Palladium bullion sales to commence September 25

Note: The above is a graphic rendering. The first publicly available photos of the 2017 palladium Eagles can be viewed here.

Update: In a follow-up email, the Mint announced that “after depletion of the initial inventory, the United States Mint will not offer additional quantities for release later in 2017.” The email did not indicate how many coins are in the initial inventory.

As of 9/18/17 at 7 p.m., Mint News Blog sponsor APMEX is taking preorders for the coins.

The Mint announced today (September 18) that it will begin first-ever sales of a 1-ounce American Eagle palladium bullion coin to Authorized Purchasers (APs) commencing September 25.

As with American Eagle gold and silver bullion coins, the palladium bullion coins will be made available to the public through the Mint’s AP network. Authorized Purchasers consist of major coin and precious-metals wholesalers, brokerage firms, banks, and other participating financial intermediaries. The coins will be made available to APs at a 6.25% premium over the prevailing price of palladium.

Public Law 119-94 requires the secretary of the Treasury to mint and issue palladium bullion coins weighing 1 troy ounce of .9995 fine palladium, with a face value of $25.00, in such quantities as the secretary determines appropriate to meet demand. (Fractional sizes are not authorized.)  Title 31 U.S.C. Section 5112(v) authorizes the secretary to mint and issue both Proof and Uncirculated versions.

As mandated by the law, the obverse design of the palladium coin is an adaptation of Adolph A. Weinman’s Winged Liberty design, which was used on the obverse of the so-called Mercury dime. The reverse design is based on Weinman’s eagle design for the 1907 American Institute of Architects (AIA) gold medal.  In developing the coin, the Mint was able to utilize the original reverse plaster of the AIA gold medal. This is the first time Weinman’s AIA design appears on a U.S. coin.

Comments

1. John Q. Coinage says

Pretty cheesy rendition, hope it looks better in persin! I am ready to trade my 1oz Credit Swiss bars for a couple……

2. John Q. Coinage says

CAg they waited Sooooooooo long…..the price was a great opportunity for years, not sure now, all PM down today EXCEPT Pd!!

3. KCSO says

APMEX’s “as low as” price shown on the “Recently Viewed” scroll bar is $1,053.89

So, $938 + 6.25% = $996.63 AP Cost – $1,053.89 = $57.27 dealer premium.

So there’s a price bogey to beat.

Though the “as low as” is likely for a Monster Box.., Cag, how many of those you throwing down on???

4. MarkInFlorida says

Is anyone taking pre-orders for these? I hate to buy at the top of the market, but if I sell the Russian ones I have and the premium isn’t too high… Hey, if everyone sells their existing palladium to buy this, the price might come down!

5. cagcrisp says

@KCSO, I like the design.

As yet I’ve never seen a mintage.

I don’t buy anything unless I see a mintage number.

There’s got to be a Lot of people that know the mintage.

I don’t like others seeing my cards and I can’t see theirs.

One year ago Palladium was $250 Less than Today’s price.

Could be a Lot of things converging at the Wrong time at the Wrong price (or Right time at the Right price).

Price doesn’t bother me as much as mintage…

6. KCSO says

Cag – I don’t think you’re going to see a mintage.., you’ll know what that is just like we know what an AtB BU mintage is

7. cagcrisp says

Here was a Price Guesstimate I made 6 months ago:

• cagcrisp says
    March 17, 2017 at 1:54 pm

On the Palladium 1 oz Bullion coin. ..

MarkInFlorida said “few dollars over spot”

KCSO said “39.00 over spot”

I’ll throw out Another number: $200 over spot.

When it’s all said and done, I will be surprised IF you can purchase a 1 oz. Palladium Bullion coin for Less that $200.00 over spot…

No mintage limit. It’s base d on sales like all other bullion, though it is true some folks know how many they made, but we won’t until it’s a done deal.

9. cagcrisp says

@KCSO, I Agree that I will probably never see a mintage number.

With the ATBs , ASEs and AGEs you know that None of Current mintages will ever get close to the maximum mintage numbers of the past.

This Palladium could be 30k or it could be 100k.

I don’t like that.

IF I never see a mintage number then I will just set it out or purchase on secondary market After the Mint quits selling to APs.

