More Information on $1 Coin Products

There’s a bit more information on the upcoming 2012 $1 Coin products. Yesterday, the US Mint had officially announced the product line up, which had for the most part already been known. The Mint had also provided the April 5, 2012 release date for the Chester Arthur Presidential Dollars.

Subsequent to yesterday’s post, the US Mint has confirmed that the only the 25-coin rolls will be available for the Chester Arthur Dollar for the April 5, 2012 release. The larger quantity 100-coin bags, 250-coin boxes, and 500-coin boxes will not be made available on that date.

The larger quantities yield a lower cost per coin than the individual rolls. Excluding shipping, the cost per coin would be $1.318 each for the 25-coin rolls, $1.1195 each for the 100-coin bags, $1.1038 each for the 250-coin boxes, and $1.1019 each for the 500-coin boxes. There has been no indication of when the US Mint will begin sales for the bags and boxes of 2012 Presidential Dollars.

The US Mint has confirmed that the larger quantity bags and boxes will be made available for the 2012 Native American Dollar. The 25-coin rolls have been scheduled for release on April 26, 2012. There is no indication of when the bags and boxes will be available.

Lastly, the US Mint has posted a preliminary product page for the Chester Arthur First Day Coin Cover. This product is schedule for release on April 9, 2012 and contains two Chester Arthur Dollars sourced from the first day of production at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. (Interestingly, the first day of production was January 11, 2012 at Philadelphia and December 22, 2011 at Denver.)

The production limit for the cover is 22,000 units, which is unchanged from the level used for the prior year covers. Over the course of the American Presidency $1 Coin Cover series, the US Mint had reduced the limit from 50,000 for the 2007 and 2008 covers, to 40,000 for the 2009 covers, to 32,000 for the 2010 covers (except Lincoln), and finally to 22,000 for the 2011 covers. All covers from 2009 to present remain available for sale at the Mint.

Comments

1. Phil says

I really like the reverse of the 2012 Native American Dollar. I think it’s the best one since the original flying eagle reverse. It’s by far the nicest looking of all our regular issue US coinage. I’m planning on getting a bunch of them. If the mint would just get rid of the dollar bill, perhaps these would actually succeed in regular circulation. I’ve never liked the presidential dollars. Too ugly – and they don’t even look like real money, but more like tokens.

2. jeff72 says

Don says:
    March 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm
    Mint supply for 2012 getting boring

jeff72: …thus reason I have started collecting “other” world mint offerings….

3. Michael says

I am trying to do the best I can covering the US Mint’s current product offerings and providing periodic informative posts on broader topics, like this Monday’s post. This is keeping with the US Mint theme of this blog.

That said, there is nothing wrong with branching out to classic series, modern commemoratives, US Mint products of the past, or world coins. These all receive a fair amount of coverage over at Coin Update, and world coins on World Mint News Blog.

“I am trying to do the best I can covering the US Mint’s current product offerings and providing periodic informative posts on broader topics, like this Monday’s post. This is keeping with the US Mint theme of this blog”

….and your hard work is much appreicated! Thank you.

5. VABEACHBUM says

I’m in 100% w/ VA Bob and your other, staunch supporters. Michael, you are doing an oustanding job expounding upon the US Mint morsels you have been given so far, while also managing at least two other, major blog / websites, your own collections and your own family. We know that you cannot do any more to help the MInt get their act together – short of being appointed their next Director!!

Thanks, so much, for all your effort. We know that when the Mint finally gets ready to release all of the “goodies,” we’ll hear about it here first!!!

6. William says

I do believe I see “wild mustangs”…

In Arizona, I have been working to have wild mustangs reintroduced into the mountains around Sedona.

Beautiful coin,

Wild Bill

7. Tim says

Mike, You are the greatest at this, please keep pushing forward. I really want to get my hands on the NA dollar and the Prez uncirculated set. I think this might be the best design in years on the NA, if more people were to see them, the Mint will have to make more, I suppose. Does anyone doubt this could be a well underminted classic in the making?

