James Garfield $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set

Today, December 22, 2011, the United States Mint began sales of the latest Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set featuring James Garfield and Lucretia Garfield.

Each set includes an uncirculated James Garfield Presidential Dollar and a Lucretia Garfield Bronze Medal. The coin and medal are mounted on a plastic card featuring portraits of the President and First Lady on the front and issuance information on the back.

The sets are priced at $14.95 each, plus applicable shipping and handling. There are no stated production limits or ordering limits.

The uncirculated James Garfield Presidential Dollar has previously been released within the 2011 Uncirculated Mint Set and the 2011 Presidential Dollar Uncirculated Set. The Lucretia Garfield Bronze Medal is offered for sale by the US Mint separately or within a four medal set.

Previously released Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Sets for Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan’s Liberty, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S. Grant, and Rutherford B. Hayes remain available for sale at the US Mint. This product type seems to represent the smallest contributor to the US Mint’s overall numismatic product revenue. So far, the 2011-dated $1 coin and medal sets have had sales ranging from 5,561 to 3,924.

Comments

Now that the lengthy backorders and unpredictable sellouts for this product type seem to be over, I don’t rush to buy them anymore. I haven’t even bought any of the 2011’s yet. I was hoping to know if these sets are dead after this year before making that purchase decision. If I can’t see them through to the end, I don’t figure there’s much point in paying the ever-increasing prices for an incomplete collection.

Why is it that the sales numbers for the 2009’s are very low, yet no one seems to care? The 2007’s had several thousand more of each design sold, and can still fetch $50+ each. Despite much lower numbers, the 2009’s seem to be pretty much worthless. Also, the Mint isn’t doing the 2010 sets any favors by leaving them up for sale so long. Those should have been slated to go off sale the same day as the other ending 2010 products.

Maybe the Mint won’t give up on these sets, though. Now that the Presidential Dollars minted will only be for collector sales, it might not matter too much that only a few thousand of each set sells. I wish the 2012 schedule would be extended out a little further so I could see if the Chester Arthur set appears on it.

Speaking of that, I guess his set would look like the other “Liberty” sets, and contain only his picture? It wouldn’t look right to picture him with Alice Paul, even though it’s her medal that would be packaged with him!

2. John-1 says

Off Topic – I noticed last Friday that a key word search for “25th anniversary silver eagle set” on eBay brought up 1700+ items (I think a peak #), by Sunday it was down to 1200+. Today listings are below 1000 (this includes single coins).

I wonder if prices will start moving back up as inventory starts tightening. I do feel bad for those who paid over $3000 for the first MS/PR70 sets. It might be a while before seeing any kind of return (I saw a MS/PR70 set the other day close at $1070).

3. Wylson says

“I do feel bad for those who paid over $3000 for the first MS/PR70 sets”. I don’t think so, they were unlikely collectors and maybe just dealers trying to force the price artificially high. I’m glad to see the prices just over 1K so that more collectors can now get a really cool set.

I agree with Wylson. There never seems to be an end to people that will buy into the hype. That’s what keeps the flippers in business. I have no sympathy for those that spend foolishly, hoping to make a windfall.

As for the lower numbers of 25th annies on Ebay, I don’t believe the decreasing sales are due to lower inventory (these set will always be available), the interest is wearing down. Too many sets were purchased for resale from the beginning. To know the real answer you’d have to know how many ASE collectors there are and how many examples they usually buy. Additionally, how many are purchased for gifts for people that may never buy one for themselves. 100K just isn’t that rare. I feel these will always do well, especially for those who bought from the Mint, but the price on the secondary market may drop a bit more. The $3K buyers will obviously have to hold for awhile to recoup their cost.

Back on topic. I like the concept of the coin and medal set. Three things put a damper on it IMO. Too many offerings of the same products, inconsistent packaging styles throughout the series, and a steep price point.

5. stephen m. says

I too feel bad for the people that paid 3 grand+ for 25th silver eagle anniversary sets but,,,,, i’m sure that they aren’t going to miss that money as much as i would.

6. Zaz says

I’ve never bought one of these, even though the 2007 and 2008 issues have strong secondary market premiums. I find the spouse medal too large at 34mm and too copper colored and not “bronze” enough that overshadows the uncirculated ‘golden’ 26.5mm dollar. Perhaps if these could have been specially ordered with the 27mm uncirculated gold spouse that might have been a different story.

7. Wylson says

I like the spouse medals, but not these 2 coin sets. I’m going for the annual spouse medal set chance on my next order. It’s the most affordable way to get all 4 medals.

8. simon says

Happy Holidays – Happy Hanukkah – Merry Christmas ! Really enjoy all the information, writings, and conversations. Thank You All !

9. merryxmasmrscrooge says

President’s middle initials… just thought of something… Why doesn’t James Garfield $1 read “James A. Garfield”? His home is near where I grew up and I always knew of him in the history books as such”. And Chester Arthur, shouldn’t it be minted Chester A. Arthur?
    The 2011 Andrew Johnson seems alright because he was always referred to as such. Also Ulysses S. Grant and Rutherford B. Hayes, have their middle initials as in most history books. Just some thoughts. Am I wrong?

Merry Xmas. Happy Hanukkah.

10. Tom P. says

“I do feel bad for those who paid over $3000 for the first MS/PR70 sets”.

I don’t. Anyone paying attention would have noticed the mint’s 5 set limit was way too high and would only encourage flippers. With the price of silver creeping lower and collector interest actually diminished due to the quick sellout, I have no sympathy for these people.

As far as the sets mentioned here, you can get the dollar coin for a dollar (maybe 2 or 3) and the spouse copper coin for $5. Why pay $14.95 for something you could put together from the same supplier for half the cost?