Like I said the price doesn’t bother me as much as mintage.

I predict close to 30 than 100K for many reasons, but you will have to read my article later for more.

I will likely wait for the proof coming probably in 2018.

11. Natatack says

Wondering if a proof version will be following soon with a smaller set mintage, not sure what that may do to the collectors premium for the bullion version.

They are planning to do a proof next year, but I think things are up in the air until they see how the
    bullion does.

13. Mint News Blog says

@Gary, I’ve added a note that the images shown with the post are just a graphic illustration, not live coin photos. We’ll add live photos as soon as they’re available — no doubt they’ll be much more attractive!

14. Jerry Diekmann says

Before the Mint came up with the idea of a palladium coin, the metal was selling for around $600.00 an ounce. Now it’s over 50% higher. Looks like there are some speculators and cagcrisps’s “big boys” out there ready to make another killing off coin collectors and the public. I will pass on this “offering”.

APMEX is accepting pre-orders – eve Mon. 18 Sept. 2017
    Projected available date: 6 Oct. 2017
    Placed order @$1,069.49 per palladium American Eagle – est. time 2300 HR E.T. 18 Sept. 2017.
    Thanks to all for responses to my earlier palladium availability query.
    Spot @ time of my order: $934.60 per oz. palladium.
    Hope info is of interest.

Semper Fi
    Silky sends

16. TemplePriesttess says

Why does the mint keep recycling classic designs? When they do come up with something new, why must they make a hundred thousand of them! You would think the mint would have taken a lesson from Marvel or DC. Change it up…and often.

17. So Krates says

30-40K will be plenty. It has the reverse going for it, but $135 on top of a high spot price is too much. You can get a Maple for $100 less. Will wait to pick one up when the APs realize what the commissioned study concluded – demand for a Pd bullion coin is weak.

Pd Maples

Year….Sales…..Mintage

2005….62,919…..62,919

2006….68,707…..68,707

2007….15,415…..25,109

2008….9,694…….9,694

2009….40,000…..65,000

2010….25,000…..25,000

18. Tom says

The problem with this particular coin is it being palladium. A very tough sell. The only things that will carry it forward is a low mintage and spot increasing.

19. Darek says

If anyone is planning to buy American Gold Eagle here is a code for the free budget shipping:
    AEGOLD2017. Expires 10/15/17

20. Sith says

So Krates – Thank you for the info from the last thread.

Palladium, why can’t they bring back Buffalo fractional bullion

21. Sith says

To elaborate I think the mint is missing the point. I can go down to my local pawn shop etc and sell my gold\silver bullion, and even platinum can be sold relatively easy, as it has uses in jewelry, and is a status symbol of wealth, Anyway when I see a palladium credit card, I will start to invest in palladium bullion

FYI
    The J.P. Morgan Palladium Card, was re-branded the J.P. Morgan Reserve Card, and it was an invitation-only Visa credit card.

22. Goat says

This is a hard purchase. “Price “,
    Since Sept. 22, 1986 – Present only a short time (Dec. 2000 – Feb. 2001) in this history has the price been this high.
    In , 372 months only 3 months the price has been higher. Not very good odds for the purchaser. What a great time for the mint to unload (their) cheap moldy stock.
    This is a beautiful coin, but my prediction one could purchase this coin at a lower price within the next 10 yrs. , even a graded 70 so will not have to worry about taking on a lower grade in OGP. I think even with low mintage numbers one will still purchase cheaper (It’s happen to Platinum coins). It’s hard to wait on this one but I will, due to price.

23. Tom says

Currently, JM Bullion is selling at $99.00 over spot. The spread may tighten later, but you can bet prior to that, the re- purchase price will NOT feel good for the seller.

24. Xena says

I’ll pass on palladium.

Queen’s Beast Unicorn is up for pre-sale. Looking good! They are keeping up with the high standard set by the first one.

Haven’t posted in a while. My non-Britannia Falklands came from Pobjoy a couple of weeks ago. Looks good – nice little 2-coin set. Also ordered a BVI Pegasus while I was there. Thanks again to Louis for the gouge on the Britannia.

