Opening Day JFK Gold Coin Sales Reach 56,694

The United States Mint has provided the first day sales figure for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Proof Coin. Already exceeding the initial production quantity, orders across all channels have reached 56,694 coins.

finished

A breakdown of sales by channel was provided as follows:

• Online/Call Center Sales: 54,825
  • ANA: 493
  • Mint Headquarters: 376
  • Philadelphia: 500
  • Denver: 500

For the start of sales, the Mint had indicated an initial inventory of 40,000 coins produced that would be made available across the various sales channels. After evaluating the first week of sales activity, the Mint indicated that they would make adjustments to its production schedule accordingly.

Ultimately, the coins do not carry a specific mintage limit and will be produced to demand.

In addition to lengthy wait times experienced in the US Mint website’s “online waiting room,” there was a scramble to acquire the limited number of coins that were made available at retail locations. Many readers shared their experiences ordering online or attempting to acquire the coins in person at the four locations in more than 500 comments added to yesterday’s post.

One reader also shared some photos form the ANA convention were an estimated 1,100 people had lined up for a chance to purchase one of the 500 available coins. These have been included in a separate Coin Update article.

It was also reported that the first four 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Proof Coins had been sold for $20,000 plus four replacement coins from further down the line.

Also, Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) has certified the first six of the gold half dollars. The first coin carries a designation of “1st Coin Sold – Chicago” and was graded PCGS PR70DCAM. The second, third, and fourth coins were also graded PR70DCAM. The fifth and six coins received a grade of PR69DCAM.

Comments

1. VA Rich says

PCGS – Clad Set –

67 – 114
    66 – 79
    65 – 7
    Total – 217

2. A&L Futures says

@ VA Rich,

Do these figures represent PCGS Population figures for the Chicago ANA label?

3. VA Rich says

67 – 8
    66 – 4
    65 – 1
    64 – 1
    Total -17

4. Pittsburgh P says

A&l I think they are for the special clad set …

VaRich I know it says to disregard but do the numbers just need correcting are they totally wrong numbers? If they’re closed no 70s or 69s? I knew there would be fewer but none?

5. gary says

@PittP… I bailed on my 12:26 1 coin purchase only to see if I can get the one in OGP that I intend to keep if the price of gold dips enough or much later in the aftermarket on Ebay or at a local coin show where Ebay markups aren’t always present. I hope that everyone on this blog does well with the gold Kennedy coins they ordered from the Mint whether to keep for themselves or to flip. However, I WOULD like to see the big dealer-speculator-slab flippers take a bath on this one. Why? Because their crap only serves (in the long view) to really hurt the hobby of modern coin collecting. I remember so well what these big dealers did with the one and only batch of 2010 ATB bullion pucks in Dec. 2010. That crash-and-burn event severely crippled the ATB series launch so badly that it assured the low interest in the series (on top of silver’s 50% tanking).

6. VA Rich says

A&L – don’t know, that break out isn’t showing as of yet. Can’t seem to find the #’s for the gold, so perhaps not.

7. A&L Futures says

@ VA Rich,

There was a “close-up” of the first six coins PCGS certified on day one. Perhaps if you can zoom-in on that photo you’ll be able to make out the PCGS Certification number. Doing so will allow you to add it to your PCGS Registry (if only temporarily) to pull the latest pop figure for the gold offering. (just a thought)

8. Pittsburgh P says

Gary good luck… I do see your point about the big boys- they are the same as almost all corporations in every feild. Since these particular big boys do seem to pose a threat to hobby most here love I do see where your coming from…

9. longarm says

Thanks to everyone that shared actual info on the JFK gold debut, I enjoyed reading your comments. I now think that there’s more people out there that enjoy coin collecting and the thrill of getting a new, never before, one of a kind coin. After the circus of the bhof release and the quick buck mentality that followed, I can understand why very few appreciate this coin for what it is. I myself have alot of “skin in the game” that means I measure my silver and gold holdings in lbs. not ozs. I consider myself strong hands, because I do not sell, I have ALL my coins safely tucked away. We as a nation are facing what I believe are going to be hard times down the road, so prepare now and try to ignore these quick buck clowns and actually acquire some of these beautiful coins. Good luck to all

Notice how these mainstream media reports give out false info. like saying there is a limited # of coins, or in another case, they said 40K and that’s it. Wrong!

