Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Pricing

The introductory pricing for the 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative Coins will only be in effect for a few more days. After March 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM ET, the prices for each of the available gold and silver coins will be increased.

Modern commemorative coins have typically been offered by the United States Mint at reduced prices during a pre-issue or introductory period. At the end of the period, regular pricing goes into effect.

The extent of the price increase after the introductory period has varied by program and denomination. Last year, the commemorative silver dollars increased in price by $2 for unciculated versions and $4 for proof versions. The last time commemorative gold coins were available in 2008, prices increased by $25 per coin.

For the Medal of Honor Coins the increase will be a consistent $5 increase across all options. This will make the change more significant on a percentage basis for the silver dollars. The introductory pricing and the regular pricing effective after 5:00 PM ET on Monday is shown below.

Intro. Regular
$5 Gold Proof $ 449.95 $ 454.95
$5 Gold Unc $ 439.95 $ 444.95
Silver Dollar Proof $ 54.95 $ 59.95
Silver Dollar Unc $ 49.95 $ 54.95

The pace of sales for commemorative coins usually seems to drop off to a base level after the end of the introductory period. So far, sales levels for Medal of Honor coins have been somewhat tepid as compared to other issues from recent years. This could be the impact of the higher prices, the increased number of commemorative coins for the current year, the general decline in the US Mint’s customer base, or a combination of the factors.

Sales figures through March 20, 2011 are shown below.

Sales
$5 Gold Proof 9,958
$5 Gold Unc 3,862
Silver Dollar Proof 61,906
Silver Dollar Unc 26,247

Comments

1. JA says

"So far, sales levels for Medal of Honor coins have been somewhat tepid as compared to other issues from recent years. This could be the impact of the higher prices, the increased number of commemorative coins for the current year, the general decline in the US Mint's customer base, or a combination of the factors."

Sign me up for a) increase in prices which led to b) decline in customer base

2. Anonymous says

Will there ever be another Jackie Robinson phenomenon with these commemoratives?

Given the explosion of the Internet and online retailers scooping these up and slabbing them; I don't see it really happening.

You can make a case for a few of the First Spouse but they're part of a series and not a "one and done" commemorative like the Jackie Robinson.

I just wonder about the mint issuing again a commemorative that sails under the radar and then explodes on the secondary market.

Let's not bring up that 2010 5oz ATB distribution fiasco. That's bullion anyway.

3. Anonymous says

Nice design, but the price is quite high.
    Biggist issue is the coin size.
    Smaller than a quarter! (Closer to a nickel).
    My first Spouse coins are barely large enough, but the MOH gold is too tiny!
    The silver Army and MOH at least have a nice size.

4. Anonymous says

They are putting the their 5oz ATB on sale. Total price plus shipping is $949.00 . Get them while you can, however, they only accept money order which is a bummer. I order mine today, Any one order any? I was in the #800 numbers…hope I can get it.

5. Anonymous says

I cancelled my order for two "medal of honor" coins before delivery…

I once saved an A3 aircraft from having to ditch in the ocean with three airmen aboard with only five minutes of fuel left. It safely landed aboard the aircraft carrier after I radioed the pilot how to by pass the problem with the landing gear and extend the wheels. Maybe I didn't deserve a medal, but you would think the Navy could have at least given me an extra piece of apple pie for dinner…

Running Gun

6. DSTIEBS says

Given the prices I won't buy any. Is a little different with the 9/11Medals. They have know artistry to them. Our mints are charging to much, have to many medals for sale and there is very little design appeal to them. They need better artists that tell the story behind each medal. If I did not read up on the 9/11 medal I would not know what it represented. The Mint needs to pay more for great Artists. Dstiebs.

7. Anonymous says

I agree, gold MOH's too small.
    I would rather pay double and get something the size of a first spouse.

8. Anonymous says

There should be a separate site for 5 ounce silver ATB junkies/flippers to keep perseverating on the availability or lack of availability of them from APs or how much the they are selling for on ebay. It is irritating to keep seeing posts on this topic derailing other posts.

9. Anonymous says

To:There should be a separate site for 5 ounce silver ATB junkies/flippers to keep perseverating on the availability or lack of availability of them from APs or how much the they are selling for on ebay. It is irritating to keep seeing posts on

Dude, this is at least the third time you have posted this…get over it. If a subject has interest, then let people talk…it's no big deal to just go on to the next post.

10. Anonymous says

I'm not an ATB "junkie", but appreciate posts that folks put up about opportunities.
    Ignore posts that you don't care about, but thanks to the posters that keep us informed.