I, along with 2 other co-founders, are almost ready to launch Fairfax County’s new coin club. Announcement coming soon – rolling out info at VNA this weeked. Anyone going?

25. MarkInFlorida says

Here are the prices I’ve seen today:
    APMEX $1049

17EC 2017 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ 1,475 + 12
    17ED 2017 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/4 OZ 2,364 +50
    17EE 2017 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/10 OZ 9,917 +174
    17EF 2017 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 8,446 +166

17EG 2017 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ 123,711 +803

17EH 2017 AM EAGLE GOLD UNC 1 OZ 4,499 +677

17EJ 2017 AM EAGLE PLATINUM PROOF 1 OZ 8,992 (46)

17EL 2017 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 13,187 +119

17CD 2017 BOYS TOWN SILVER UNC 9,834 + 28
    17CE 2017 BOYS TOWN CLAD PROOF 16,218 + 50
    17CF 2017 BOYS TOWN CLAD UNC 14,176 +30
    17CG 2017 BOYS TOWN 3-COIN SET 5,080 + 15

17CH 2017 LIONS CLUBS SILVER PROOF 65,097 +106
    17CJ 2017 LIONS CLUBS SILVER UNC 16,439 +22

Two things to keep in mind:

1.) the palladium eagle is high relief, and this was confirmed to me by the USM

2.) shop around! I just saw it for $1,021 at JMB.

34. cagcrisp says

@Joe M. “Why are they unavailable? Packaging?”

The Mint originally sold 217,514 Launch Week so packaging shouldn’t be a problem. The returns appear to be the problem and if/when the Mint decides to make coins available again or just call it quits.

My Guess the Mint will Not leave $900,000+ on the table with Overall sales as Dismal as they are.

The Mint needs all the revenue and all the profits it can get..

Any reactions to CCAC recommendations on 2019 ATB designs? This will likely be covered here soon. I think some are quite good, but others not so much, and some of the other choices were better. At least no birds or rocks.

36. earthling says

Cryptocurrency is the answer for the US Mint today. It’s the hott game in town today. Why fight it? Jump on the wagon.

37. Joe M. says

@ cagcrisp
    Thank you.
    I’m also wondering if TV Mike might have a big order in the works, or does he have too many???
    😉

Okay, I’ll go out on a limb here, and say that Mark and Silky have purchased or committed to buying the Pd Eagle. I’m good for one.

Who else?

Who else has or will buy the Pd Eagle?

I’m just trying trying to gauge overall interest..,

So 3 regulates on MNB thus far, Anyone else?

KML? A&L?

Friends,

To answer the question, “Why does the Mint keep recycling classic designs?” look to the authorizing legislation.

It was Congress, not the Mint, that passed the American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act.

This congressional act mandates the designs for both obverse and reverse.

“Congress authorizes, and the Mint executes.”

40. smalltimecollector says

I bought a single one. I like it.
    I believe a single run of these, representing the first Pd coin struck by the mint does it for me.
    Since I don’t drink, smoke, use illicit drugs or pay for pleasure, I’ll spend some money and enjoy it!

41. Scott says

Another overpriced bullion coin that will lose money. Palladium is already overpriced. Why pay an additional ridiculous premium for one of these just to say you have one.

F.Y.I.:

SD Bullion via 0659 HR ET email reports 15K mintage of Palladium American Eagle.

Price @ 1022 HR ET, today 20 Sept. 2017 – Wed., $118.23 + spot ( 1 coin).

Semper Fi
    Silky sends

43. cagcrisp says

@Silky, thanks for the 15k mintage number. I knew that the APs would know what the mintage numbers would be…

44. joe says

I am fine with the design, and picked one up on pre-order from Provident. I definitely wouldn’t spend extra to pick up a graded one (or have it graded myself). The premium for this coin is high enough as it is.

45. CW says

The people who cannot sell Pd need new dealers. I never had an issue in my small town in the SW. I am guessing many have never held it, who think that.

46. Jerry Diekmann says

KCSO – I might buy a palladium proof next year; hopefully the price will have retreated to what it has been in the past, before the speculators got wind of this new Mint coin and started to drive the price up. They are the ones responsible for ruining what was once a neat hobby.