11. VA Rich says

Dusty – ’13 AUDCS in its third day of walking that lonely path out the door – 8/22 now.

12. VA Rich says

Louis – I’d feel safer in Denver now knowing that there’s soldiers there! LMAO at that, had to watch it 3 times

13. gary says

Yes Louis, mainstream media reports are not reports at all. Just quick &careless “journalism” further filtered and reduced to quick bites of news. Real journalism is an endangered species on the brink of extinction.

14. Jon in CT says

Louis wrote on August 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM:

Well, the mainstream media in Denver and Philly are almost certainly dealing with local Mint spokesmen, who themselves might not be completely up to speed on this particular Mint product since neither plant produces it. And if the mintage for this Kennedy gold coin is not unlimited (true), then by definition there must ultimately be only a limited number of coins. And, of course, Mint HQ contributes to the murk. Can there possibly be a more complicated way to explain how many of these coins the Mint intends to produce than what is present on the product page for the Kennedy gold coin? The Mintage Limit: heading says See “Program” and yet when you read “Program” you still don’t know what the Mintage Limit is. I mean everyone lurking here hangs on every word the Mint utters and yet nobody here has a clear idea of how many of these coins the Mint intends to produce.

15. VA Rich says

More of an FYI for those that watch the kitco charts – the 1 Year Gold London Fix PM Daily with 14 and 200-day moving averages curves finally have necked up to one another for a second time this year

16. VA Rich says

gary – if you’re the gary from last year that collects PT, where do you gold 6 / 12 months from now?

17. Bob R says

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are contacting you regarding the order you placed for the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Gold Commemorative Coin(s).

Because of overwhelming demand, orders reached the combined production limit of 50,000 for the gold coins very quickly. The United States Mint did, however, accept a limited number of orders that were placed on a waiting list. We took these orders in an effort to allow as many customers as possible the opportunity to purchase the coins. Waiting list orders are not guaranteed and are only fulfilled if inventory becomes available in the event of returns or cancellations.

Although you may have received an order confirmation and various backorder communications, these should not have been taken as a guarantee that your order would be fulfilled. While we did fulfill orders as inventory became available, we can now confirm that your order will not be fulfilled because of depleted inventory.

We sincerely regret the miscommunication and apologize for the confusion surrounding your waiting list order. While this may be of little consolation to you at this point, please be assured that the United States Mint is working aggressively to implement a new order management system later this year that will prevent these kinds of problems in the future.

We hope you will continue to support the United States Mint’s numismatics programs.

Sincerely,

United States Mint

18. Kraw says

Does anyone have a guess as to what time I would have to get in line at the World’s Fair of Money to get a coin on Saturday morning? I see the lines the first couple days were crazy, but was wondering if it is dying down?

Any help is welcome.

19. Pittsburgh P says

Yeah the mainstream media only goes off what they are told. You think they’d do some research. I’m kind of surprised they are even covering it it…

Keep cancelling guys & gals… If the Mint see a huge amount of cancellations and they are able to fulfil all or most of the orders with the first 40,000 then imo there would be a possibility of them pulling the plug on these sooner than later.

Personally I like seeing the cancellations & am looking forward to the actual sales numbers… As for all the negativity about these coins – I wouldn’t let their opinions sway how you feel about em – If you have or are on the fence it is possible you didn’t like or want the coin in the first place.

20. smiledon says

For what it is worth, the US Mint asked the facebook followers what they could do to be better. I choose to not answer because other people posted a lot of what you people here complain about. So if the Mint is listening, maybe we may see some real changes.