On the gold MOH topic, I've always felt the $5 Indian Eagles were cool with the carved design, but never bought one since they are so small (same size as MOH gold).

11. Brandon says

#1076 at 9:34pm. I've been waiting to buy from the mint, but at a little over spot I couldn't resist. Not to mention if I do get the mint set I'll have every 2010 ATB quarter from each mint. It would be nice to have a way to display them, or store them together.

12. Anonymous says

With silver rocketing higher and the Mint's price fixing scheme, pretty soon the APs will be forced to sell below spot value!

I wasn't going to post, but I couldn't resist annoying the whiner who keeps complaining about ATB posts.

13. Anonymous says

Reality check: ATB flippers, the $2k days are over. There are no bids on sets for $1300 or over. If silver fall you may have a loss.
    I bought a set to keep and am happy I did.
    Just know flipping will be more risky now.
    I think a first spouse gold may be a better play and easier to buy and easier to store and easier to ship.
    The commemorative silver (prior to next week's price increase) may be a good idea too.

14. Anonymous says

The silver MOH UNC has lower mintaqge than the ATB 5ozers and a petty good pricing now.

15. VG says

To Anoymous March 26, 2011 5:26 AM:

Geez, getting $1300 for a $900 purchase of 5 oz. ATB's sounds good to me! Once the last of them are sold out by authorized sellers, the price will creep back up. 2010 will no doubt be the lowest mintage and it's the first in the series. It will always be a winner. I'm glad you only bought one set, it leaves more for me. Don't know how you come up with the gold spouse being a better play. They are sold much higher over spot than the ATB's. Nice try..

16. Anonymous says

Reading the posts on this site of 3k (micro) mintages for UNC spouses seems like a better play than the ATB 5oz, 33k mintage (with no standard quality control) IMHO.

17. Anonymous says

5oz set go for $950 plus shipping and any money order fees and trust (no credit card orders accepted).
    Selling requires fees too.

18. Anonymous says

Talk about secondary market value, look at the premiums on the 2009 UHR's! Jeez! And now that PCGS recognizes the proof-like designation, sellers on eBay are cleaning up. It's amazing what people will pay.

19. Anonymous says

I was able to get 8 sets of the ATB 5 oz silver from the various APs for $860 to $975 each. I don't know if I should flip the duplicates or use them to trade for the future issues in case the price of silver goes up. By the last year of the series silver will probably be in the $50 to $100 range. Chinese and Indians are starting to buy silver up, and there is no stockpile on hand.

I just read that there is now more gold than silver existing in the world (because gold is just stockpiled but silver is used up in industry). Anyone know if that is true?

20. Anonymous says

Medal of Honor coin say back ordered on the invoice but in reality they haven't shipped yet and won't until the end of April.

So the website says one thing and the paid invoice says another.

It makes for a little confusion if you didn't catch what the website says and then read your invoice.

21. Anonymous says

Someone mentioned the premiums being paid on the 2009 UHR coins. I remember how some people were posting comments on this blog back when the Mint was still selling those how the mintage was too high and they would never command much of a premium. It shows what THEY knew, huh? 🙂

I'm glad I had faith in the coin and bought 3 of them total. So far I've sold 2 for a total profit of around $1,100. I have one left, and it looks like now might be the time to let it go. The profit on that coin at today's prices will be over $1,000 all by itself!

Too bad ALL of the products from the Mint don't do this well!

22. Anonymous says

"…Too bad ALL of the products from the Mint don't do this well!"

Like the Buffaloes and Liberty First Spouses; it all goes back to a yearning for classic, timeless, beautiful designs.

It brings us back to the age when every day coinage were true works of art.

Even though there was no shortage of the UHR's, it's "one and done" offering coupled with a classic design and .9999 purity proved a recipe for success.

I didn't buy a single one! Why? I thought it was too small! My friend bought 10 of them and I thought he was nuts. He sent them all to PCGS and 9 came back MS70. He's thinking of sending the ones that are obviously proof-like back for re-grading to sell a couple to make back his initial purchase price.

23. Anonymous says

To: mtb has sold almost 300 atb 5 oz sets on ebay today for $1025.00 a set….

I'm sorry, but I just went through all the completed listings today, and I don't see it.

Unless you can give us an auction/listing number to confirm this, I will not believe this.

Also, as an AP, MTB could not sell these for this price unless they had sold all of their allottment and the bought these on the secondary market…which if they did, they would not be selling them for this price.

