John F. Kennedy Bronze Presidential Medal

Last month, to coincide with the release of the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set, the United States Mint also began offering John F. Kennedy Bronze Medals.

These medals are part of the Presidential Medal series, which have seen issuance for each President of the United States from George Washington to George W. Bush. At various times in the past, the Mint has offered complete collections of the medals in 1-5/16 inch size. In recent years, the Mint has only offered the medals for recent Presidents and periodically revisited certain past presidents. Medals currently available include the most recent past five Presidential terms, as well as Jimmy Carter, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and now John F. Kennedy.

John F. Kennedy Presidential Medal

The obverse design of the medal features a profile portrait of President John F. Kennedy designed by United States Mint Chief Engraver Gilroy Roberts. In preparing the medal, Roberts had met with President Kennedy in person to show him early models of the design and incorporated changes after meeting him. Following Kennedy’s assassination, Roberts would modify the bust used for the Presidential Medal to create the obverse design for the Kennedy Half Dollar.

reverse

The reverse design of the medal by Frank Gasparro features the Presidential Seal at center with the burning torches of liberty to each side. The inscriptions include “Inaugurated President” above and “January 20, 1961” below. A quote from the President’s inaugural address is also included: “We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose  any foe to assure the survival of liberty. John F. Kennedy” Gasparro would modify the Presidential Seal included within the design to serve as the reverse of the Kennedy Half Dollar.

The United States Mint has available the 1-5/16 inch bronze version of the medal priced at $6.95 and the 3 inch bronze version of the medal priced at $39.95.

Comments

Wes – I have some come (shipped today too). No expectations that they will of superior grade though.

agred VA Bob…sore losers. APMEX gave me a ONE TIME “courtesy” refund today when I ordered the wrong item. You know they have a NO REFUND policy on the bay? Be careful, don’t make any mistakes!

3. GoldFishin says

@fmt- there are quite a few ebay sellers that will block you if you return an item…some rather large ones will do it as well, or if you leave neutral or negative feedback.

Nothing positive feedback and good communication. Just mis leading photos. Like VA Bob said, they did me a favor. They are looking for the suckers…

I’m gonna break back from this hobby for awhile. Lease is up, have some personal things to tend to and this negative feedback about this hobby is good but oh so bad for it! It’s getting ruthless. So sad…I won’t play on that kind of ball field, can find other hobbies that are inspiring and not bringing out the greed in humans…

6. Jerry Diekmann says

GoldFishin – Some Ebay sellers will also block you if you report to them that they have a shill working with them to drive up bids. Be wary of any second offers – it just means the auction closed when the shill had the highest bid, and you can buy the coin or whatever for your highest (and too-high) bid. Also, if you return an overgraded coin.

7. Jerry Diekmann says

fmtransmitter – you have been a great poster for quite awhile on this site. Hopefully you will come back. I do have to agree with you that the hobby is being taken over by a bunch of unscrupulous and greedy Gordo Gekkos. Fortunately I got started in this hobby when it was much more simple, and I think, a lot more honest. The big dealers and the TPGs have ruined the hobby, killing the golden goose.

8. Tinto says

@Jerry Diekmann

“The big dealers and the TPGs have ruined the hobby, …”

And the new kids on the block (relatively speaking) the “approvers” of some TPG grades for coins …. a sticker on a label …

Thank you Jerry and Dusty, always enjoy reading your posts as well…I will be lurking around but just reading from time to time. Take care and good luck all>>>>>KEITHSTER 🙂

10. Jon in CT says

fmtransmitter wrote on August 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM:

I’m gonna break back from this hobby for awhile.

. Tschüß.

11. VA Rich says

FM – Tschüß is German, it’s a pleasant way of saying ‘farewell or so long, see you later’. It’s really a nice gesture since its coming from Hitler.

Good luck with everything Bro! I think you’re addicted worse than I and you’ll be back soon, though Tschüß none-the-less!

12. VA Rich says

Hey Pitt – it’s a little ways out, though for the Baltimore show, IF you’re able to roll in, is there a day your tied to? Starts Thursday, 30 Oct.

13. Eddie says

I am going to try to save at least $100.00 a month and by this time next year I just might have a gold Kennedy. I would just about trade my BHOF set for one but they are going to be worth more the the gold Kennedy so that would be kinda dumb thing to do. There are going to be so many gold Kennedy’s out there I mean as of now there are twice as many gold Kennedy’s and it is even over with yet. So my thought are the gold Kennedy’s will be coming down in price it is only a matter of time..
    Anyone agree or disagree?

14. Eddie says

@fmtransmitter
    Wish you the best I have learned quite a few things from you so I will miss you and understand your reasoning.