21. Jon in CT says

Kraw wrote on August 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM:

Any help is welcome.

Sorry, but I don’t have a good guess for you, but let me point you to a cautionary tale posted this morning on the Mint’s Facebook page.

22. Chris Lehr says

Officially cancelled my order. Makes no sense if they aren’t limiting mintage to pay a $300 premium over spot. If I spent $1240 on 1/10 eagles, I’d still have more Au.

I’m like Pittsburg P, KEEP cancelling. For me Personally, This roll out is going just the way that I had hoped. NOW Mint do the right thing and cut the sales off Before sales are just a dribble.

I’ve said from the beginning, It’s much harder to Flip a $1,240.00 coin than a $50 coin…

Breaking News:

The United States Mint plans to issue a 2015 Reverse Proof Proof set in addition to a standard 2015 regular Proof set containing coins with multiple finishes, according to J. Marc Landry, the Mint’s acting associate director for sales and marketing.

25. Kraw says

Thanks for the posts. I think I am not going to be in line for those coins in Chicago. I happened to be having a trip there this weekend, but sounds like it’s too big business and crazy people!

26. Jon in CT says

Chris Lehr wrote on August 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM:

You’d end up with less gold if you spent $1240 at the Mint on proof 1/10 oz gold eagles. But why let logic stand in the way of what you want to do?

27. gary says

@Jon_ I had to laugh because I also noticed that convoluted jargon on the Mint’s product page for the Gold Kennedy. Obviously this (or any other mint offering) is in reality “limited”, to be sure! The U.S. Mint’s policy is to be obsequiously vague as seems to be true with most agencies in federal and state government. So you just have to make purchase decisions on the bowl of steam of information you have just been fed. The news media then takes that bowl of steam of info and winnows it down into the tidbits of “news” you get on mainstream and social media.

28. Chris Lehr says

@Jon in CT.. I didn’t say proofs. Random date BU’s at APMEX are 150 each.

1240/150 = 8.2, so I would be able to buy 0.8 ounces of Au, which is greater than .75 ounces of Au.

29. Jon in CT says

Chris Lehr wrote on August 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM:

@Jon in CT.. I didn’t say proofs.

Gotcha — apples vs. oranges.

Bullion gold has no numismatic value. Try selling gold bullion to APMEX, Provident, or Gainesville and see if they will give you spot for it.

31. JagFan says

Off Topic – Looks like the Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles set has sold out. They only sold 15K plus units…

32. Pittsburgh P says

OT- Thanks for all the input about browser’s guys. I had Chrome already downloaded and started playing around with it this morning & it’s 100x faster than IE. Crazy…. Now Just need to figure out how to transfer all my favorites and passwords. Thanks again!

Pitt: Chrome will do it automatically…Just goto settings…It asks if you would like to import everythng from IE. You got this…

34. Jon in CT says

JagFan wrote on August 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM:

Thanks for the heads-up. That was an unusual (with .999 silver medal) and pricey ($57.95) product.

I also notice that the 2013 Presidential Discovery Set – Theodore Roosevelt (TR9) is nearing the first anniversary of its initial issue on September 3, 2103. It has a very modest price of $9.95 and fewer than 6,000 sets have been sold so far.

35. Blair J Tobler says

I got the TR Coin and Chronicles Set – it’s a really nice looking set – they did a great job on it and I’m surprised it didin’t do better. I got the Discovery set too, but since it’s geared towards youngsters, it doesn’t have the same eye-appeal.

This”evaluation” by the Mint has more to do with packaging purchases than it does with the coin itself. It cost a heck of a lot more to buy the boxes, print the COA’s etc than it does to stamp a blank coin. THAT is the reason for the evaluation and supposed secrecy behind mintgae levels. Like anything, the more you buy, the cheaper it gets, soooo if the Mint knows it WILL sell say 100k Gold Kennedy’s, they can go ahead and order the boxes from China and get the ball rolling. The logisitical problems remain in the packaging, the Mint pumps out billions of coins so that is never an issue.

