Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coin Design Candidates

The United States Mint has released the design candidate images for the 2016 Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coin. This should represent the final release of the series honoring the former First Spouses of the United States of America.

The design candidates for the Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coin join other previously released design candidates for other 2016 First Spouse Gold Coins. Design candidates for the Ronald Reagan Presidential Dollar can be seen here.

At the present time, Nancy Reagan is still living at the age of 93. When the coins are issued, she may join a small group of individuals who have been portrayed on United States coinage while living. Others have included Alabama Governor T.E. Kilby on the 1921 Alabama Centennial Half Dollar, President Calvin Coolidge on the 1926 Sesquicentennial Half Dollar, Senator Carter Glass on the 1936 Lynchburg Half Dollar, Senator Joseph Robinson on the 1937 Robinson-Arkansas Half Dollar, and Eunice Shriver Kennedy on the 1995 Special Olympics Silver Dollar.

The eleven obverse and nine reverse design candidates for the Nancy Reagan First Spouse Gold Coin can be seen below.

Obverse Design Candidates

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reverse Design Candidates

12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Comments

From my point of view 01 looks like the best candidate for obverse. The reverse however is a bit more difficult. If it were up to me I would choose either 06 or 08, but I like 08 because that could be me plus about 4 years.

2. bob r says

I like 01 obv and 01 rev. The just say no theme is out of place, sounds more like congress.

3. JBK says

Many of the obv. designs are pretty good, and a few don’t look like her.

As for the reverses, I don’t lile most of them. I know the anti-drug campaignwas her big initiative, though. The one with her at RR’s swearingin is interesting – RR could appear on the Prez dollar AND the spouse gold.

@bob r – Much like the current healthy food in schools project of misses Obama… Nancy was the champion of the anti-drug campaign during the 80’s and just say no was a major part of it.

5. Zaz says

Interesting that Mrs. Reagan should choose an older looking portrait of herself. 01 looks probably from the early to mid 90s as the elder calmer former First Lady. 04 is probably closer to the ebullient Nancy of the 1st term. She was pretty heavily involved in the Just Say No campaign so the mint artists could do better than what they’ve shown, there’s plenty of iconography out there.

6. Tinto says

@JBK

And Nancy would be on both the obverse and reverse of the same coin …that would be something …

7. beaver says

4,6,10 and 11 for me. Specially 11! The reverse,they should go back to the drawing. Their hideous choices!!!

8. tito says

Reverse one seems to show that the only thing she has ever done of value is standing next to her man. Having grown up in the 80s I can attest to the power and influence of the “just say no” campaign.

9. Olde Sailor Bill says

Is gold going to creep above 1200 just in time for the release of the Jackie spouse next week ?

10. Tinto says

I iike O1, 6 and 11

The reverse what’s with the hands again …. (at least they’re more masculine that those in Saratoga!) maybe R1

11. JBK says

Tinto: you are right – I don’t know why that did not hit me first. That one reverse design would make her the second (?) person to appear on both sides of the same coin (don’t forget Lincoln Memorial cents – he is on both sides as well).

12. Clark says

All the obverse portraits are winners. Reverse sides need work and miss the opportunity to reflect Mrs. Reagan’s considerable influence on her husband in all matters, as even her critics, like Don Regan, admitted in his “tell all” book. Unlike Jackie O and many other first ladies, Nancy Reagan brought her own career and accomplishments to the White House. She was a force to be reckoned with behind the scenes.

Punctuating Nancy’s effectiveness as first lady are the many years she spent guarding and caring for the President’s as he struggled with Alzheimer’s disease. Loyal to the end. She and Eleanor Roosevelt are my two favorite first spouses.

13. D Rittenhouse says

Boz,
    Your idea to ask Nancy Reagan about which designs she prefers for obverse and reverse of her First Spouse coin is inspired. TreasSec Jack Lew should do exactly that, as well as soliciting her opinion about the Ronald Reagan presidential $1 coin designs. If TreasSec Lew subsequently agrees with Mrs. Reagan’s choices, then the Mint should make a big deal about it, just like it did when Mrs. Kennedy was consulted about the 1964 JFK half-dollar.

14. mgm says

I was looking at a coin in my local coin shop. It has a code on the back “XCLSW”. Does anyone know what it might mean? It’s on an 1883 S double eagle. Any idea on a fair price?