8. Alan says

I want a bag of horsey dollars. Best design in decades– and on a circulation coin… well, maybe not for circulation anymore, but still, it’s the thought that counts. An instant classic. I hope the mintage is a record low. 😀

To me, a good design for a coin is one that non-coin collectors can get excited about and appreciate.

9. Matt L. DeTectre says

Great info on the blog and additional insights from commenters.

Sorry, but these great Native American designs on a pot metal coin just won’t cut it for me. It’s too bad these designs weren’t worthy enough to be put on a 1/2 oz. silver commem., a 1/4 oz. gold, or a nickel. A nickel with some of these designs would even give the old buffalo nickel a little competition. Hey, Mint, it’s not too late to still do something wonderful with the designs.

“Just ’cause you got the monkey off your back doesn’t mean the circus has left town.” George Carlin

10. Rolling Thunder says

2012 SSB Silver Proof & Native American Dollar my two favorite designs from US Mint so far this year

Think I’ll wait and get proof 2012 NA Dollar (if only it was real gold)- I hope they are still a part of proof sets?

11. Matt L. DeTectre says

Louis, no, the coin color is not the issue. The issue is the composition of the metal that makes up the current Native American coin. You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. A 1/4 oz. gold coin is also smaller than the dolla coin. Unless by smaller you mean the face value. Either way the composition of the metal coin is a disservice to the designs. These dolla coins are also nasty lookin’ after they have been around in circulation awhile. Sometimes they corrode just sittin’ in the bag or roll. They were best left alone with just politicians (other than the signers of the Delcaration) likenesses on them.

“Ah, stardom! They put your name on a star in the sidewalk on Hollywood Boulevard and you walk down and find a pile of dog manure on it. That tells the whole story, baby.” Lee Marvin

12. T1 browserman says

Adam Smith says and I paraphrase….’if you make something, someone will buy it.”

I am not buying bags or rolls of clad but must be somone’s gig.

Bag o’ dollars and rolled dollars that I should be able to buy at the bank at face value with no markup or shipping costs but when I go to my local bank they look at me as if I am Cerebus. What gives ?

Here’s some meadering thoughts:

Another Gold Buffalo….correct me if i am wrong, but I thought the law stated the designs could be changed on this 24kt one ounce issue as the mint sees fit. If Pt gets a new reverse every year (and has been) what is the deal with this issue ? For bullion investors they could care less what’s on the obverse or reverse….an ounce of gold is an ounce of gold to them. Give the collectors something different than what the investors gets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE SOMETHING COLLECTIBLE with an aftermarket value that is REAL. You want a nice 24kt one ounce design….here’s an idea if you’re into retro FUGIO and since we have the TECHNOLOGY, maybe we can see all names of the states on the reverse ring design and the Roman Numerals on the sun dial and the words MIND YOUR BUSINESS on the bottom. Complaints about 2 years sitting together on the site are unjustified; if it were up to me all years would remain inventoried until truly SOLD OUT of whatever quantity were struck. The taxpayer must now pay an employee to unbox the ’11’s, save said boxes for a new UPC code label to be slapped on the bottom and put a ’12 in the capsule and rebox, reload the flow rack. Why not restrike the ’11 with a ’12 so a few lucky collectors get an authentic cost saving (smelt eliminated) coin with a distinct 2 over the 1 or 3 over the 2 and so on ? Funny how spot Pt has surged last few weeks just in timeline with upcoming releases from mint houses. I waited and got 2011 @ $1792 and could have got $1692 if I waited even longer. Guess what, I’ll be waiting this year into next for same price unless anyone here thinks the Dow is going to continue the upward trend; I certainly do not believe the hype.

One final comment….last I knew the latin alphabet did not, never did, never will have the letter U in its vocabulary. It is V and pronounced U. the motto should be properly spelled
    ” E PLVRIBVS VNVM “.