My RC&C has TWO silver coins in it making it even more pricey! I gladly give away paper Fed notes for silver all the time and will continue to do as long at makes ME happy…:)

38. tmbz says

The mint only started taking orders for the Gold Kennedy yesterday, and according to their site, they won’t be available for delivery until September 10. So how could PCGS already have graded them? The orders were only accepted yesterday. No one has the coins yet. How can they certify a coin that isn’t even out yet?

I’m getting quite a chuckle out of the folks saying they are canceling the orders they made only 24 short hours ago. I’m curious of the reason. Are they afraid their “investments” won’t double in value over night? Are they making a principled stand against the dealers (not really)? Do they believe they will get it cheaper (from those same loathed dealers or flippers) in the future? I believe it is the first reason, though I doubt many would admit it.

The golden rule to coin collecting: It has been said over and over on this site and others, “buy the coins you like”. If one can’t afford it, why play the game to begin with. If your playing with numbers to make up your mind for you based off what may or may not happen, you are not really buying what you like, you’re buying what you hope someone else will like, but is to uniformed to buy from the Mint.

I’m in coins for the long haul, I don’t care what tomorrows price for a coin are. I fully realize some coins I purchase might not make money 20 years from now. I predict the gold JFK will have a high mintage, but wouldn’t be at all upset if they stopped today. I’m actually glad weak hands are dropping orders. Collectors need these coins in strong hands to assure them a strong future demand, be it for yourself or your kids, or grand kids. The merits of this gold JFK have been mentioned many times. Plenty of first’s, it has much going for it, not least of which is it is a popular design and subject, not unlike the 2009 UHR. One can listen to the speculators, or the judge the coins merits and personal likes/dislikes then make up their minds.

40. Clark says

Thanks, JagFan. The Teddy Roosevelt set was very well done IMO and is now relatively rare at only 15,000 or so sold. I bought three just for the silver medals, but didn’t want to break the box up after I saw what a great set it made.

Isn’t it ironic that the 2009 Lincoln Chronicles set sold out 50,000 units in the first 30 hours with a strict one per household ordering limit, yet the 2013 T Roosevelt set, with no production or household limits, sold only 15,000 in under 8 months? The latter is the phenomenon that many here hope for JFK golds. I don’t think it will be the case, but I’d like to see it happen.

41. simon says

At this moment the newly released Kennedy .075 oz gold half-dollar coin (K15) is not found on the Mint catalog’s “What’s New” product list

It is at the very bottom of the list -scroll down

Clark – I believe the big difference was the Lincoln CC set had all coins in it, where as the TR CC had only the relatively unpopular golden dollar, and the rest medals. Had the Mint created a special silver dollar commem, the TR CC set sales would have been on par with the Lincoln set.

43. Pittsburgh P says

Va Bob I have wondered the same thing & have said as much-Well said.

.075 oz of gold for 1240$…
    Melt value of 98.54$ as of now.
    Too funny!

44. stephen m says

@fmxmitter, I decided to sit the gold Kennedy out but will get one later, graded, if the aftermarket price tanks as some here predict it will. Spent my money on the BBhof gold and silver, without regret, to have and to hold. I would like for the boxes and packaging to start being made in the USA for our US Mint coins if they are indeed made in foreign lands.

45. Clark says

VaBob–What you say is absolutely true. Although they made a complete set, coins in the Lincoln set were available a la carte and, consequently, the set has only a nominal premium today. I’m just saying that with a relatively low mintage of 15K, the T Roosevelt medals (and sets) are now somewhat rare and, therefore, collectable. A silver dollar commem would have been awesome, however, I don’t believe the Mint has made a lot of silver medals. I am very biased because I love silver coins…and nicely minted medals.

46. Philboy says

With everybody bailing on these Kennedy Gold coins, it might be a good idea to get them and perhaps keep them. #1 rule in investing is do the opposite of what “everybody” else does.