Can anyone help?

Hey gents, this quite simply does not seem right. Why should they let her appear while still alive? That just opens the door for 2 Bush coins, a Clinton, a Carter, and an Obama coin. Why the new precedent? The system is the system……right? Why not just start sculpting them all out right now?

16. JBK says

@ wacpac83 : the answer is in your question: The system is the system.

The law that provided for the Presidential dollar coins laid out very specific requirements for who could be honored. And, with each Pres dollar coin, the spouse coin would also be minted. Reagan qualified for a dollar coin, so Nancy qualified for a gold. Carter, Bushes, etc. do not, and will not, qualify, and so neither will their spouses. This program ends with the Reagan coin., as he is the last eligible President.

JBK, thanks for the input. I appreciate your understanding and knowledge of this law. It is truly an unusual occurrence. It is amazing that the bill writer had this type of vision.

18. Two Cents says

mgm,

That code is most likely the dealer’s way of knowing how much he purchased the coin. Each letter stands for a number (A for 1, B for 2, etc.) or a combination of numbers (like X for .00, Y for .50 or Z for .99). That way he can haggle with the customer on the spot, without referring to a purchase list or trying to remember what he paid for the coin.

Or, the code could signify the lowest price the dealer will accept. That is sometimes done in a larger store with several employees who have the authority to negotiate prices with the customers. But that system is rarely done — It’s way more common that the code represents the purchase price.

Sometimes the dealer will use a 10-letter word (or two 5-letter words) with no repeating letters and assign a number to each letter. Sometimes they just use random letters, which appears to be the case here. If you look at enough coins and compare the retail prices with the codes, you can usually figure out the letter/number combinations. To avoid that, some dealers will use two or more letters for the same number. Or, to further confuse the issue, they may insert an unassigned letter into the code.

Some retail stores do that too. A major store here used to use a 10-letter word in their price code, and they used it to ring up employees’ discounts on the register. They also used it to know how low to go when they decided to put the item on sale. I used to use it to see how much of a discount the sale item was. (Sometimes the SALE sign was up, but there was actually no discount at all.)

19. mgm says

Thanks Two Cents, hopefully the code does read/mean “sucker”… I knew someone would know. Now I have to decide if I’m going to pull the trigger.

mgm

Two Cents says

June 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

mgm,

Boz and DR- That is already happening. I listened to the meeting, and they are in touch with her through her reps, and she definitely is having a say in the designs. Also, the committee recommended lots of changes to the reverses and was not too excited about them as they were.

21. Two Cents says

mgm,

In addition, the first (or last) letter of the code might mean something to the dealer, such as the coin:

— is on consignment
    — is cleaned
    — price depends on the spot price of the precious metal
    — price is not negotiable

If you can crack the code, you will be in the driver’s seat when it comes time to haggle the price. As for a fair price for that 1883-S gold $20, it is a bit of a better date/mintmark, but still relatively common, so unless it is in exceptional grade and/or condition, it’s price should be near the spot price of gold plus perhaps 5-15% premium, depending on grade and eye appeal.

22. D Rittenhouse says

Louis,
    It matters not whether any committee or the Mint contacts Mrs. Reagan. The one and only decider is the TreasSec.

23. SilverHawk357 says

OBV : #1 AND #2 look like computer sims, #2 the same graphic with the head turned to her left. Reminiscing Maxx Headroom. Still, I like #1 and #10 may transfer well to coinage.

REV : Go back to the drawing board and come up with a better “Say No to Drugs” depiction. The hand out palm forward is a link to that “Talk to the Hand” rudeness that did not come into expression until much later.

24. Ikaika says

@ Louis

If I recall, didn’t Jackie Kennedy have input on the half dollar JFK back in the 60’s? The accented hair? I would think Nancy Regan would too on her coin.

25. Jerry Diekmann says

I would agree with Boz – since the lady is still living, let her pick the designs. I think her favorite is O-01, and it is my favorite and also several of you like it too. The reverse probably needs a little more work, but it should have the “Just say no” theme.