15. Brad (The Original) says

Clark,

I don’t mean to sound like I’m defending the Mint, but I’m sure there are times when sending a returned coin out again may be justified, especially in the case of a limited mintage item. Take the Baseball Hall of Fame gold and silver coins for instance. Since there are so many collectors striving for getting a perfect 70 graded coin these days, they are going over the coins with a loupe looking for the slightest imperfection(s). If they spot even one such tiny flaw, the coin is returned so they can try again. However, the flaw on the returned coin may be so slight that there would be other collectors out there (especially wait-listed ones who figure they have a snowball’s chance of getting one) who would be perfectly satisfied with the coin that was rejected by the other collector. To deliberately deface it just because it didn’t pass muster for you is not a nice thing to do. I do hope you were just kidding about that idea.

I too have received coins in the past that were not perfect. I’ve never had one so bad that I felt I had to return it though, because I leave all of mine in OGP. I’ve never been concerned about grading the modern coins.

I highly doubt that all of the coins you’ve received with flaws had previously been rejected by someone else. I would like to give the Mint the benefit of the doubt and think that coins with severe flaws visible to the naked eye (which obviously never should have been shipped out in the first place) ARE taken out of the equation and destroyed. I’m pretty certain that is the case, since final mintages of sold out limited items seldom EVER match the mintage limit. The discrepancy most likely results from returns deemed unsellable.

So anyway, I don’t feel my position on the deliberate defacing idea you had is “dead wrong”, and I stand by it. We need to be considerate of our fellow collectors.

16. Pittsburgh P says

Eddie I disagree about them coming down in price but I woukdn’t trade my BHoF set for one that’s for sure…

VaRich I’m looking at Friday the 31rst and/or Sat… It’s looking solid right now that I’ll be going but it is aways off.

@Eddie, Concerning the Gold Kennedy I don’t see much price movement until after the conclusion of sales. There really is No reason for price appreciation as long as they are available and IF the price would fall below issue price the Mint would have to reconsider their sales position.

As I have mentioned before the Gold Kennedy is a Mint product vs. a Legislation product. The sole responsibility for success/failure of the Kennedy offerings lies on the shoulders of the Mint. They have too many offerings in the upcoming years to screw this up…Eventually they will do what is Right for All stakeholders…

The Mint can only get “caught off guard” so many times…

18. Jon in CT says

A few days ago I commented about references to the new US Mint Order Management System contract made during PFSWeb’s earnings call with analysts and I linked to a copy of the transcript which was on a private commercial website which required free registration in order to read the entire document. That registration requirement might have been a problem for some readers so here is another link, this time to a federal government website which doesn’t require any type of registration:

Eddie – unless gold tanks, you’ll never get one cheaper than they were at issue price. I do understand your choice though, it’s a tough decision and that’s why a secondary market exists at all. The gold JFK will be available in numbers for years to come, what the prices will be like is the big question.

I’m a little more bearish on the long term outlook of the BHoF since I have re-examined similarly themed coins. I feel even with the 40K the saturation is a bit on the high side. lot of people bought to make a quick buck (and did so), From a coin collector perspective the curvature of the coin holds greater interest than the theme itself (IMO previous baseball themed coins bear that out). As long as the Mint doesn’t decide to make an annual “curved” coin set (like the upcoming RP set purported) it should do well in the long run.

20. Jon in CT says

VA Rich wrote on August 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM:

It’s funny that you assumed FM wouldn’t be able to figure out on his own what that word meant. And I’m not an Austrian.

Brad O – I’ve sent coins back to the Mint with obvious defects. These coins should have never been issued if just a cursory amount of QA were applied. The Mint must get some feedback on the number of returns of a particular coin. Seem it’s the only way they can learn. I wouldn’t advocate damaging the coins further, but I am all for the receiver placing a label on the capsule that would alert either a QA person or an unsuspecting customer that the original purchaser got a defective coin. You’re right when you say some might not mind a rim nick or a minor defect, but they do deserve, as Clark mentioned, to know that they are receiving someone else’s return.

22. Eddie says

It is mainly frustration not being able to afford one of the gold Kennedy’s at this moment while they are still available from the Mint. I too think the BHOF coins will hold there value. My reason for thinking the gold Kennedy would remain low in price for awhile is because we could end up having 150,000 to 200,000 of these being minted and a lot of 70s out there for sell. The BHOF you have less than 40,000 proofs minted.