47. Clark says

Clarification on collecting medals: I love silver medals, not all medals. As one of the few die hard collectors of first spouse golds since ’07, I insanely felt it necessary also to collect spouse bronze medals in higher MS grades in order to own the “complete” spouse series. I’ve been able to keep up with the collection, but it has been neither easy or pleasant. If you think the spouses are butt ugly, try looking at them magnified a few times.

48. SLinNJ says

So anybody know if there were still lines at the Philly mint this morning? Any predictions on lines for tomorrow?

Thanks PP. People need to look at the high mintage coins that are (still) popular and ask themselves why that is the case. In every instance it is because of the popularity of the design (2001 Buff, 2009 UHR, 2014 BHoF), not necessarily the subject.

Too many follow the low mintage example for guidance. History has proven that to be risky, at least in the short term with some exceptions. The Jackie Robinson is one of these examples, few wanted it now it is valuable because no one wanted it. Then you have artificial rarities. The 96 W ASE would not be so valuable now if it wasn’t packaged with that years gold offerings and sold separately. I passed on that because at the time it was out of reach finically. Now you have the First Spouses gold coins. Low mintages, but will they be the next Jackie Robinsons? I hope so for the folks that stuck with them. I was unemployed when the series started so spared the ups and downs that came with those issues.

So my advice (take it or leave it as you wish) to all would be to follow the first method, especially if you have limited collecting funds, or are unsure of what direction you want to go. Buy the popular designs. Some have said the JFK would be popular mostly with people alive during that time and not appeal to younger collectors. Would they say the same about the St, Gaudens design (the UHR) or the Fasier design (Buff)? No, of course not. And the beauty of it all is mintage really doesn’t play a huge role in these success as a collectable.

Special Update: 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin

The United States Mint announced today that it has all the necessary raw materials to initially produce 75,000 John F. Kennedy Gold Proof Half-Dollars. The Mint will continue to procure additional raw materials in order to fulfill all demand for this product.

“The Mint is very proud to have produced over 40,000 of these beautiful coins,” said Deputy Director Dick Peterson. “We will continue to produce 6000 of the coins per week for the next several weeks and continue to assess demand. We are committed to maximizing access to these products,” Peterson said.

The United States Mint also announced it has suspended sales of the John F. Kennedy Gold Proof Half Dollar at its three retail locations—Philadelphia, Denver and Washington, D.C.—after Aug. 7. The Mint made this decision to ensure the safety of those wanting to purchase the coin and the safety of its own employees. The retail locations will remain open for the purchase of other United States Mint products.

The sale of John F. Kennedy Gold Proof coins at the World’s Fair of Money in Rosemont, Ill. will continue as planned. Customers interested in purchasing the coin are encouraged to visit the Mint’s website (www.usmint.gov) or contact the call center (1-800-USA-MINT), where they can purchase up to five coins per household.

Clark – Oh I’m with you brother. I like the medals too. But I have to say they aren’t good (for now anyway) for those investing or flipping. The Mint has the silver Wildlife series, the 9/11, and now the TR medals, all losers on the secondary markets. But I have all of these (and quite a few bronzes, too) because I like them. No delusions that they will ever appreciate above their melt value. But the CC’s are generally well put together. I wish the Mint would do more of them.

The FS comment “under magnification” gave me quite a laugh. Not many “lookers” among the First Ladies, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. You’re almost there with the FS’s, hang in there. It will be a awesome collection to view all together. I do have to say that I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes when it comes time to sell (if you ever do). I’d probably go with a Heritage auction and let one of the big boys take the whole thing at once. It’d be heartbreaking to sell piecemeal.

To me the Mint is saying, we have 40,000 made and initially we have raw material for up to 75,000. Production of 6,000 per week. UNLESS something Drastically Changes, there will not be more than 75,000 minted…

Cag – so that means it’s going to take the rest of the month to just fulfill the first days orders (minus cancelations), if they stick with striking 6000 a week. One would hope since they have 30,000 (after the first 40K) on hand they would expedite those initial orders. The 6000 piece batches at a time seems a good safe number for the Mint so they don’t over strike.