26. Jerry Diekmann says

D Rittenhouse – I’m pretty sure that most of our Treasury Secretaries couldn’t care less about coins or coin designs. They consider coinage an insignificant part of their duties and responsibilities. They will listen to the different committees and their recommendations, unless their mind is already made up, like Andrew Mellon’s was for the 1932 Washington quarter design – and we got an inferior design that is still with us over 80 years later. In this particular case, I’m sure that Secretary Lew will listen to Nancy’s preferences, as he should. Can you think of ANY Treasury Secretary who took an ACTIVE role in coin designs? I can’t. It’s just .a law that gives them the authority to approve the final design.

27. Two Cents says

The anti-drug theme is appropriate and important to Mrs. Reagan’s coin. However, there should also be some indication what “Just Say No” or “NO” refers to — otherwise, people who do not know what it represents may be left wondering why this negative element is part of the design. Perhaps a drug icon with a circle and slash mark could drive the point home.

28. Sith says

Not that I’m buying one, but I don’t like the reverses. Some have potential but…

29. gary says

Some nice portraits of Nancy Reagan for the obverse. The Mint artists definitely need to revisit their efforts for the reverse however. Most of the reverse designs I wouldn’t put on a wooden nickel much less a gold coin!
    Back to their digital drawing boards for them.

30. Two Cents says

I was poking around the US Mint’s website and saw that they have posted pics of the High Relief 24K Gold Coin in the 2015 Product Schedule section:

It is denominated as $100, and “will be available for sale in December 2015.” Pretty nice looking coin. The eagle on the reverse really pops out.

No pics yet of the High Relief Silver Medal.

@Two Cents- Great catch! I think it looks great. Remember how so many were so down on this and I said wait and see the actual coin? What is interesting is the face looks different in terms of race or ethnicity.

32. JohnT58 says

Since it is a December release of the HR coin, they will only get to make one production run. It will be interesting to see the details around the mintage numbers and the limits.

33. TMMSR0127 says

Thanks for the link Two Cents…

The coin looks great, I am definitely in for one.

34. gary says

I checked out the pics on the Mint website for the upcoming gold high relief. The eagle looks very good! The figure of Liberty seems to have some awkward proportions. The arm holding the flag appears LONGER and thicker than the arm holding the torch, even allowing for a foreshortened perspective. Her fingers, especially holding the torch, look oversized like a man’s. Both sides of the coin could have used a bit finer detailing to fully take advantage of the extra depth of high relief. Oh well!

35. cagcrisp says

Concerning the 2015 high relief, I was one that liked Many of the designs More than the Obverse chosen. IF you remember it came down to two coins, the one chosen and One I would not have bought with someone else’s money. The Reverse chosen was my #1 choice. The actual coin is much better than the design drawing. I am going to have to put more thought into how I am going to Play this out…

I’m In, just don’t know how much OR what I will take off my list..

36. Larry says

The high relief coin looks nice, but if you zoom in on the eagle it looks really nice. This will be another tough decision. As usual, this coin will probably look much better in person.

37. Two Cents says

I’m not feeling confident that the actual availability date for the HR 24K Gold Coin will be in December.

If you look at all of the other TBD (To Be Determined) products, they all say “available for sale in December 2015.” These include the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set, American Eagle 1-oz Platinum Proof, and the remaining three Coin & Chronicles Sets, plus the High Relief Silver Medal.

It seems unlikely that all of these products will be sold in the same month, especially at the very end of the year. The December notice is probably just a placeholder designation that the Mint used when it set up the individual webpages earlier in the year.

At least I certainly hope so. Otherwise, December will be an EXTREMELY costly month for me — and most people — especially with Christmas shopping coming into play.

38. tito says

I love the look of the coin but probably can’t convince my wife that it’s a necessary purchase since we just bought a house.

39. GoldFishin says

@Gary- good eye gary….”manly yes, but I like it too!”

Couldn’t resist the “Irish Spring” reference. Time stamping myself I guess. I am a sucker for an eagle, especially this one!! It also seems they scaled down just a tad on the enhancements of Miss Lady Liberty. I think it is a nice looking coin and am considering skipping the high mintage Jackie O and instead spending the cash on the HR gold. I can’t afford to do both with all that is coming next year.

40. KCSO says

2 c – good catch! Now I’m hoping the new Miss Lady Liberty will have a wardrobe malfunction like our ’16 Standing gal! Looks promising

Truman C&C set – good luck! – sold out in a day. The two follow ups will be very high demand, therefore first out will command the day

I see one big F’n train wreck coming in the New Year, smells like setting the stage for good times to come

41. A Bob says

Can anyone make out the initials on the ultra high relief? I’m interest in knowing who designed both side before the press release.