23. Small time collector says

Brad the original, I have a little confusion on your post in that if the mint felt a coin was good enough to send out the first time and the recipient cherry-picks and returns coins shouldn’t all returns be destroyed? I can see the day where the mint implements measures to prevent such activity. I can see early buyers purchasing the limit, keeping two, returning three and buying three more. What if the returned three were sent out to you?
    A way to prevent it is to establish a quality assurance of a coin being at some threshold (68?) and a purchaser can return 10 % of coins in an order or one coin, whichever is more. Returns would then be destroyed and qty removed from the mintage. That would restrict cherry-pickers and make sure the mint does not eat a lot of returns, while at the same time keeping the odds of receiving a perfect coin equal for all buyers. That seems to me to be the best way to be considerate of our fellow collectors. To suggest allowing fellow collectors to accept your or my returns, I think not.

24. Pittsburgh P says

Eddie like VaBob said unless gold drops a ton the JFK gold will hold mint value at a minimum imo. I understand these are far from done being sold through the mint but 200,000 mintage will not happen. Imo I don’t see them reaching 100,000-last week over 1000 were sold according to prelimanary numbers and that suprised me & if that continues through the end of the year it would only be approx. 85,000 before cancelations…

25. stephen m says

@Brad the original, Your point of view to Clark on returns was very interesting to me if the Mint does indeed send back out rejected coins as you suggest. I’m sure some folks would not mind but I don’t want a reject. I would however possibly feel different if I knew the Mints policy on the coins that are received back from it’s customers. Better QA and knowing what the Mint actually does with a returned coin would go a long way with it’s customers.

26. Brad (The Original) says

Small Time Collector,

I guess the gist of what I was saying goes back to the old saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

It certainly is true that the Mint needs to exercise better quality control, as those coins with obvious major defects should not go out at all. But in those cases where the defect may be so slight that the majority of collectors couldn’t care less about it, it shouldn’t be deliberately defaced by the collector going after a 70.

Transparency WOULD be a great thing, though. Any return that was originally rejected but deemed sellable could easily have a note tucked inside it identifying it as a return, thus alerting whoever may receive it further down the line that it was returned. I doubt that would ever happen though, since then the next person may return it simply because they don’t like to KNOW that someone else examined their coin first. I’m sure the Mint would rather just gamble that the next recipient is an average collector who is not worried about grading or tiny defects only visible through a loupe. Eventually someone will end up keeping the coin as-is.

27. Eddie says

@Pittsburgh P
    That is what I was trying to say wouldn’t they stay around issue price for a while $1250.00 – $1300.00?
    For some reason I had thought they had already reached 1000,000. I haven’t been able to stay on top of all of this like I should having to take care of my mother and my aunt it takes a toll after a while.

28. Tinto says

@fmtransmitter

Enjoy your break from this hobby. Hope you’ll jump in with comments here every now and then.

29. Pittsburgh P says

Eddie yeah they should stay in that price range for awhile. You can buy a PF69 for less than 1400$ & a 70 for less than 1700$ right now. In you question you asked if they might be cheaper in the future & I was only saying I doubt they’ll be less than 1250$ at anytime. I don’t think prices will really stabalize on these for at least a year.

Right now total sold is under 65,000… I know how draining taking care of family is – family first though. Everything else will still be here.

30. Pittsburgh P says

UPS man just left… Opened my JFK golds up hopin for the best but fearing the worst. He did ask if it was GOLD since I had to sign-told him NO!

Both perfect! Not a scratch, scuff, dead spot or hair 🙂 I’ve been worried after reading some of the posts here…

Burn City… A PF69 ANA Inaugural Release Gold Kennedy Sold at auction on the bay for $1,350.00.

Pay Someone to Stand in Line All Day (or Purchase from Someone that did), Pay $1,240.00 for coin, Pay $100 for Grading, Pay bay/pal fees and Only get $1,350.00 for Said Coin—-PRICELESS….

The seller stated: “CERT #’S WILL VARY AS WE HAVE MORE THEN 1 COIN TO SELL”

32. Small time collector says

Brad to – I think the mint will ultimately take note of the secondary market and it’s effect on the desirability of perfect coins (it’s a product of the secondary market and what happened at the recent show circuses).
    Implementing a return standard I mentioned (no more than 10% of an order, or 1 whichever is less and destruction of returns by the mint) would restore the luck of the draw. I don’t agree that the “average joe” should accept returns.
    Your suggestion of returns having a note tucked in (by to original buyer or the mint?) would red-flag and should be potentially offered by the mint at a discount. Odds are that the average collector is going to get something less than perfect (unless original buyer buys 5 and sends back two perfect out of 3 returns because he wanted two perfect). Transparency says it needs to be disclosed as a return. i.e. if the seal on a box is broken, it’s a return. A restocking fee could also be implemented. If something is not done production can and will likely be inflated on all mint offerings until only all coins sent are perfect or this label and grading trend plays out.
    I also feel the mint being silent on returns being re-sent would be disastrous and places them in the position of encouraging cherry-picking. This is a growing trend created by the grading co’s and the mint surely is not blind.

