bullion. I'm not all that impressed with my bullion proof coins."

THAT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PROOFS, THEY ARE BULLION, NOTHING MORE !!!!!!!!!!!

11. Anonymous says

The Mint now has it posted on it's website, price has not changed from what was reported earlier, $279.95.
    The ordering limit comments are interesting:

A limit of one (1) coin per household is in effect for the first week of this product’s release. At the end of this period, the United States Mint will re-evaluate this limit and either extend, adjust or remove it.