42. Two Cents says

Sorry for going off topic on the off topic, but does anyone know if the plastic card of the Presidential Dollar Coin & First Spouse Medal Set is the same size as the card for the ATB Quarters 3-Coin Set?

43. Two Cents says

A Bob,

On the obverse, the initials are JK and PH.

On the reverse, the initials are PCB and DE.

44. Barry says

Anyone know if the Jackie O gold coin mintage is 30k combined mintage or 30k for the proof and 30k for the unc ? Thank you in advance for responding.

45. A Bob says

Most likely Justin Kunz designed the obverse and Paul Balan the awesome eagle reverse. The others are the engravers.

46. Two Cents says

Barry — the Jackie Kennedy gold coin has 30,000 max mintage for both Unc. and Proof.

Stuart — As far as anyone outside the Mint knows, the mintage for the 24K HR Gold coin is unknown at this point. Maybe even the Secretary of the Treasury hasn’t made up his mind yet. I venture a guess that it will be minted to demand for at least a one-year period.

If you recall in 2009, the UHR Gold Double Eagle was at first limited to one per household when sales began in January. In July, the limit was raised to 10 per household, and in August the limit was further raised to 20. By September there was no limit in the number of coins that could be ordered. There was never mention of a maximum mintage, and whoever wanted one could order one (or a hundred) from the Mint.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think the Mint stopped sales in January 2010, about one year after they began sales in 2009.

Taking into consideration that this is the first coin in a proposed new gold series that will emphasize creative and artistic designs, I believe that the Secretary of the Treasury and the US Mint will want as many people as possible to purchase this coin so that there will be demand for future coins (and silver medals) in the series.

47. Tinto says

I might just go with the silver medal …. wonder what finish it would have … hopefully proof ..

I just want to make sure I have enough for 2016 … and if the Mint does continue the HR gold sales into 2016 I might revisit then …

Barry – historical trend lends itself to 65/35 % split, or 19.5k Prf and 10.5k Unc (assuming full mintage), which is more inline with the:

2007 Dolley Madison at 12,340 Unc, 17,943 Prf = 30,283; then they went into a tail-spin.

Prov finally is offering a capsule for the 2 oz Privateer

GF – what’s up Bro? Hey, here’s a thought…, it’s June and guess what’s been missing thus far this year? Along the lines of announcements and timing..?

It’s June, soon to be August, and we haven’t heard peep out of the mint as to what ‘surprise’ may be install for Chicago! Hmmmm….., what could it be? Thinking here that the ‘HR Hottie’ may show before December… 😉

A little over a day ago, I’m standing on Omaha Beach, and had this thought. We should really cease-fire with all these one-off, feel good but really too late, special military commemoratives

What we should really mint on the reverse of our circulating coinage is a tribute to each invasion beach this country had to take by storm to re-establish freedom, so next time someone has an issue with America, you can say, “oh looky here at this coin, might this be the reason you’re able to speak you’re native tongue., and them, and them, oh and here’s some more lucky souls that can….” You get my point.

Would serve as a lasting tribute of heroism, sacrifice, and valor…, Lord knows we need a lot more of that within the ‘gen pop’ (general population) over here anymore… Land of the sheep.

A question for my coin friends: Do you think the eagle on the UHR liberty coin looks like the Mercanti wedge tailed eagle? And wouldn’t this have been a great new reverse for the silver eagle as originally proposed?

52. GoldFishin says

Yes Louis they are somewhat similar both in proportion and design. You could basically superimpose the head and upper neck area over one another. The plumage depth of detail and sizing are also very similar. However, the Wedge Tail is a much more powerfully portrayed bird. It looks like it has eaten well and has a larger breast area that shows its strength. Additionally, the representation of the open talons in the stages of grasping its landing perch also exudes strength of purpose and direction. You can just imagine this bird powerfully overwhelming its prey.
    I like the UHR reverse very much and think it would have been a suitable reverse for any proposed new ASE design. It is a tremendous image that represents beauty, stealth, peace, and freedom. But of the two eagle designs, I think the Mercanti Wedge Tail is hard to surpass.