33. Small time collector says

oh, p.s. my ups guy left 20 min ago. I think I’ll leave the box sealed and await a couple sets of the 50th Ann Kennedy half Silver Collection and get a membership at that point, or, I may even open them and not grade them as I don’t think even a 69 will sell less than the original price.
    I’m just a small guy that wants the same chance, as any buyer should, of getting a perfect coin (car, furniture, apple,….. ).

34. Erik H says

Jerry Diekmann saysAUGUST 18, 2014 AT 11:39
    some Ebay sellers will also block you if you report to them that they have a shill working with them to drive up bids. Be wary of any second offers – it just means the auction closed when the shill had the highest bids.

Not all eBayers are dishonest because they are offering a second chance. Time is money, if a bidder is willing to pay “xx” for an item one minute then why should that person reject an offer if a seller has additional items? I know some people just like bidding over and over in order to save a dollar or less. I love when I offer a reasonable BIN and it goes to auction and sells for more. I think some people just like throwing away money.

35. VA Rich says

Pitt – good deal! Maybe you can place my order for my silver sets! lol

That auction above is Priceless…, the stamina of those labels is quickly evaporating…

36. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich yeah I’ve been having some good luck with the mint. Idk if it is something I think Cag or GF said earlier- seems you get better coins if you place smaller orders. I am in the habit of placing several smaller orders rather than one for the maximum(more to split payments)-at least with the BHoFs I did. I only
    wanted 2 JFK Golds… I’m gonna do the same for the silver sets-order of 3 and 1 of 2… We will see if my luck holds 🙂

37. Clark says

BradO–Your view that it’s OK for the Mint to sell returned coins as “new” does violence to the notion of “mint condition”… a notion that the MINT, above all other coin sellers, must exemplify. Like any other ethical and honest seller, the Mint should discount returned merchandise or at least place consumers on notice BEFORE they buy, that a coin is only available in “used” or “returned” condition.

It is presumptuous of you to say that some people won’t mind a glaring nick or fingerprint on coins they expect to be new and in mint condition. I would love to hear any folks on this board come forward and say they want to pay full price for coins from the Mint with visible flaws that should have been removed from inventory. Anyone?

Finally, your defense of this unscrupulous practice ignores reports posted here from people, for example, who actually received coins in capsules on which previous recipients had circled visible defects with Sharpies. I don’t intend to be unkind, but if low quality coin standards are acceptable to you, your collection probably reflects those standards. You are entitled to compile a collection like that, but don’t browbeat collectors who strive for collections with the highest quality coins they can acquire.

@Clark says, You may not “intend to be unkind”, but, you sure are unkind. And I for 1 would buy as many as I could afford for coins with “visible flaws” from the Mint at spot price.

39. Brad (The Original) says

Clark,

Everything you said goes against what I was saying. I’ll clarify here one more time, but this is the last I’ll be talking about the subject.

Of course it’s ok to strive for the best possible collection. I said nothing to the contrary. And no, it’s NOT ok for the Mint to send out coins that were returned for obvious flaws visible to the naked eye. Of course no one would want a coin with a “glaring nick or fingerprint” on it. Those are the ones that SHOULD be deemed unsellable after being returned and destroyed.

All I was saying was that your idea of deliberately defacing a coin just because it wasn’t acceptable to you is not right, especially if the flaw is so tiny that most collectors would not be concerned with it. Why make it useless to everyone just because it didn’t meet your standards? A wait-listed buyer who just wants one for their collection might be perfectly happy with a coin that has a tiny flaw only visible under a loupe.

I’m quite proud of my collection and the condition of the coins in it. If the fact that I’m not maniacal about going over them with my loupe looking for the tiniest imperfections or sending them off for bogus grading labels makes me a sub-par collector, then so be it.

40. Pittsburgh P says

Well said 2cents and Brad (The Original) – Brad most here got what you were saying… No need to explain yourself as much as you did.

41. natatack says

FM enjoy your break, get 12 bottles of Tito vodka a lot of bloody mary mix a large bottle of tabasco sauce and when you finish your 12th bottle, break over! :} just kidding

42. merryxmasmrscrooge says

George Washington and George W. Bush should not be put in the same sentence. One stands for Democracy the other stands for the opposite.

43. NewGuy1 says

I like this site, interesting discussions, just wished it was a bit more organized. This page seems to be about the Kennedy Bronze medal, but the comments are a free for all about anything and everything (from rants about the Mint to BHoF and whatever else).

That said, I’ll still be back cause I like coins 😉 I guess we’ll add my comment to the sea of random comments, unrelated to the topic.