“Dvlce et decorvm est pro patria mori” Quintvs Horatio Flaccvs

13. vaughnster says

The NA and Presidential dollars always look better in the line drawings than on the actual coin. I agree with the comment about the coin composition mattering on how the design looks. You just can’t beat the look of precious metals. This year’s NA Dollar design would look spectacular on a gold, silver or platinum coin. Could you imagine the design on a reverse proof? That would really stir up some interest. If I can find a few rolls near face I’ll buy them, otherwise I’ll pass and be content with one in a proof set.

I think I rather like how this year’s native American dollar looks, though I will withhold final judgement as others are saying until I get the uncirculated and silver proof sets.

I miss the “direct ship” program. The old way I mean, not the last few months of it’s life where you had to pay a “fulfillment charge”. How I would have loved to spend some of those 2012 Native American dollars acquired at face value!

16. Birdman says

I love the design for the 2012 Native American coin. However, I am very disappointed that the mint has gotten rid of the direct ship payment program. Despite my like for the design, I will not likely purchase any coins at a 10% premium. 10% of my money would just be washed down the drain if i did purchase…..

17. Nate says

I agree that the design is cool but would rather see it on a gold piece. If the NA designs had been issued in 1/4 or 1/2 ounce gold all along that could’ve been a cool series. I’d have preferred it over the FS series which I don’t intend to buy any of.

Browserman,

Taxpayers do not fund the Mint. Coin sales and seigniorage do that. The Mint funds itself that way, including personnel costs. Not only that, but some of the Mint’s profits are used to pay down the national debt, so the Mint actually saves taxpayers money. See last year’s annual report for details. In a way, when you buy coins you are being patriotic and supporting your country’s fiscal health.

19. merryxmasmrscrooge says

d’like to see this design on a 5 oz silver, reckon it’d have good sales

20. jc says

the NA dollar looks good in the photos but i’ll reserve my like or not till i have one in hand. I’ll bet it would be super looking on a 1/2 oz .999 silver coin. I will stay with my standard subscription of one P&D roll.
    Off the subject a bit but is there anyone out there that knows where a person could find the Mints stock number back a few years for their coin sets etc. like the 2011 silver proof set was (SV4)

21. The Dude says

Is the “Mustang” Design of the Native American Dollar only for 2012, or was / is the design going to be used in other years. Attractive coin dudes!

22. Michael in Bama says

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
    United States Mint
    Update to the January 6, 2012, Federal Register Notice on Prices for 2012 Products
    Featuring $1 Coins
    Agency: United States Mint, Department of the Treasury
    ACTION: Notice.
    SUMMARY: On January 6, 2012, the United States Mint announced 2012 prices for nine products
    featuring $1 coins, including a $1 Coin Five-Coin Set, priced at $12.95. This notice is to announce that a
    Presidential $1 Four-Coin Set, priced at $9.95, will be offered instead of the $1 Coin Five-Coin Set. All
    of the other $1 coin products and their prices announced on January 6, 2012, will remain as United States
    Mint offerings. The complete $1 coin product list with prices is as follows:
    Product Retail Price
    Presidential $1 Four-Coin Set
    $9.95
    Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set™
    $9.95
    Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set™ (P&D)
    $16.95
    Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set™
    $18.95
    American Presidency $1 Coin Cover Series
    $19.95
    Native American and Presidential $1 Coin Rolls
    $32.95
    $1 Coin 100-Coin Bags
    $111.95
    $1 Coin 250-Coin Box
    $275.95
    $1 Coin 500-Coin Box
    $550.95
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: B. B. Craig, Associate Director for Sales and Marketing;
    United States Mint; 801 9th Street, NW; Washington, DC 20220; or call 202-354-7500.

23. KEITHSTER says

I see the Chester Arthur Dollar 250 & 500 boxes are up and going on sale at the same time as the rolls