Ok, while I think the HR coin looks better than I expected… the right arm and hand look like they need a bit more work before I’d put it on a coin. I think someone already mentioned the fingers/hands which don’t look right to me either.

The face is really nicely done though – very striking image.

54. GoldFishin says

@Louis- I meant to type HR liberty reverse in that last paragraph. If I am not mistaken this is not going to be a UHR coin, unless things have changed.

55. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- going good here, thank you……I wrote a rather detailed response to your last post, but decided against posting it in this forum. Suffice it to say that I feel your angst about the direction we are traveling and am praying for a turnaround. I am taking the glass half full approach while hoping the drought we are experiencing doesn’t evaporate the remaining water. Symbolically speaking of course.

Your idea about an early release for the HR coin could be a very real possibility, but who knows? I would rather have it released earlier, as I may not have the money come year end tax payment time. As Keithster would say, good luck to us all>>>

GF- Thanks. I agree on the eagle, and yes, I believe it is going to be HR rather than UHR. They wanted to make it with a larger diameter, and doing a UHR would have made it smaller like the 2009 coin.

57. Clark says

If he could, think President Reagan would choose obverse image 06-C because it is closer to Nancy’s age at the time he was President. Image 06-C is based on a photo taken of Mrs. Reagan in 1983 (according to Wikipedia) and would be more appropriate than images of her after she was no longer first lady. Now if they could only depict her red dress… .

The 06-C choice would be similar to selecting the younger image of Jackie O and not her countenance later in life, like this one of her in 1987: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/meeting-jackie-onassis-and-rudolf-noureev-1987-lors-dune-news-photo/162736614

58. cagcrisp says

What a difference a week makes. For Months I had planned on buying a few Jackie’s next week, however, with viewing the HR I am now thinking similar to GF.

I knew that 2016 would be difficult with all the good Gold offering. Now with less than a week before Jackie’s FS coin I may not be in at all.

As I have said before there is only so many people that buy Gold offerings and when you have two or More offerings vying for Gold dollars there will be Winners and Losers.

In my mind, the Jackie FS just lost some luster to the HR.

59. bobo says

The HR Liberty coin looks fantastic. Well done USmint. Her arms look just fine to me. I like that Liberty is gorgeous and looks asiatic or native American. And the eagle looks classic. How am I going to be able to afford all these great gold coins coming up in the next year?

I like the 01 reverse because I knew a lady who knew the Reagan’s from southern Illinois, and she said Nancy had everything to do with Ron running and she was behind the whole thing. He was basically her puppet and she told him what to do. He was a great man and had a great sense of humor and in no way do I mean disrespect to him, as we all know behind every great man is a great woman. Happy Father’s Day to all the father’s out there!

61. Dave SW FL says

Ok, I’m in for my 1st HR coin with the beautiful rendition of Lady Liberty! I do have to agree with those commenting on perspective of the hands…the torch seems to be as big as her forearm and she would have to have really looong fingers to wrap around the torch that far. Nice to see she’s been working out – nice biceps definition. Face is a winner. Shape & gown – perfect.

And that eagle is exceptional.

Bye bye Jackie……hello Lady Liberty!

62. Two Cents says

That is an interesting thought — that people will forgo the Jackie Kennedy gold coin for the HR gold. I wonder how much of a cut in sales that will be?

On another note, does anyone know if the plastic card of the Presidential Dollar and First Spouse Medal Set is the same size as the ATB Quarter 3-Coin Set?

63. Tinto says

@Two Cents

And I wondered why they put the $100 denomination when originally it was $75. Perhaps they wanted to keep the gold Kennedy as the only $75 (for now) and its sales going.

They did tremendously improve Liberty’s features it is now quite beautiful to me but my pocket is somewhat barren and for now I will have to limit myself to the silver medal. I hope they make it in proof or maybe enhanced unc. finish.

64. KCSO says

Cag, I hear ya, with Chicago 6 weeks away (post-Jackie), it could get real interesting if the HR drops.
    To your point, I would rather see the HR as a direct competitor to the ’16 offerings than Jackie, though the RP C&C sets with IKE & JKF may be enough to whither demand.