Please stop posting BS unless you can back it up. Thank you.

24. Anonymous says

i dont post bull shit…cant believe you comment. ebay item number 300541116131…this is their 3rd round of 100 sold today

25. Anonymous says

To: mtb has sold almost 300 atb 5 oz sets on ebay today for $1025.00 a set….

Please stop posting BS unless you can back it up. Thank you.

Well, I was wrong AND YOU ARE RIGHT.
    I just found their auction(s)…they are still selling them.
    PLEASE accept my apology for jumping the gun.
    Unforfunately, I already bought a set from MTB for $930 so I can't but another set from them…I still don't know how they can sell them at that price.

Anyway, if you don't have a set, buy one of these.

26. Anonymous says

yes alot of people wont see it because they spell out the word ounce instead of using oz..apology accepted..

27. Mint News Blog says

Anonymous- thanks for posting that. I am going to put the info in a full post, so any readers who have been waiting for the opportunity are aware.

28. Anonymous says

Yes, I saw the MTB listings on eBay as well and think it's strange they are blatantly flaunting the Mint's pricing rules. The only two things I can think of is that they are factoring in eBay fees, paypal fees and shipping into the cost and maybe they think that is ok. Another option is maybe they think since silver spot rates have gone up so much since the Mint established the rules that they can get away with it.

29. Anonymous says

Sorry to interupt the endless discussion about other stuff.

Unless I (or Michael) have the wrong date, someone is asleep at the mint. It is after 9PM and these (the Medal of Honor Commems…remember..the title at the top of this comment page) are still showing up at the discounted prices.

Carry on with the usual POP POP POP stuff

Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Images

Images of the upcoming Medal of Honor Commemorative Coins were recently posted on the US Mint’s website. Until now, only the line-art images had been available.

The program was authorized by Congress to recognize and celebrate the establishment of the Medal of Honor, to honor its recipients, and to promote awareness of what the Medal represents and how ordinary Americans can challenge fate and change the course of history. The program includes a $5 gold coin with a maximum authorized mintage of 100,000, and a silver dollar with maximum mintage of 500,000.

The coins are scheduled to go on sale February 25, 2011.

The 2011 Medal of Honor $5 Gold Coin depicts the original Medal authorized by Congress in 1861 as the Navy’s highest personal decoration. The reverse features an image of Minerva, holding a shield and Union flag. She appears on the central design of the original Army and Navy Medals of Honor. The obverse was designed by Joseph Menna and the reverse by Joel Iskowitz.

Based on the mint marks present on the images, the proof coin will be struck at West Point and the uncirculated version at Philadelphia.

The 2011 Medal of Honor Silver Dollar depicts the three modern versions of the Medal for the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The reverse carries a scene of an Infantry soldier carrying a wounded soldier to safety under enemy fire. This is intended to convey the courage and self sacrifice of Medal of Honor recipients. The obverse was designed by Jim Licaretz and the reverse by Richard Masters.

The proof version of the coin will be struck at Philadelphia and the uncirculated version at San Francisco. One of the requirements of the legislation is that at least one facility shall be used to strike proof coins and at least one other facility shall be used to strike uncirculated coins.

Update on Buchanan’s Liberty: The US Mint struck 13,000 coins before the close of the year based on demand forecasts. This suggests that around 1,000 uncirculated coins remain to be sold.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Now that $5 MOH coin is a pure beauty. Depending on the issue price, I may just apportion part of my monthly S.S. check and buy one next month.~Grandpa

2. Mint News Blog says

Issue prices should be:

449.95 gold proof
    439.95 gold unc

54.95 silver proof
    49.95 silver unc

3. AN says

I agree, this is one of the best $5gold commemorative coin designs I've seen in a long time. Will purchase at least 1 gold and a few silvers.

4. Anonymous says

I really like the gold obverse. With the reverse, I would have left out the cannons and have Lady Liberty assume a larger prominence and look at bit more "warrior-like" striking a pose with flowing hair and the flag and shield. Sort of like Queen Elizabeth in the battle scenes in the movie "Elizabeth: The Golden Age." LOL!

5. Anonymous says

I like the MOH coin especially the gold. I'll probably buy a gold proof as I screwed up in '08 and bought the unc $50 gold Buffalo sans the W mintmark. I guess I was too tight. Anyway I'm in for the MOH gold and the $50 Gold Buff proof this year. I'll join grandpa and spend some of my so-so security check on them.

