- 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle- 1/10 oz. Individual Coin
- 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle- 1/4 oz. Individual Coin
- 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle- 4 Coin Set
- 2008-W Uncirculated Gold Buffalo – 1/4 oz. Individual Coin
- 2008-W Uncircualted Gold Buffalo – 1/10 oz. Individual Coin
- 2008 Proof Gold Buffalo – 1 oz. Individual Coin
- 2008 Proof Gold Buffalo – 1/10 oz. Individual Coin
This is a relatively long list of sell outs to see at this point in the year. Last year, most of the 2007 dated gold and platinum products remained available until sales of the 2008 dated coins started.
The pace of the sell outs is probably being driven by a number of factors:
First, I think the Mint only has a limited inventory of the products on hand. The US Mint has been prioritizing the production of bullion coins over collectible coin offerings. The Mint may have also scaled back production due to the perceived unpopularity of these products.
Second, the US Mint recently reduced prices for most gold and platinum products. The reduced prices may be drawing demand from collectors who had previously written off the offerings as too expensive.
And last, the US Mint recently announced the discontinuation of numerous gold and platinum products. Most of the sold out products listed above are actually slated for discontinuation after this year. The fractional Gold Buffalo coins may be providing a unique allure, as 2008 will be the one and only year the coins are issued. Ironically, collectors are finding a new appreciation for the products now that they are being discontinued.
I think we will continue to see a brisk pace of sold out products as we continue to move into the end of the year.