I would expect to see an incremental release by Quarter for the ’16 Classics starting soon after the NY, so if the HR were to drop in December resulting in strong competition and exhausted wallets, you my friend may be a very happy gold collector, just thinking out loud here…

Louis, I spent some time just looking at the eagle for a while and letting it soak in, here’s my impression; I think the Mercanti Wedge Tailed eagle is a good design of a beautiful bird landing, which is what the Australian Mint wanted because they are very proud of their wildlife, nothing more. You could say that the 2015 eagle is a remake of the Saint-Gaudens design, except for the fact that the eagle is not carrying an olive branch, but it IS ascending like the 2015 design. If the 2015 design is used for a new generation eagle, it would be a departure from the former of nurturing eagle design. So we would now have a rising eagle, a nurturing eagle, and finally a peace seeking eagle.

66. A Bob says

With a total montage of 30k, the Jackies will be around for a while. Plent of time to pick that up.
    Big mistake releasing the HR image just before the launch of the Jackie coin though.

67. Tinto says

@cagcrisp

Ooops thanks I am mixing it up with the 3/4 ounce … I think the heat’s getting to me (broken AC)

@Louis – same …

68. D Rittenhouse says

Tinto said:
    Ooops thanks I am mixing it up with the 3/4 ounce …

The Mint has issued only a single 3/4 ounce coin, ever, and its face value was 50¢ and I am unaware of any other 3/4 ounce coin planned by the Mint.

Not sure what you’re talking about.

69. Tinto says

@D Rittenhouse

You should realize that the Kennedy gold is a 3/4 ounce …. i.e. 0.75 ounce ….. and that is where 75 dollars came from … but you’re just out to put people in bad light …and be sort of a corrector/moderator in this blog…… so it probably went way over your head

70. KCSO says

The way the Stars & Bars are shown on HR on the mint’s website and the general lack of detail WRT to finish, Is there any possibility that it might end up enhanced?

There’s no reference to finish anywhere on the mint’s website..,

71. D Rittenhouse says

Tinto said:

Now you’ve really lost me, since the Mint has never issued a $75 dollar coin in any weight.

72. D Rittenhouse says

KCSO said:
    The way the Stars & Bars are shown on HR on the mint’s website …

The likelihood that the Stars and Bars will ever be depicted on the Mint’s website is exactly ZERO.

73. GoldFishin says

I for one hope that they Do Not enhance the HR coin. I think it will be enough to have raised stars and alternating bars and PLEASE do not mess with the dress. Enhancement would ruin lady liberty’s attire. Enhancement does make for better grades, but not necessarily a better coin. Just my 2c.

KCSO, That would be interesting if the coin turns out to be enhanced, but this coin in the picture shows no sign of it. One thing that I did notice about the coin photo is the “photo shop” done to it. Check out the shadow added to the flag on the right side of the fold, almost touching the rim. They apparently are trying to make up for a lack of depth in the image. You won’t see that on the coin in hand.

75. Two Cents says

The HR 24K Gold Coin image looks to be Unc. instead of Proof. The stripes seem to be alternately dark and light, so maybe there is some enhancement going on, unless like Dustyroads says, there is some photo-manipulated shading going on.

I like this coin. I didn’t expect it to look this nice, and wasn’t going to buy it, but now I will. The only disappointment is the box — too bad there isn’t some kind of wooden case for it, like the one for the 2009 UHR Double Eagle, or even the Buffalo Gold Proof $50. Hopefully, after the third or fifth year into the series, the Mint will come out with a 3-coin or 5-coin wooden case as an accessory.

Have they ever said what the diameter of the coin will be? I am assuming it will be the same size as the current American Eagle Gold $50.

76. Two Cents says

By the way, I don’t think KCSO meant the Confederate Flag when he mentioned “the Stars & Bars.”

77. cagcrisp says

@Two Cents, I’m with you. For somewhere in the $1,700 range, you NEED a better presentation box.

Come On Man (Mint)…

I wanna be rich and buy a 1 oz UHR gold and flip it at a bar and spin it around and toss it up in the air and not care. I remember seeing a baseball player get off the casino boat with his gal and a security guard and he was carrying a bank bag full of money. What is it like to have unlimited cash?

The UH8 looks like a MS coin. Are they using different finishes like the Marshall?