6. Anonymous says

Glad to see the positive comments coming back to this site. Awesome.
    As far as the M.O.H. coins, I am in for at least 1 of each. These really are nice.

7. Anonymous says

If you like all of the MOH coins but can only afford one gold and one silver, which ones would you recommend, the proofs or the uncirculateds? Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

LL

8. Rebel says

The $5 gold is really nice; the reverse features one of the best modern commem designs yet, kudos to Joel Iskowitz – I'm in for one of each type. It's so good in fact, I can't believe it actually will be minted on a US coin. The obverse isn't bad but doesn't really compare, though it's better than either side of the butt-in-the-face silver dollar counterpart, or any of the Army commem designs.

Getting OT – the Army reverses are good but the obverses are a real disappointment … the $5 gold is the best of the lot but is way too comic-book aggro with the dude and his M-16 coming at you; should have faded him back with the other historical figures. The dollar is more PC BS and the clad piece is a complete disaster; what the hell is even going on there?? If I owned any of those coins (and I won't) I'd take them out of the case and flip them over permanently.

9. Anonymous says

Was that 13,000 Buchanan coins or 13,000 planchets struck? If it is coins then that means they struck more but lost some due to wasted strikings.

10. Anonymous says

Two commemorative releases within one month! The mint is on steroids. Maybe this is the way they intend to make sure that more time is given to insure sellouts during the year. Good designs I only wished they gave us more time to let our credit cards breathe in between issues.

11. stgecko says

I agree the coins have an excellent design on them especially the gold one. I'll be buying one proof gold!

The Army commemorative that was just put out isn't as nice but I liked it enough to buy one just the same. I also got both half dollars as I have a complete set of Modern Half Dollars and want to continue that set.

Keep the good design work coming US Mint!

12. Anonymous says

I love the gold reverse…but it's a shame to be on such a small coin. A $10 gold coin with this design would be better. I'd really like to see it on the Silver Dollar…that would be a coin that would sell out!!

13. VABEACHBUM says

While the initial issue costs do appear to be high, please keep in mind that a portion of the proceeds from each coin represents a donation to one or more MOH foundations. I think this was discussed several weeks ago in the MNB thread related to these coins.

With that, the cost of the coin less the donation is $415. The cost of a $5 AGE Proof at today's spot is nearly identical. All things considered, a pretty good value for a unique commemorative issue!! I'm definitely in.

Separately, the figure on the back of the gold coin is Minerva, the Goddess of War. Michael had pointed this out in the initial thread, too. I do agree with some of the current thoughts, though; a larger presentation, even on a $10 gold coin, would have been AWESOME.

14. Anonymous says

With all due respect…bottom line is what the gold coin will cost me out of pocket…I would prefer not to make a donation.

15. TimLeeBark says

I plan on getting the gold proof, I got a feeling about it. I agree with those of you also about WOW if they would only put it on a larger gold or even larger silver coin. Sadly, they won't. How many times have there been good designs that are not used to our amazement? Off topic, have some of you been noticing that the 2009 UHR is continuing to build premiums? I was able to purchase one after market and did not go through the mess others did waiting for them from the Mint. Mine has Liberty with a navel or belly button and in all the images I have been able to find, none of them show this. Have some of you checked yours closely? Michael has this come up before?

16. Steven says

Full figure Liberty, flag, cannon, etc., etc… just more remakes of the same, tired old early 20th c. designs. The silver $1 is far superior in terms of originality and visual balance and dynamics.

17. Anonymous says

I think the gold design is awesome. I've noticed that anything Joel Iskowitz designs looks fantastic (IMHO).

Michael,
    Who is this Joel Iskowitz dude?
    He seems to rock and roll on everything. Maybe you and do a write-up on him if you think worthwhile. I'd be interested to see anything he designed that wasn't a "winner".

18. Anonymous says

Anyone else wish the mint would make a special coin to be given to the family members of all those who have given their lives for our country. Gold would be ideal but silver would also work. I recently saw an ornate goblet that was given to a civil war soldiers family to thank them for his service. I wish I had bought it, it was amazingingly beautiful.

19. Anonymous says

Thanks for the link on Ikowitz, the guy is an artistic genious!
    I think the nice design of the Julia Tyler had to do with the high premiums (in addition to the low mintages). I'm in for the MOH gold because of the design. I'm not expecting them to ever fetch much of a premium

Funny, the same link, I discovered that the 100 year commemorative Scouting coin with a girl on the obverse was designed by a woman, Donna Weaver! Guess you can't blame her for trying to get a girl on the Boy Scout Commem.