54. Pittsburgh P says

I hope so Cag! That’d be nice… They have what’s needed to produce 35,000 more @ 6000 a week until 75,000 is about 6 weeks. I said it earlier if people keep cancelling and say all orders are fullfiled out of the first 40,000 maybe when they assess demand after week 1 they’ll just shut it down.

@VA Bob, I guess the Wildcard is just how many Cancellations we have. The shipping dates have mostly been moved backwards so either there are a LOT of cancellations OR the shipping dates are Wrong OR a combination of the two.

6,000 per week. Is that what they initially thought demand would be? If there is more sold than 6,000/week then wait times could Really add up..

Less just say the 56K was accurate and let’s just guess a NET of 10k have been sold After Tuesday. If that is the case then the Mint is already 4 weeks behind.

Cag – I have a feeling you’re going to be disappointed. Look at the bright side, the 1909 S Lincoln cent, originally minted as a commemorative to celebrate 100 yr. anniversary of Lincolns birthday, had a 484,000 mintage. People lined up outside the banks to get one. IMO you won’t have anything to worry about with the JFK. And I’m not particularly a big JFK (the man) fan. He did implement tax on savings interest after all. Although many of his speeches would garner “boo’s” from his party today, so, hard to say.

57. joseph says

jeff says
    AUGUST 6, 2014 AT 11:16 PM

I have a bad feeling many are going get hurt. This in no way has the same feeling as did the bhof offering . This could actual hurt the hobby I hope those that have purchased with limited funds reconsider this really is not a unique coin it’s 3/4 oz of gold that’s it. Just checked secondary market the bay 10 total coins sold no real premium after all fee’s

I BET EBAY LIKE IT, YOU(FLIPPERS) MADE TONS OF MONEY FOR THEM. LMAO!

cagcrisp,

Breaking News:

Do you have a link/source for this or were you just joking or being sarcastic here? I can’t find any confirmation but maybe I’m not looking in the right places.

cagcrisp,

Thanks! I know I’d be very interested in buying if the Mint went ahead with such an offering (and I think it would add more fuel to my theory that they’re trying to expand the product portfolio, Perth-style).

CO I hope not. Coin of the week? No thanks. Nothing against the other world mints (most of their populations are small, with even less people collecting). The Mint actually experienced a “too many offerings” problem that they then fixed with the two commemorative a year limit (though there has been creep with other offerings).

61. Jon in CT says

From the Mint’s 1PM Facebook press release:

Translation: We don’t want to see any more people trampled outside of our facilities because of our harebrained ideas about how to conduct lottery-type special retail sales — but we really don’t care at all about what happens outside the ANA convention in Rosemont, IL.

@Jon in CT, YOU are WRONG in putting up the Link attached to my comment. MY comment:

“@CaptainOverkill, I got it off of FB from another coin publication…” Was NOT pertaining to the Mint’s FB page. The link I was referring to was AS I SAID “another coin publication” and had NOTHING..I REPEAT NOTHING to do with the Gold Kennedy. It was in reference to the 2015 reverse proof proof set…

63. Jon in CT says

Sweetie, don’t get your panties in a bunch because of such a small misunderstanding. 😆

64. Lee says

Gary – I can’t agree more about big dealers. I hope they take a bath for the games they are playing to make a buck. They can choke on it. L

By the way, the lower-case “brad” at 11:44 am was NOT me. I guess I’ll have to change my handle if someone else is going to hang out here and post links to stuff.

Brad – I couldn’t help but think of that Rosseta Stone language commercial, “My nom is Brad” when you mentioned the need for a name change.

67. Laurence Ramos says

The biggest coin dealers ripped of the coin collecting hobby, Silver town has 44 gold Kennedy’s for sale on Ebay right now. for two days of sales at the coin show? BOYCOTT Silver town.