80. Two Cents says

cagcrisp,

Yeah, the First Spouse Gold ½-oz. coins come in a nice wooden presentation box, and even the run-of-the-mill American Eagle Gold proof coins (1-oz. thru 1/10 oz.) come in a bookshelf-type case. For a unique high-relief gold coin, you would think the case would be just as good looking as the coin. Unless they haven’t decided on the case yet, nor have a sample mock-up available, so they just used a generic case for the photo.

fmtransmitter,

From what they’ve released so far, no mention of what the finish will be, but from the posted image, it does look to be Unc. What we do know is that it is a 1-oz., .9999 fine gold coin, minted at West Point, dated and to be released in 2015. Apparently, it is the first of a proposed yearly series of unique gold coins (and silver medals) showcasing creative and artistic designs.

fm says, What is it like to have unlimited cash?

It means you would have the most ability to help this world, as far as cash is concerned.

Money as the sole ambition has no value. Habeeb Akande

82. KCSO says

2 Cents – you would be correct Sir; there are those out here that apply their own context, interpretation and/or judgement to the trivial and take it in an entirely different direction, gets annoying.

83. D Rittenhouse says

KCSO said:

Yeah, we get it that the image of Liberty on the upcoming high-relief gold coin reminds you of a black woman (Janet Jackson). Your racism is becoming tiresome.

84. Tinto says

@D Rittenhouse

Hmm. I don’t have to spell it out any further especially if you’re acting dumb, Rotten dumb …that is

DR, KCSO speaks with a lot of sarcasm, I suspect he’s giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. You can read between the lines, but your offended and lashing out. Let it rest.

This is what he said in context referring to the Liberty:

KCSO says

June 20, 2015 at 8:14 pm

86. D Rittenhouse says

Dustyroads,
    Although you might be content to tolerate the crude and lewd insinuations expressed by KCSO (AKA Keep Calm & Stack On), this blog’s owner should not.

87. cagcrisp says

@D Rittenhouse, You are at the TOP of the LIST of people (Troll in your case) that should be kicked off this board. IF we played Family Feud you would be the Number #1 answer ….BY FAR…

88. TMMSR0127 says

KCSO:

I read your comment and I see nothing racist about it at all.

It is beyond a stretch to refer to your comment as being racist. It is pure nonsense.

Life experience has taught me the following:

Just as true Alcoholics deny and deflect their dependence on alcohol.

And just as true Pedophiles deny and deflect their attraction to children.

A true Racist’ will deny and deflect being a Racist.

There is only one poster on this blog that I find to be outrageous, offensive, boisterous, and tolerant of “crude and lewd” insinuations, and that poster is certainly not Dustyroads.

Mt deepest sincere hope is that KCSO’s heart is in the right place. Based on what he said, I see no reason to rush to judgment and make assumptions. All ethnicities have faults, but handling our emotions with violent acts will fail to promote any good thing. The only clear path to a better tomorrow is with understanding, friendship, and lots of patience.

90. Jerry Diekmann says

OT for Nancy Reagan, but the new gold coin (or is it a medal – it does have a value, so maybe it’s really a coin) really looks to be a winner. Both obverse and reverse are just beautiful! Now, with the Jackie coin, this coin, the 1916 Centennial coins next year, plus gold coins for the national parks and Mark Twain, I’m not sure that many of us will have the dollars to buy one of each. My solution – strike the 2016 centennial coins in silver only, not gold. I actually think they would look better (and certainly more natural) if they were minted in the same metal they were 100 years ago. Platinum or even palladium would be better than gold, IMO.

91. achmed says

to be within topic: I would prefer the 2016 centennial coins in GOLD. And many collectors in Europe will buy the gold coins because they can purchase them without paying VAT. And by the way: The HR gold coin 2015 will be released 23rd of July !!! see usmint website

92. Jerry Diekmann says

Just my opinion, but let’s leave racism OT forever. The Civil War ended 150 years ago this year (no commem coin!), and the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 19th amendments made all persons, regardless of gender or race, free from slavery, citizens of this country, and with the right to vote. A total of 620,000 men died during the Civil War, and the issues of states rights and discriminatory laws against certain people have been decided once and for all, on the battlefield, with Constitutional amendments, and rulings from the courts. We are a better country now than we were before the “War Between the States”, and the union that Abraham Lincoln wanted so desperately to preserve has continued in existence. We need to put racial hatred behind us – it demeans the haters and the principles of this country we are all part of. Now, on to coins!